Low carb. Seed Crackers

Cate

Long term member
Low Carb seed crackers
Ingredients

• 1⁄3 cup almond flour
  • 1⁄3 cup unsalted sunflower seeds
  • 1⁄3 cup unsalted pumpkin seeds (I cut mine up)
  • 1⁄3 cup flax seed or chia seeds
  • 1⁄3 cup sesame seeds
  • 1 tbsp ground psyllium husk powder(I used psyllium husks, not ground)
  • 1 tsp salt
  • ¼ cup melted coconut oil
  • 1 cup boiling water
Instructions
  1. Preheat the oven to 300°F (150°C).
  2. Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl. Add boiling water and oil. Mix together with a wooden fork (or spoon)
  3. Keep working the dough until it forms a ball and has a gel-like consistency.
  4. Place the dough on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Add another paper on top and use a rolling pin to flatten the dough evenly. (I just used the wooden spoon to spread the dough out fairly evenly)
  5. Remove the upper paper(if used) and bake on the lower rack for about 40-45 minutes, check occasionally. Seeds are heat sensitive so pay close attention towards the end. (I added an extra 30 mins).
  6. Turn off the oven and leave the crackers to dry in the oven. Once dried and cool, break into pieces.
If you don't have all sorts of seeds at hand, don't worry! As long as the total amount of seed used is the same as in the recipe you can use more of one sort and less of the other.
Storing
In order to maintain the crispiness of these crackers, you must store them in an airtight container. Also, make sure they are completely dried and cooled before storing.

I will try to work out how many calories per approx 30g of crackers next time I make them & then edit this post. For now, a WAG is about 100 cals, but only 1% is carbs.

Last edited:
only drawing this similarity to shortbread because of the consistency out of the oven, but as i do with those, why not cut the crackers when still warm so they will cool into a hardened consistent size and shape?

by keto, these are low carb?
a few ingredients i am unfamiliar with... may leave out the psyllium(?), but sound good.

Psilocybin... (or as we used to say "silly"-cybin) that brings back some memories... though i wish i could remember more... :)

Flyer- you make them & try it & let us know. I changed the name to low carb instead of keto. I am so sick of seeing spam about keto.
Rob- psyllium husk is enriched with both soluble as well as insoluble fibre.

i picked up everything but the psyllium. i didn't even see it... probably have to go to the whole foods market, but that's one in town you have to not only join, but also take a shift working there and i've already got 26 hours of the 24 hour day committed to other things. almond flour is #&@% expensive...!

may be a day or two before i get to it... finishing off making a pot of soup i started a few days ago right now and tomorrow is a painting day.

decided to give this a try while it's still too cold to start painting. things mixed up easily enough and using metal measures, it was easy to just dunk the whole 1/4 cup of coconut oil into the 1 cup of near boiling water so it just melted out. not adding the psyllium, it was a little too moist so i added a little more flour and sesame seeds. the mixture was easy enough to spread out over the parchment paper and i did use a rolling pin, but it was more to just even out the layer rather than have to put any pressure on the "dough". crackers are now in the oven, but not sure what "Seeds are heat sensitive so pay close attention towards the end." means... maybe i'll see.

IMG_0157.JPG

out of the oven... i gave it an hour cooking time @ 300° F ... not easy to cut the seeds, but managed...

IMG_0158.JPG

leaving the oven door open, put them back in to help drying/ hardening.
1/2 hour later...

IMG_0159.JPG

still a bit moist, but holding the shape ok.
i'll let them air dry another few hours... way too early to have a snack, anyway.
did find a little corner that was broken off... got to say, they're very ok.

i sprinkled a little more salt over them right out of the oven.
i'll see how that goes later.

overall VERY easy to make.
prep time is maybe 10 minutes.

Last edited:
well, i broke down and had one... taste is excellent, but i think the consistency could use some work... just slightly too crumbly. i'm wondering if the psyllium aids in any way to bind them better. thinking i might try adding some egg white. with the added salt, they might be a bit salty. i think next time i will only add 1/4 tsp to the mix and still sprinkle the other 1/4 tsp on top just out of the oven.

i saw about 1/2 dozen similar recipes on a quick search. some that do have eggs, a few with some added cheese. i doubt if you could mess these up in any way aside from maybe overcooking... but with the slow (300°) oven, even that would be hard to mess up.

calories are going to tough to calc (some weights, some volumes), but i'll give it a shot later. pretty sure you can put the ultra-low carbs feature in the bank, though. would be prudent to keep some after-snack dental floss on hand..

i'm going to ballpark the entire sheet at around 1900 kcals, so the small rectangle pieces would be about 50 kcals each.

huh... so i believe 50 kcals is typically the limit of breaking a fast.
maybe having one was ok.
a serving of 4-5 crackers would be a good snack... around 200-250 kcals.
that's a 10" plate they're sitting on.

a little reevaluation of the almond flour, at ~$12 for the one lb bag, it only works out to $1.50 (using 1/2 cup) / batch of these.

I think the psyllium must help. I had thought I would sprinkle a little extra salt over them next time, but I have crackers with cheese usually so may not. I may try cutting them into shape while they are still warm next time.

well i found some of this yesterday....

psyllium husk powder.jpg

going to see how this works... lol.. in about 1/2 hour. here's something i learned... don't put coconut oil in the fridge.... it's temporarily SOLID coconut oil. currently warming it up in a water bath.

mixing with the psyllium powder, i get the feeling that it is more than just an inert ingredient for added fiber... it felt much more like the mixture bound up a little better and it was even evident when i tried spreading it out. should see the results soon.

oh yeah... big difference using the psyllium powder... initial cut and hardly any loose seeds this time. think i will look into getting one of these...

mezzaluna knife.jpg
would be just the thing to, if not cut through, will provide a nice score so the cracker sheet will break in consistent pieces. discovered this is called a mezzaluna knife. i foresee a late Christmas present to myself.... :santa:

the aroma of these crackers baking is simply marvelous...!

I might get one of those too as every time I see someone using one on TV I think "that looks like fun".

one more (i guess this has turned out to be pretty long) comment about these crackers... while the 2nd batch using the psyllium turned out to be great, spreading the seed dough over about 80% of a my cookie sheet (12" x 15"), using a rolling pin, the center area still turned out to be a little thick for what i'd call a cracker. next round i believe i will cut the dough ball in half and spread it out over two sheets. there's really no way of measuring the thickness (that i know of) aside from knowing the size of what you start with. i'll be happy if they are twice as thin, so i think this will work.

about the cooking time... Cate, i think the extra hour you gave them might be too much. what i did (even at the ~1/8" think crackers i made last time), was to cook them an hour @ 300° and remove them from the oven. i then left the oven door open to cool and found my oven has a "warming" setting that i dialed down to 140°, cut and plated the still moist crackers and then let them sit in the 140° warm setting for another 90 minutes. at that point they were hardened up and dry. i let them sit out for another 30 minutes to cool and the consistency was close to perfect.

again i relate this dough and baking to shortbread. when i take shortbread out of the over, the texture when i cut it at that point doesn't really feel like they are thoroughly baked, but if i were to leave them in until they firmed up and looked done, when they cooled off, they would be very hard and very crumbly. things like that, and i believe like these crackers, continue to "bake" right up to when they cool off. if you don't put them in a warming oven, i have a feeling the same consistency would be there, it would just take much, much longer... maybe a few hours. the warming oven isn't really baking them, it just accelerates the drying... something you want with a cracker (vs a cookie).

next time with the thinner crackers, i will try the same temps, but perhaps reduce the cooking time back to 45 minutes and i doubt if they will take 90 minutes to finish in the warming oven. maybe an hour and again another 20-30 minutes to cool off completely before sealing them up in an airtight container.

I gave them an extra 30 mins Flyer. I like my crackers a little thicker as I have cheese on them. I'm glad you like them.

Back