:) Looking for the harsh truth!

EHinata

I know I don't eat enough. I'm confused on how much I ought to eat, but I will get to that. Just looking for someone to critique me as well.

5' 2"
SW: 221
CW: 173
GW: 125

I would like to be at my Goal weight by June 19th..before I go on vacation.

I eat anywhere from 1000 to 1400 calories a day.. 1300 before I spained my ankle..which because no exercise at the moment..went back to 1000

I go to the gym everyday and walk 3 miles on the treadmill.

Thanks!

Well you aren't eating enough yes. How long have you been eating that caloric amount?

I know I don't eat enough. I'm confused on how much I ought to eat, but I will get to that. Just looking for someone to critique me as well.

5' 2"

I eat anywhere from 1000 to 1400 calories a day.. 1300 before I spained my ankle..which because no exercise at the moment..went back to 1000

Thanks!

Get yourself up to about 1900-2000 a day. More importantly, eat 5-6 times a day, about 250-350 calories a day. This will kick start your metabolism and let your body know that it's ok to burn fat because you will replace it. Your body will constantly fight you, and when it realizes that you will NOT feed it, it goes into starvation mode, and holds onto every ounce of fat it needs to keep itself running.

Also, just walking may not be the answer. You want to mix up your workouts. You want to actually lift weight 3 times a week (with about 15 minutes of cardio those days) , and do anywhere from 30-50 minutes of cardio on the other days.

You're probably thinking, "I don't want to lift and get buff", and I'm agreeing with you. Lifting weights for reps (lower weight, more reps) will not only tone, but build light muscles that are detrimental in weight loss. Muscle takes more energy to build, and will use fat as its building blocks. In other words, muscle eats fat quicker.

If you're in the gym every day, you're on the right track. Talk to a trainer or someone at the gym, and get a PLAN. They'll point you in the right direction.

Go to this site and this will give you your calories you burn at rest

Then you multiply by the activity level at the bottom and that will give you your TDEE. Decrease by ~800 Remember 3500 cal burned is a pound so eat less than what you come up with just don't go crazy and starve yourself.

Like mine is 2257 and Decrease mine ~800 cal a day to maintain a weight loss of 1-2 aweek. But I also do a cheat day but if you feel you can't do that then try bumping up on carbs twice a week.

sedentary activity total daily energy expenditure TDEE
1.2 x BMR - television or office work

light activity total daily energy expenditure TDEE
1.375 x BMR - exercise workout or sports 1-3 days per week

moderate activity total daily energy expenditure TDEE
1.55 x BMR - exercise workout or sports 3-5 days per week

high activity total daily energy expenditure TDEE
1.725 x BMR - exercise workout or sports 6-7 days per week

extreme activity total daily energy expenditure TDEE
1.9 x BMR- exercise workout or sports two times per day

I do 15% fat, 50% carbs, 35% protien of my cal. There is a great book called food counts and it gives you this info on food.

Good heavens! No matter how large or small you are, you need to have at least 1200 calories a day or, as Fourth&100 said, your body goes into starvation mode and starts buring away any muscle you have in order to survive.

The best advice I can give you is that you must have patience. Dropping down to a hard-to-maintain number of calories is setting your self up for big time failure. You will feel deprived. You will have little or no energy to workout. You will lose weight quickly, yes, but then your metabolism will slow down and so will your rate of loss. You will have excess skin from the sudden drop of pounds. And worst of all, you are likely to gain it all back as soon as you stop your program!

Finding a healthy balance of diet and exercise is your best chance at long-term success. And, you get to EAT!:D

Oh, thank you guys. I have been at 1,200 for about 2 months now. I lose about 2 lbs a week sometimes a little more and sometimes less. I don't feel deprived from only 1200. I do eat out every once in awhile...but not alot. I know I eat more every Saturday.

I have also started to lift weights 3 days a week.

if you guys think I need to I'll up the calories and see what happens.

Actually, how do you know how many calories you're eating? Are you guessing, or looking at labels?

I've read many places that women oftentimes underestimate their calories, up to a thousand a day.

5' 2"

Thanks!

1. walking or running only is a waste of time after a month or so.
2. try not to go below 1200 calories.

You want to actually lift weight 3 times a week (with about 15 minutes of cardio those days) , and do anywhere from 30-50 minutes of cardio on the other days.

I thought your post was going pretty good, but then I ran into a few disagreeable points. You dont have to do 15 minutes of cardio on weight training days, nor do you have to do 50 minutes on the other days. Interval training can take 20 minutes and burns much more than the long haul crap.

You're probably thinking, "I don't want to lift and get buff", and I'm agreeing with you. Lifting weights for reps (lower weight, more reps) will not only tone, but build light muscles that are detrimental in weight loss.

Light muscles? What are light muscles? Unless you're lifting for endurance, stick to heavy weight and lower reps.

Interval training can take 20 minutes and burns much more than the long haul crap.

Lol, no?

Cardio is definitely the best way to lose weight and stay healthy. It's recommended that one gets an hour a day, actually.

And it's definitely not "long haul crap", by the way. Even when I had problems with binge eating, something that I'm still fighting, I never became overweight BECAUSE of that 'useless' exercise.

Who recommends it? No book, no forum, no piece of info Ive ever read says that one needs 1 hour per day. The saying is 20 min, 3x per week.

Do you know what interval training is? How about EPOC?

You didnt gain weight because of you're eating. People can just as easily lose weight without exercise if they eat properly.

Who recommends it? No book, no forum, no piece of info Ive ever read says that one needs 1 hour per day.

The FDA?

Where the hell did you learn your stuff?

And people definitely DO lose more weight with exercise, since it adds muscle, which speeds up your metabolism. Ever notice that the skinny people who eat a lot exercise more than the fat people who eat very little and don't?

umm you are both right in a way i thnik here.
As far as i understand it - yes you can loose weight with no exercise at all. but your metabolism will slow down a fair bit.

As for exercise i reckon everyone is best to do whatever suits them best. Doing SOME is better than none at all.
If interval training is your thing - go for it, if cardio is your thing then also go for it.
Personally im not a runner or walker, i like cycling. But thats just my thing. I do some running and walking and weights to round it out, but as long as im doing SOME exercise then it really doesnt make that much of a difference unless i was trying out for some sort of fitness comp :)

All exercise should be applauded.

The FDA?

And people definitely DO lose more weight with exercise, since it adds muscle, which speeds up your metabolism. Ever notice that the skinny people who eat a lot exercise more than the fat people who eat very little and don't?

If you would like to debate, take it to pm. Can you provide a link to this also? I know what they say at sparkpeople, but I want to see this. Lets also not confuse exercise with cardio here either.

The FDA?

thank you.

umm you are both right in a way i thnik here.
As far as i understand it - yes you can loose weight with no exercise at all. but your metabolism will slow down a fair bit.

As for exercise i reckon everyone is best to do whatever suits them best. Doing SOME is better than none at all.
If interval training is your thing - go for it, if cardio is your thing then also go for it.
Personally im not a runner or walker, i like cycling. But thats just my thing. I do some running and walking and weights to round it out, but as long as im doing SOME exercise then it really doesnt make that much of a difference unless i was trying out for some sort of fitness comp :)

All exercise should be applauded.

and thank you too.

Can you elaborate on this?

your body will plateau eventually, as it will get used to this routine. you need to change things up.

Back