I'm still Sure!

137.8 Blue skies and sunshine this morning, although still super humid. We decided against doing Saddle Mt this morning, may not get to that this week at all, or maybe tomorrow. We'll see.

Yard workout today was fun and tiring. Am making progress on pull-ups and rebuilding the callous on my palms - not necessarily a good thing, but it happens when one plays on monkey bars as much as I do.

Pull-ups 3, 2, 2, 2
Monkey bar laps 2, singles 2
Inverted rows on rings 7, 6, 6
Landmine twisters 2 sets of 8 per side, then 8 continuous side to side
Straightarm side plank with 5 lb weight twisting - 2 sets of 8/side
KB play - swings, halos, shoulder press, rows
Ring mount holds 3 sets of 8-15 seconds each. Starting to try little dips, but I am so far from these counting as actual dips...
Heavy ball rebounder throws
Jump rope - speed work, alternating feet, crossovers, backwards, and double unders. Best I managed this morning was 5 continuous, mostly kept getting sets of 3 or 4.

137.6 Somehow as I was making breakfast I forgot that I had agreed to a longish run this morning... hashbrowns and 2 scrambled eggs was too much! I did a couple of things to delay our start, and actually, Tom was of the same mindset for other reasons, but eventually, we had to start or I was going to be too late to work. We agreed to take it slow as we have plans for a longer run Saturday morning, and we did. Our time was a couple minutes slower than our best time on this particular route this summer.

It was a lovely morning, a little humid from the big rain a couple of days ago, but the dirt paths were in great condition as a result of the rain, not muddy, but with a tiny bit of spring or softness. A few puddles to jump over, nothing major. Tummy was a tad grumpy so I put my brain to work thinking about things I am grateful for:
1. Tom - my training partner, my friend, my lover, the guy who is always helping me and pushing me to be better/healthier
2. The rain we just had and how beautifully green our forest is at the moment
3. The little bit of breeze that helped keep the heat/humidity from being oppressive
4. That the ranchers pulled the cows out early this year
5. My Garmin, it is one of my favorite gizmos ever
6. The fact that we can just step outside our home and go for a run in the woods

Anyway, this all helped a lot on the way out to the turn around point... by the time we turned back, my tummy really didn't want that breakfast so it was a bit harder to stay focused on happy thoughts so I reminded myself how it feels to grit it out... and focused on my breathing patterns instead.

4.64 miles, relatively flat terrain on this run: 185 feet of elevation gain, avg HR of 163 and max of 175. Yep, getting a little more used to working in the upper end of my range and knowing that while it doesn't feel great, there is nothing wrong with it.

Tomorrow we will boost the distance up to a full 10k as one of our common routes measures out to about 6.2 miles.

Sunday the current plan is that Tom is rock climbing with a friend and they are slated to go to an area that does not have any good hiking nearby, at least nothing long enough that I want to do it. Instead, I'm currently planning on hiking on Kendrick Peak. One of my favorite hikes is an enchainment of 3 different routes on the mountain. Effectively I will climb up the south side, go down the north side, cross part way around between the 2 trails and climb up the west side, then finish by going back down the trail I started on. It will be somewhere near 20 miles and should be over 4000 feet of elevation gain. It will be beautiful, and I always love a big solo day hike.

The run on Saturday was fairly brutal, we were slow to start and it was too warm, and my legs were tired, and on with the excuses - anyway, it was hard and my time was slow and that left me feeling a little discouraged about my possible race time. Guess I will see when the time comes whether I can kick myself into high gear. Hope so!

Sunday's hike was wonderful. Still dead legs, so I was slow on the first big climb, but I just gave myself permission for that. Next leg of the hike is downhill, so easy, and I really enjoyed the beautiful desolation and the wonder of seeing a catastrophic burn come back to life. Terrific wildflowers further along. Then then second, greater climb and with it some rain and lightning that was far too close for comfort. I skipped the last 20 feet of climbing to the large metal tower given the buzz and just started jogging back down and away from that hunk of metal. Round trip was a little over 6 hours, about 17 miles and over 4800 feet of climbing.

Aside from the roller, I rested Monday and Tuesday. Went for a good run/hike this morning with Tom. Mostly ran except where it was really steep and rocky uphill, ran all the way home. 4.7 miles, 500 feet of elevation.

Just finished the insane amount of paperwork to hire 3 new network guys, and said goodbye to one of my favorite employees ever as he is moving out of state. Now to buy furniture and send invoices to everyone before we leave for the Land of Dessert a week from Sunday.

Wow, didn't realize I had been away for so long. Hectic summer.

Still doing lots of hiking and a fair bit of running. Spent the first week of September in the Land of Dessert which was fun. Got in 2 outstanding hikes, did the race, and generally ate serious quantities of ice cream while avoiding most other treats that mess me far more than ice cream does.

Race did not go as planned, time was slow and I finished 4th in my age group. Oh well. It's not as if I was ever fast and then got a lot slower. I've always been slow and still am, but I had hoped for my time to be a couple of minutes faster.

Next up is the annual Grand Canyon double crossing - 50 miles, 11,000 feet of elevation gain, big lunch on the north rim. So between now and then will be doing morning runs/hikes with Tom and longer weekend hikes.

Have been having some trouble with the damaged right hand, very achy, and the thumb still doesn't bend. Not sure what's up with the achiness, but I'm going to try an anti-imflammatory food protocol for a while to see where that gets me. Haven't been doing too much strength training anyway but planning to get back to it after the double and would like my hand to cooperate.

Hectic summer but a good one by the look of it.
If we didn't think of ourselves as slow there would be no improvement. I get people commenting on me looking fast when running but in my mind I am slow compared to the skinny distance runner I was so always want better.
Are they able to give you any assistance with getting thumb mobility back. Awkward one that because the muscles are in the forearm so you have a lot of connective tissue and joints to consider. Maybe Jrahien could be a good port of call, he is good on the remedial stuff and smart enough to say no idea when he hasn't got one.

138.6 Started off as a lovely morning, but has devolved into a nasty gray sky. Another Pacific hurricane is moving over land and into AZ and there is a lot of talk of flooding in the deserts again. My network guys had to cancel a planned trip to one of our remote sites due to the damage on I-15 from the last hurricane. This is AZ, what's with the hurricanes anyway? Scary what we've done to the climate, and I wish I had more water storage capacity.

Anyway, did a little bit of a strength workout this morning and played some more smashball. Tom was moving slowly so before he joined me I got a lot of lunges done as well as some KB work, a few pull-ups (felt really weak dang it!), T2B, rebounder throws, and inverted rows. Once the smash ball started that was the end of anything else. We started playing farther apart which didn't go all that well, and in general, my aim was off today. Must have been subtly angling the paddle. Oh well, still fun.

Tony, I haven't done any PT regarding the thumb. Doc gave me some bending exercises and I do them, but the nerve is damaged and gets into these nasty feedback cycles that are painful and annoying, so I wrap it up for a good portion of the day to stop the sensation. I am likely hindering the healing process, and lately, I have been trying to leave it unwrapped for more of the time. It isn't really clear to anyone (me or health care providers) what is preventing the bend - scar tissue, tendon or nerve function, or bone inflammation... It's functional, but not like it was. I can't make a fist and even a fairly mild bump is cringe worthy. And there is the whole age thing - I'm over 50 and I heal more slowly now.

You're not over 50 yet, not until your birthday.
Fortunately keeping fitter accelerates healing so you will still outdo most your age.
I'm sure you'll be back to it in time.

Nope, I'll be 51 next week. My baby (step) brother turned 50 last week and he was the last of us to turn the corner.

138.2 Heavy rain over night and clouds sitting on top of the trees this morning so I was mentally set to go to the gym for a little bit of EFX and a lot of rolling/stretching as the lunges yesterday are being felt through all the muscles involved - what is that, posterior chain? Anyway, Tom looks out and says he would like to do 9151M again 'as it doesn't get too muddy'... Well, given a choice for doing something outside and with him versus the gym, I'm going to run with my guy and damn the grumpy muscles. So it was sticky (95% humidity) and I should not have worn a long sleeve shirt, but I glanced at the thermometer and thought it was cool enough. Ugh! Heat training, I guess. At the turnaround point I took the shirt off and was far happier on the return run (a huge advantage of living in the middle of the forest - no one is around to notice my attire). 4.65 miles, 490 feet of elevation. September should be another really good numbers month in terms of miles and elevation.

95%, ugh! Didn't need the shirt but needed an aqualung. Today will be 80% or above here no doubt based on the mist currently out there, but still easier than you're getting.
Good stuff.

Catch-up post

Last week was hectic doing employee evaluations and my annual self-evaluation. Have all but 2 completed, one will be finished today for sure, maybe both.

On Thursday the rain let up and we played smashball in the morning sunshine. Really fun, very sweaty because the humidity was still quite high from the hurricane remnants.

Friday I was out all day to attend a meeting in Phoenix, so up at 4:30 to eat and get myself dressed, then left home by 5:15, drive drive drive, sit in a meeting, then brief shopping expedition where I found a couple of fall wardrobe items, stop at Trader Joes, then drive, drive, drive. Home about 9:00 pm. Exercise? None. Food? was pretty good until TJ's where I bought some chocolate chip cookies and some olive oil popcorn and ate both on the drive back up the hill.

Saturday morning we walked Charlie all the way around the loop (he has been a lazy slug lately and getting him around the loop takes infinite patience!), then decided to see if we could break our speed-walking record for the Shoe Hill Loop clockwise. Actually, the initial goal was just to get our fastest known time for the middle mile that goes up a long hill, but we started off fast down the canyon, then did well on that middle mile, so kept our speed up and finished the 3.3 mile loop in under 39 minutes, our best time only walking ever. Spent the rest of the day puttering inside and out - made pulled pork, took a nap, cleaned this and that, did a big pile of dishes.

Sunday we considered a hike up on the Peaks, but decided to do something from home to save the drive time and to get more done at home. Walked Charlie, then set off at a good pace, but not trying to break any records. 7 miles and 850 feet climbed.

Back at home, we had a massive breakfast, including pancakes (really needs to be the end of the wheat as I can tell it is starting to mess with my head). Signs of autumn are everywhere although it hasn't been too cold yet. Leaves on the mountain are changing and the bushes and wildflowers are all going to seed. I decided I needed to spend another afternoon on the Russian thistle eradication project as any that are left are going to seed and will just spread themselves for next year. Three buckets of lopped off heads later, I feel I made a big difference!

More smashball this morning with Tom. Tomorrow we will do a day hike in the Grand Canyon for my birthday. It's a short, intense route, taking the S Kaibab trail to the river, then we will hike up the 'miner's' route, a rough, little used track that was the way in which the big cables for the suspension bridges were brought into the inner canyon. It will work out to be around 15 miles I think and close to 5000 feet of elevation gain. Tom has invited a couple of guys to join us, not sure if either will, and it doesn't matter either way - fun to have some new folks along to chat with, or I'd be perfectly content if it is just the 2 of us.

Well, better get back to work and get those pesky evaluations finished up. I think everything else can wait until Wednesday.

I had a wonderful birthday hike on Tuesday with Tom. The Miner's Route is a little used trail (at the Grand Canyon, the trails are classified by degree of use, routes are about 2 steps above a game trail.) that was originally used to haul in the cables for the silver suspension bridge over the Colorado River. It was blasted in at terminal steepness for man and mules. Frankly, I think it would be deadly to mules and I hope never to go down the trail, but going up it is a great challenge.

We were up at 4:00 am, ate a quick breakfast and started driving to the canyon by 5:15. We parked on the road because private vehicles can't park at the South Kaibab trailhead. This section of road adds another mile to the day, so not a big deal. We were hiking by about 7:30 so the sun was up, but not high, and the shadows were still long. We could tell the day was going to be warm though and that worried us a little as neither of us are great in the heat... there is a reason we live at high elevation!

My favorite fall flower is the purple aster and they were out in force along the trail, but were about the only color left, and the leaves haven't changed yet on the South rim. Being a weekday, the number of hikers was far reduced from what a weekend would have been, but we passed people at a steady rate. We reached Cedar Ridge at 1.4 miles/900 feet down in good time. It is the first of just 2 bathroom stops on the S Kaibab trail so many people take a good break there. We just moved on through. A bit lower, we could see some large birds circling and I hoped they might be giant California Condors, but instead were just buzzards and turkey vultures - big, but nothing compared to a Condor.

The air was getting quite warm as we moved lower into the Canyon. The trail is very dusty and a number of people we passed had kerchiefs over their faces which was probably a good idea. Below the Tonto Plateau we had to wait for a mule train to pass, so had a good long drink and a quick snack, then cruised on down to the river. We walked steadily and comfortably to cover the 6.5 miles in about 2 hrs 15 minutes (dropping 4800 feet in elevation). We briefly considered crossing the river, but as we didn't need any extra water, decided just to stay on the River trail on the south side of the Colorado. We had a few moments of consternation when we realized we were not exactly sure where the Miner's trail took off from our trail... it had been several years since we last did this hike. We set off west, went past the black suspension bridge and quickly got to the rock we both remembered as being the take-off point. Happily, our memories were correct!

We had a nice shady spot on a smooth rock, so took a little break to eat our HB eggs, a gel, and a boiled potato. Had another big drink and then started climbing. This trail is the perfect place to let my inner mountain goat (sheep?) run free. Super steep, a little loose, some cliff-y moments - it just feels like a grand adventure in a truly amazing place. My legs felt strong and powerful and I wanted to climb forever. This is what my body was built for. Tom, on the other hand, is one of those naturally slender people who is always trying to get bigger legs. He is a much better runner than I am, but not as good at climbing up the steep stuff, so I was careful not to leave him behind, after all, the whole point of the day was to play together. And of course, when I go too fast and lose the trail, he is the one who gets us back on track.

The Miner's Rt goes between the river and the Tonto trail by the steepest way possible. It climbs over 1400 feet in about .75 of a mile over beautiful pink and black Zoraster granite and Vishnu schist at the river which gives way to shales higher up. Once we got back to the Tonto plateau, we took that much larger trail over to the S Kaibab trail and climbed the rest of the way out of the canyon. Tom's heart rate is usually about 10 points lower than mine when we are hiking, but because of the heat (90's) he was clearly suffering more and his HR was higher than mine all the way up from the river. We got stuck behind a pack mule train on the switchbacks and they stopped often to give the animals a break, but the trail is so narrow and steep there that is isn't safe to try and pass the stopped animals. We found a shady spot and took a little break as there was nothing else to do and no point fussing about it. Higher up the trail we were able to pass the train in a wider spot and then easily stayed ahead for the rest of the hike.

We topped out around 1:00 pm, and happily refilled a bottle (we had been out for the last mile or so) with fresh cold water, then made our way back to the car. So, 14 miles round trip, 4860 feet climbed, and under 6 hours without rushing.

Next we went to camper services for a well deserved and much needed shower before going out for victory pizza followed by an ice cream bar. It was a really enjoyable day. Back at home we had enough time to take Charlie out for a walk as we had left him cooped up in the house all day in case we were late to return, and then took a little nap.

Next day (Wednesday) I felt really good - a little bit of stiffness after sitting for too long (I was in a hideously long meeting), but that was it. No foot problems at all. So, I'm feeling quite optimistic about doing 50 miles in the canyon the weekend after next. No, more than optimistic, I'm excited! We didn't get to do the double crossing last October because of the US Government shut-down and I really missed it.

Friday catch-up
No exercise on Wednesday after the hike, just endless meetings.
SHL walking only Thursday morning, 3.3 miles
Good run/hike this morning on 9151M and set our best time yet, knocking 9 seconds off our last FKT. 4.65 miles and 490 feet of elevation gain.

Weekend wasn't all I would have hoped for. Tom had a muscle spasm in his back and was darn grumpy as a result. We had planned to go on a sustainable building tour Saturday and still did, but it was a mistake. Did get in a decent gym workout. EFX at fairly high resistance and focused on a lot of climbing as that is the next big thing in my life. 30 minutes, then did BOSU lunges (still feeling the pain of those and it is Tuesday!) and a lot of core work.

Sunday had planned to get firewood, but there was no way Tom could hold a chainsaw or carry logs so we nixed that plan and stayed home.

Had campus errands on Monday so despite no 'formal' exercise, I got in about 3.5 miles of walking and then did hideous amounts of laundry and without ice cream! (Should I fess up that I had had 2 chocolate cupcakes earlier in the day and did need or want ice cream?)

Tom was doing much better this morning and we walked around Shoe Hill together. Didn't go really fast, but it was so nice to have my regular, not grumpy guy back.

Starting to write lists for the Grand Canyon Rim2Rim2Rim this weekend. Thinking of various food items to keep a body going for about 20 hours and 50 miles. I'm really looking forward to the hike, it has been too long since I challenged myself with something hard. And the hike last week was a huge confidence booster as I felt so good climbing. A friend has decided to join us. It will be his first double crossing, but he has done a lot of hiking and running this summer and I'm sure he will do well as long as he paces himself. On shorter hikes he tends to go out too fast and then gets tired. All we can do is make suggestions, he will make his own decisions.

Headed to Phoenix tomorrow evening, single day conference on Thursday. We had our first frost last night, so I'll enjoy a warmer morning run down there. It's always a bit of shock to my system when the weather first gets cold.

137.8 No workout today as I overslept then had to spend some extra time on food prep as I like to take some food with me on overnights, as what I bring is so much better than anything I might buy. Guess I will call it 'tapering' for the big event on Saturday. If not too warm in Phoenix when I get there, I will try and take a walk this evening. Even if it is too warm, I should go, I could use some more heat tolerance training, it is going to be quite warm down in the Canyon on Saturday.

It is tarantula season at home - this time of year the males leave their holes to walk about looking for females to mate with. Yesterday we saw one on our SHL walk, and as I was driving out on the dirt road to the highway, I saw more than 10. I drive really slowly so as to miss them, but others don't. They are such amazing creatures, I hate for them to lose their lives trying to cross a dirt road while looking for love.

Just ran my totals for September, it was my third 100+ mile month in a row at 23,346 feet of elevation and 100.1 miles. The month got off to a really strong start while on vacation, but slowed down a bit in the middle as we were playing smashball instead of hiking/running, and we didn't end up doing as many local hikes in September as we typically would have. October will start off with a bang at 50 miles and 11,000 feet on Saturday, but I'm doubtful the rest of the month will rack up a lot.

Success! The hike was excellent.

Went to bed Friday around 8 pm, but (rare for me) couldn't get to sleep. Excitement? Nerves? Loud people in the group campsite? All that, and I was too darn warm. Oh well, what's a little sleep deprivation before a long hike? We were both awake when the alarm went off at 1:15, I had probably slept about 2 hours. Got dressed and sucked down a large Frappuccino with a spoonful of instant coffee. I am far too accustomed to morning coffees to skip it and not get a whopper headache. Drank another bottle in the car driving to the trailhead. Also ate part of a bagel and an HB egg.

Set off hiking at 2:20 am on the Bright Angel Trail. The trail switchbacks into the Canyon and we could see the lights of other hiking parties here and there ahead of us. A couple runs past us in the dark and Ahsan comments that they really aren't going much faster than we are yet are surely doing a lot more damage on the descent. Yep - and we see them later going up the steep North Kaibab trail and the girl is clearly hurting.

At 4.5 miles we reach Indian Garden and I take a much needed bathroom break. My body is darn reliable about certain things even if it is the middle of the night - once I'm up and moving things happen. Tom and Ahsan fill a water bottle and we head on down to the 'Devil's corkscrew' part of the trail. In daylight, it's beautiful, for this very early morning, we see stars and a couple of headlamps.

Mile 9 and we cross the bridge across the Colorado River. It is still fairly dark but the roar of the water is loud and we can see the ripples and eddies in the almost twilight. We pause at Phantom Ranch to fill water bottles as the next 8 mile stretch is our longest without a water stop. I eat some more of my bagel and make sure my pack side pockets have a mix of sweet and salty food options accessible.

Into the 'Box', this section of the North Kaibab trail is beautiful. We are passed by some runners, both heading the same direction we are, and others going north/south/north. Shortly after entering the Box we put our lights away, the sky has lightened and we can see our way ahead. Exiting the Box, we cross the marsh (so glad the park service built a bridge a few years ago, it used to be a horrible swamp), and then can see the top of the Canyon miles and miles ahead.

We decide not to stop at Cottonwood and go the extra 1.3 miles to the Pumphouse. It is mobbed with hikers. This weekend and the next are the 2 most popular weekends for double crossings as well as single crossings. I finish my bagel, reload my pack side pockets with gels for the big uphill climb and suck one down. With a steep climb, I take the lead so we make better time. I have to be careful not to leave the guys or go too fast, but if I'm up front, they can't dawdle.

We take a short break at the Supai tunnel water stop, then head up the last 1.7 miles to the trail head. We've gone just a little way when Ahsan starts dropping back, then calls to us that he will catch up later. It totally took us by surprise and we didn't think about what to do when we topped out - should we go on over to the Lodge without him? Do we need to wait? Will he be more or less likely to turn around if we don't wait. Ugh! At the top, we see some runners we have crossed paths with a few times and ask them to tell Ahsan we've gone to the Lodge. They agree and we set off, but then we hear someone call Tom's name and we see he has topped out. We wait and all walk the 1.5 miles to the lodge. Whew, 25 miles and our little group is still intact.

Pizza and root beer hit the spot beautifully while we bask in the warmth and sunshine of the Grand Lodge. Huge picture windows look out over the Canyon. We relax, sort out our packs, and decide about possible foot repairs. I don't have any blisters or even hot spots, but I want fresh socks and if I can find some, want to buy more salty snacks. I have more sweet with me than I want, and I want salty. Sadly, no plain potato chips nor Fritos in the deli and I don't like Doritos enough to buy any. Oh well, pop another electrolyte and have confidence that I have enough food even if it isn't exactly what I want to eat.

Turns out when I stepped outside to change my socks (didn't want to dump dirt on the floor of the lodge), Ahsan told Tom he wanted to 'hang out' for a few hours. What? Tom talked him out of the idea for safety reasons (and we did not want to be responsible for abandoning a newbie!). We got water, fixed feet, and set off for the South Rim, 25 miles away.

Three mules trains later - they may be fairly docile, but when they are pounding up the trail, big, sweaty, and their hooves are very close to where we are cowering in the corner of a switchback, they don't seem totally non-threatening - we make our way back to Supai tunnel. Tom takes a bathroom break and gets locked in by a misbehaving deadbolt. I have to help by pushing on the door from the outside while he wiggles the bolt on the inside. I definitely heard a bit of panic in his voice when he called out for help. We wet kerchiefs to cool ourselves, filled up bottles, and set off again. Downhill is easier, right? Yes and no, it really takes a toll on the legs and starts to work the nasties on my feet.

As we get closer to the Pumphouse again, the shadows are getting longer. It is mid-afternoon and we are seeing many hikers we passed earlier in the day as we climbed up the north and they were heading down. Now our positions have reversed and I can see some of these folks have taken on more than they planned for. There will be mini-epics on the trail this evening. I hope for the best for them, but there is little to be done. If they can keep eating and drinking and keep moving, they will make it.

At Cottonwood we take a longish break. It is very warm so we wet our clothing, drink a lot, take electrolytes, and push on back toward Phantom Ranch. Each time we cross water, I re-wet my neck cloth. My tummy is good so I'm able to eat and drink which is the key to everything. My feet are hurting. I was pretty certain I would end up with ball of the feet blisters and sure enough, they are happening. I console myself that it will hurt less once we start climbing.

We get to Phantom Ranch at dusk. Less than 10 miles to go! Tom and Ahsan work on their feet, I look at mine, but there isn't any fluid to drain and blister pads don't stick well to my feet. I clean the dirt off and call it good. Eat something, wish for the 10th time that I had more Fritos or had brought a 3rd ziplock of boiled fingerling potatoes. We set off for the river, then start back up the Bright Angel trail.

By the time we are climbing, it is full on dark again. There is a nice moon, but within the walls of the Canyon, we aren't able to make use of it for seeing our way on the trail and each have a light in hand. We make good time to Indian Gardens. More water, more electrolyte, another Gu. We can see the trail above us, many sets of lights are making their way up and out of the Canyon. Tom says, "Unless someone up there has a meltdown, we won't catch them." I'm thinking he is wrong, but don't say anything. I don't wish meltdowns upon anyone, but I know we are stronger at climbing this trail than most. Sure enough, before long, we start passing people. I always ask if they are OK, have food and water, and they say yes, just tired. Most have taken on more than they expected, no matter what hike they did. So easy going down, so hard to go back up. We pass more and more folks. One guy asks if we have spare batteries, none of us do, so he tries to keep up with us, but only lasts a couple of switchbacks. Others are coming up the trail with strong lights who are walking a slower pace, he will get out with them.

Finally at the 1.5 mile rest house, Tom takes the lead (I was relegated to the back so I didn't leave anyone) and tells Ahsan he is 'putting the hammer down'. Yippee, I think, let's get out of this place! We finish strong, and oddly enough, when we take off, Ahsan picks up his pace too. He finishes only 5 minutes behind us. 20 hours, including longer stops than we typically take, is totally respectable for this hike. I'm well satisfied.

Back to the campground, washed off some of the dirt, put on warm clothes, snuggled into my sleeping bag and was surely asleep within 40 minutes of leaving the trail. Whopper blisters on the balls of each foot, but other than that, I'm good. A little stiff, definitely sleep deprived, and my body chemistry is a little out of whack. Slept a lot on Sunday, napped on Monday, Tuesday back at work and mostly back to normal aside from hobbling from the stupid blisters. Am I working out? No. Maybe in a day or two.

Need to tweak my Garmin connect settings before I upload. Had some satellite dropouts and if I don't fix the settings I'll end up with something 30,000 feet of elevation gain. Battery died at 45 miles, so didn't get anything after IG on the way up. Totals should be something like 50.5 miles, 11,000 feet of climbing, and right at 20 hours total time. Likely 17.5 - 18 hours moving time.

View attachment 6242View attachment 6243View attachment 6244

Attachments

• 2014GCDC_NKaibab_up.jpg
    2014GCDC_NKaibab_up.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 2014GCDC_blisters.jpg
    2014GCDC_blisters.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 2014GCDC_Food.jpg
    2014GCDC_Food.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Brilliant stuff. Looks like a spectacular trail. Never really done hiking for pace like that, definitely not as long in one day, undoubtedly done some that was quick in my time but not really focussing on times.
I remember tracing the progress made after a long day with a few others a couple of decades ago and finding that after around 10 hours of almost continuous walking and scrambling we'd managed to end up just over 3 miles from our starting point. I don't know exactly how far we'd travelled but the straight line route would have meant a day or 2 worth of mountaineering with kit we didn't have with us so ironically the progress was good. Quite humbling sometimes to see how the forces of geology and nature can make your efforts look quite pathetic on a map.

Thanks, Tony.

Woke with the blues this morning, actually they crept up on my yesterday. Not that surprising, seems like this has happened other years too. Deep fatigue, electrolytes a little off, 3 days of grey skies, and no exercise since Saturday - all combine to leave me a little in the dumps.

I did enough 'heavy lifting' in handling 3 propane tanks Wednesday along with the big water jugs last night and again this morning that I knew a body weight session was pointless. What I needed was some high heart rate cardio as that is the best thing for my brain, but my feet still hurt. Dug around in my closet and found my bicycling cleats then headed to the gym for 30 minutes on the spin bike.

Legs felt wimpy and throughout the workout I kept turning the resistance knob lower and lower, but I made it through and am glad I made the effort. Now if this dumb hurricane will take itself further east so my sunshine can come back, I think I'll get back to a better state of mind fairly soon.

I fly on Saturday to see my parents, sister, and niece. I'm both excited for and am dreading the visit. That is family, right? Mostly I will be with my parents and that part is good. I don't like my sister, but I've been dodging her for 50 years and I'm pretty good at it by now. I don't really know my niece as an adult, but I have high hopes for her...

And I'm back. Visit was good. Even got in a little bit of exercise. Had a really nice day Monday walking 18 holes of golf with my dad. We started mid-day and after letting a couple of parties play through, no one was pushing us so we could smack balls into the lake or into the rough or even occasionally have a semi-miraculous mid-fairway shot, talk, and enjoy a beautiful course and spending several hours together. I used my sister's clubs and managed to lose a huge number of balls (sorry cable installer van, I didn't mean to hit your roof!), but she said she didn't like the pink ones anyway. Went to the YMCA on Tuesday and swam until I couldn't stand it anymore - about 30 minutes, then dried off and did a little bit of bench press, few pull-ups, and some treadmill.

Flew home Wednesday and walked around a lot in the airport as I had a couple of hours between flights.

This morning Tom wanted to 'set a new good time' for the 9151M run/hike. It isn't supposed to be a FKT attempt, but that is what it became, and after realizing pretty early on that I didn't care to try and keep up, I told him to go on ahead. It was a lovely morning and a good run. 4.6 miles. Feet are feeling good. I did SHL with Tom last Saturday and they were tender by the time I finished, but the tenderness is gone now.

Looks as if your visit was good. Families can be 'interesting' at times but looks like you enjoyed yours.
Happily, time spent with sister and niece was limited. Had plenty of time to visit with parents both separately and together, and best of all they seem relatively healthy and definitely happy.

Tom asked me to get out of the house early today as he needed to prep for the Orienteering class he is teaching all weekend. I had planned to go to Buffalo Park and do the exercise course, but the national forest service is doing a prescribed burn in the area and the park was blanketed in smoke. Headed to the gym instead, borrowed the TRX straps and did a workout.

Not surprising, but still disappointing to realize I lost core strength this summer. Worse, I really just lost some 'umph' this summer. I am not as good at pushing myself. Not sure I can blame the injury, antibiotic fest, and after-effects, but I'm going to, as it gives me hope I can overcome it all and get back to being better/stronger/more motivated.

Lots of options for the weekend since Tom will be teaching. Deciding about a couple of different hikes, or possibly getting out on my mountain bike, and certainly some trampoline. Oh, and massive housecleaning. Was looking around this morning and realized it is past time for a deep clean. Not exciting, but necessary.

Back