New Frontier

KOL009

Ok, so here I am. Hesitated at first. In truth, one is the loneliest number. Everyone around me is obese, including myself. Multiple times, I tried to actually lose weight my own way, on my own terms, alone, etc. Did not work. I live with roommates & they like to eat. Sometimes the food they cook is very outstanding & it makes it next to impossible to avoid it or just not eat. We cook for each other & ourselves. I have fasted in the past, multiple times. Have not done so lately in a very long time. My favorite fast is a water fast in which you only consume water & nothing else. Lets say, that is very difficult. Especially for me. I find myself fasting & there is major calorie reduction. However, the hunger pains grow each day. The 4th day is the longest I have managed to go on a water fast. I would find myself returning to my old ways & the weight comes back on & then some. Almost like a loan with interest. The principal amount & interest (additional weight) comes to get me & then I am worse than before. As much as I have been eating lately, going directly into a water fast could actually kill me. Put too much shock on the system. Instead, I thought about a juice fast for a particular amount of time in which I only consume liquids. Soups, water, milk, red bull, coffee, tea, Gatorade, & heath drinks. I say in time, I ease into the water fast, rather than going into it cold turkey. I do my juice fast for a couple of weeks & then phase out all the other liquids except water. Perhaps once or twice a week after being in a full blown water fast, I introduce juices again just to make recovery from water fasting easier. Eventually, I will need to eat solids again & that is why I think that's an important step. When I do eat solids again, it should only be vegetables & fruits for about a week. After which, I can begin eating meats. I have a plan, now I just need to follow it through. I posted this here to have a sense of accountability. If I was just posting this in a private journal, it would only be me & those immediately around me that would know about it. Those that are around me don't mind being obese but I do & would like to actually do something about it. So, I'm stating my plans here, I hope to get support from this forum. Some have posted their journey to weight loss on YouTube but that forum is not for me. I prefer this. Today is Sunday. I will start this journey on Monday. I will allow myself to have a breakfast as my last solid meal until this journey is complete.

Oh, I promise to be honest on this journey. Without honesty, there is no accountability.

Hi, KOL009, welcome to the forum. I wish you all the best on your journey. :)

Just out of curiosity, have you ever tried other methods, like calorie counting?

No, never tried calorie counting. Why? I don't expect the calorie count on those packages to be accurate. I think its only an estimate.

Well, scientifically speaking, calorie deficit (less in, more out) is the only way to lose weight. You'll be in calorie deficit while you fast, but if you are not in calorie deficit when you get back (eating normally) you'll gain it all back. Of course the calorie count on packages are estimate, but only by like 20% the most. Check other people's diaries on this forum, like aligatorbob's. He lost almost half of his weight in a year by being in calorie deficit.

Hi KOL and welcome to the forum! As long as you´re under medical supervision I have nothing against you going on a fast but I am curious what you´ll be changing this time to make sure you don´t crash on day four again.
I don't expect the calorie count on those packages to be accurate. I think its only an estimate.
An estimate is a lot better than nothing at all if you ask me. Yes, there´s a bit of give and take and you may need to adjust your intake sometimes but in my experience it´s not a bad guideline.

( I am curious what you´ll be changing this time to make sure you don´t crash on day four again.)

Great question! I thought the same exact thing. It's OK to make mistakes as long as you learn from them. Otherwise, you keep repeating them until you do learn from them. I have multiple avenues to choose from. One, I can trick my body into thinking it's full by drinking much water & also eating celery or watermelon. As you know, watermelon fills you up very fast because it to is mostly water---> hence watermelon. Or, eat celery which is such a low calorie item that you actually burn the same amount of calories just working to digest it. Therefore, your technically eating nothing. I think it will work.

I look at it as a hack job. Just like modding a game to get around some parameters. A cheat, so to speak. True, ill be consuming something other than water but the items in question allow me to do just that.

It's your choice, of course, but I personally didn't get less hungry when I ate something like celery or lettuce on an empty stomach. I'd just eat until my stomach hurt and then still want something with actual nutrients.

In the past it has worked for me. The only problem I had was getting tired of eating the same thing over & over. Back then, when I was doing that I was attempting to substitute tit for tat. Now of course, its more than just substitution. I'm at war with obesity. As stated, I had my breakfast this morning. My last solid meal. I think starting off a fast with a breakfast is very important. The breakfast consisted of grits, sausage, eggs & coffee. Deployment in progress......

I mostly juicing. Did have a few solids. One piece of chicken, small portion of beans, grits, 2 strips of bacon & an egg. Only did this to blend in some sense family is over. Nothing else. I'm already noticing the calorie deficit. Usually, when eating I gorge. To me, this is progress. Having a few solids starting out may actually help.

I lost a total of 4.4 pounds in just 3 days. Making progress. When I have cravings for food, I eat celery. It's working. I would like to get my weight down to 190 pounds. Long way to go. Baby steps. Every pound counts. Starting today, I will cease smoking, energy drinks, sodas & alternative drinks.

Back