My Road Back

Yeah, the way I see it, this is just the "bad weigh in" I needed to kick my butt into gear. And today was very nearly a slam dunk!

Day 8
6/4/2021
142.4kgs (313.9lbs)

Got to work about 15 minutes early and found a delivery truck there waiting for me, so the most physical part of the day was the very first thing! Crushed it out and ate my pork banh mi afterwards. After that, the day was honestly a little slow... Had a big Ceasar salad for lunch and it was a bit much to be honest... the creamy dressing just felt a bit too heavy. Not to mention all that bloody bacon. Craving something a little lighter tomorrow I think!

I finished up at 5pm and grabbed some chicken katsu from a nearby foodcourt, ate the katsu but dodged the rice... from there I just started to walk, without an aim really. I didn't set out with the intention of walking home, it was more of a "see how I feel when I get to this spot" kind of thing... But in the end I just about did! I got to one particular part of the walk, about halfway, and found myself walking the same route as two others. It's a pretty common walk up a busy main road, but I noticed these two because they passed me... At first, I just reminded myself to keep my own pace, as they sure as hell were... but before long I found myself "racing" them. :rotflmao: I was walking like I was possessed... Overtook them both eventually (both physically much fitter than I am), and it kind of helped me power along to the home stretch.

But alas, I tapped out on the home stretch... perhaps it was due to the half hour of additional speed, but with about 15 minutes left, I saw a bus approaching while I happened to be passing the bus stop, and before I knew it I'd flagged it down and was comfortably sitting in a seat.

Still, I must've gotten a good 9km out.

I had five slices of the low carb bread left, something of a monument of the prior week's silly eating, and I ate the rest over the course of the night (about 12.5g carbs all up). I also had three small tubs of lower sugar yoghurt.

Not a slam dunk, but at least a good mid-range jumper?

Happy with today altogether!

Well, wow! No wonder you're happy with your day :)

Thanks y'all! It was a good return to form and the scales reflected it!

Day 9
7/4/2021
141.3kgs (311.5lbs)

Won't go into too many details about the food as I'm on a pretty repetitive routine at the moment... it was a pork banh mi for breakfast and a mig salad for lunch (although this time it was half Caesar and half chicken and mango)... I ate an apple and an orange over the course of the day, then visited my usual food court after work... I didn't go as well as yesterday, eating a cup of chicken katsu, before noticing that the Chinese take away was boxing up the leftovers for end-of-day sale. Grabbed a pepper chicken and a Mongolian beef, both with rice (but dodged the rice).

Didn’t walk home this time. My goal in coming weeks is to get home quickly and re-introduce gym sessions into my routine, and then improve upon those.

The long walks, while being effective, are time consuming.

Day 10
8/4/2021
140.7kgs (310.2lbs)

Pork banh mi for breakfast, then to kill some cravings I made myself a spicy tomato juice!
Really did the trick!
Big salad for lunch, then some extra hours at work!

Again, I faltered on the way home, this time stopping at the supermarket and picking up two frozen meals (both contained rice, just threw the rice away and ate the chicken parts)... also had three low carb yoghurts.

Once again, dinner was probably the biggest meal of the day. I’m not to hard on myself, as eating a big salad at 2pm, then finishing at 9 is bound to leave any normal person hungry. But it’s the main thing slowing me down at this point.

Part of what’s driving these cravings is a desire for hot food as well. Eating pork banh mi and salad everyday means the bulk of my meals are cold.

Tonight I should finish at 6, so I’ll pour my heart and soul into getting the hell out of dodge. And maybe I’ll try to order a hot, low carb lunch as well!

Day 11
9/4/2021
140.3kgs

Pork banh mi for breakfast, a spicy tomato juice to tide me over. I didn't get an official lunch break as it was busy at work, so at about 4:30pm, just before my shift officially ended, I went to the supermarket and bought some chicken skewers and a small tub of salmon with kale and potato salad... checked the carb info, there was only about 17g of carbs in it. Knocked off work and had the same dinner as last night... Picked up the same two frozen meals and dodged the rice! Also had three of the low carb yoghurts... I seem to be in a bit of a pattern at the moment! I won't call it a rut, because I'm getting results, but I'm pretty comfortable with how things are going. Training isn't on my mind at all until next week probably.

Day 12
10/4/2021
139.5kgs

Grabbed a banh mi and went to work, and again, a pretty busy day with no official lunch break. After work I stopped again at the food court and picked up some teriyaki chicken, satay chicken and pepper chicken, to be eaten without the rice. I picked up some more low carb yoghurts and that was the day.

Seeing results while still comfortable? Sounds perfect to me :)
Lol yeah, the “honeymoon period”.

I’m now also learning that the food court stuff I’m getting generally isn’t worth it. It’s okay I guess, but expensive for what it is, and tastes only slightly better than the frozen meals I buy!

Day 13
11/4/2021
139.2kgs (306.9lbs)

Today I slept in, was meant to go to work early and do a few chores, but the lure of comfy bed was too strong.

I eventually got up, and made my way to the local Japanese eatery at about 12:30pm, looking to snag some Kara'age chicken. Unfortunately they'd run out, so I got a large serve of takoyaki and two chilli chicken maki rolls. Went to the supermarket and picked up two low carb yoghurts and a small double pack of diet chocolate mousse. Then grabbed a banh mi.

I'll say it: it was an old-fashioned pig out, but much better options than I've done in the past. A month ago, the low carb yoghurt and pudding would have been pastries from the bakery, and instead of takoyaki and maki rolls, it would have been meat pies and sausage rolls. There'd probably be some instant noodles in there to.

I reclined to watch some episodes of Curb Your Enthusiasm, but dozed off and woke up hours later. For the remainder of the night, I only ate a meal replacement shake, a low carb protein bar, some nuts and a miso soup.

I'll say it: it was an old-fashioned pig out, but much better options than I've done in the past. A month ago, the low carb yoghurt and pudding would have been pastries from the bakery, and instead of takoyaki and maki rolls, it would have been meat pies and sausage rolls. There'd probably be some instant noodles in there to.
Progress is progress!
Nah, although I wanna start trying to cook once a week!

Might even start tomorrow!
Any specific dishes you´d like to try? If you don´t have much kitchen experience it´s best to stick with something simple which doesn´t require you to buy a ton of individual products you´ll only use a tiny bit each of.

Any specific dishes you´d like to try? If you don´t have much kitchen experience it´s best to stick with something simple which doesn´t require you to buy a ton of individual products you´ll only use a tiny bit each of.

I'm a fan of chucking things in the slow cooker! Hardly qualifies as cooking though lol. I've found myself eating more veggies this way! All they need is a bit of oil and come out great!

I'd like to learn how to make goulash, actually! Beautiful, hearty meal and is compatible with a carb-dodging diet! There are plenty of recipes out there, it's probably the next thing I'll try to make at home... The idea of doing it today went out the window though lol... Went into work and filled up on instant crap on the way home as usual!

Goulash is delicious, cheap, and can be quite healthy - I just hate that when I get it here it generally includes caraway seeds. Slowcooker meals absolutely do count as cooking in my book, especially if you sear things first.

Day 14
12/4/2021
139.3kgs (307.1lbs)

This could be as much due to my heavy eating yesterday as to inadequate rest, as I had to be up at about 5am for work.

Bakeries were closed, so no banh mi for breakfast, got a chicken sandwich from the Cafe next to work. Not the same amount of leafy greens as my usual breakfast, but did the trick. Worked until Midday, then, again, went to a foodcourt on the way home and ate some teriyaki chicken sans rice.

Stopped to pick up some low carb yoghurts from the supermarket and saw they were half price, so stocked up six instead of three... and ate them all over the afternoon. D'oh!

At dinner, I picked up some beef sausages, which purported to have only 3.6g of fat per sausage. This seemed extremely low, lower than I'd ever expect for sausages. But I trusted the info graph and all six for dinner.

I was sure I'd get my first training session done, but hooked into some household chores instead.

Day 15
13/4/2021
138.9kgs (306.2lbs)

Well I'm not entirely happy with the eating, but the numbers are trending downward.
Banh mi for breakfast, physical work day, usual stuff... this time I missed out on the big salads from the cafe next door, so went to the local supermarket for a small tub of potato and kale salad with smoked salmon (17g carbs) and some chicken skewers.

I had a slight win in that I dodged all the food courts on the way home, but stopped at my local supermarket again for the sans chorizo sausages. I screwed up in that I also picked up some cured meats and a small wheel of Brie to eat while the sausages cooked.

It was WAY too much fat and it left me feeling gross and shitty.

I fell into the trap of eating way too much fat when I’m not strictly adhering to keto, which just amounts to a bad eating day. Not as bad as the Thai food splurge last time, but bad all the same.

Punishment on the scales awaits.

No wheel of brie is small enough for me to want to eat it without either veggies or carbs :eek: Cured meat can be agreat snack if you're not worried about salt. You just have to compare labels and find a relatively high-protein one.

No wheel of brie is small enough for me to want to eat it without either veggies or carbs :eek: Cured meat can be agreat snack if you're not worried about salt. You just have to compare labels and find a relatively high-protein one.
I picked something dreadful lol... and I was justly punished on the scales!

I developed a rather inglorious addiction to soft cheese on my last Keto kick... it’s not a stopper, but a slower-downer (at least the amount I was eating lol). I generally try to be careful with it!

Day 16
14/4/2021
139.7kgs (308lbs)

There you go, greedy! Exactly what you deserved! At least it wasn’t the 140’s again.

Believe it or not, I’m kind of glad. These are the lessons that will put me on the right track. I knew a diet of aggressively fatty meats wasn’t ideal, and a bad day on the scales speaks louder than anything.

Banh Mi for breakfast, and again missed out on the good salads. This time though, I brought my bag of meal replacement shakes, that had been untouched for about a month, to work.

I had two meal replacements over the day and for dinner, 200g of roast beef and a serve of roast veg comprising carrot, potato and zucchini.

This morning when I put my work shirt on I noticed it felt a bit more loose and billowy, and twice over the day I was told I looked as though I’d lost weight.

I can only be so pleased after so blatantly insulting the scales, but it always a good sign!

Good day in the bank. Ship it.

Day 17
15/4/2021
138.1kgs (304.5lbs)

Cop that!

Very happy with that result! And it’s made me feel motivated!

Had to run for my bus and missed the bakery, so no banh mi for me. Had a ham toastie on panini bread, and two meal replacement shakes over the day.

About ten minutes before I finished work, the chef gave me a maxibon ice cream (evil f*cker lol)... I dead set tried to give it to my co-workers... all three of them said no... and I caved. Damn it.

200g of roast beef with mixed veggies for dinner.

If that sugary bloody ice cream messes the scales I’ll be pissed lol. Realistically though, it was an excellent day around that. We’ll see!

Back