NROLFA Warmup

A Anti-Rotation Static Hold - 2x30 secs

B Elevated Plank 10x10 secs

C Elevated Side Plank 5x10 secs each side

D1 Dumbbell Single-Leg Romanian Deadlift 3x12@25
D2 Dumbbell Alternating Shoulder Press 3x12@40e

E1 Overhead Squat 3x12@8e
E2 Cable Kneeling Pulldown 3x12@Plate 16

Overall - This workout took a bit longer than the A workout, I'm guessing because of the two unilateral exercises and longer ab workout. I'm glad I read the book otherwise I would've done a few exercises the wrong way - close, but not what the book calls for. Like with the single-leg RDLs. I had been holding a dumbbell in each hand when I'd done them before and here it's a single dumbbell held on the nonworking side. Also, as noted in the book, the OH squat was a very humbling experience lol. I should be better once I get the hang of the technique though. All in all a good workout.

NROLFA Phase 1 Workout 2A - 2/7/11

NROLFA Warmup

A1 Plank 60, 60
A2 Side Plank (each side) 30, 30

B1 Split Squat, Front Foot Elevated 3x12@BW
B2 Inverted Row 2x12@R8, 1x12@R7

C1 Romanian Deadlift 3x12@120
C2 Push-up 3x12@BW

Overall - Now that I'd done B1 properly, I can see I'm going to need more balance before I can add weight. The rest was pretty much the same as last week except I added 5lbs to C1.

NROLFA Phase 1 Workout 2B - 2/11/11

NROLFA Warmup

B Elevated Plank 5x20 secs

C Elevated Side Plank 2x20, 1x10 secs each side

D1 Dumbbell Single-Leg Romanian Deadlift 3x12@25
D2 Dumbbell Alternating Shoulder Press 3x12@40e

E1 Overhead Squat 3x12@pool cue
E2 Cable Kneeling Pulldown 3x12@Plate 17

Overall - Some differences this workout: did B and C in 20 second intervals rather than 10 because it was just such a pain to get back into position I know I was violating the rest times. On D1, balance was bad as expected so I just have to persevere. I may drop the weight next time I do D2 because I read in the book where it says about leaning back (which I think I've been doing). E1 I had a bit of ingenuity, noting that there were pool cues in the locker room, so I took one and did my OH squats with that. After the three sets I got brave and tried the oly bar and much to my surprise I got to about parallel, which is a heck of a lot better than the first attempt. I may try to use the oly bar for the last set and see how far I get. E2 I added a plate which was nice. All in all I'm pleased with this workout.

NROLFA Phase 1 Workout 3A - 2/16/11

NROLFA Warmup

A1 Plank 65, 65
A2 Side Plank (each side) 35, 35

B1 Split Squat, Front Foot Elevated 3x12@BW

C1 Romanian Deadlift 3x12@135
C2 Push-up 3x12@BW

Overall - Very satisfied with this workout today. I know I had a lot of rest for it as the last time I did an A workout was a week ago, but I was still surprised at wel I did. The numbers may be roughly similar but the feel was different. I tacked on 5 secs to each set in A1 and A2 - hoping to hit max time in the next three workouts. Well see. I used the wall to help with balance for B1, so I could get better ROM. And as I said, even though the numbers are the same, B2 felt a bit better, which much more control in the final set than last week. The biggest jump though was in C1, where I decided to use the big boy plates, and I wasn't disappointed. Lastly, I think I'm going to have to use a variation for C2 as I think I'm ready to up the difficulty. All in all, a fine time in the gym this morning.

NROLFA Phase 1 Workout 3B - 2/18/11

No NROLFA Warmup

B Elevated Plank 3x30, 1x20 secs

C Elevated Side Plank 1x30, 1x20 secs each side

D1 Dumbbell Single-Leg Romanian Deadlift 3x12@30
D2 Dumbbell Alternating Shoulder Press 3x12@30e

E1 Overhead Squat 3x12@EZ Curl Bar
E2 Cable Kneeling Pulldown 3x12@Plate 18

Overall - Some changes here - didn't do the warmup as I was running short on time. I adjusted the times for B and C. Added 5lbs to D1 and dropped D2 by 10 so as to ensure I'm not leaning back. Definitely felt the exercise more in my core rather than my shoulders. Upgraded to an EZ Curl Bar in E1 over a pool cue and did well enough to be encouraged to continue with it. Still not sure I have correct form but it is indeed better. And added a plate in E2 - the stack actually has 21 plates so it's kind of cool to be down there. A good workout, fueled by an excellent steak dinner the night before. lol

Doing well Jackie - yourself?

heya, erm.... im doing ok, im getting back on track, lol, I put on weight last year, 2010 was like my mess year lol. I'm doing a 5 mile fun run ok 22nd April, with friends from work and we wanna do it in 45 minutes. I've started cycling again, and I am gonna start running around 1st March. I really wanna get a 2 pack - im serious now!

Hope you are well

What else have you been up to apart from fitness stuff??

Jackie xx

The usual - working, gaming, practicing piano, going for happy hour and the like. Business as usual. Looks like you have some good goals there - are you going to be logging your progress here?

NROLFA Phase 1 Workout 4A - 2/22/11

NROLFA Warmup

A1 Plank 70, 70
A2 Side Plank (each side) 35, 35

B1 Split Squat, Front Foot Elevated 3x12@5e

C1 Romanian Deadlift 3x12@145
C2 Push-up (Feet Elevated*) 3x12@BW

Overall - A good showing today, as I added a few seconds to A1, a little weight on B1 and C1, and increased diffculty on C2. *I did the first set of C2 with my feet on a platform about 70% of bench height. The next two sets were done with my feet on a situp board which was level to the ground. So not much of a lift in sets 2 or 3, but it was there. For some reason balance was pretty good - unfortunately, workout B stresses that quality more. Still, I'm pleased with my performance and the fact I'm now in the 2nd half of phase 1.

The usual - working, gaming, practicing piano, going for happy hour and the like. Business as usual. Looks like you have some good goals there - are you going to be logging your progress here?

heya, aww kool, its friday :) - is happy hour on tonight? lol

erm... im not sure sorry, do you think I should?

x

NROLFA Phase 1 Workout 4B - 2/28/11

NROLFA Warmup

B Elevated Plank 1x60, 1x40 secs

E1 Overhead Squat 1x12@EZ Curl Bar, 1x2@Oly Bar 1x10@EZ Curl Bar, 1x12@EZ Curl Bar

Overall - Not much movement this time around, except for a rearranging of the times in A, and (I think) a deeper squat in E1. I tried the Olympic bar for E1, but only got about 2 reps in before I knew I had to go back to the curl bar. That said, I'll just keep adding plates to the curl bar and I should be in better stead than trying to jump to the oly bar. Not a bad showing today, and I even got the warmup in, unlike last time. It was also nice to start the week with a B workout for a change.

NROLFA Phase 1 Workout 5A - 3/2/11

NROLFA Warmup

A1 Plank 90, 60
A2 Side Plank (each side) 35, 40

B1 Split Squat, Front Foot Elevated 3x12@8e
B2 Inverted Row 1x12@R8, 2x12@R7

C1 Romanian Deadlift 3x12@155

Overall - A bit of experimentation with today's workout. I tried and got 90 seconds on the first set of A1, but the second set was a near disaster and I only got 60 seconds on set 2. A little improvement in the second set of A2 also. B1 also had a bit of experimenting, because I used the first step of the steps leading into the weight room as the elevation. The bad news is that I think my working leg is too high, so I won't be able to use it going forward, but the good news was I was actually able to superset B2 this time. C1 saw the addition of another 5lbs on each side, and I'm hoping to do the same next week. Push-ups were slightly different in that the elevation for sets two and three were was the platform of the power cage - slightly higher (I think) than the previous week's ab board. I'd also note that I did this workout after work, so the weight room was rather more crowded (and for some reason had a distinct smell of baby powder), but I was able to get everything done without having to wait for gear.

NROLFA Phase 1 Workout 5B - 3/4/11

NROLFA Warmup

B Elevated Plank 1x60, 1x40 secs

E1 Overhead Squat 3x12@EZ Curl Bar + 5

Overall - About the same as last week, though I tried doing B and C as described in the book but I couldn't. I arched my back and came back down for the momentary rest, but that just proved worse in terms of hold time so I proceeded as I had been. D1 and D2 are the same but I think formwise I'm better in both. I threw on a 2.5lb plate on each side in E1 to make myself feel some progress there. Still working on form, but I think I'm better than I was - still nowhere near an oly bar yet. And E2 is unchanged. Not a bad showing.

NROLFA Phase 1 Workout 6A - 3/9/11

NROLFA Warmup

A1 Plank 90, 60
A2 Side Plank (each side) 45, 45

B1 Split Squat, Front Foot Elevated 3x12@10e
B2 Inverted Row 3x12@R7

C1 Romanian Deadlift 3x12@165

Overall - And so the A portion of Phase 1 is complete. Not sure why I couldn't get beyond 60 secs in set 2 in A1 but I did a lot better in A2 than last week so I suppose it balances out. Added a slight bit of weight to B1, and did all my inverted rows at rung 7 on the smith machine. Tacked on another 10 lbs to C1 and finished with doing all sets of C2 from the weight bench platform, which is about 60-70% as high as a flat bench. All in all I'm quite pleased with my progress so far on the A workouts - I should also say that even though my body weight is back up, I can remember a time when a set of 10 pushups on level ground would have been difficult. Little victories...

NROLFA Phase 1 Workout 6B - 3/11/11

No NROLFA Warmup

B Elevated Plank 1x70, 1x30 secs

C Elevated Side Plank 2x50 secs each side

D1 Dumbbell Single-Leg Romanian Deadlift 3x12@35
D2 Dumbbell Alternating Shoulder Press 3x12@35e

E1 Overhead Squat 3x12@EZ Curl Bar + 10

Overall - Not a bad workout today, especially considering I was pressed for time trying to monkey around with my hard drive. That said, I did well in all the exercises today, increasing weights in just about everything except for E2. I don't like planks, because they take such a long time for me to do, but more importantly, it's really hard to self-correct form. I think I'm learning a little balance though for D1, and had to concentrate to do D2 correctly. With E1, I had to use a bent EZ Curl Bar, so that felt a bit weird from the one I'd been using. And lastly, I kept E2 the same so as not to sacrifice form for more weight. All in all a good workout, and I think I good end to Phase 1.

Back