Madilyn's diary

Status
Not open for further replies.
The "shake" part of the name usually implies a high fat content (unless it explicitly says otherwise). I'd go with the upper end of the range as well as it's a pretty large cup.

The "shake" part of the name usually implies a high fat content (unless it explicitly says otherwise). I'd go with the upper end of the range as well as it's a pretty large cup.

I think it was actually declared as a "smoothie", I'm pretty sure it was purely made from strawberries, banana, yogurt and milk or water. I'll go with 250 calories and hope it's not too far off!

26 June
lunch: a chia roll with avocado, a strawberry banana smoothie
snack: a can dr pepper
dinner: pasta with salmon
calories: 1200

Hey Madilyn, I just got caught up on your diary and wanted to say welcome to the forum! It looks like you are off to a good start. It takes a while to get everything sorted out so don't feel like you need to be doing everything "right" immediately. Over time, you'll find recipes and different foods that work well for you!
Good luck and looking forward to seeing your progress!

Hey Madilyn, I just got caught up on your diary and wanted to say welcome to the forum! It looks like you are off to a good start. It takes a while to get everything sorted out so don't feel like you need to be doing everything "right" immediately. Over time, you'll find recipes and different foods that work well for you!
Good luck and looking forward to seeing your progress!

Thank you so much for your kind and encouraging words! :)

I'm quite satisfied with how this week went. Of course it's not "perfect" but I have both included more nutritious food options and I have greatly reduced my calorie intake. With all the sweets and carbs I often ate 2000 to 3000 calories a day. I think around 1500 seems sensible but I'm not sure if I can lose weight on that. I have actually lost three pounds but I guess that's more food weight and less actual weight loss. Seeing a lower number on the scales still feels encouraging though.

Thursday 27 June
breakfast: a cappuccino
lunch: a coconut protein flapjack
snack: a spoonful of vegan chocolate ice cream
dinner: 1 banana, some cherries
calories: 830

Friday 28 June
breakfast: 1 cappuccino, a wrap with vegetables and sunflower seeds
snack: organic orange lemonade
snack: 1 banana
dinner: a couscous vegetable wrap
snack: vanilla yogurt
calories: 1500

I think around 1500 seems sensible but I'm not sure if I can lose weight on that.
Definitely try it for a couple of weeks before lowering your calories. The lower you go the harder it is to a) stick to your plans, b) get all your nutrition in, and c) maintain later. What happened on Thursday?

Definitely try it for a couple of weeks before lowering your calories. The lower you go the harder it is to a) stick to your plans, b) get all your nutrition in, and c) maintain later. What happened on Thursday?

I thought so too. Right now I just go with how hungry I am and it seems to work so far! :)
I wasn't really hungry on Thursday, so I kinda skipped dinner.

Saturday 29 June
breakfast: yogurt with strawberry, coffee with oatmilk
lunch: vegetables and rice
snacks: some chocolate, a cookie
dinner: fried fish with lemon and rosemary
calories: 1250

Hi Madilyn! :) I've been reading through your diary with interest - I'm someone who doesn't usually know how many calories there are in anything, unless it's on the box, so every diary I read is giving me more insights!

I'm kind of dissatisfied with my food choices at the moment. It could be a lot worse, used to be a lot worse... but still.
I try to tell myself that I'm doing well calorie wise but I'm not sure? I don't want to "diet", I want to find a sustainable way of eating, so I'm unsure if I should go lower. Knowing myself I don't think I would be able to keep it up for long.

I'll be starting my new job in two weeks and I'm looking forward to burning some extra calories.

Anyway, here's how the last two days went:

Sunday 30th June
lunch: homemade pizza
snack: watermelon
dinner: homemade pizza
snack: 3 cookies
calories: 1300

Monday 1st July
breakfast: toast with cream cheese, cucumber and tomato, coffee with oat milk
lunch: pasta and vegetables
snack: a chocolate bar
dinner: fried fish with lemon and rosemary
snack: yogurt and creme cheese with strawberry, banana yogurt with chocolate balls
calories: 1550

Hi Madilyn! I just looked through your posts, and I also have trouble with chocolate and pasta. I just found these Banza pasta products made from chickpea and tapioca flour mostly. They are good except a tiny bit bitter (which happens if you don't roast the chick pea flour first - I know because my daughter is gluten sensitive and I make her things with chick pea flour.) They have a fairly low glycemic index (about half of regular pasta anyway). So if you make a stronger sauce (like pesto or tomato sauce) for them they taste pretty much like normal pasta. I can't eat much as I am doing low carb, but on days where I would otherwise cheat horribly, they are good. Also there are edamame noodles now which are pretty good - especially the thinner ones, and I bought but still need to try black bean noodles and noodles made from red lentils. Yell if you would like me to report on how they taste!

Also have you tried cacao powder? I use it with a tiny bit of natural zero calorie sugar in shakes and for chia pudding (which is super easy to make). It's very nutritious and satisfies my chocolate cravings. It is a little fattening though!

I think you're doing great calorie counting - that helps me immensely when I do it!

I'm kind of dissatisfied with my food choices at the moment. It could be a lot worse, used to be a lot worse... but still.
I try to tell myself that I'm doing well calorie wise but I'm not sure?
You´re definitely not overeating if that´s what you mean. What is it you´re unsure of?

Thank you for the suggestions! :)
I fear those pasta alternatives are fairly expensive? Never heard of edamame noodles, that sounds very tempting!
Hi Madilyn! I just looked through your posts, and I also have trouble with chocolate and pasta. I just found these Banza pasta products made from chickpea and tapioca flour mostly. They are good except a tiny bit bitter (which happens if you don't roast the chick pea flour first - I know because my daughter is gluten sensitive and I make her things with chick pea flour.) They have a fairly low glycemic index (about half of regular pasta anyway). So if you make a stronger sauce (like pesto or tomato sauce) for them they taste pretty much like normal pasta. I can't eat much as I am doing low carb, but on days where I would otherwise cheat horribly, they are good. Also there are edamame noodles now which are pretty good - especially the thinner ones, and I bought but still need to try black bean noodles and noodles made from red lentils. Yell if you would like me to report on how they taste!

Also have you tried cacao powder? I use it with a tiny bit of natural zero calorie sugar in shakes and for chia pudding (which is super easy to make). It's very nutritious and satisfies my chocolate cravings. It is a little fattening though!

I think you're doing great calorie counting - that helps me immensely when I do it!

Thank you for the suggestions! :)
I fear those pasta alternatives are fairly expensive? Never heard of edamame noodles, that sounds very tempting!

You´re definitely not overeating if that´s what you mean. What is it you´re unsure of?

I think I'm mostly scared that I might still be eating too much to lose weight and just end up getting frustrated and start overeating again.

I ordered a new body scale because my old one broke last year and I can only weigh myself when I'm on family visits. Hopefully I won't regret it.

2nd July
lunch: a falafel wrap, a coconut smoothie
dinner: sushi
snack: cold chocolate latte
calories: 1400

Went in to get a shot of iron today to deal with my abysmal iron levels. I'm also in the process of lowering my fluoxetine, been on that for a couple of years. I hope both these things will have a positive impact on my body, as well as the additional physical activity that I will get through my new job.
My new manager said my work contract will probably be ready tomorrow. I just want to sign it already, because I still fear something might go wrong and the job falls through.

Hi, Madilyn. Try not to worry so much. Stress makes it harder to lose weight. Try adding some veggies to your meals to bulk them up & get more nutrition. A banana with or without some yoghurt is a great, filling snack & easy to take with you.

Hi, Madilyn. Try not to worry so much. Stress makes it harder to lose weight. Try adding some veggies to your meals to bulk them up & get more nutrition. A banana with or without some yoghurt is a great, filling snack & easy to take with you.

I used to eat cherry tomatoes with everything, they're sooo good! Greens are probably better though, I guess?
I'm thinking about going to the uni cafeteria today. I don't know why it's so hard for me to go there, I guess I'm still insecure about going somewhere to eat on my own...

Take a book to read, maybe? And I agree about the goodness of cherry tomatoes! The "problem" with greens, as opposed to cherry tomatoes that can be eaten as cheerfully and casually as grapes, is that they often need cooking, or at any rate more preparation that the cherry tomatoes.

Well, I live in California with lots of emphasis on health food in the culture in general, so our normal supermarket now stocks all sorts of gluten-alternative foods and lots of organic food, and because it's a big supermarket chain, it isn't a lot more than the normal pasta and things. I think the chickpea pasta was $4 a box, and it made a lot. The edamame pasta was a little more - $5 a box, I think, but I don't eat a big serving per meal, so it lasts a while - I stretch the pasta by putting a lot of veggies in it.

regular pizza looking pizza? there is a great bagel shop literally right across the street from me, so i make bagel pizza's. glad to hear someone else thinks it's ok for a diet... :)

I don't see anything wrong with pizza generally, as long as one does not put excessive amounts of cheese on there. ;)

I had pasta for lunch today and now I feel bad about it. It's the first time I've had regular pasta in ages and it was a normal serving, so I thought it would be okay... I sometimes have a small amount of pasta with my vegetables and that does feel alright, apparently as a main dish it wasn't such a great idea. I hope the tomato sauce had some nutrients in it at least.

I don't see anything wrong with pizza generally, as long as one does not put excessive amounts of cheese on there. ;)

that's what's ideal about using bagels... only about a dozen square inches to work with. i've always considered pizza a good nutritional meal... my only problem used to be portion control ... :) ... who wants that last slice? ... nobody?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back