new balloon'er'

Status
Not open for further replies.

pops

hi all, well im less than 12 hours from having my balloon fitted, ive read and re-read this forum numerous times over the last 2 weeks, but havent built up the courage to join! i guess its a case of now or never...joining the forum and losing weight!!!! any advice would be gratefully receceived, and i'd love to hear from anybody having their balloon fitted soon,

Good luck with the surgery! and welcome to posting!

well, 4 days since and im wondering what ive done to myself!! i can finally keep water down, but havent attepted any thing else as i do still feel nauseaus and the cramps are soooo painful, but at least the vomiting seems to have passed (fingers crossed) im on anti nausea tablets and painkillers, as well as the tablets to reduce stomach acid...oh and loads of gaviscon.......but am still nauseaus etc, did anybody have any luck with any alternative remidies that may help??? originally id only booked 2 days off work, but have had to take a week off (stomach bug excuse!) so i have 3 more days and am desperate to turn a corner.

Thank you wishes for replying, you seem to have lost loads, congratulatons!!

I'm having the same problem. I had mine fitted a week ago and the nausea and vomiting is still pretty bad. I haven't got back onto solids but I keep trying for soft foods. I guess we just have to persevere. I hope you feel better soon!

I'm having the same problem. I had mine fitted a week ago and the nausea and vomiting is still pretty bad. I haven't got back onto solids but I keep trying for soft foods. I guess we just have to persevere. I hope you feel better soon!

Hello,
I think for the most part the balloon is tolerated by most, but there are some that can not tolerate it, I was one of those.
I too thought I just needed to persevere, the doctor also kept telling me to hang in there. I thought it was going to get better and I would turn the corner, but after three weeks I was very dehydrated, my bloodsugar was low, I am not a diabetic, and my electrolytes were very low. I was hospitalized, the doctor that cared for me said it would not get better as nothing was getting around the balloon and that I needed to have the balloon removed. I think this is very rare, and I certainly don't want to scare anyone. I hope however what I can relay, is that for most it will get better and you will turn the corner, just make sure you know when you need to seek medical help as you may become severely dehydrated, I cant imagine what it is like for those that fly to another country and have no follow-up. I think my situation got out of hand because most of these clinics close during the holidays and I was foolish thinking "persevere just abit longer, it will get better" until a very smart friend came to my home and insisted that I go to hospital. I spent over a week, I missed 6 weeks of work, I have no sick benefits. I would not wish this experience on anyone, as I said I think this is very rare, but please don't allow yourself to become too dehydrated.
take care, and make sure you have someone following your care regarding your ongoing vomitting.

Last edited:
hello, well it will be 1 week tomorrow, i finally think i may have turned that corner, not been sick for 36 hrs, managing 3 very small mushy meals and feeling more human....at last! still in some pain from the cramps, but as each day comes, they are lessening....so back to work and a 12 hour shift tomorrow :ack2:

Stay Positive -:waving: i guess we just have to stick with it and hope things get better, my main fear was that my body wouldnt accept it and id have wasted all that money, so i guess the fact that im no where near as bad as i was is a positive, am sorry to hear youre still being sick, i had to have my anti nausea tablets changed twice before i found one that worked. keep posting and we can support each other if you'd like

well, just over 1 week now and im sooo much better, eating soft foods like fish and mash etc and best of all no nausea, sickness or cramping ..:hurray:...! im keeping my fingers crossed for you 'stay positive' that you are also feeling better and arent having any horrible complications like 'drul' had, i cant even imagine what it must have been like for you drul, one week was bad enough. On friday im off to the gym for the first time in years (with a friend for support) i am determined that i am going to use the next 6 months to really go for it, will keep you posted.

Baby boo - :waving: hello and good luck for monday

Hi Pops,

I'm really happy that things have started to improve for you :) Good luck at the gym!

Unfortunately, things aren't much better for me. I had a couple of days when I didn't throw up, but since Saturday things have gotten worse again. I can't seem to keep things down and I am having a problem with trapped air which is uncomfortable and is causing my stomach to be distended. The doctor said that for some people it can take a bit longer than 2 weeks to adjust...I hope not too much longer. I'm into my third week and it's really become disruptive to school and work...oh and sleep when I spend nights waiting to be sick arghhhhhhh. I am trying really hard to keep drinking though as I don't want to get dehydrated. I find at times drinking sports drinks that help with electrolytes help to prevent it too. Keep me updated with your progress! Thanks for your comments Drul I am certainly going to keep them in mind if this goes on much longer..

Hi Pops,

I'm really happy that things have started to improve for you :) Good luck at the gym!

Unfortunately, things aren't much better for me. I had a couple of days when I didn't throw up, but since Saturday things have gotten worse again. I can't seem to keep things down and I am having a problem with trapped air which is uncomfortable and is causing my stomach to be distended. The doctor said that for some people it can take a bit longer than 2 weeks to adjust...I hope not too much longer. I'm into my third week and it's really become disruptive to school and work...oh and sleep when I spend nights waiting to be sick arghhhhhhh. I am trying really hard to keep drinking though as I don't want to get dehydrated. I find at times drinking sports drinks that help with electrolytes help to prevent it too. Keep me updated with your progress! Thanks for your comments Drul I am certainly going to keep them in mind if this goes on much longer..

Hi Positive,
sorry to hear things got rough again. I am curious, I wonder how many clinics tell people that they may experience this. Sure after the fact, we are told that this is not uncommon...ok, why wasn't i told this before the procedure.
I am curious, how many people were told this by their clinic before electing to have the procedure??
Positive, I sure hope that things turn around. It is really rough when you are vomiting. I think most people absolutely hate the feeling of vomiting and nausea. It is like having the flu and it just keeps lasting and lasting.
Watch for excessive thirst, pinch your skin and make sure it isn't losing its elasticity, read up on the signs of dehydration and don't let it go on for too long. Its a good thing if you can keep down your gatoraide. Coconut water is also good.
Keep me posted. I hope this passes soon for you, not this two steps forward and three back but that the vomiting stops all together.
I would love to hear from others if they were told by their clinics of the possibilites of vomiting for a few weeks?
take care.

hi all, stay positive, im so sorry to hear that things havent improved much for you, do you know how much fluid was in your balloon, my surgeon used to put in 700, but too many people were really ill, so they've decided since christmas to have a 600 limit....i also had excellent aftercare and was on the phone nearly everyday, continuously changing my medication until we found some that worked, do you have this sort of support?? I hope things improve quickly for you, and you dont end up going through what drul went through, keep us posted x :seeya:

Hi Pops and Stay positive,
Glad to hear you are doing well Pops, I hope you are feeling better Stay Positive, please keep us posted.
Are you in the UK Pops?, good to hear your clinic worked so closely with you too get you through the rough times. You raise a good issue regarding the size of the balloon. 700cc's is alot, my balloon was 500'cc and still caused me problems, but I think most can tolerate that size.
I do hope clinics are being forthcoming with the challenges, and yes most can get through those first rough days or weeks but we should know that this can happen.
wishing you both success with your balloons, keep us posted.
drul

Hi Pops and Drul,

So thought I would update you...

Things have not improved for me. I have been very careful to monitor my level of dehydration and so last Thursday I knew it was time for a bit of extra help. So I went into the clinic on Thursday and Friday to get hooked up to an IV for fluids. I knew that if I left it until the weekend that it would not be good. Anyway, that made me feel better in terms of hydration and the doctor said that it might help turn me around. The next step was for me to be hospitalised for 2 days to get continous hydration.

The sickness has not stopped for me and a lot of the problem is that I have sooooo much trapped air in my stomach which will not shift. It builds up until I end up throwing up a load of air followed by the rest. So all of my efforts to keep anything down end up being wasted. Therefore, due to this and the prospect of being stuck with needles, missing more university and work I have made the decision to have the balloon removed. It has impossible for me to have any kind of 'normal' life for the past month and I do not want long term health consequences either. So, tomorrow it's coming out!

I agree Drul. I wonder how many people actually have a problem. Most clinics right now have a one size fits all option which obviously will not work for those who are not average in say height etc. I am short for a woman and short waisted. My balloon is 700 and I personally think that this has been the problem. It's too big and squished into quite a small space length wise.

Anyway, I am happy knowing that I have lost just over 20lbs as a kick start, but what a rough way to do it. I am certainly determined to keep it off and keep going on my own now. Otherwise the last month will have been for nothing. Would I do this again, even with a smaller balloon.....I would probably say no, but that is not to say that the balloon will not work for others because I'm sure that it would be beneficial for many. It isn't something to take on lightly though.

Well good luck to you Pops and to any others who are just starting out. I hope this procedure works out for you :) I will look for updates on how you are getting on!

Hi Postive,
OHhh I am so sorry that things did not get better for you as far as the balloon goes, but you sound like you have the right attitude and are being very responsible in regards to your health.
There is actually an asian study, interestingly in this study the balloon was not tolerated with asians and they related this to their size of stature.
I could not even tolerate a 500 cc's balloon. I know what you mean by not having any sense of a normal life when you are vomiting, or fighting vomiting. Even movement for me would cause me to vomit. I spent 8 grand for the balloon, than lost time in wages, so this endeavour was well over 12 thousand dollars, none of which is refundable. It angers me at times. I have contacted Health Canada as I do believe there needs to be some tracking of medical devices and some of the negative outcomes. I do not have a complaint against the doctor as I don't believe this was an issue of negligence. I do have issue with the clinic I attended not delivering what they portray to get the sales.
You are one tough lady to have persevered, in the end this isn't about not being tough enough to get through the rough days until you turn the corner, this is about making a very wise decision that your health is first and foremost. Dehydration can be very serioius, electrolyte imbalances, especially low potassium can cause heart damage. I wish you all the best, you will feel so much better after you get that balloon removed. They should instruct you to return to eating gradually.
I have gained 8 pounds back from the 30 I lost, not bad, I am mindful of what and how much I eat. Keep me posted on your progress, we can do this!!!!!!
Again, I know what you have gone through, I know its a double edge sword, on one hand feeling so relieved to get it removed but on the other hand being very disappointed that it somehow didn't work for us.
take care, keep me posted and I sincerely wish you all the best in health.
Drul

Hi Drul,

Thanks for the lovely post. I got back this evening from having the balloon removed and although my throat is agitated (to be expected) I already feel much much better, so I am happy with my decision. I agree that there is a level of disappointment that I couldn't see it through but I made the right decision for my health. I know that with fluids etc I will put back on some of the 24lbs that I've lost, but just being able to drink again is worth it and even so it's still been a kick start.

I know that there is no refund but I spoke with the clinic and I can still keep all of my appointments with their team which I feel at least will still be beneficial. Did you have that option Drul?

I hope to see the nutritionist asap too because I need more info on how best to build up eating again. Drul what kind of things were you told?

Thanks for the support :)

hi all, stay positive -i havent been on for a while and was horrified to read that you've been so very ill, i cant imagine what it must have been like, health is so important and im just pleased that youre on the road to recovery now.......i do wish you all the best on this journey, and hope that you get your strength back and return to full health asap.

Hi Drul,

Thanks for the lovely post. I got back this evening from having the balloon removed and although my throat is agitated (to be expected) I already feel much much better, so I am happy with my decision. I agree that there is a level of disappointment that I couldn't see it through but I made the right decision for my health. I know that with fluids etc I will put back on some of the 24lbs that I've lost, but just being able to drink again is worth it and even so it's still been a kick start.

I know that there is no refund but I spoke with the clinic and I can still keep all of my appointments with their team which I feel at least will still be beneficial. Did you have that option Drul?

I hope to see the nutritionist asap too because I need more info on how best to build up eating again. Drul what kind of things were you told?

Thanks for the support :)

Hi Stay Positive,
I am glad the removal went well.
How are you feeling now??? I had immediate relief although felt weak for a few weeks after. Probably didn't have my normal energy for the first month. I feel back to normal now.
I was advised not to eat raw vegs and fruits for the first couple of days , this was due to not having any food or really even liquid, I was only on ice while in hospital for 8 days. Following removal of the balloon I also was encouraged to drink milk and orangejuice as my potassium and magnesium had been low. i was also advised to take a multivitamin with minerals.
I started off with a 1000 cal diet for the first week and than gradually increased. I am now eating around 1500-1600 cals, rather I should say that is what I aim for, somedays more. For the most part I am eating healthy and my cravings for sweets, soda has not returned.
Keep me posted on your progress and yes we have to keep reminding ourself that we are tough, we went through alot with the vomiting and nausea and the disappointment of early removal, so we have to make sure we don't regain that weight. I check the forum so would love to hear updates.
Stay positive!!!
all the best on your journey to health!
Drul

Help urgent

Drul & Stay positive

I would really appreciate some advice since i feel im in the same boat like the both of you. I cant seem to tolerate the balloon but mine has been only 4 days. I think im being hasty in wanting to remove it but i definetely dont want to land up in hospital since I havent told anyone that im doing this.
can you guys pls advice me on when i should give it up?

New ballooner

Hi all I just had my balloon inserted on Tuesday in Poland and although I am quite weak I have not suffered that greatly. I completed the process with my friend who since the procedure has been in agony and decided today to have it removed before we return home which leaves me to face this battle alone! Any advice words of confort so appreciated!!

Hello new ballooner,

I am new as well. I had mine done on Tuesday. And Wednesday I had my regrets. Kicking myself for doing it. Thursday which is today is 30% better yet bad enough. Cant eat or drink much. Even water has to be in sips. So today being hopeful, I think tomorrow should be better. Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back