Need Help. Lost Big Time

meridianboy00

I am a 29 year old male who was injured at work about 5 months ago. I have put on about 20 pounds in that time. I am going to be having surgery on my back soon. My back injured is keeping me from being as active as I was while I was working so the pounds are piling on and I am losing muscles mass along with it. I really need help on a eating plan or something that will help me shred these pounds I have put on sense the accident. I was born and raised in the south so I don't really know anything about eating healthy. I do drink diet coke a lot and was thinking if I cut back on that and went to water that would help but I'm not sure. I wouldn't mind paying for a good plan for me to follow either but I thought it would be a good idea to ask around before jumping into something sense there are so many different programs out there. Any help would be much appreciated.

Hi and welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your back. I suggest start looking around the forum and reading the stickies if you haven't already

You should ask your DR or surgeon about a diet plan to help lose weight while waiting for your surgery. One thing that is very important is that you take in enough nutrients and especially protein so when you have your surgery you will heal properly.

You can also look under the nutrition forum and figure out how many calories you should take in to start losing. As far as foods go Lean meats such as chicken and fish, (Your DR may even want you to have some lean red meats due to the pending surgery) baked, roasted, or grilled is great. Cut out things like gravy and fried foods. Use whole grain breads and whole grain products. Lots of fresh veges and fruits. Skim milk products. You do need some fats so use olive oil and real butter but limit it to no more than 1 tablespoon or so a day.

Start reading the labels on everything you buy. Stay away from sugary foods and things that contain high fructose sugar.

As far as exercise goes to prevent more muscle loss you should ask your DR/Surgeon about this. See if he will give you a referral to go to a physical therapist that can teach you the proper exercises to do that won't cause farther damage or harm to your back.

These are all things you should be discussing with your DR/Surgeon.

I hope this helps some. It's good you want to be in the best health possible before your surgery. Good Luck

I am a 29 year old male who was injured at work about 5 months ago. I have put on about 20 pounds in that time. I am going to be having surgery on my back soon. My back injured is keeping me from being as active as I was while I was working so the pounds are piling on and I am losing muscles mass along with it. I really need help on a eating plan or something that will help me shred these pounds I have put on sense the accident. I was born and raised in the south so I don't really know anything about eating healthy. I do drink diet coke a lot and was thinking if I cut back on that and went to water that would help but I'm not sure. I wouldn't mind paying for a good plan for me to follow either but I thought it would be a good idea to ask around before jumping into something sense there are so many different programs out there. Any help would be much appreciated.

Hey I have a few diet plans that you can have a look at for free . As far as drinking water thats always a good healthy choice rather than Diet Coke . But Imo Diet coke will not cause you to gain weight . It has zero Sugar in it do how can it . I know it has a load of sweeteners and chemicals but so does everything we eat . Im not an expert on this tho this is just my general opinion . I put up some basic Nutrition tips a while ago they might help you out . Jay

Back