No Love for My Body

I looked at what food I was making for work today. Lunchbox super healthy. Snack super healthy. Drink not super healthy. Oat milk with almond butter, chia seeds and instant coffee. Somewhat healthy on the surface. But how does the oat milk make me feel? Heavy. How does the coffee mix make me feel? Jumpy. Changed the oatmilk to water with 10% oatmilk for flavor. Skipped the coffee mix. I feel much more comfortable with this drink now.

I drink a lot of unsweet almond milk, only 30 calories per cup. You might try that, never had oatmilk so I don't know how they compare. You seem to be doing well refining the diet.

Finding worthwhile swaps is so helpful! I like neither coffee nor milk (dairy or non-) so I have no opinion on this specific one but if it makes you feel good I'm all for it :)

You know that calorie deficient feeling you get? Headachy and tired. Feeling that right now. I think it's a good sign right? I haven't been trying eat less. Just being more in control.

When I get headachy and tired the first few days after getting back on track it's usually a sign I'm eating less sugar (or caffeine). Once I'm past that I only get it when my calories are TOO low. Which puts me at risk for binging.

When I get headachy and tired the first few days after getting back on track it's usually a sign I'm eating less sugar (or caffeine). Once I'm past that I only get it when my calories are TOO low. Which puts me at risk for binging.
That's what I think it is.

I was thinking philosophically about food choices. Definitely there is a range of tastiness of foods, and some are near the top and some not. But then I asked myself, why would you want to always eat the tastiest foods? It would sort of cheapen the enjoyment of eating if you were to solely focus kn the best tasting foods. You would do better to eat foods that are 7.5 out of 10 on the tastiness scale and stay away from anything higher than that. But honestly I have a history of going for foods towards the top, and my overall experience with eating has not been great.

I take this 7.5 approach to happiness in general. I try to stay at a steady 7.5 out of 10 on the happiness scale. That way I am never too happy, and I have less moments of unhappiness. I am always at a satisfactory level. Trying to reach 10 out of 10 happiness is unsustainable and results in more extreme low points.

That's basically what Greg Doucette says about his Circle Diet: he makes a (symbolic) graph plotting hunger level against the tastiness of food and tells you to eat foods that are within a circle on that graph where the food is tasty enough for you to really like it but not so tasty you want to binge. Of course if you're extremely hungry (or very food-motivated) even plain cottage cheese can be delicious and binge-worthy while when you're full (or your body doesn't really want you to gain more weight) you're more likely to binge only on hyperpalatable food like icecream or burgers. So the circle shifts depending on the situation - and it's best to avoid both extreme hunger and hyperpalatable foods to be on the safe side. Healthy food isn't tasty enough for you? Improve your cooking skills and/or add a nice sauce to bring it into the circle of acceptable food. Want icecream but are afraid you won't be able to stop? Make your own, healthier version that's only 8/10 instead of 10/10 and will give you some nutrional benefits while you're at it.

I am happy to say that I have finally been able to be very consistent with my eating, and I am starting to see payoff with my weight loss. I was a bit cranky last night, but kept apologizing to my wife about it. And she was very supportive. I think a bit of crankiness might be inevitable when losing weight. But it does feel good to see even a little weight loss. I have been unable to lose weight at all for a while now.

The most important is to keep the weight, I guess we all need to find the way to lead a healthy lifestyle forever not temporaly

I guess we all need to find the way to lead a healthy lifestyle forever not temporaly
Absolutely, well said Natalya. And it is harder to do that say, that is for sure.
I take this 7.5 approach to happiness in general. I try to stay at a steady 7.5 out of 10 on the happiness scale. That way I am never too happy, and I have less moments of unhappiness. I am always at a satisfactory level. Trying to reach 10 out of 10 happiness is unsustainable and results in more extreme low points.
An interesting and wise observation about yourself. I think striving for the most happiness is always best, most in the long run that is not highs followed by lows. Never really thought about it, but I think I try for that 10 all the time, maybe I will try to think harder about this. The way you have Kyle.
I was thinking philosophically about food choices. Definitely there is a range of tastiness of foods, and some are near the top and some not. But then I asked myself, why would you want to always eat the tastiest foods? It would sort of cheapen the enjoyment of eating if you were to solely focus kn the best tasting foods. You would do better to eat foods that are 7.5 out of 10 on the tastiness scale and stay away from anything higher than that. But honestly I have a history of going for foods towards the top, and my overall experience with eating has not been great.
Kind of the same here, I have always gone for the most powerfully flavored foods, if that is what you mean. Lots of (too much probably) Tabasco on things and lately using unsweetened cocoa powder are just examples. Interesting insight Kyle, I will have to think about this one as well.
You know that calorie deficient feeling you get? Headachy and tired.
I have to agree with LaMa, I am not sure the headaches are normal. In my year and a half plus of consistent calorie deficit I never had headaches, and I felt more energetic than I do now. I thought of it as my body and mind pushing to get out and forage harder for food. And being honest my happiness was averaging higher than now... But I guess we are all different, hope you can get past this one.

Kyle, I am impressed with the good thought and personal analysis you are giving things now. Different from the Kyle I remember, a change for the better! Or maybe you are just posting more of it now, either way good for you, keep it up!

A thought about stress. I ALWAYS worry about other people's problems, my family, my company, my community, my country, etc. But when it comes down to it, I am always left stuck with MY problems, and other people's problems don't even mean much. I really need to make some strong effort to stop worrying about other people's problems and worry about my own. Otherwise I am not going to be able to take care of myself. The stress of worrying about other people is just killing me.

everywhere unstable situation and when it'll be change nobody knows, we need to learn be happy in any situation) I'm trying do not worry because I can't control everything and everybody lol
I am trying. But this is really hard. Not to make excuses, but it seems like people are not very understanding of this kind of position. They always seem to expect results. So to say "I just can't control everything" probably wouldn't fly as an excuse. But maybe people can be more understanding than I think. Do they have a choice? Why is this so hard for me? I have to get my head on straight.

I used to struggle with Weltschmerz a lot and it just crushed my spirit and energy levels. It took a long time to learn to stop the ever-speeding wheel of worries in my head and just... change the subject in my head. I'm still not perfect at it, of course, and I don't want to get to the other extreme (callousness) either. But it's a skill you can learn by practice, like a new language or riding a unicycle. It often helps to remind myself that worrying or feeling sad won't help anyone so I might as well do something fun and recharge my batteries for the situations I can help.

I had another hard day. Life just won't leave me alone. I really need some spiritual/mental enrichment. But honestly religion doesn't do much for me these days, even though I am religious. So I decided to go back to regularly listening to my daily talk radio and to make it my priority. It always does a lot for me mentally, more than any religious activity. It is conservative content and matches my religious values. It is just as good for me.

Back