Is it wrong to feel suicidal over it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grrlion

This might be the inappropriate place to post this, hell, it might be the inappropriate FORUM, but I don't know where else.

I'm a guy. I'm 17. When I was 15, I weighed 330 pounds(three hundred and thirty pounds). One day, I was tired of being fat, tired of being chunky, having no friends, and most of all, I kind of wanted a boyfriend(haha).

In about a year, year and a half, I managed to drop 130 pounds, leaving me about 200 even right now. I'm around 6'2'' and everyone tells me I need to stop losing the weight now. In some places on my body, I can feel bones sticking out, and on others, on a lot of places, I can grab fistfulls of excess skin. I feel warped and ugly. This is something I never expected to have to go through. I thought when I finished losing weight I would be normal, but I'm anything but.

Weight training? I've been doing it for months, almost an entire year. Jogging, lifting, doing extreme aerobics and cardio. I've lost an inch around my stomach in all that time. The fat just hangs around me, all baggy-like. It's disgusting, I'm disgusting.

Everyone tells me that surgery is my only option if I don't want to live with it. Is it really that extreme? I don't have that kind of money, and neither does my family. And most importantly, could they remove it from every part of my body? It really isn't just my stomach, it's on my legs, my ass, everywhere.

In short, I cannot get a surgery to remove this. I gave up a few months ago, I finally gave up. I remember collapsing in the field I was jogging in and just sobbing for an hour. I don't feel like it's ever going to go away. I'm sorry for whining, but does anyone know anything about the surgeries that take away this stuff?

Are they expensive? How much can they do? Anything would be appreciated.

Thanks.

It will go away eventually. Might take a year or two but it does. Skin continually regrows itself from the inside out.

You may also try talking to your doctor then your health insurance company. if there are any health issues concerning the excess skin, insurance may cover most or all of the costs of surgery. Your doctor can inform you of any potential health effects of carrrying around too much extra skin and request insurance authorization for treatments.

If you truly feel suicidal, you need to get some help. Ending your lilfe over a physical imperfection is not rational. The extreme weight loss may also have upset your hormones which can wreakhavoc on your emotions and make things seem much worse and hopeless than they really are.

There are people out there you love you and who would love you even if you had two heads and an arm growing out your chest. People admire you and admire your strength and your ability to lose the weight in the first place. People envy you, they may envy your success, your ability, your intelligence, your job, your car, your hair. . .

You are a worthwhile person and if you feel like you are not, you need to talk to a professional who can show you how to remember and appreciate all that you are.

Red said:
Ending your lilfe over a physical imperfection is not rational.
As true as that may be, being a female is very stressful because daily we have expectations to meet when it comes to appearance.. and I know how you feel - inadequate, like nothing will change.. 'what's the use?' right? First as you know you need to make priorities about yourself. You need to pick out the things that are great and that make other people really like you and that's the person you are inside.. that's you and that's how you should always be defined - not by your body.
It is not "wrong" to feel suicidal about it.. but it isn't okay. And you shouldn't have to live with feelings like that. Maybe talking to somebody will help you realize what's really important. Your doctor will be a big sourve of help.
As for the surgery, once I reach my target weight I will be having a breast reduction and that is covered for me because it's health insurance because it's due to 'health reasons'. Ummm.. but remember that you are still very young and that's a great thing because your skin still has its elasticity and over time it will spring back.. (unfortunately I can't say back to the way it was). Keep your body very well moisturized and if anything.. don't tan. What I found worked best for my pregnancy stretch marks was cocoa butter from the Body Shop.
But really, you've come this far - that's quite the obstacle and I envy you. :) Keep your chin up, life is worthwhile and it is great and you can make it. If you ever need someone to talk to you can message me. Cheers hun

elizab3th said:
As for the surgery, once I reach my target weight I will be having a breast reduction and that is covered for me because it's health insurance because it's due to 'health reasons'.

You know, as you lose weight your breasts will reduce themselves :confused: I think. As for the expections people believe they have to fill, thats a mental issue, not a physical issue and needs to be addressed separately. People are appreciated for who they are. Yeah if you're different it would be hard growing up while kids are in the immature phase, but then you grow up and are surrounded by adults who could care less what you look like but how competent you are with real issues. Not cosmetic blemishes. Noone is perfect and its sad to see those 60 year old hollywood women on tv that have destroyed their faces and bodies with unnecessary surgeries and procedures in the pursuit of perfection.

ImaFatass said:
You know, as you lose weight your breasts will reduce themselves :confused: I think.
haha exactly.. 'you think' - stay out of girls business!!! Just kidding.. the breasts are actually the last place you'll lose.. which is odd considering that they are the first to be added on to as well! Unfortunately in my situation I'm have a very tiny frame and they were massive to begin with haha. Plus with the pregnancy and I didn't breast feed that just ballooned them out more..

wow.. I should stop talking about boobs. hah

On another topic, it's hard to find people that don't judge you for what's on the outside. Family will always love you but it's like we live in an incredibly shallow world (very sad) - but you need to rise above most people, you have to learn for yourself that that is not true and you have so much going for you .. who cares about looks ? It's not that easy - I know what you mean, and I'm on your side - just keep your head up and believe in yourself and your strengths. You are a wonderful person and if some people choose to not believe that because of a little stretched skin - they are TOTALLY missing out! Flip 'em off... haha... do whatever it takes to make you realize that they are not worth it! You are!

Last edited:
In about a year, year and a half, I managed to drop 130 pounds, leaving me about 200 even right now.

Keep up the great work. The more you try to lose weight and change your mind set to say you can change, the more your body will adapt to your new self. Don't ever stop believing and keep posting on this site. The more you come to this forum, the more help you'll get to achieve your ultimate goal. :)

Just FYI, the OP was a GUY, not a girl.

Depression can "cause" obesity, and vice versa. You need to find a counselor. There are free ones out there, if cost is a concern.

I think everyone experiences suicidal thoughts over one thing or another at times. The excess skin will probably shrink over time if you keep eating healthy and exercising. You've lost a large amount of weight in a short period of time. But you're very young and your skin will tighten up.

And if it doesn't meet your standards, I'm sure you can figure out a way to get a tummy tuck. Maybe a combination of insurance, help from family, and personal loans.

umm guys, the dude posted 2 years ago now. This thread is dead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back