Is this a stupid exercise?

I have always done "mini" leg presses as part of my training and found a direct correlation between my strength level and my throwing ( javelin ) distance.

After posting a video of me doing a set of 15 reps with 1648lb last week at age 52, the "experts" from the peanut gallery have been voicing their outright disapproval and say how useless, dangerous, pointless and stupid this exercise is.

I competed for 40 years without a single surgery, made two Olympic teams, was an alternate in another two and came 2nd in my 8th Olympic Trials in 2012 aged 50.
I have broken dozens of national records and age records including a World Record in 1986 and 3 World Masters Age (M50 +) Records in 2012.

So......Is this stuped exercise or is it a specific functional exercise?

Who is right?

This video is the mini leg press:

Thid video is my World Record throw at the 2012 Olympic Trials - notice the angle and action/ reaction of the left / blog leg during the actual throw.

There is no such thing as a bad exercise as long as you have a focus for it.
I had the same when doing seated row where I arched forward and back, because that takes emphasis from the last. They were right of course but I wasn't doing it for my lats but to strengthen my whole back for deadlifts so it was irrelevant.
I hate people declaring x or y exercise is bad because they don't understand what you are doing it for. If you only needed leg power in a limited range or more of it there this will have worked for you, and evidently did.

Back