Madilyn's diary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madilyn

Hello dear people, nice to see you here in my little corner! Please help yourself to a cup of tea and a soft blanket. Sadly there'll be no cookies for now because I'm incapable of just eating one cookie instead of the whole bag.
Basically, this is the reason for this diary. Instead of having regular and nutritious meals I tend to munch on chocolate, cookies and other stuff high in carbs and calories and low in nutritional value.
To give you an idea: there's these chocolate things that I really like and last week I ate almost 4000 calories worth of these in less than two days. This happens quire regularly and not only have I steadily been gaining weight over the last few years, I am also very aware that my body would much prefer I put some proper nutrients into it.

I started tracking my food intake three days ago and I've really tried incorporating more fresh and unprocessed food into my diet and cutting down on the sweets and carbs. So far I've been semi successful. On Friday I ate the sweets than I had actually intended to give to someone else and on Saturday I made pasta in the evening. All in all i can still see improvements though and I want to be honest here and share the good as well as the not so good days.

So here's what the last three days looked like:

Friday 21 June
breakfast: 1 plum, 150 ml mango smoothie
"lunch": 150 g tortellini, 4 peanut butter cups
"dinner": 1 smoked trout filet, 100 ml mango smoothie, 1 chia coconut bar
nightly snack: 4 peanut butter cups
calories: 1600

Saturday 22 June
breakfast: coffee with oat milk and sweetener, 50 g berries
lunch: broccoli, spinach, carrots, peppers, beans and buckwheat
snack: 10 walnuts
dinner: 200 g edamame
snacks: coffee with oat milk and sweetener, 200 g rice pudding
2nd dinner: 300 g tortellini
calories: 1970

Sunday 23 June
breakfast: cocoa and nut porridge with berries and walnuts
lunch: vegetable ravioli
snack: coffee with oat milk and sweetener
dinner: half a cucumber, 150 g tomatoes, balsamic creme
snack: 4 walnuts
calories: 1380

While this is already an improvement you can still see what my main problems are: no regular meals, no motivation to prepare food and therefore falling back into just eating pasta or sweets, too many carbs and not enough vegetables, fiber and protein.

I'm going to make my porridge now (it seems like a sensible if late breakfast) and then I'm off to work. Let's see how today goes!

Reactions: PLB
Hi Madilyn and welcome! You seem to have a sensible and healthy goal; that´s a great start. Can you think of some no-prep high-protein stuff you could simply add to your meals? Refined carbs without a lot of protein and veg usually leaves me hungry half an hour after a meal no matter how much I ate.

Hi, Madilyn & welcome to the diary section of the forum :)
Adding protein to your diet will definitely help fill you up. I have some at every meal. Carbs without protein leave me hungry soon after as well. I'm looking forward to following your progress. Keeping a diary, I find, is good for motivation & support. Don't be afraid to ask questions along the way.

Thank you for checking in and for the nice comments! :)

I'm definitely struggling with incorporating more protein into my diet. Because of ethical reasons I try to minimise the amount of animal products that I am consuming and while this might be a good choice ethically it adds to much struggle with getting enough protein. I eat fish occasionally and I do not avoid dairy completely but I need foods that are both high in protein and plant based to eat everyday.

Ah I'm sorry, I accidentally hit the send button before I had finished the post. For some reason it won't let me edit - maybe because I'm on my phone?

Anyway, I suppose quinoa and lentils would be a good thing to try to eat more regularly, as they're rather high in protein, right? I might actually have quinoa and vegetables for lunch tomorrow, that does sound sensible. :) Edamane seem to be a good source of protein too and I do actually really enjoy them.

I guess today went ok food wise but I am not completely satisfied because I slept through most of the afternoon and evening and only walked 6500 steps today.

Here's what I ate today:

Monday 24 June
breakfast: cocoa and nut porridge with oat milk and some extra walnuts
lunch: 250 g pasta salad, 100 g couscous salad
dinner: tomato and cucumber with balsamic creme
calories: 1450

I just bought some chia seeds for added protein as I had a written sheet at home about them. I'll try to attach a pic....nope. It won't work. Google chia seeds including how best to eat them. Turning them into a gel seems like the go. Cheers, Cate.

I'm definitely struggling with incorporating more protein into my diet. Because of ethical reasons I try to minimise the amount of animal products that I am consuming and while this might be a good choice ethically it adds to much struggle with getting enough protein. I eat fish occasionally and I do not avoid dairy completely but I need foods that are both high in protein and plant based to eat everyday.
I´m working to eat less animal products as well and I aim to get 75g of protein a day (which is not to say that´s what you need). Beans, split peas, chickpeas (hummus&falafel!), and lentils are your friends, as are nuts&seeds, tofu, tempeh, seitan and many mock meats (although those tend to be high in salt and additives as well). Grains are often reasonable sources as well. Maybe you could try logging your food for a couple of days (I see people around here use Cronometer or MyFitnessPal a lot) to see where your protein is currently at.

I just bought some chia seeds for added protein as I had a written sheet at home about them. I'll try to attach a pic....nope. It won't work. chia seeds including how best to eat them. Turning them into a gel seems like the go. Cheers, Cate.

I've tried chia seeds before but I really really do not like the gel like consistency. Eating them dry would be an alternative though. I wonder if one teaspoon full each day would be sufficient?

I´m working to eat less animal products as well and I aim to get 75g of protein a day (which is not to say that´s what you need). Beans, split peas, chickpeas (hummus&falafel!), and lentils are your friends, as are nuts&seeds, tofu, tempeh, seitan and many mock meats (although those tend to be high in salt and additives as well). Grains are often reasonable sources as well. Maybe you could try logging your food for a couple of days (I see people around here use Cronometer or MyFitnessPal a lot) to see where your protein is currently at.

I just checked my app and it seems like my protein intake was around 50 g on average during the last few days. I think I remember reading that 1 g protein per 1 kg body weight is recommended? If that guideline is correct I should need 70 g, so there's definitely room for improvement.

I wonder, how long do chia seeds keep? I am pretty sure I still have an opened bag in my pantry but it must have been there for almost a year. Do you reckon I can still eat them?

Yesterday went well in terms of me having regular meals instead of snacks. Definitely an improvement! Despite the fact that one of my meals was at Starbucks..... I only go there maybe three times a year so I don't feel too bad about it.

Tuesday 25 June
breakfast: 1 bagel with cream cheese and cucumber, 1 mocha frappuccino
lunch: sweet potato, beetroot, beans and sweetcorn with quinoa and wild rice
dinner: watermelon
calories: 1500

I am noticing that I'm a lot less bloated now that I eat less sugar and carbs. It definitely improves the way I feel about my body. :) It's quite hot here at the moment and I'm feeling confident enough to wear shorts outside.

I am considering having lunch at the canteen today before work. There's falafel on the menu today and I could get something from the vegan buffet for dinner. I haven't eaten at the canteen for ages even though the food there is actually rather nice and they have lots of vegetarian and vegan options and it's cheaper than cooking myself. I'm just a bit nervous about going there on my own, so I never do anymore these days.
(It's the cafeteria at my former university, I've finished my studies but I'm still working for the student administration, which is why I'm in that building a lot and really should make use of the canteen more often.)

I am a bit on edge today because I have a job interview this afternoon. I'm terrible at interviews because I'm very socially awkward and insecure and I really really need a proper job (the money I make at the student administration isn't even enough to pay my rent) and I would love to work there
Keep your fingers crossed for me, will you?

If you use chia seeds without a lot of soaking time make sure there ground up or they'll just pass through you undigested. Best of luck with the interview!

... no regular meals, no motivation to prepare food and therefore falling back into just eating pasta or sweets, too many carbs and not enough vegetables, fiber and protein. ...

do you have these? ...

steamer pot.jpg steamer.jpg

carrots... cauliflower... broccoli... zucchini... etc.
15 minutes maximum time.

get yourself a good sharp knife if you don't have one.
be creative...! cooking is fun...!!

Play with your Food.jpg

I didn't make it to the cafeteria today but I got a chia bun with avocado and a strawberry yogurt shake instead, which was nice too.

OH and I can barely believe it but I got the job. I'd thought the best I could hope for would be for them to tell me they might call me back - instead the manager offered me the job right away! I'll be starting in two weeks.

This will be so helpful with me establishing a daily routine, too. For a few months last year I actually did have this routine where I prepared food before going to work in the afternoon. It always took me ages though... maybe I just need more practise but I remember the day I spent 45 minutes chopping vegetables for my soup. That's why I've grown very fond of frozen vegetable mixes. Saves sooo much time.

Can someone help me out estimating the calories in this? It said "strawberry, banana and yogurt shake", with no further ingredients added. I'm not sure about the size... 300 ml maybe?

Attachments

• 20190626_132548.jpg
    20190626_132548.jpg
    761.2 KB · Views: 5
I just checked my app and it seems like my protein intake was around 50 g on average during the last few days. I think I remember reading that 1 g protein per 1 kg body weight is recommended? If that guideline is correct I should need 70 g, so there's definitely room for improvement.
your protein needs will vary with your activity level etc. but 1 g per kg is the bare minimum, however basing your protein goal on lean mass is better than basing on bodyweight.

Can someone help me out estimating the calories in this? It said "strawberry, banana and yogurt shake", with no further ingredients added. I'm not sure about the size... 300 ml maybe?
You just need to use your best judgement, when I have a problem figuring out calories I just Google the item with "calories in xxx", you can usually find a range and then do you best to see what fits. Not getting the calories exactly right is not a big thing, the big thing is that you are trying and tracking your calories. Here is on breakdown I found that might help (sorry for the mix of metric and English units, in the US we are going metric on the 100 year plan):

Calories per serving of Strawberry banana yogurt smoothie

60 calories of Yogurt, Yoplait Light, Strawberry, (4 oz)

51 calories of Milk, 1%, (4 fl oz)

2 calories of Banana, fresh, (2.50 grams)

2 calories of Strawberries, fresh, (5 grams)

0 calories of Ice cubes, (1 serving)

I looked up several shakes but the calories varied from like 150 to 300 and I'm not entirely sure about the serving size... :confused:

Go for the middle to upper of the range. Next time you get one ask if they know maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back