New studies about liposuction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monster2

Does this news really come as a surprise?
Either way, it's worth reading. It's on multiple news sites across the internet.

"...fat removed during the procedure "was restored and redistributed from the thigh to the abdomen." Eckel told the press that the fat was "redistributed upstairs," mostly in the upper abdomen, but also in the shoulders and upper arms, according to a report in the New York Times. More than half of the women in the control group chose to have the liposuction surgery after the study, despite knowing what the results would be."

"...fat removed during the procedure "was restored and redistributed from the thigh to the abdomen." Eckel told the press that the fat was "redistributed upstairs," mostly in the upper abdomen, but also in the shoulders and upper arms, according to a report in the New York Times. More than half of the women in the control group chose to have the liposuction surgery after the study, despite knowing what the results would be."

I know, right? ... 'nuff said.

AI can see where the article makes sense (you are very overweight, you get liposuction and you don't change your lifestyle), but I got liposuction on my abdomen and lower/upper back because I was within 20lb of a healthy weight range for my height, and I have been fat, or at least looked fat, since FOREVER. I can remember weighing 130lbs in third grade. My body type has always been bird legs and a fat upper body. I got liposuction, and now I look like I have a FEMALE shape, and because of the procedure I have been motivated to resume a healthy lifestyle and make changes for good. A lot of people will say that I will rebound and gain weight back, but the fact of the matter is, that I wasn't ever THAT overweight (maintained a steady weight for 5 years prior to procedure). I was 173lbs when I got lipo, it removed 4 liters of fat and fluid, which is about 6-7lbs, and since then I have lost almost 20lbs. So now, instead of being a low weight with an odd body shape (upside down triangle) I look like a regular person. Before I got lipo I had run cross country, half-marathons, competed in three triathlons, and I am in the military, but I never LOOKED as fit as I was. Call me vain, but I want to look as physically fit as I actually AM. Even before, when I weighed 153, down from 210, at the end of high school and was wrapping up four years of varsity soccer, I "looked fat". No matter how many miles I ran and situps I did, my stomach was never toned. I lost weight everyhwere else. My legs looked like those of a body builder. Muscle definition without flexing, ZERO cellulite, etc. But then always the muffin top, always a size 12 jean that was so baggy in the leg but fit in the waist. No pinchable fat on my legs or butt, but handfulls of fat on my stomach and back.

Don't blame people for wanting to do this, if they're doing it from the right perspective. It's wrong for Dr's to market it as a quick-fix to over all fitness or body shape. It will not make you look like a movie star. It will give you a natural body shape. But it's also wrong for you to criticize people for wanting to increase their self-confidence and not be judged as unfit or not competitive, especially in certain social circles. And don't tell me that getting lipo is wrong for self-confidence. It's the same reason women put on make-up or use special creams for their faces or wear a pushup bra. It's even the same motivator for why most of the people are on this website!! I'm sure if most people had an extra 10,000$ laying around, and a certain part of their body was affecting them enough to make them deprssed or constantly think about it to the point of craziness, they would choose to alter it. And you shouldn't feel so prideful in your disdane for their choices. Sure sure, you lose weight because you want to be healthier. But if you ate garbage food forever and never gained weight, you are still unhealthy. But would you change your lifestyle if you looked normal and were at a healthy weight? Even if your blood pressure was crazy high and your arteries were clogged with McDonald's grease? But you still fit in a size 2 and guys flirted with you every time you went out in public, even though you didn't own a pair of running shoes or stepped foot in a gym? Doubt it.

And the title of the article "only rearranges excess fat..." is so misleading. If that were the case, my Dr. must've vaccuumed out 4 liters of my abdominal fat and injected it into my thighs and legs and butt. Then why hasn't my rear end gotten bigger? Gee, maybe because I've always maintained a certain level of fitness and I'm STILL fit.

Chelsea_morning, I realize your post is from a few years ago but I would really like to know whether you are still happy with your lipo results? I have lost 17kgs 8 years ago but nothing I did made any difference to my saddle bags (thighs). I have been a healthy weight for 8 years, although my weight does fluctuate within about 3 kgs. I am desperate to get rid of my saddle bags and I am seriously considering lipo. Any advise will be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back