Weight-Loss No binge, no purge - one day at at time.

Weight-Loss

alligatorob

Respected Member
Setting this challenge up at the suggestion of Rob B. Rob, Vic and I have been doing a no binge, no purge, aka no b/p pact for the past week or so and I for one have found it very helpful. Now we are opening up the challenge to anyone who needs or wants it.

Not big on rules, but it seems to me that it would be best if posts are anti-binge, not pro. As to the purge thing, I can honestly say I don't know much about it, I've tried but just couldn't do it, so I got fat instead. I think it is pretty closely related to the binge thing so its the no b/p challenge. And all you have to do it stop bingeing and purging today, no long term commitments. This is a one day at a time thing. What you did yesterday, or even earlier today doesn't matter, if you want to commit to not bingeing or purging right now are welcome! No waiting.

I know bingeing and purging are not everyone's problems, and not 100% of most folks problems, but I do believe we would all feel better and better about ourselves if we don't do it, not today anyway. I am sure I have as much or more bingeing experience as anyone here, I can probably match anybody with failure stories, deciding not to purge in the morning and doing it by evening was my mode for over 60 years. So I have some idea as to what it can do to a person.

An unimportant issue is spelling I say bingeing, Rob B says binging, I think either are ok, see Bingeing or Binging–Which Is Correct? . No matter how you spell it, if you want to stop it post here.

So I will start, I was successful in not bingeing today, and I feel good about that. Who will join me tomorrow?

So far so good, its morning here. I am traveling today and may not be able to post tonight, but will be back tomorrow.

if there is a certain amount of planning involved, is it still a binge?

about every three weeks i go to Onami... all you can eat Asian(ish) cuisine. i have to say 90% of what i eat there is sashimi w/ pickled ginger and wasabi (... nothing better to clean out the sinuses...!)... ok, aside from ending with one or two scoops of green tea ice cream. i certainly won't deny it's a sort of binge... but i really don't feel that bad about it.

now a few days ago, i unexpectedly had access to an insane amount of pizza and did have more than i should have... that i regretted the next day... a little. it was inside my eating window... and com'on ... free pizza?

i have thought i read/ heard somewhere that a non-trivial bit of digestion goes on before food even has a chance to make an internal U-turn.... i wonder how many people factor that into the effectiveness & risk.

Last edited:
Hi all! Rob, thanks for putting this thread together and the intro post. I did not binge today and I feel pretty good. I counted the days since we started and today is day 18. That's a pretty good run for me since I was on that roller-coaster before.

Great job, Rob and Vic and misty! Good to see you here, misty!

I'll see you tomorrow.

Good for you Vic, Misty and Rob!

I managed not to binge today, but it was kind of hard this evening. I was on a business trip to California and flew back late. I did not eat dinner, I could not find anything easily. On the way home from the airport it was hard. Its about an hour drive from the airport home, and my usual routine for years has been to stop at McDonald's or some place like that and get a bunch of stuff to eat on the way home, it was a favorite binge. I sure thought a lot about that as I drove, it would sure have been easy to give in, but I didn't.

Let's do this again tomorrow!

if there is a certain amount of planning involved, is it still a binge?
I don't think what you describe should be considered a binge, not if its a part of your planned diet, you've lost a lot of weight on that diet.

You raised my curiosity about how a binge is defined. In my case its always been that I knew one when I saw it, or experienced it, never tried to define it. Here is some binge features I copied from Wikipedia that makes sense to me:
  • Eating much faster than normal, perhaps in a short space of time
  • Eating until feeling uncomfortably full
  • Eating a large amount when not hungry
  • Subjective loss of control over how much or what is eaten
  • Binges may be planned in advance, involving the purchase of special binge foods, and the allocation of specific time for binging, sometimes at night
  • Eating alone or secretly due to embarrassment over the amount of food consumed
  • There may be a dazed mental state during the binge
  • Not being able to remember what was eaten after the binge
  • Feelings of guilt, shame or disgust following a food binge
Flyer, the way you describe your once every 3 weeks large meal doesn't seem to me to fit these characteristics. That said you are welcome to join us, particularly if you still feel the cravings, the urge to binge, even if its only occasionally and resisted.

I have been guilty of everything on the list, many times over. Not all at any one time, or with any one binge, but over time I've hit them all.

Good for you Vic! Neither did I. Based on what Rob B said in his diary I think he is probably good today too. Hope to hear from Misty.

I have not binged since I began this diet in May, but I know I am never more than 5 or 10 minutes away from one, I fight the urge a lot. Reading and posting here helps with the battle.

Great job, Rob and Vic!

Unfortunately ended up bingeing last night. I couldn't fall asleep and I was emotional. I was chatting with someone and I let myself mindlessly eat in the process. It was a subjective loss of control and eating a large amount in a short amount of time from the list above. I didn't eat anything I consider unhealthy though, just too much of it and the scale this morning actually registered one pound less than yesterday - 191.4. Go figure that!

It was 2680 calories in the span of about 2 hours. Protein bars, tortillas with Swiss cheese, pistachios, and a bar of dark chocolate.

I don't feel guilty about it - maybe I feel that I got away with it because of the scale or maybe I needed it. I do kind of feel like I let you down, Rob, although I know better. Today is a new day and I will focus on not bingeing today.

Good for you Vic, Misty and Rob!

I managed not to binge today, but it was kind of hard this evening. I was on a business trip to California and flew back late. I did not eat dinner, I could not find anything easily. On the way home from the airport it was hard. Its about an hour drive from the airport home, and my usual routine for years has been to stop at McDonald's or some place like that and get a bunch of stuff to eat on the way home, it was a favorite binge. I sure thought a lot about that as I drove, it would sure have been easy to give in, but I didn't.

Let's do this again tomorrow!

It's always difficult when travelling. I'm not sure there is a solve for that, especially in North America sometimes. When I visited Turkey, there was a local grocer nearby and I stocked up on apples, cucumbers and nuts to help me through periods of travel and help balance blood sugar. Good on you for not giving in! Though at McDonalds, sometimes when I am hungry, they sell apple slices here in Canada and I usually get a coffee/tea. Coffee for me, acts as an appetite suppressant (sad but true). I don't go past 2 cups a day but I sometimes do reach out to it if there is no choice.

Great job, Rob and Vic!

Unfortunately ended up bingeing last night. I couldn't fall asleep and I was emotional. I was chatting with someone and I let myself mindlessly eat in the process. It was a subjective loss of control and eating a large amount in a short amount of time from the list above. I didn't eat anything I consider unhealthy though, just too much of it and the scale this morning actually registered one pound less than yesterday - 191.4. Go figure that!

It was 2680 calories in the span of about 2 hours. Protein bars, tortillas with Swiss cheese, pistachios, and a bar of dark chocolate.

I don't feel guilty about it - maybe I feel that I got away with it because of the scale or maybe I needed it. I do kind of feel like I let you down, Rob, although I know better. Today is a new day and I will focus on not bingeing today.

Ugh I am an emotional eater as well. I visited my parents today and we had a disagreement which got me upset. Not only did it mentally/physically exhaust me but I wanted to reach out to chocolate. Instead, I forced myself to take a nap, and ate some food before heading out to the dollar store to "buy chocolate". Luckily, talked myself out of chocolate and a binge. It is very difficult to deal with emotions.

Yes, I sometimes can overeat as well. Sometimes even the "moderately healthy" stuff can pack on the lbs. However, there is always tomorrow, we can always be better than we were yesterday :)

I don't think what you describe should be considered a binge, not if its a part of your planned diet, you've lost a lot of weight on that diet.

You raised my curiosity about how a binge is defined. In my case its always been that I knew one when I saw it, or experienced it, never tried to define it. Here is some binge features I copied from Wikipedia that makes sense to me:
  • Eating much faster than normal, perhaps in a short space of time
  • Eating until feeling uncomfortably full
  • Eating a large amount when not hungry
  • Subjective loss of control over how much or what is eaten
  • Binges may be planned in advance, involving the purchase of special binge foods, and the allocation of specific time for binging, sometimes at night
  • Eating alone or secretly due to embarrassment over the amount of food consumed
  • There may be a dazed mental state during the binge
  • Not being able to remember what was eaten after the binge
  • Feelings of guilt, shame or disgust following a food binge
Flyer, the way you describe your once every 3 weeks large meal doesn't seem to me to fit these characteristics. That said you are welcome to join us, particularly if you still feel the cravings, the urge to binge, even if its only occasionally and resisted.

I have been guilty of everything on the list, many times over. Not all at any one time, or with any one binge, but over time I've hit them all.

And I am guilty of all the above. Some things I googled to help with binges:
  • Do not go too long without food
  • Eat healthy fats/ proteins - more satiating
  • Eat before a shopping trip (I did this today and it saved my life)
  • Keep healthy snacks at hand
  • Don't keep binging - sometimes when I have had something unhealthy, I think oh well. I ruined the day. Someone on instagram put a post up saying, "When you trip up on your diet, it's like making a mistake with makeup. But then you don't continue to smear your face with lipstick." Maybe more relatable to a girl - but it's true, you don't purposefully make the situation worse. That kind of stuck with me.
Also a random thought, and people do not generally do this, but therapy may help with eating disorders, including binge eating. I may consider a therapist next month (this month is too crazy). I am skeptical of them but may give it a try. I have to think about it first.

Hola amigos del foro! Llevo bastante tiempo sin pasearme por aquí y leer los últimos artículos y posteos, la razón única por la que estoy posteando hoy es para compartir algo que encontró las redes y estudiando últimamente y parece tener muy buenas críticas. Quería compartirlo con ustedes ya que al fin y al cabo todos estamos buscando lo mismo. Les aconsejo que lo vean ... yo no lo he probado aún por lo cual no puedo dar mi opinión personal pero lo he comprado a ver que tal va.
Ya les comentaré que tal !!
Spam link removed

Ummm. The Keto Diet may be effective in the short-run but destroys your liver in the long-run. Would never advise it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't binge today, and it felt good.
I don't feel guilty about it ... Today is a new day and I will focus on not bingeing today.
Today is what matters, feeling guilty isn't helpful so its good you don't.

I do kind of feel like I let you down, Rob, although I know better.
Don't, you didn't. Believe me I know how easy it is to binge, I've probably binged more days that you've been alive. Lets just do well today!

Misty, interesting post, some good anti-binge advice. A therapist might be able to help with binges, couldn't hurt. How did you do today?

Hope Vic is out of he hospital soon.

I ended up bingeing again yesterday. I did feel guilty and ashamed this morning this time. It was more along the lines of self-sabotage I think as I get really close to my goal weight. I'm frustrated I can't run because of my leg but I'm going to try again, both running and no bingeing. I hope to have a positive report this evening.

No bingeing for me today thank goodness. I had some strong cravings tonight but I ate some salad and tomatoes and they passed. I ran and feel so much better about everything but my leg hurts now.

This is the first full day in my new no binge run and a re-commitment. Every time it happens, I realize how damaging they can be and they're really not worth it. Yesterday's binge was to anesthetize myself. This morning I felt the effects and felt uncomfortable and depressed but it has passed since I ran. I suspect I'll have some higher than usual cravings for a few days while I return to normal as that seems to be what usually happens. The exercise also helps with that.

How did you all do?

Back