Weight-Loss Nutrition and supplement studies

Weight-Loss

Trusylver

Sport and Exercise Coach
Staff member
There are new nutritional studies being released all of the time, If you have an interesting peer reviewed study post it here, it is helpful to have the science to backup or prove wrong some of the theories around weight loss.

Risk of Adverse Outcomes in Females Taking Oral Creatine Monohydrate: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis

This is a meta analysis for Creatine, which has been studied to death but rarely with female study participants. Creatine is a well known safe performance enhancer for exercise in short bursts (weightlifting, powerlifting, sprinting)

The highly heterogeneous outcomes of dietary intervention studies suggest that some individuals have better outcomes for specific diets than
others. Therefore, the objective should be to match each person to their individual best diet
Astrup, A., Magkos, F., Bier, D. M., Brenna, J. T., de Oliveira Otto, M. C., Hill, J. O., … Krauss, R. M. (2020). Saturated Fats and Health: A Reassessment and Proposal for Food-based Recommendations: JACC State-of -the-Art Review. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. doi:10.1016/j.jacc.2020.05.077

Saturated Fats and Health: A Reassessment and Proposal for Food-based
Recommendations: JACC State-of -the-Art Review

Condensed Abstract

Condensed Abstract: Overall, the results of randomized clinical trials and observational cohort
studies do not support a rationale for population-wide restriction of dietary saturated fat to a
target below current intake levels. Furthermore, lower cardiovascular disease risk cannot be
confidently inferred from reduction in plasma low-density lipoprotein cholesterol concentrations
induced by such a dietary restriction. Conversely, a reciprocal increase in carbohydrate intake
can lead to unfavorable changes in cardiometabolic risk factors. A food-based approach to
guiding saturated fat intake is warranted particularly since foods have a complex matrix, and
their health effects cannot be predicted by the content of any individual nutrient.

Saturated Fats and Health: A Reassessment and Proposal for Food-based Recommendations: JACC State-of -the-Art Review - ScienceDirect

This is one of the big ones

Herbalife is a massive MLM supplement company, it is often pushed both by new members and spammers trying to suck people into the pyramid scheme, I have posted stuff about this company before, but these studies/articles look at the health implications of the products.

Herbalife - LiverTox - NCBI Bookshelf (last updated 2018) The LiverTox list is worth looking through if you have any liver concerns

Herbalife or Herbadeath? article about Herbalife products with heavy metals, toxins, psychotropic substances, and pathogenic bacteria.

Sci-Hub | Slimming to the death: Herbalife® associated fatal acute liver failure – heavy metals, toxic compounds, bacterial contaminants and psychotropic agents in products sold in India. Journal of Clinical and Experimental Hepatology | 10.1016/j.jceh.2018.08.002 a scientific paper referred to in the above article.

This is one of the big ones

Herbalife is a massive MLM supplement company, it is often pushed both by new members and spammers trying to suck people into the pyramid scheme, I have posted stuff about this company before, but these studies/articles look at the health implications of the products.

Herbalife - LiverTox - NCBI Bookshelf (last updated 2018) The LiverTox list is worth looking through if you have any liver concerns

Herbalife or Herbadeath? article about Herbalife products with heavy metals, toxins, psychotropic substances, and pathogenic bacteria.

Sci-Hub | Slimming to the death: Herbalife® associated fatal acute liver failure – heavy metals, toxic compounds, bacterial contaminants and psychotropic agents in products sold in India. Journal of Clinical and Experimental Hepatology | 10.1016/j.jceh.2018.08.002 a scientific paper referred to in the above article.

I tried Herbalife a couple of years ago. Glad I hated it and canned it after a few weeks
Didn't get a refund though

Melatonin and human mitochondrial diseases

Melatonin is now used for insomnia, especially the insomnia associated with attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder, insomnia caused by beta-blockers, delayed sleep phase syndrome, rapid eye movement sleep behavior disorder, and the sleep difficulties in children associated with developmental disorders such as intellectual disabilities, autism, and cerebral palsy. Melatonin is also used to reduce the side effects of stopping smoking or as a sleep remedy after stopping the consumption of benzodiazepines. It might also be used for mild mental impairment, bipolar disease, depression, seasonal affective disorder, Alzheimer's disease, schizophrenia, epilepsy, dementia, stress, delirium, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, endometriosis, fibromyalgia, tinnitus, nonalcoholic liver disease, chronic fatigue syndrome, age-related vision loss, restless leg syndrome, jaw pain, nerve pain, weakness, sarcoidosis, migraine and tension headache, benign prostatic hyperplasia, irritable bowel syndrome, osteoporosis, tardive dyskinesia, acid reflux disease, infertility, aging, menopause, metabolic syndrome, inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). Recovery after surgery, agitation due to anesthesia, inability to control urination, various cancers including breast, brain, lung, prostate, head, neck, and gastrointestinal tract cancers.

of interest to members may be the section - Melatonin and obesity

Previously I tried to read a lot about food, its impact on life, on the body, but I realized that the books are either too complicated or meaningless. I always try to find the most important information in short, but it doesn't always work out. I know only Herbalife, the rest are new for me. Thank you.

Previously I tried to read a lot about food, its impact on life, on the body, but I realized that the books are either too complicated or meaningless. I always try to find the most important information in short, but it doesn't always work out. I know only Herbalife, the rest are new for me. Thank you.
As far as I can tell the main things to look out for are:
- sticking to mostly homecooked meals with
- protein and some fat in every meal as well as
- plenty of veg (including legumes) and some fruit, plus of course
- mostly water and unsweetened teas/coffee for hydration
That way you won´t go far off health-wise. Yes you still need to control calories to some extent but if you go that route you´ll have a pretty good idea of how much you´re taking in anyway.

Branched-Chain Amino Acid Supplementation Does Not Preserve Lean Mass or Affect Metabolic Profile in Adults with Overweight or Obesity in a Randomized Controlled Weight Loss Intervention - PubMed

Conclusions: BCAA supplementation does not preserve lean mass or affect insulin sensitivity in overweight and obese adults during weight loss. A higher protein diet may be more advantageous for lean mass preservation.

Back