My Multiple Joint Pains. How Can I Train Around Them?

To answer your question, Sure! I'm age 30. I tell you, I think that number is having an effect on my mind. I mean, part of my restlessness is having multiple joint pains and injury showing up in such a short space of time but also, at the back of mind is that number and the idea that that's it, from here on out my body is just going to degenerate over time. These multiple joint pains have served as a scary confirmation of that.

Your mental approach makes a huge difference. If you approach these issues as challenges to overcome I really think you will be better off in the long run. If I focus on all of the things that hurt on any given day, I can easily talk myself out of a workout or talk myself out of spending an active day doing something I love. Honestly, 30 is not a big deal. I will agree that starting at about that age, I noticed I healed more slowly, but turning 30 did not reduce my ability to do anything I wanted to do. I run faster now than I did when I was 30, I'm stronger too. I've lost some flexibility, but only because I haven't focused on maintaining it as I should. Limited time means one must prioritize, and while it would beneficial, I just haven't done so.

I don't mean to diminish what you are going through in anyway. I am saying that you can choose your approach, choose to explore solutions that help you feel better and be critical in reviewing the results you get so you can decide if you continue the intervention or toss it. In short, take a positive approach, explore, experiment, and resolve to keep going and to feel better. It may be trite, but there is power in positive thinking.

Thank you, Sure! For your assurance. I like that you said you run faster than you did when you were 30. I am trying my best to be optimistic and see that I'm not dying yet. I still want to grow and develop so much more in my physical fitness and my martial arts. I also want to explore more physical activities and develop new skills and strengths. Part of what's bummed me out this year is when I had intentions to get into parkour. It was part of my plan to expand my horizon whereby I not only get to learn something new and inspiring with my body but also a way to engage and interact more through something I'm inspired by. I went to 3 sessions and flared up my shoulder (that was before I knew for sure that it was a torn rot cuff) I had stop that ambition dead in its track and on top of that, I've had to cut out so much of my training routines. No more shadow boxing and capoeira is something I miss so bad.

I'm hoping that my shoulder will be well enough soon to start incorporating some upper exercises again.

Well let me tell you short and simple that there are many source with information on how to protect and strengthen your shoulders for the remaining years to come. A perfect look after and prevention can help better for the future.

A damage or ‘wear and tear’ of articular (joint surface) fibrous usually accompanied by an over growing of cuboid tissue, reducing of the combined space, sclerosis or solidifying of cuboid tissue at the combined area, and problems in joints.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, an update on an old thread. :)

I was just sifting through the forum and found my old thread and I thought that I would add some things I've discovered over the past 7-8 months since I started this thread.

As some answers to my own question (in case this serves anyone with similar concerns), I've discovered that there are tons of alternative movement patterns that the body has in its arsenal and even some alternate movement patterns that can still promote whatever style of sport, exercise or physical activity one could be attached to.

My fear at the time was that my body was beginning to break down and that over time I would lose the option to practice all the martial arts styles I love doing as well as the ruling out the options of taking on new physical activities that I'm eager to learn and develop some mad skills in also.

What I've discovered (aside from the fact that I was neurotically paranoid, lol) is that this little conern of mine has turned into an opportunity to open my eyes at new ways of training and new attributes I can develop WITHOUT flaring up my tweaks in question.

For instance, even though I've held off my kicking session, Ive discovered a cool alternative that is a killer workout for my hip, glutes and a little my core. It involves me practicing some slow and controlled kicks while kneeling on one knee and I'm enjoying the proprioception work too. I've also experimented with parry dominant wing chun and cover dominant boxing sessions (obviously shadow sessions) and I've also taken up break dancing. I've drawn some inspiration from that and have developed a kicking routine from the squat position of breaking.

Looking back, I'm realizing how rigid I was in the way I trained and now I'm seeing things in a new perspective. There were a few mindset realisations and a few lessons learnt about the way I was framing things.

Anyway, thanks again to crazyoldguy and sure! for your input and support.

Clinton

I'm not sure if you are still having issues with your ankles and thumbs, but if so, you should check out whole body cryotherapy. Cryotherapy uses nitrogen vapor to lower the skin's temperatures by 30 to 50 degrees. Once your skin's temperature is lowered, a message is sent to the brain to react with natural regulatory functions. This is when anti-inflammatory molecules, endorphins, and toxins are released and oxygen circulation increases in the bloodstream. Cryotherapy is a great, noninvasive, and natural way to help your body heal. Not only will your ankles and thumbs not be inflamed, but your mood will increase.

The thing with my stress, anxiety and sleeplessness is mainly a symptom rather than a cause but it doesn't help. I don't usually need distraction to get to sleep but in this case, I'll see what I can put in place. I don't have trouble going to sleep most times (sometimes) but I wake up an hour or 2 earlier with these thoughts and anxieties. I try my best to just lie in to the time I usually wake up.

I like that you said that training is what keeps your body running after several breakings. I've been acting like I'm made of glass. I really loath that attitude. It's not usually who I am. Can you tell me what injuries you've been through and your age if you don't mind sharing? I think it would help me tremendously to know of some fit senior individuals that's been through worse than I have (or similar

Back