New vegetarians - Learn to eat beans, lentils and other legumes

fortyfour

If you leave these important protein sources out of your diet as a vegetarian you will probably find it hard to eat well enough to lose weight. The thing is if you go from being a meat eater to a vegetarian (or vegan) you are going to not just give up something but need to add new foods to your diet.

Dried beans, lentils and other legumes such as chickpeas are high in good carbs (they are vegetables remember) and high in protein. They are low calorie. You can eat a lot of these foods without fear. And you can prepare them in a healthy low fat kinda way. But you have to be a bit organised.

1.The key to making these foods a yummy part of your diet is learning to use spices.

2.Its a good idea to buy a pressure cooker so that after you soak your beans overnight, you can cook them very quickly in the pressure cooker.

3. Look to indian, middle eastern and mediterranean cuisines for good sources of recipes.

4. Serve the tasty spiced up beans with a bland sider like basmati rice, bread or mashed potatoes.

Chick peas are awesome. Just made a great batch of roasted red pepper hummus in the food processor earlier this week. You can eat it as a tasty dip for raw veggies such as peppers, cucumber, zucchini, carrots and the like. This is much better for you than a chemical-laden dairy based dip that you buy in the store. Remember: you are what you eat and if you eat animal product then the you are whatever the animal it came from has recently eaten.

I have laterally just started a vegetarian diet. I have been building a website since the beginning of year about dieting,fitness, exercising and etc. I have researched and written about tons of different diets and the only one really made me think and enjoyed researching was the vegetarian and vegan diet. I decided to try the vegetarian diet because even though I don't know anybody who doesn't eat meat and I my family is big on meats, I never have been. It made since to me, and I think that with everything that's going on in this world ( hormone injected chicken, fake meats lol) we should look more towards watching what we eat. I hope its not going to be too hard for me because I haven't eaten red meats in years, sometimes eat chicken but love seafood. Anybody who is looking to start or consider this diet you should check out this book, it is what I bought when making my decision. hope it helps

(removed)

And that is why all vegetarians are skinny right? Because nutritional content from vegetables/nuts/legumes etc don't count?

This is why people are overweight and will continue to be overweight. Chick peas are VERY high in carb content. Eat too much over your body's requirements and you will gain weight. Your body does not care it is from vegetables. It doesn't even know what a chick pea is! All it will know is 'CARBS.'

Back