My Diary

Missie

So I have tried intermittent fasting in the past and it's worked for me. I am thinking of doing that. I think deciding what to cook etc will be a pain, I am really bad with meal planning. Also, I think maybe 10 mins of cardio workout? I can only do light cardio before running out of breath x.x

Also, green tea. That's been very helpful too. If anyone's reading this and has any advice, feel free to message me about it. I am just looking for encouragement and guidance. >.< Ty for reading this far

Current weight : 82ish KGs
Goal: 60 KGs

I think deciding what to cook etc will be a pain, I am really bad with meal planning.
Generally starting with deciding what kind of protein I want, what veggies might go with it, then calculating how many calories I have left for carbs works for me. Of course by now I usually know these things by heart but it's a good framework.
Nothing wrong with light cardio! My main form of exercise is walking - something I can do for a long time and don't need rest days from - and it serves me very well. Especially at the start doing something you enjoy and can maintain is much more important than burning the maximum amount of calories in the shortest possible time. In the end weightloss happens in the kitchen while fitness happens in the gym. The two influence each other but switching them is rarely helpful.

How important is including protein in the diet? Tbh, I only eat chicken. Fish is expensive here so I don't buy it and I dislike the smell.
I like most veggies so I can easily cook that. I just need to control the portions I feel.
I actually got a FitBit so I can do walks, but ill have to make time for that. It's a good idea and i'll definitely try to include that in my routine

How important is including protein in the diet?

Protein is very important however the amount you need will depend on your lean mass and what sort of physical activity you are doing. Chicken is great but if you don't like fish or red meat then there are plenty of vegetable protein sources to choose from, you do not need to eat chicken all of the time.

I eat a lot of beans and lentils, for example. Some mock meats these days taste nice too, but they tend to be expensive and high in sodium. Of course eggs and dairy are always an option as well. Short-term protein helps to keep you full for a longer time than just carbs, especially when combined with fiber and a bit of fat. Long-term when you´re losing weight protein, especially combined with exercise, helps you keep more of your lean mass. You want the weight you´re losing to be mostly fat, not muscle.
I just would love to not fall back into bad habits and depression. Sometimes when I am doing really well and I mess up one day, it's like I am back to square 1.
For me the key to that has been to find food I genuinely enjoy and to not go into TOO much of a deficit. If the process is pleasant, you´re more likely to stick with it for life and the only "diet" that works for life is one you can do for life.

Thanks, you guys. I love lentils and beans, chickpeas etc so I can add that to my diet. This week I gotta figure out meal planning.. something that works for me and I can stick with long term.
I'll go grocery shopping later today

Feeling great about things and excited. I did do a tiny calculation and it'll take me an entire year to get to my goal weight, but that's okay. I'm just gonna take it one step at a time.

Breakfast: So I had green tea an hour or so after waking up and an apple.
Lunch: 2 chicken drumsticks (curry) with half a tortilla bread
Snack: Cucumber and green tea
Dinner: 2 slices of pizza, 1 soft drink

Will have green tea in an hour.

Taking your time and getting into habits you're willing to keep up for life is definitely the way to go!

I think meal planning is really important. Making things like soup &/or curries or casseroles, then freezing some is a great idea if you have the freezer space. You can always add some fresh spinach or herbs when you eat them. Are you counting calories in an app, Missie? I use My Fitness Pal & really like it as I can "remember" meals & adjust them easily. Others use Cronometer (especially if they want to finely track macros) but I tried it & it didn't suit me. I'm glad you have the attitude that if it takes a year, so be it. You're doing this for your long-term health. Good for you :)

Ty for taking time and posting tips, I didn't get that app but I will now and I didn't count any calories yet. I've just been eating the same thing, but controlling my portions for now. I am gonna try to cut down on the junk food too.

Breakfast: I had green tea an hour or so after waking up and a leftover pizza slice
Lunch: Phulkiyaan
Snack: Ice cream
Dinner: Broasted chicken and a soft drink + green tea

Plus 10ish mins of cardio

Just out of curiosity: if you say you had chicken and a soft drink for dinner does that mean just chicken or are vegetables involved? I´m imaging a dramatically reduced version of the stereotypical bodybuilder meal :p

Cutting down on junk food & soft drink will make such a difference. I was wondering the same if there were many vegetables in your everyday diet. Veggies are so important & delicious- either raw or cooked.

I got interested as I didn't know what phulkiyaan is, but chickpea/gram flour is a good source of protein. As it's a fried food it has a high kcal content from the frying oil, but gram flour can be used in baking and pan frying too. Personally, I love a gram flour "omelette" made out of gram flour, kala namak (or sulphuric "black salt", gives an eggy taste), a pinch of turmeric and garlic. When mixed with cold water like making any kind of dough, then pan-fried in a tiny splash of oil like a crepe or dosa, they make a nice protein-rich base that you can use to roll chopped vegetables and lean meat or mock meat or beans in with a sauce and/or herbs to your liking.

I'm chiming in to other commenters here; adding fresh fruit and vegetables, or even canned ones if you can't have fresh ones easily, is really the easiest way to make your diet better. They will fill you out and give you nutrients, they contain water so you´ll stay hydrated, and they are rich in fiber so your stomach will function better. If you aren't used to eating fresh vegetables, start small. Go to the store/supermarket/marketplace and get one thing at a time, test it out, then the next one, until you find out what you like.

Best of luck and all of my support! :)

At first I felt embarrassed when I read these comments, but this is good. I needed a reality check.
My diet is terrible and I hardly ever eat any fruits or veggie, to be honest. But I am trying to add them in my diet slowly. Like, i'll eat a cucumber now and then for starters. Or a fruit for breakfast. Will definitely try to include more veggies though. >.<
Ty all for taking time out and advising me on this, it means a lot to me. <3

Don´t feel embarassed! Everyone here struggles with food, diet, weight, in some form or another. Please don't think that you are being judged. I've had long periods in my life when I lived on potato chips and coffee only, and it wasn't because I didn't know better - it was because I was too mentally ill to do better. There are many reasons why people have bad diets and it's OK to talk about it without shame. You are figuring it out. Be kind to yourself, we are all learning, and food is such a lovely thing when it clicks and you find what you like. :)

Don´t feel embarassed! Everyone here struggles with food, diet, weight, in some form or another. Please don't think that you are being judged. I've had long periods in my life when I lived on potato chips and coffee only, and it wasn't because I didn't know better - it was because I was too mentally ill to do better. There are many reasons why people have bad diets and it's OK to talk about it without shame. You are figuring it out. Be kind to yourself, we are all learning, and food is such a lovely thing when it clicks and you find what you like. :)
I am really glad you're doing better now! And thank you for being so kind and sweet. :)

Oops, the pictures are huge. >.<

Back