Jay

January 12, 2023

Happy, happy New Years, everybody!!

I am excited to announce that I will be back on the weight loss wagon. I have fully adapted to my CPAP. I went from not breathing 45 times a night (severe) to not breathing only 3-6 (normal/mild). My energy levels have soared and my moods have become significantly better since starting the CPAP. I feel renewed and so much happier about life. It's amazing how fixing your sleep can affect everything else.

That being said, my body is ready to start losing all this weight. One of my good friend's boyfriend passed away due to high blood pressure and an aortic dissection. Basically the biggest artery in the heart (aorta) exploded because blood pressure was too high over too long a period of time. This really was tragic and traumatizing for her, but also a little for me because the dude was still young and in his early 40s. He also worked out a lot, but he just never got his diet and blood pressure in check. I am motivated to not repeat the same fate since I know I also suffer from hypertension when I don't keep track of my diet and stress.

Not only that, but I have a big trip coming up in August. I am going back to the Philippines to see my family. Last time I was there, I was around 170 lbs (I believe). I am currently 223-225lbs. I have seven months to get myself to a lighter weight or else I'll suffer from constant fat comments from family members who have always been skinny. I want to prove to myself that I can get to the weight I need to be through discipline, motivation, and determination.

Calculating to get to 170 lbs, that means I would need to lose 2 lbs a week. That's not at all bad and is actually quite achievable if I just focus in on my diet. Right now, I notice my tendency is to bargain (I had a stressful day, so I deserve this bottle of coke. Or I am feeling down about my emotions, so chocolate will make me feel better. Or since I exercised for an hour, I deserve to eat half of this pizza. etc.). I am vowing that from today onward and at least until August, I will no longer bargain and stick to my diet plan. I NEED to look better before I go back to the Philippines.

A Declaration of Wellness - How I'm going to get to my ideal weight
Goal: 170lbs
Time Frame: 7 months (get that Philippines body!!)
Weight loss per week: 2lbs

I will reach my goal weight by:
  1. Not eating chips or candy anymore. There is no room for "just a nibble" or "just one". They are off limits. If I want something crunchy, then I can eat carrots with hummus. Chips are my weakness and I know I don't have any control over them when they're in the house. The boyfriend will also need to assist me with this as he is the one that tends to bring chips in the house. He has to go hide them somewhere, or at least keep them out of sight.
  2. Weighing myself at least once a week, including measurements. This will be every Monday before work.
  3. Staying away from alcohol. I never liked alcohol anyway and don't enjoy them, but I try social drinking. From now until August, no more.
  4. Doing 30 minutes of cardio every day. It doesn't have to be intense, but it has to be something. I can do the elliptical, or I can do a home walking program, but I must do some sort of cardio.
  5. Weight lifting 3 times a week using free weights. I have some at home. They will be total body dumbbell compound workouts.
  6. I will stay hydrated and keep my water bottle with me. Goal is to finish the entire water bottle by the end of the day.
  7. Daily smoothies made of fruits and vegetables. I have been doing this the past 4 days and it's been wonderful for my bowel regularity.
  8. Saying "No" to junk foods at work. There is no "just a slice" or "it's a special occasion". The answer is "No, I don't want that. I am trying to reach my goal weight by August."
  9. NO MORE VENDING MACHINE. Leave your wallet in the car.
  10. Get ready to sleep by 9:30PM. Brush teeth, get clothes ready, and hop in bed by 10PM. Phone will be placed on my desk and away from reach.
  11. Journaling every day and keep track of foods and calories.
  12. 1800 calories a day.
I know this seems extreme, but if I give myself no wiggle room, then I won't be able to talk myself out of eating well and exercising. I know it seems crazy, but this is all just short-term to reach my goal weight by August. Putting that into perspective, this seems easier, doable, and temporary.

See you all tomorrow, bright and early!

Careful with leaving your wallet in the car of course, unless your parking spot is well-guarded, but other than that your plan doesn't sound extremely extreme. Although 2 pounds a week for 7 months straight is a lot, or at least it will be a lot by the time you get closer to goal. But that's not something to worry about just yet.

Will be cheering you on Jay!
I like the idea of the carrots with hummus replacing the chips--sounds delicious and healthy and a good replacement.
Anyways you sound nicely determined and motivated!

I'll join the cheer squad too. Eating carrots with hummus, instead of chips, is an excellent idea. I love celery with hummus too. You do sound determined & motivated. Go, Jay!

Careful with leaving your wallet in the car of course, unless your parking spot is well-guarded, but other than that your plan doesn't sound extremely extreme. Although 2 pounds a week for 7 months straight is a lot, or at least it will be a lot by the time you get closer to goal. But that's not something to worry about just yet.

Will be cheering you on Jay!
I like the idea of the carrots with hummus replacing the chips--sounds delicious and healthy and a good replacement.
Anyways you sound nicely determined and motivated!

I'll join the cheer squad too. Eating carrots with hummus, instead of chips, is an excellent idea. I love celery with hummus too. You do sound determined & motivated. Go, Jay!
I appreciate the comments, everyone!! I am excited to get this started. This is a new year and with all the holidays and holiday parties behind me, I feel like there are no obstacles in my way.

January 13, 2023

I started off this morning with a healthy fruit/vegetable smoothie and 30 minutes of cardio. It's 2PM and I'm still awake and filled with energy. I managed to say no to chips and candy so far today. I had a tuna sandwich with some fruits, and a taco salad with no taco chips. Today is feeling good and positive.

I am going out to a restaurant later today with my BF, and his sister who is coming from California. I will order a simple chicken, rice, and vegetable dish to keep my diet clean as possible.\

I'm holding my breath for Monday to see what I weigh as now. Post-holiday weight will be a bit of a bummer, but I'm happy that I get to move forward with my diet plans!

That first weigh-in often hurts a bit. But it doesn't matter so much where you start as long as you're headed in the right direction.

January 16, 2023

I am 224.5 lbs as of today. I'm not letting it bring me down since I know I am essentially starting from ground zero today. So far this morning, I had some coffee with creamer, a veggie/fruit smoothie, and some brown/white rice with chicken and veggies. I also exercised today. I felt my body craving to get up and do some cardio.

It is a little challenging at the moment to get things done because I have been sleep deprived due to being on-call. I am a health care administrator and I am on-call for a week straight. Weekends are the roughest, so it's a good thing they're out of the way now. I am on-call 24/7 so people can call me throughout the day if there are issues, so that explains why I feel so tired! I will definitely to fit in a nap somewhere and make sure to sleep well. I have been exercising every day and my body needs to recover. Today, could only manage 20 minutes of cardio, but it still felt good.

I am continuing to be motivated and positive!

Craving cardio sounds like a great start! Disturbed sleep can really mess with my hunger cues. It's kind of ironic that working in healthcare is often so unhealthy.

Back