A Valslide Push-Away 1x12

B Swiss-Ball Mountain Climber 1x12

C Cable Half-Kneeling Chop 1x12@Plate 10

D1 Dumbbell Split Squat 4x8@15e
D2 Dumbbell Two-Point Row 4x8@55e

E1 Wide-Grip Deadlift with Feet on Weight Plate 2x8@135, 2x8@145
E2 Dumbbell Alternating Chest Press on Partial Bench 2x8@25e, 2x8@35e

F Burpees 3 rounds x 6 reps

Overall An interesting workout to say the least. First off I like being free from Stage 1's planks, but I think I'm at a big disadvantage on the body weight exercises because my body weight is so high. A and B I tried as best I could, though I fared much better in A. I'm not sure if I should try an easier variation in B, because staying in good form was quite difficult. I don't care much for C, only because of the threading the rope into the clip - perhaps I'll get better with practice but it took me a while to attach and remove the rope handle. The exercise itself is fine. D1 and D2 went pretty smoothly, and I think I'll be upping the weights on both in the 2A workout. Of all the exercises in this workout, E1 was the most daunting to me, especially given the recent problem with my eyes. Thankfully I'd done something roughly similar in NROL, so the exercise wasn't entirely new to me, but still. As for E2, I must've had a case of stupid, because I couldn't figure out for the life of me how to get into position to do the exercise. I think I can lift more than the 25s and 35s listed here, which I think will be possible once I get used to getting properly set up. Last but not least, 3 sets of 6 burpees each was about all I had in me. If I had gone for a 4th set, I know my feet wouldn't be leaving the floor, so called it a day. All in all, I like this workout, perhaps better than Stage 1's A workout as it has less balance related factors. Looking forward to the B workout.

NROLFA Stage 2 Workout 1B 3/23/11

NROLFA Warmup

A Front Plank and Pulldown 1x12@Plate 6 (each side)

B Side Plank and Row 1x12@Plate 6 (each side)

C Swiss Ball Jackknife 1x12@BW

D Cable Kneeling Cross-Body Lift 1x12@Plate 8

E1 Step-up 4x8@BW
E2 Kettlebell one-arm Push Press 4x8@16kg

F1 Kettlebell Offloaded Front Squat 1x8@20kg, 16kg 1x8@16kg, 20kg
F2 Mixed-grip Assisted Chin-up 1x8@BW (left grip under) 1x6@BW, 1x2@BW (right grip under)

G Kettlebell Swings 12x10@16kg

Overall As with the A workout, lots to say about this one too (which I consider a good thing). I've discovered a fair rule of thumb when starting workouts is to take the weight I think I can do, and subtract 10lbs, and use that. That's the logic behind today's weights. That said, A was pretty humbling, as I now know why Lou emphasizes keeping straight plank form. It was really tough for me to do with heavier weight, so dropping back to Plate 6 was a good call. B, for whatever reason, proved noticeably better/stronger, but I kept the plates the same to have a meaningful comparison. C was challenging, but not overly so, and with D, I discovered I don't have to thread the rope through the lock, as I can move it through its own connector. With E1 (and all other bodyweight exercises) my goal will be to make it an iron weight exercise, but not at the expense of good form. I probably could have gone heavier in E2, but I was figuring the instability added by using the kettlebell increased the difficulty enough on its own. I had my doubts about F1 as I could see a case where there'd be weights I could not clean/lift into front squat position, but I could use to squat. I think the chosen weights were a happy medium. I was able to rack them and got some ROM on the squat, so all around a good choice. I'm not sure what happened with the second set of F2, but I was just out of fuel. So I rested a little bit and tacked on the two other reps. The metabolic portion of B was much easier than the A version as it was a weight exercise, not a bodyweight exercise. I picked 16kg as I was going for metabolics, not strength, but may increase that next go round. Still, after a workout like this, 10+ sets of anything is bound to make itself felt. Glad I did this workout as it would have been very easy to blow it off til tomorrow. As it is, I feel great, and am anticipating a fine dinner at the local restaurant. Life is good.

NROLFA Stage 2 Workout 2A 3/25/11

NROLFA Warmup

D1 Dumbbell Split Squat 4x8@20e
D2 Dumbbell Two-Point Row 4x8@60e

E1 Wide-Grip Deadlift with Feet on Weight Plate 4x8@155
E2 Dumbbell Alternating Chest Press on Partial Bench 4x8@45e

Overall A, B, C and F all need work on form, particularly the body weight exercises, so while the numbers won't change, I am hoping the quality of the exercise improves. D and E both saw increases in their loadings as I come to a better training weight, and get more used to the exercise. This is particularly true of E2, as setup proved a lot easier this time. All in all though I had a good workout and that's a good thing.

NROLFA Phase 2 Workout 2B 3/28/11

NROLFA Warmup

A Front Plank and Pulldown 1x12@Plate 6 (each side)

B Side Plank and Row 1x12@Plate 6 (each side)

D Cable Kneeling Cross-Body Lift 1x12@Plate 10

E1 Step-up 4x8@4kg(e)
E2 Kettlebell one-arm Push Press 4x8@20kg

F1 Kettlebell Offloaded Front Squat 1x8@20kg, 16kg 1x8@16kg, 20kg
F2 Mixed-grip Assisted Chin-up 1x8@BW (left grip under) 1x7.5@BW (right grip under)

G Kettlebell Swings 12x11@16kg

Overall Some increases today in D and E in weight and F2 and G in reps. I'm liking this workout as I get to try out kettlebells for my workouts which is always fun. Still taking too much time though to be able to work in the optional strength bit though, and that sucks. Hopefully I can improve that.

NROLFA Stage 2 Workout 3A 3/30/11

NROLFA Warmup

D1 Dumbbell Split Squat 4x8@25e
D2 Dumbbell Two-Point Row 4x8@65e

E1 Wide-Grip Deadlift with Feet on Weight Plate 4x8@160
E2 Dumbbell Alternating Chest Press on Partial Bench 4x8@50e

Overall Again, the weight bearing exercises see improvement and the body weight exercises need better form. Going to be woring on that throughout I'm sure. Also I need to be more mindful of rest times. Still, a good workout.

NROLFA Stage 2 Workout 3B 4/2/11

No NROLFA Warmup

A Front Plank and Pulldown 1x12@Plate 8 (each side)

B Side Plank and Row 1x12@Plate 8 (each side)

E1 Step-up 4x8@4kg(e)
E2 Kettlebell one-arm Push Press 4x8@20kg

F1 Kettlebell Offloaded Front Squat 1x8@24kg, 20kg 1x8@20kg, 16kg
F2 Mixed-grip Assisted Chin-up 1x8@BW (left grip under) 1x7.5@BW (right grip under)

G Kettlebell Swings 12x11@20kg

Overall I did this workout today, because I was under the impression that we were supposed to get some of that nor'easter that was coming through. Well, Mother Nature April fooled me. Got into the Y around 4, thinking that I had plenty of time because they didn't close til 7 on Saturdays. Wrong - a 5pm close time meant I had to hurry it up and as a result I skipped the warm up and just went right into the workout proper. I've decided to standardize all of the cable abs exercises (A, B and D) to Plate 8, as I think it represents a happy medium between weight and form. Challenging, but not enough so to encourage poor form. On C, I unwittingly discovered that if I put my good foot (the right) on the ball first, and then put my left over it, I have a pretty secure hold on the ball. (Due to having no dorsiflexion in my left leg, I slide right off if I attempt a normal hold.) As a result, the jackknifes went much more quickly and without quite as much cursing. No real change in E1 and E2, other than that I hope form is getting better in the first, and that my left shoulder stability is getting better in the 2nd. Once I'm about 2 sets in my left is fine, but it's those first two sets that are iffy. F1 presented the biggest leap of faith in that I increased my weight by 4kg each side. This creates a double challenge - racking the weights and keeping them there, and the usual range of motion challenge. While not perfect by any means, it also wasn't quite as bad as to step back to the previous weights, so I will likely try this setup again. Also got thwarted in F2 again by half a rep - will keep at it though. Due to the time constraints, I wasn't able to do G at the gym, so I went home and got it done - with an upgrade to the 20kg kettlebell. All in all a satisfying workout, not only for the actual work, but also because I was able to do it so quickly. Hopefully the A workout will go as smoothly on Monday. Oh yes, as a side note, this puts me at halfway through Stage 2. :)

NROLFA Stage 2 Workout 4A 4/4/11

NROLFA Warmup

C Cable Half-Kneeling Chop 1x12@Plate 8

D1 Dumbbell Split Squat 4x8@25e
D2 Dumbbell Two-Point Row 4x8@65e

E1 Wide-Grip Deadlift with Feet on Weight Plate 4x8@160
E2 Dumbbell Alternating Chest Press on Partial Bench 4x8@50e

Overall A fine workout here. Increases in just about everything except C. The bodyweight exercises still need work, but they're coming along pretty well too.

Last edited:
NROLFA Stage 2 Workout 4B 4/6/11

NROLFA Warmup

E1 Step-up 4x8@4kg(e)
E2 Kettlebell one-arm Push Press 1x8@20kg, 3x8@24kg

F1 Kettlebell Offloaded Front Squat 1x8@24kg, 20kg 1x8@20kg, 24kg
F2 Mixed-grip Assisted Chin-up 1x8@BW (left grip under) 1x8@BW (right grip under)

G Kettlebell Swings 12x11@20kg

Overall A good showing here as well. F1 went noticeably better than previously (though it still needs work). and F2 got to the point where I could kinda call that last rep complete. Metabolically, the way things worked out, I ended up doing the burpees after this workout, and the swings the following day (Thursday), but I'm not going to go through the hassle of changing everything. On a side note, I did request the Y get some heavier kettlebells, as 24kg is the current limit. :)

NROLFA Stage 2 Workout 5A 4/11/11

NROLFA Warmup

D1 Dumbbell Split Squat 4x8@30e
D2 Dumbbell Two-Point Row 4x8@70e

E1 Wide-Grip Deadlift with Feet on Weight Plate 4x8@170
E2 Dumbbell Alternating Chest Press on Partial Bench 4x8@55e

Overall Another good workout here - though kind of not surprising as there was a bit more rest (as this should've been done last Friday), and due to the extra calories this weekend. Still, it's nice to see these numbers go up.

NROLFA Stage 2 Workout 5B 4/13/11

NROLFA Warmup

D1 Dumbbell Split Squat 4x8@30e
D2 Dumbbell Two-Point Row 4x8@70e

E1 Wide-Grip Deadlift with Feet on Weight Plate 4x8@170
E2 Dumbbell Alternating Chest Press on Partial Bench 4x8@55e

Overall Another good workout here - though kind of not surprising as there was a bit more rest (as this should've been done last Friday), and due to the extra calories this weekend. Still, it's nice to see these numbers go up.

NROLFA Phase 2 Workout 6A 4/19/11

NROLFA Warmup

D1 Dumbbell Split Squat 4x8@35e
D2 Dumbbell Two-Point Row 4x8@75e

E1 Wide-Grip Deadlift with Feet on Weight Plate 4x8@175
E2 Dumbbell Alternating Chest Press on Partial Bench 4x8@60e

Overall And so ends the A workouts in Phase 2. I am pleased with the results, especially in the D exercises. I can remember when lifting 50lbs on a row was heavy, so I was surprised I got up to 75 in this round. I used one of the old bars which has a more pronounced knurling so it made it easier to hang on to. As I noted above, I did the burpees tonight, having run out of time this morning.

NROLFA Phase 2 Workout 6B 4/21/11

NROLFA Warmup

E1 Step-up 4x8@4kg(e)
E2 Kettlebell one-arm Push Press 4x8@24kg

F1 Kettlebell Offloaded Front Squat 1x8@24kg, 20kg 1x8@20kg, 24kg
F2 Mixed-grip Assisted Chin-up 1x8@BW (left grip under) 1x8@BW (right grip under)

G Kettlebell Swings 14x11@20kg

Overall If I wasn't focused on finishing Phase 2, I probably would've stayed home. But, as it was, I got in and got it done. (Though I had to do G a couple of hours later due to scheduling.) Not a bad showing today, though I'm sure my form on E1 could use some more work, and my left arm needs to be stronger to handle E2 and F1 in particular. But, I'm quite pleased with the results, particularly as I'm using the heaviest kettlebell the Y has to work out with. That said though, Stage 2 is now on the books.

NROLFA Phase 3 Workout 1A 4/25/11

NROLFA Warmup

A Turkish Get-Up 2x5@4kg

B Suitcase Deadlift and Lateral Step-up 1x5@4kg, 1x5@12kg

C Cable Anti-Rotation Reverse Lunge w/Chop 2x10@Plate 8

D Jump Shrug 1x5@45, 2x5@95

E Medicine-Ball Slam 1x5@8, 1x5@11, 1x5@14

F1 Split Squat, rear foot elevated AMAP x 6 @ 4kg(e)
F2 Kettlebell Plank Row AMAP x 6 @ 24kg

G1 Dumbbell Single-leg Deadlift with foot on weight plate AMAP x 6 @ 40
G2 Dumbbell Chest Press on Partial Bench AMAP x 6 @ 60

H Burpee/Swing Ladder 5, 20kg

Overall - What a long workout. I'm going to need to get a lot quicker if this is going to happen in the mornings. I think a good portion went to figuring out the TGU. While I'd done it before, I'd never gone back down, and as a result never held the kb up for the duration. This became noticeable right off so I had to make adjustments (i.e. drop weight) so I could do all the reps while keeping the kb in proper position. I hope to improve this as I proceed through the workout. B and C were kind of unusual, and in B's case I had no idea what weight to use, so still figuring that one out. D and E weren't too bad, but again, new exercises with no frame of reference as to weights. F1 and G1 sucked as by the time I got to them, my legs were already fatigued, plus being at a higher bodyweight puts me at a disadvantage, so I may adjust by using a lesser weight (or just body weight) for workout 2. The upper body workout exercises (F2 and G2) weren't too bad though I do have to get a heavier weight for F2. And last but not least, I picked a number I thought I could do for H, and turns out I was nearly right - hoping to increase it as time goes on. All in all a thorough workout - I feel worked out in an all over sort of way, which I suppose is the point. As I get more familiar with the exercises I hope to improve performance AND cut down on the time required to get the workout done.

NROLFA Phase 3 Workout 1B 4/27/11

No NROLFA Warmup

A Alligator Drag 2 sets

B Dumbbell Offset Farmer's Walk 2x1e@70

C Two Dumbbell Offloaded Farmer's Walk 2x1e@50,40

D Jump Squat 3x5@95

E Medicine-Ball Wall Throw 3@5e@14

F1 Dumbbell Reverse Lunge with Offset Loading AMAPx6@35
F2 Dumbbell Incline Bench Press AMAPx6@50

G1 Dumbbell one-and-a-quarter Squat with heels on Plate AMAPx6@35
G2 Kneeling Lat Pulldown AMAPx6@Plate 13

H Squat/Push-up Ladder 9

Overall Didn't do the warmup this session, nor the Alligator Drag as I got into the gym later than I wanted to. Still, this workout went SO much faster than the A workout, I was surprised. I think the reason is because of the TGUs in A. That said, I did do A at home after work, and it is an awkward exercise at first. With practice though I should be able to get the hang of it. I opted for the farmer's walk in B and C because I knew I'd have to do more squatting in D and G1, and that seemed enough of a good thing. Interestingly though, when I did C, my left foot starting almost buzzing, which leads me to believe my problem with dorsiflexion may be the result of something pressing on something else. I think I'm going to see a neurologist to see if that's the case. Much like my other bodyweight exercises, D's weights are low because body fat is so high. Still, it and E provided a change of pace and a sort of transition into the density sets. Both were challenging, but only F2 really required some extra setup time. By the time I'd finished with them, my butt was dragging, but I wanted to finish the metabolic component while in the gym. Happily I was able to complete the recommended starting ladder (squats + push-ups... 3+3, 6+6, 9+9, 6+6, 3+3). All in all I liked this workout better than the A workout but both of them left me drained and glad they were over at the end. Which I suppose is the point. :)

NROLFA Phase 3 Workout 2A 4/29/11

No NROLFA Warmup

A Turkish Get-Up 2x5@4kg

B Suitcase Deadlift and Lateral Step-up 2x5@16kg

C Cable Anti-Rotation Reverse Lunge w/Chop 2x10@Plate 8

D Jump Shrug 3x5@95

E Medicine-Ball Slam 3x5@11

F1 Bulgarian Split Squat, rear foot elevated AMAP x 6 @ 10(e)
F2 Dumbbell Plank Row AMAP x 6 @ 60

G1 Dumbbell Single-leg Deadlift with foot on weight plate AMAP x 6 @ 15
G2 Dumbbell Chest Press on Partial Bench AMAP x 6 @ 60

H Burpee/Swing Ladder 5, 20kg

Overall - No warmup today as I had no idea how long this workout would take me to complete. I was very surprised and happy I was able to get out roughly on time. The TGUs went much quicker, which I think accounts its fair share of the time savings. Experimented with a higher weight in B, but think I will try the 20 or 24 kg next time. Past that I'll try using the riser's "feet" along with it to make it higher. C is noticeably more difficult on my left leg than my right. Not sure why. I actually did E before D as the medicine balls are kept with the kettlebells on the 5th floor (except for the 14lb ball which someone took down to the weight room and didn't put it back grr). Consolidated the weight in the jump shrug so that was good too. Since the riser is also located on the 5th floor, and I was in the basement I switched the split squat with rear foot elevated to a Bulgarian split squat - hence the lower weights. This is also true of G1 in terms of backing off the weight. In that case it was for fuller ROM. I probably could've done more in the 2nd superset but it took me so long to set up for the partial bench press, it didn't happen. Still, I think the quality of the work improved and I wasn't slogging from one exercise to the next, which to me is its own sort of progress.

NROLFA Phase 3 Workout 2B 5/2/11

No NROLFA Warmup

A Alligator Drag 2 sets

B Dumbbell Offset Farmer's Walk 2x1e@75

C Two Dumbbell Offloaded Farmer's Walk 2x1e@55,45

D Jump Squat 3x5@100

E Medicine-Ball Wall Throw 3@5e@14

F1 Dumbbell Reverse Lunge with Offset Loading AMAPx6@35
F2 Dumbbell Incline Bench Press AMAPx6@50

G1 Dumbbell one-and-a-quarter Squat with heels on Plate AMAPx6@35
G2 Kneeling Lat Pulldown AMAPx6@Plate 13

H Squat/Push-up Ladder 12

Overall Decided to keep the weights for F and G the same and concentrate on increasing the number of sets I'm able to do with them. For the rest, B is still ok for upping weight, but C is pushing the limits of what I can reasonably put and hold up. E is also limited as 14 lbs is the heaviest medicine ball they have. After I'd gotten done with an iteration of G2, the kid that's always down in the weight room asked me if it hit the lats and I said yes. He said he'd have to try it sometime. Since I was in the middle of my density session, I couldn't add that the advantage though was how it used the core to stabilize, moreso than sitting at the bench. Also surprisingly went up to 12 on the ladder too. Like the previous workout, I did A after work at home. And for some reason my right hand is aching, but not sure why.

Indoor Cycling 5/3/11

Recumbent Bike 15 mins Went with a friend to Planet Fitness so decided to put in a little time on the bike. While not a spin bike, it was enough to do the trick. A short reintroduction into something I should be doing regularly.

Back