Lingwo's WL Log

Lingwo

Oct 5, 2020

Hi everyone,

Looking for some accountability, and I'm hoping this thread will do the trick. I'm looking to cut about 30lbs.

Starting Stats:

Height: 5'9
Weight: 203.6lbs

First Goal: 175lbs (-28.6)

Initial target macros: 159g Protein, 160g Carbs, 61g Fat
Eating Schedule: 16:8 Fast, feeding between 12:30 and 8:30

Oct 6/20 Weight: 201.8lbs (-1.8lbs / - 1.8lbs)

Yesterday's Macros: 165g Protein / 154g Carbs / 56g Fat
Yesterday's Training: Workout A of Fierce 5 Novice (Squats, Bench Press, Rows, Face Pull, SS Calf Raises + Tricep Pushdown)

Good to see some water weight come off on the first day, and it was good to get back in the gym with an actual set routine. Today is an off day for strength training, but I'll aim to do some cardio, either swimming or a bike ride.

I wasn't going to post this originally, because my lifts are really low. But, I feel like this could be something to look back on in a few months.

My strength training program will be structured with 2 different workouts (A/B). In week 1 I will do Workout A on Monday and Friday, and workout B on Wednesday. This will be flipped in the following week. I will work on cardio during off days. Both strength training sessions are full body.

Below is my actual results for yesterday's Workout A and also my target lifts for the next session; the goal is to see a slight progression throughout my cut.

Oct6.PNG

Hey Lingwo, and welcome! You seem to be off to a very good start, eating well and exercising. And your goal are reasonable and achievable. I think you will find keeping this diary up will be help for staying on track. Mine has been a really big help to me.

I look forward to following your progress!

Hey Lingwo, and welcome! You seem to be off to a very good start, eating well and exercising. And your goal are reasonable and achievable. I think you will find keeping this diary up will be help for staying on track. Mine has been a really big help to me.

I look forward to following your progress!

Thanks Rob! I had a glance at your journal and it was really motivating. It's cool to see how engaged you are in the community, I will try to do the same.

I do hope posting daily will be a help, especially once this initial wave of motivation wears off.

Welcome Lingwo, you are indeed off to a great start. I'll be following with interest...

I do hope posting daily will be a help, especially once this initial wave of motivation wears off.
Yes, that is one of the great things about getting into the forum. Motivation is funny, but one thing is for sure it will not stay the same over time, so staying on track as motivation wanes is important and the forum has certainly helped me do that. Getting involved can give you incentives to post beyond your own progress. As you develop friends here you will want to know how they are doing and tell them how you are doing, even on down days. I think posting and reading on down days is the most important. The unique thing about this forum is that we are all people with the same problem, a drive to overeat and gain weight. And we are all working to solve that problem. It has many different faces, but I believe we are all battling the same underlying demon. That and the ability communicate in English is about the only thing we all share, we come from many different walks of life, ages, and parts of the world, but none of that seems to matter. It's good to have you in our community.

I see you work in the oil business, what do you do? I am a semi-retired consulting engineer, over my career I did a lot of work for the oil companies, have worked for most of the majors. I am an environmental engineer, really a civil/chemical engineer who does cleanup work, remediation. And being originally from Louisiana have many relatives in the oil business. It is not a bad profession, but the business is subject to lots of ups and downs. Down right now I think.

Welcome Lingwo, you are indeed off to a great start. I'll be following with interest...
Hi, Lingwo & welcome to the forum. :)
Welcome to the forum :)

Thank you!

I see you work in the oil business, what do you do? I am a semi-retired consulting engineer, over my career I did a lot of work for the oil companies, have worked for most of the majors. I am an environmental engineer, really a civil/chemical engineer who does cleanup work, remediation. And being originally from Louisiana have many relatives in the oil business. It is not a bad profession, but the business is subject to lots of ups and downs. Down right now I think.

That's great, cleanup and remediation engineering sounds expensive ;). Have you mostly worked in LA? I've worked in a few different parts of the industry, I'm working for one of the European Majors but I'm Canadian. I've worked in offshore upstream, marine crude transport, onshore pipeline and terminal supply. Right now I'm managing some of our aviation assets. I've been in this role for about 2 years. It can be an interesting industry, but there are just so many ups and downs. We are going through a bit of a restructuring right now.

Oct 7/20 Weight: 201.6lbs (-0.2lbs / - 2.0lbs)

Yesterday's Macros: 171g Protein / 132g Carbs / 68g Fat = 1820cal
Yesterday's Training: Off day for strength training, just extended walking my dog for longer to ease into things.

Well, I figured I wouldn't lose another 1.8lbs yesterday. My target weekly weight loss is 1.4-1.6lbs, so I'll take 0.2lbs per day. I wasn't feeling 100% after work yesterday, so decided to take it easy and just extend my normal dog walk as my activity. I’ve got a French Bulldog, Fall is his favorite time to walk as it isn’t too warm or cold (we are in Canada). Aside from that, I just went to grab some groceries so I don’t feel tempted to order in this week.

Today I’ve got lunch scheduled with my new boss, it will be our first time meeting. I’ll try to find something heavy on protein so my macros aren’t completely messed up for today. I’ll be right about 16 hours into my fast by the time it rolls around, so the timing is good.

Tonight is Workout B for strength training.

Offshore up stream sounds interesting, I have not done much offshore work, only on a few spills. I did spend a night offshore tuna fishing around a deep-water rig in Louisiana last week, see the picture below. Most of my work has been inshore and a mix of up and downstream. I have worked in many places, mostly not in Louisiana. In Canada I have only done a little work, for Chevron and Husky. I have worked for several European companies including Total, Agip, BP, and Shell. As a consultant you can end up working most any place for most any company.

An extended dog walk sounds great, a good break from strength training.

Sunset about 40 miles off the Mississippi delta.
IMG_1786 (002).jpg

Just lurking around.... You're making great progress so far.

What app are you using to track your intake?

Thanks! I use Avatar Nutrition, they give you your macros, and adjust for you weekly based on your weight loss. It costs $9/month, but lets me set my macros without thinking. The tracker doesn't have as many items as MyFitnessPal, but it still isn't bad and it's easy to add food.

Oct 8/20 Weight: 201.8lbs (+0.2lbs / - 1.8lbs)

Yesterday's Macros: 142g Protein / 171g Carbs / 68g Fat = 1863cal
Yesterday's Training: I did Workout B: Front Squats, Shoulder Press, Deadlifts, Lat Pulldowns, and a superset of captains chair knee raises + dumbbell curls. Log in the snippet below:

Capture.PNG

Notes:
No weight loss yesterday, but I guess there will be days like that. Maybe I miscalculated macros at lunch yesterday, but, I still think I'm on the right track. I had a good training session yesterday, and I'm really glad to be back in the gym. For a while in my early 20s I trained quite a bit, so I'm hoping the muscle mass I once had can come back pretty fast. I've still retained some of my muscle mass, but it's certainly been reduced quite a bit.

On a personal note, I'm really starting to believe in the law of attraction. I just commented in Vegas' thread a couple of days ago about considering an industry change, and just yesterday I was contacted by a recruiter in a different industry. So, I'll likely at least have a preliminary call to see what it is about.

I thought I would also share my gym set-up. I have a pretty interesting living situation now. I moved into a hotel residence, but now with COVID the hotel has closed and the building is converting to full residences; but is still pretty empty. So, I've pretty much got the gym and pool to myself as there's only about 20% of the building occupied.

Some photos of the gym:

image5.jpegimage4.jpegimage3.jpegimage2.jpegimage1.jpegimage0.jpeg

Hey Lingwo.

I'm a big believer in the law of attraction, I hope this call proves lucrative for you!

That pool looks amazing. Lucky you not having to share! :p

Hey Lingwo.

I'm a big believer in the law of attraction, I hope this call proves lucrative for you!

That pool looks amazing. Lucky you not having to share! :p
Lucky you with the gym & pool virtually to yourself :)

It's pretty good for now! But I'm confident the building will fill up pretty fast so I'll have to share soon. Will enjoy while I can.

Not bad for a Hotel gym, most hotel gyms are not great, and unusual for one to have a squat rack.

I don't mind sharing the gym but I love having the pool to myself. :)

Back