Newbie on here, hip arthritis, knee pain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atemius

I am needing some help losing weight. My weight has spiraled out of control since the start of the new year. To complicate the matter, I was in a bad car accident when I was 16 years old. My hip socket was shattered, a foot was broken, and both legs were broken. I have a plate, ten pins, and two screws in that hip. I am 42 now, and as one can imagine, it hurts a lot more these days with my age and weight. My knee is starting to hurt a lot. I am 6'4, around 345. I keep thinking I can't hurt much more, yet it keeps getting worse. In the last several months, my limp as gotten a lot more pronounced.

I have gained about 50 pounds in the last three years, 25 just this year. I know with my size you would think I eat a lot of junk food. I am not going to lie and say I eat healthy, but it isn't a horrible diet. My blood pressure is that of a person of normal weight; I am not diabetic the last time I had that checked. I do have sleep apnea. Also, my work hours are comparable to somebody who works the graveyard shift and eat pretty horrible at work because it is free food.

As of right now, I have a job where I walk a lot and no health insurance (I have a better job offered to me with good insurance but that is a whole, another long story). When I did have insurance, the doctor did various techniques to help the hip, from steroid shot in the hip to prescribing physical therapy. This happened in the latter half of last year. None of the techniques helped. There were only two left: surgery or losing weight. The surgery had no guarantee either. The chances that surgery would help were only about 50% that it would help. The weight loss has been something I have been wanting but limited in what I can do with the extent of my injuries.

I used to ride a bicycle. I do not feel comfortable riding anymore because it seems my body is fragile anymore and am a little afraid of the occasional wreck. I used to ride 25-40 miles in one setting. I know swimming will take a lot of pressure off my joints. However, I was doing some swimming at therapy. Primarily, I was putting weights on my ankle and doing exercises in the pool, trying to build muscle and resistance back into my hip. The therapy never really did anything for me, and I felt that I just got worse. I feel like I have no energy these days. As far as the sleep apnea, I have a CPAP machine. I have had it for months but still, am struggling just to wear for a hours each night. I have tried a different mask, to no avail.

My plan is to start on the stationary cycle and do some swimming. I hope the exercise will me have me so tired to care less if a mask is on the face when I sleep at night. All I want to do is sleep and rest. I was off three days this week and did not do much, besides class. I am wanting to shred about 100 lbs, more would be better. But 100 lbs would take so much weight off my hip and knee. About 7 years ago, I was weighing about 245 and 250 and everybody thought it was an ideal weight for me.

I try to drink a lot of water, especially in the summer. My friends make fun of my for how much water I can drink. I used to do a lot of black beans with some jalapenos mixed with them. Also, there was a lot of chicken and apples in my diet. It just seems I do not have much time to fix this much anymore. I mentioned I do not a lot of energy. Lately, at home, it has been cereal and bananas. I am really picky about my milk (13 g protein, 6g grams of sugar per servering). I know I need to get back to apples in my diet. It just seems that last few times I have bought them, they have gone bad. My family has a history of cancer, diabetes, and high blood pressure. I am trying to proactive in preventing these, especially at a relatively young age.

Anyway, I was wondering if somebody had a like injury and if you had success getting your weight off. I should also mention when I was weighing 245-250, I was doing jujitsu, even with my bad hip. There is no way I could do that with my present age. Any comments are welcome. I especially would like something about boosting energy. I just have limited financial and time resources right now until I start my new job (I still do not know when that will be). As far as time resources, I work full time and go school part time.

The first step is to get your diet under control, I would suggest starting a thread in the diary section to post your meals each day so the members can make suggestions as to where changes can be made to get you moving in the right direction.

I would definitely continue with the swimming/water exercises. They are most effective for people with joint injuries since the water takes the weight off of the joint. But you can burn 1000 calorie in the gym but if you eat 2000 calories of junk when outside of the gym then you are no farther ahead. It takes dedication both in the kitchen and the gym.

Hope this can be of help.
I am 63, & have arthritis in my left hip, that limits mobility, & I have had a total right knee replacement.
I am retired scuba diving instructor with 30 years experience. I use a combination of swimming & elliptical for my training.
There is no doubt that in water activity is a great way to get exercise, & get cardio vascular training as well.
Most people though do not have the fitness level nor the swimming ability, to keep up the physical activity to really make some good gains. To address this I recommend a mask and a snorkel, to swim laps. (You'll have to ask around to find a pool that will permits their use, many don't) The mask & snorkel allow you to keep your face in the water, & breath continuously, which is very important when you're starting out. Most swimmers get out of breath quickly, until they learn the mechanics of breathing & swimming efficiently. It lets you see very clearly, (one of the reasons they are forbidden, due to gawkers). My wife & I have our prescription lenses in our masks. You might also ask around if there are skin diving programs locally , that teach mask, fins & snorkel diving (also called snorkeling or free diving). Also swimming in cooler water burns more calories, since your body must make up the heat you loose in the water.
Finally, weight loss is a simple formula. You must be in a caloric deficit to loose weight.
So you must burn more calories take you intake, or you won't loose any weight.
Don't expect immediate results:
When I started back working out it took me 6 weeks, 3 nights a week until I could my fitness level back up so I could sustain, a 30-40 minute work out.
During the 1st six week my weight fluctuated up & down a pound or two, but no real weight loss.
Once I was feeling more comfortable better at the end of my work outs, I upped it to 5 days per week, & increased intensity of my work outs.
I lost 8 pound in the next 3 week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back