Newbie Keto question

Moparnage

I have looked and haven’t really found an answer. The Keto diet is based around burning fat instead of carbs for fuel, so the diet calls for a high fat% but I just can’t eat like that.

Yesterday my diet was just 53% fat, 45% protein and 1% carb. I think that will be a typical day for me if not less fat, I had both salmon and steak yesterday.

All the websites talk about 60-75% fat calories

Will Keto still work with 50% or less of fat and still low carb?

Firstly, you do not need to be consuming a ton of fat for a ketogenic diet.

Secondly using percentages is not the best option for calculating your macros for this way of eating.

Carbs are a limit, under 50g will put most people into ketosis, many prefer to stay under 20g
Protein should be based on your lean body mass and physical activity
Fat is used as a lever to control total calorie intake, it is much better to be using bodyfat for energy rather than fat you are eating.

Carbs should come from fresh vegetables (only count net carbs from fibrous veg)

Firstly, you do not need to be consuming a ton of fat for a ketogenic diet.

Secondly using percentages is not the best option for calculating your macros for this way of eating.

Carbs are a limit, under 50g will put most people into ketosis, many prefer to stay under 20g
Protein should be based on your lean body mass and physical activity
Fat is used as a lever to control total calorie intake, it is much better to be using bodyfat for energy rather than fat you are eating.

Carbs should come from fresh vegetables (only count net carbs from fibrous veg)

Well yesterday I had 5 carbs and I had 4 today. So I think staying under 20 should be feasible.

Back