I'm still Sure!

140.4 Queen of Rationalization that I am....

Since it is snack season and I have been snacking just a bit and my weight is a bit higher as a result, I am treating this as a mini bulk phase. I shall take advantage of the extra calories (totally disregarding the fact that these are not quality calories) and combined with weight training, hope to build a little more muscle.

I've long worked on the very sloooowwww body transformation scheme of do the training while maintaining the same body weight and slowly reduce body fat (BF) while gaining muscle. I went from about 26% BF to less than 17% when I was really focused on the idea and the process. I am not that lean now, likely more like 21% BF, but this summer was very much about running and hiking rather than strength and it was a good summer.

Anyway, now that I've made the mental transition to get back to strength training, I shall take advantage of these extra calories and carbs to push myself a little in the weight room. And in doing so this morning, I did a decent assessment of where I am - my right side (upper body) is noticeably weaker than my left. This is a combination of the injury and resulting disuse of my right hand for 2 months and more recently, that pesky muscle spasm that is still bugging me (it has been more than a month).

I've an appointment this afternoon to see a different physical therapist, the one who helped me recover when I popped a disk in my lower back in 2008. That injury disabled me for the better part of a year, but she helped me come back stronger and better than I had been pre-accident. I am excited to work with her again as I feel confident she will give me some exercises I can do to first get rid of the cramp and second, regain my right side strength and mobility.

Of course with all this focus on strength, I still have a 24 hour event over New Years and a goal to go 70-75 miles during that period, so I need to get in some miles. We are thinking we will do a long outing on Sunday on the Sedona Marathon course. We will start in the middle of the course when the pavement changes to dirt so we will be on dirt. We'll do an out and back 1 way for around 10-15 miles, then swing by the car for a little break and to get more food/drink/different clothing - whatever we need at that point, then go out for more miles, distance to be determined by mood, weather, and how we are feeling. I expect we will rack up at least 20 miles and hopefully more.

EFX high speed happy feet for 12 minutes, approx. 1.6 miles (too high, but if my feet actually moved that fast when running I would be close to that).
Hanging knee raises 3 x 10
Back extensions
Land Mine Twisters 2 sets side to side, also shoulder press in lunge position 2 sets on each side
Side pull lunges 50lbs left, 45 right 2x15
Shoulder press 10lbs difference between left and right 2x8
Chest fly 25lbs 2x8
Arm extensions on the fit ball 2x15 with first 3, then 5lb weights

BOSU balance work with 12lb medicine ball

Ironically the best way I have found to recover from things that have made me uneven is to train both sides rather than focus on the weaker side. Counter intuitive as this seems I have used it many times.
When I tried doing the more obvious working the weakened side more, all it did was fatigue this side and allow the stronger side to get weaker by losing focus.
Ironically my aim this year was to gain weight and I have lost some. But in truth the idea was to improve appearance for the wife and she thinks I have improved over the year so job done.

I appreciate your input Tony. On some of the exercises done 1 side at a time, I'm adjusting the weights and going heavier on the left. On things that use both arms at once, I'm focusing on form and if my form is suffering due to the weakness, I'm dropping the weight some. Since at the moment, I'm on machines rather than free weights, the adjustments are easy, and there is no danger when I can't do the movement. I'd be hesitant to try an overhead press right now, hopefully that is temporary!

PT appointment went well, I'll see her 2 times a week for a bit to work through this. In her assessment, something has shifted one of my vertebra visibly out of alignment. I have some simple mobility exercises to do a few times a day, focused on getting my right scapula to move more than it currently is doing, and to move the muscles in the area. We also discussed what I am doing at the moment in terms of strength training and she didn't have any concerns about any of the exercises, just said don't do anything that triggers the nerve pain down my arm.

Fast walking at Buffalo Park this morning, a smidge over 3 miles, averaged 12:32/mile.

Sunday was forecast to be nice, particularly in Sedona which is 2800 feet lower than our house. We drove down early with the plan of doing at least 20 miles, hopefully more. Tom wanted to try and average 5 miles/hour with run/walk combo. With recent storms, parts of the dirt road were nasty, slippery mud. Mostly those crossings were brief and the lack of dust on the rest of the dirt was much appreciated. I was in shorts and a tech-t, balancing between comfort and a little cool.

At the end of the first 14 mile leg, we were averaging 5.1/mph, or right around 12 minute miles. We stopped briefly to eat and drink as well as make some foot and clothing adjustments. I switched to a long sleeve shirt as the day was cooling quickly and I tried a different pair of shoes - not as good, my toes were a bit unhappy for the next 10 miles. My taping job on my forefeet did well - no blisters, no hot spots, so I'm counting that a success.

After the little break, we set off in the opposite direction, now on pavement. I dislike pavement whether I'm running or walking - yes, it is smoother, but pavement is hard on a body. So, five miles of running the downhills, speedwalking the flats and uphills and we decided to turn around. My glutes and hamstrings were getting grumpy, but my energy was good. We reached a downhill section just before the last mile and it was tough to start running that last time, we were both ready to be done.

So, 24 miles in just under 5 hours (4:58), 1500 feet of elevation gain, with an average pace of 12:25 and an average moving pace of 12:14 (have to stop and pee and/or drink now and then). I am pleased with this.

I've got some sore spots today, but nothing too nasty. Must say my "workout" this morning was moving myself back and forth in front of the jet in the hot tub at the gym. At Across the Years, I'll shoot for just 4 miles/hour on average in hopes of lasting a good deal longer, I would really like to go for at least 20 hours.

I looked with some potential interest at a charity trek organised by my workplace, right up until I realised they considered a 25 mile walk to be worth taking 2 days over. Terrifyingly most of my colleagues feel that would be too much, personally 12.5 miles a day would bore the heck out of me.
I was by nature more set up for cross country running so when I needed to adjust for the tarmac and concrete this involved total technique change. Now I find running on solid 'punishing' surfaces to be very natural, due to time spent on it, and the stuff we are naturally designed for harder.
If your taping etc. is right you'll be well set for your event. Not tried or considered a 24 hour event, I think doing so could be stupid for me now, epilepsy meds hammer the co-ordination especially the high evening dose, not a good plan.
At the moment I just want this cold to clear so I will be well enough to train again, making me more than a little techy now.

I thought you just thought you were getting a cold - didn't realize you went ahead and caught it... next thing you know, Ryan will get sick as you do have some history of sharing. I'm dodging all bugs as I have plans!

Owww, the second day soreness from Sunday's lovely excursion is nasty. It was a wonderful day in the amazing red rock country of Sedona, and I am pleased at our distance and the pace at which we covered that distance, but my legs are grumpy and overall energy is a bit low.

Did a quick mile to warm up and get the blood flowing, then did upper body weights.
- Medicine ball routine to loosen everything (BOSU's were in use so just flat on the floor)
- Hanging knee raises 3x12
- Back extensions 3x12
- Cross body pulls in lunge position with 45lbs, 2x15 (really focused on 'time under tension' with these so did not let the plates down)
- Lat pulldowns 2x10 with 50 lbs - really focused on using my lats, not my arms for the entire range of motion
- Shoulder press - 1 set with both arms, but the right side weakness is really a problem with this exercise, so switched to doing each arm separately 2x8 with 25 left, 2x6 w/20 right
- Chest fly - as above, but just reduced weight to use both arms for both flies and forward push
- Landmine twister 2x15, then single arm lunge presses - had to aid right side just a bit

Will go to PT this afternoon.

Snow forecast for tonight into tomorrow, 3-6 inches so not major. So far, XC ski possibilities over winter break are not looking promising. We would need a couple of major dumps. We also have a tradition of doing a Christmas Day (or eve) hike in the Grand Canyon and those are generally nicer without a lot of snow as the upper trails get really icy. We are undecided about what trail to do as we don't want to get too sore a week before ATY. I'm voting for my favorite short, steep, rugged trail, New Hance. Tom suggested Tanner - longer, steep comes in 3 distinct parts. Either is great.

Aw lunges - totally a love/hate thing!

Not much snow yet, hoping more comes during the day. Went to the gym for a speedy 1.5 mile warm-up, then did BOSU work balancing and with heavy ball before flipping the BOSU over for lunges. Lots and good variety of lunges to work my quads, hammies and glutes. A chorus in a song that played as I was finishing a rather punishing set of tick-tock lunges was "all of your wallowing is unbecoming" - stupid song, valid message.

Highlight of my morning was seeing a bald eagle swoop in front of my truck as I was driving away from home through the forest. It has been a while since we have had any nest nearby.

Upper body workout today.
Quick mile to warm-up, then some heavy medicine ball work on the BOSU before heading into the weight room.
Hanging knee raises, then decided to give bench press a try. Pre-May injury I was on track to hit my goal of benching 100 lbs (I had a single rep max of 95). I'm back at the start now, but as of today, I have started and I'm pleased about that. Did a set of 8 @ 45lbs, then added 5lb plates, 2x6 @ 55. Right side weakness is a bit nervous so I didn't push it. And just for grins, tried an overhead press @ 45 - that is a bit too iffy on the right to go for reps. I'll get there...

More hanging knee raises, then land mine twister sets with the 45lb bar. Lunged shoulder press 2 sets, lower reps on right
Lat pulls 2x10 @ 60, focused on technique
Shoulder press machine 2x8 sets at 25
Triceps
Crossbody pulls in lunge position

On a happy note, I realized that while I have lost strength, my muscle definition is still really good - I look strong and defined even if I don't feel it yet.

Last time I popped in here my virus checker went birzerk so I just stayed away for a while, but I've been working hard.

Quick catch-up:
- Did a fun 15 miler on Christmas day down in the desert as a last training run before Across the Years
- Missed that pesky 70 mile target at ATY once again, although I got close at 68.234 miles. Did hit the goals of 1) more miles than 2013 and 2) do it 'healthier' - no blisters, no screaming leg pain. Minor blister on my little toe was it!
- When there has been snow (twice) we've snowshoed or XC skied
- Working hard at strength goals again and am making progress at getting my right shoulder/arm back to similar strength to left.

Goals and focus for 2015
1. Refocus on core strength. A strong flexible core is essential to everything I love to do and key to strong physical ability as well as surviving an office job.
- Fitball work, toes to bar, planks, pushups, TRX, L sits

2. Strength training. I had set a number of goals for 2014 that went by the wayside after the accident in May. I would still like to achieve those goals, so am renewing for 2015:
- bench press 100 lbs
- squat my body weight or better
- 10 pullups continuous
- muscle up on the low tricky bar at home (approx. 70 inches)

3. Focus on agility - with all the endurance stuff I do, it is easy to lose agility, and yet, agility is crucial to not falling, not getting hurt, and to being able to PLAY!
- trampoline, slackline
- speed ladder drills
- shuttle runs between cones
- box jumps

4. Flexibility - actually one can be too flexible, but I'm a long way from that. I need to be a little more regular at some basic stretching to maintain all around flexibility. And it would be very cool to do a backbend again...

At the moment, I'm happy to be done with endurance for a while, but that is temporary, I always come back to it because I love long distance hiking. The next few months will bring a couple of short races, hopefully a snowshoe race just for grins, a ski trip (telemark at a downhill resort) and several Grand Canyon hikes if possible since winter into spring is the BEST time to hike the Canyon. Also, some days the best thing for my mental state is happy, high heart rate, fast feet cardio. But, I'm looking forward to a strength and play focus for a bit.

Monday catch-up, 138.6

Saturday we headed to Prescott to explore a bit around Granite Mountain. It is still beautiful, but changed considerably by a terrible wildfire that burned through a couple of years ago (2013 I believe). It is also a challenging rock climbing area, hence, Tom's interest. It is a couple thousand feet lower in elevation than Flagstaff and I was looking forward to a day of warmish hiking, maybe even wearing shorts. Could have done so based on temperature, but as we were scrambling through a good deal of high desert brush, I saved my skin from scratches by not changing into the shorts I had in my pack. After reconnoitering (Tom went back today to rock climb with a friend), we hiked up the main trail. We were enjoying the view when we remembered that the sign in the parking lot warned of gates closing early. Yikes!!! We started back down, partial jog when not too rough, running when we could. We crossed paths with some climbers more than halfway down and were told not to worry, that we would still be able to get out as the barrier was a tire strip, not a gate. We eased off, but still moved fairly quickly as it was nearly dusk and we still had a 3 hour drive home. 10 miles, 2700 feet of elevation gain, good day!

Sunday we just did stuff around home, but at mid-day when the temp was up in the 50's, I took advantage and jumped on the trampoline for 25 minutes. I wasn't doing much in the way of tricks, just bouncing, spinning, and enjoying the movement and the freedom from gravity for brief intervals.

Technically today is a holiday, but I'm working and will trade it for a day next month. My organization presents a 3 day conference in February and there is much to prepare including the 2 breakout sessions I am responsible for, plus co-presenting 3 others and offering the opening session general remarks.

Went for a quick workout this morning:
Step ups: 8x45, 12x60, 12x60
Hanging knee raises 2x12
Inverted rows 3 sets of 8 interspersed with OHP 3 sets of 4
Bench press: 8x55, 6x60, 7x60, 6x60
Kettlebell swings - 100+ with 15lb bell (was listening to music more than counting)

Not exactly planned or well rounded, just worked on areas of weakness (upper) and added some legs because...

Gym for me - core and leg day - UGH!
On Sunday as I was jumping on the trampoline for the first time in ages, I realized that the core weakness that I noticed over the last several hours at ATY was still with me. I had to consciously engage my core as I was jumping, and worse, it was a little weak feeling. Rats! My core needs to be bombproof... or at least endurance and play-proof. This is why core focus is one of my goals for the year, so back at it!

BOSU balance work with heavy medicine ball - 2 songs
Single leg deadlifts 2x15/leg
Split squat lunges - 2 songs
BOSU lunges - 1 song
Fitball work - hamstring curls, jack knifes, mountain climbers, planks & pushups (feet on ball)
Planks - 1 long song - front and sides
Fire hydrants 2x15/leg

Core is key. That's why it's amusing to watch people crunching away after abs without understanding that the core is everything in the midsection.

Weird that crunches are the go to exercise for people when they are so useless...

T had a DVD with Ueli Steck on this morning - the man is a machine with truly amazing cardio, not to mention climbing and mountaineering skills. Anyway, it pushed my 'whim' towards cardio as I haven't done any sweat-monster leave a puddle on the floor cardio in a while. Ended up on the spin bike and let my tunes determine whether I was spinning fast or pushing hard or both. (Did set a rule that watts had to stay above 100 and cadence above 85).

The fun part with doing outdoor cardio at this time of year was seen yesterday. I still sweat profusely but the temperature is low enough that some of the sweat at the very trailing edge of my shorts had actually frozen. Not so much creating a puddle as a frost patch, who knows given time I could get an icicle.

At the gym yesterday, a man I chat with now and then said "You are really working it lately". And I have been, it feels good to push myself. Funny, Wednesday when I was on the spin bike before things got intense, I was looking at my fellow exercisers and wondering about their motivations. Are they just there because they know exercise is good for them? Trying to lose weight? Training for something? It is just part of their routine? (Hmm, am I in this last category? Maybe...) Many people are there regularly just as I am. Some seem to push themselves nearly everyday while others appear to only ever go through the motions - or at least that is how it appears. I can't know what their level of intensity feels like and I should try and remember that.

Thursday workout (weight in pounds, reps x weight x sets)
- Weighted Step ups - 10x45, 10x60x2 - holding the weight is really my limitation at the moment, but arms/hands are getting stronger, I should be back to 70lbs fairly soon
- Side pull lunges 12x50x2
- Single leg deadlifts 15x20x2
- Lat pulls 8x60x2 (was a good day for muscle isolation/focus on lats and rhomboids)
- Hamstring curls 10x20x2
- Landmine twisters 8x45x3
- shoulder press 8x45
- Quad extensions 8x35x3 each leg separately - holding off on squats as the last time I did them it tweaked my knee, so building up a bit first
- 8 really good, full body pushups
- planks
- straight arm side planks with weighted rotation 8x5x2

139.0 Kind of dragging today, it has been a long week with lots of hard work, and while sleep has been decent, I guess it has been a bit short, or really just interrupted. Will have to decide about working one day this weekend as I am a long way from ready for the conference which is the week after next.

Went to the gym primarily just to get some movement in. Temp in the teens this morning so I briefly considered a walk outside and discarded the notion rather quickly. Decided upon a whole body, but fairly low intensity workout.
- 3000 meters of the rower - a smidge over 15 minutes. Moderate pace, lots of focus on core engagement and whole body pull
- BOSU work - balance exercises with 15lb ball standing on the flat side, then flipped the BOSU over and stood on the soft side for some weighted swings and some very deep squats with the ball - about 30 squats total.
- Finished off with leg kicks, circles, and king dancer pose on the BOSU.

I think there are a lot of things people do 'just going through the motions' exercise, work, even relationships. These people then wonder why they don't get the results others more committed or physcotic achieve.
Many of my colleagues are occasional trainers and plodding through partnerships. Somehow I am the weirdo.

The rowing on Friday was just a little too much I guess (disappointed in that!) and my back was a tad tweaky all weekend. Saturday I split firewood and that was a good workout to fully move everything. Swinging the splitter, swinging the axe, picking up the wood and finally stacking it - all good movement.

Sunday morning I had squatted down on my heels to pick something up and turned rather suddenly - small twinge... grrrr! I was able to hold off a major spasm by being careful and with regular gentle movement (did massive amounts of laundry so bending, reaching, standing, folding). Kind of a rough night and I'm still feeling tweaky today.

This is why I must focus to get back that bombproof core. I've been working on it, it just takes time to build up.

Did 20 minutes of EFX, my favorite exercise when my back is grumpy. It moves everything gently and I can shift my movements around to move hips to low back to upper back. Followed up with some gentle BOSU movements, squats, and stretching.

Back is still a smidge on the tweaked side, but getting better. I've been careful all week which is a nuisance. Also everyone around me seems to be getting a cold. Am dodging the germs as best I can! Our annual conference is next week and being sick for that is such a drag. I've done it countless times and much prefer the non-Nyquil conferences.

Tuesday I gave myself the treat of a short, intense hill workout. It was really good to be outside. With a 'subtropical' weather system (that was the weatherman's phrase), it was pretty warm in the morning, so I headed to the hill sprint hill, risked the mud and ankle deep snow, and did a couple of quick jaunts up the hill. Little sprints. Mostly it was just great to be outside as I am not a gym rat at heart.

Slept in Wednesday as there was something in the back of my throat that said 'Don't push it!' Grrr.

Allowed myself to go back to sleep again this morning, figuring being well rested is an effective way to head off potential viral invaders. There is just that hint of something in the back of my throat. I've added Echinacea, C and Zinc to the supplements pile morning and nigh and a batch for mid-day.

I still felt the strong urge to workout - can only skip 1 day at a time or I really, really miss it. My back is doing better, still a tad wimpy, but well enough to train carefully, and it can only be babied for so long. Like the rest of me, it needs to work and move.
- Step-ups, 8x50, 12x60, 12x60
- Cross body pulls in lunge 15x50x2
- Hamstring cable machine 12x25x2
- Hip flexor cable machine 12x30x2
- Lat pulls 10x50 (dropped back on weight to ensure focus was on lats)
- Landmine twisters 8x45x2
- Single leg deadlifts with 15lb KB 2 sets of 15/leg
- Pullups - not full on deadhang - I have a ways to go, but managed 4 decent with small push off the floor. 2 slooow count of 8 negatives as well.
- Hanging knee raises

Back