I want to be fit and strong

Hello people

I am looking for some help as a newb to fitness training. I would like to present my fitness regime that I came up with yesterday and get some thoughts on it.

My goals are to be as fit and strong as possible without having to spend hours a day exercising and working out (I am willing to spend 30min to 1h a day). I do not want to 'get big', and I want to be perfectly BALANCED and be able to regain good posture (a week core and working at a desk has really taken a toll on my posture). This is not to improve my looks and get big muscles , I just want to be as strong and balanced as I can be and find my natural build again. I am slightly overweight but nothing major and unless I take my shirt of you wouldn't know I am carrying a couple of extra kgs.

I have been reading a lot lately and it seems that strength all starts with the core and then out from there. Again, I am looking to be perfectly BALANCED so I want to know it I am working some muscles too much and missing some.

Regime

Cats and dogs (warmup) > plank > side plank > bridge > lying leg lifts > lying side leg lifts > squats (half with wide stance for glutes and hamstring, half with narrow for quads) > calf lifts > pushups

Is the order important?

What does everyone think? I feel the only muscle group I am missing is forearms but I am looking to get a pushup bar which will also help with the lats. Also, will this give me cardio? And finally, should I do a little bit of all the exercises every day or break it up and do more of each exercise and split this into two or even three regimes that I alternate.

Thanks in advance guys

Hello people

I am looking for some help as a newb to fitness training. I would like to present my fitness regime that I came up with yesterday and get some thoughts on it.

My goals are to be as fit and strong as possible without having to spend hours a day exercising and working out (I am willing to spend 30min to 1h a day). I do not want to 'get big', and I want to be perfectly BALANCED and be able to regain good posture (a week core and working at a desk has really taken a toll on my posture). This is not to improve my looks and get big muscles , I just want to be as strong and balanced as I can be and find my natural build again. I am slightly overweight but nothing major and unless I take my shirt of you wouldn't know I am carrying a couple of extra kgs.

I have been reading a lot lately and it seems that strength all starts with the core and then out from there. Again, I am looking to be perfectly BALANCED so I want to know it I am working some muscles too much and missing some.

Regime

Cats and dogs (warmup) > plank > side plank > bridge > lying leg lifts > lying side leg lifts > squats (half with wide stance for glutes and hamstring, half with narrow for quads) > calf lifts > pushups

Is the order important?

What does everyone think? I feel the only muscle group I am missing is forearms but I am looking to get a pushup bar which will also help with the lats. Also, will this give me cardio? And finally, should I do a little bit of all the exercises every day or break it up and do more of each exercise and split this into two or even three regimes that I alternate.

Thanks in advance guys

Hey TomJam,

Good for you on the fitness training, what I can tell you that works for me is compound exercises. The more muscle groups engaged in an exercise the more effect it will be in regards to strength gains.

So I'm guess you want more lean muscle? I like to do squats / box jumps. Burpees are very good.
Deadlifts can strength your back and help your posture (I'm a programmer so I know what you mean working on the desk!).

Pull up variations will target your delts, back, forearms and biceps so consider those too.

Personally, as a warmup I like to do light dynamic movements (jumping jacks, jump ropes), and I end off my workouts with stretches (cat, dog, plank, bridge etc ...), experiment and see what works for you.

Hope that helps!

I have a few video workouts that I do, check them out whenever you have a change, hopefully they will inspire.

Blessings,

J

I've just started exercising to get back into shape for long distance riding and picking up the GS Adventure when it falls over. Right now, I can only pick it back up about three times in a row when it is fully loaded, panniers and all. And since I'm only 5'6, it is a beast to me.

So I started riding RPM bikes, with a coach to get the legs going, and am currently beginning to use the weight machines. Bikes twice a week, machines three times a week.

Don't know if it will help, but it surely cannot hurt.

I think an you need an hour to do it.Well when i was starting to be fit i use to go in gym and take different kind of step to build muscle.In Finland many people are used to hired just to make sure that they are doing proper way of being fit and i think that is a pretty good choice instead on just doing exercising and going to gym.

If you are a beginner, going to the gym and hiring a PT is best. PT knows exactly what to do and how to achieve your goal given their expertise on the matter. Then you can slowly do the training yourself.

Oh yea, TRX, Insanity, P90X, 30 Day Shred... They're all great workouts that have stood the test of time. You can't see me, but I'm rolling my eyes.

If you want true balanced strength, you need to start with the most basic of compound lifts that involve your entire body. Planking isn't going to help make you stronger. I'm an old school guy who refuses to buy into these gimmick workouts that can't even stay around for a year. At the end of the day, in my opinion, all you need is a barbell and some weights. Strength and body building was founded on picking up heavy stuff. Body builders in the beginning didn't have these gimmicks that are around now. They had weights and real food, i.e. meat and veggies, and you know what? They looked 100x better than we do now with less effort. They had the basics and wern't worried about what whey to buy or what amino acid supps to get. They had beef, potatoes, veggies and weights. A much better time if you ask me. Sorry, I'm ranting. A good, all around strength routine can be as simple as this...

Workout A
3×5 Squat
3×5 Bench Press
1×5 Deadlift

Workout B
3×5 Squat
3×5 Overhead Press
5×3 Power Clean

This can be done on a four day split(A, Rest, B, Rest, Repeat) or even on a Monday and Thursday if you want a longer recovery time, but how your body looks and reacts to anything you do is going to come down to rest and diet.

Justin is feeling ill today, I think that would normally read 5 x 5 deadlift.
I am kidding, that's a simple balanced workout. Reading around these threads you will see the 5 x 5 deadlift is a standing joke, even if it is a good workout.

I'm a bit sore from dead lifting yesterday, so I only put 1x5 in that one haha

Yesterday was my first barefoot dead lift session as well, and it was great. My max went up 5lbs, and probably could have gone up more. I'm feeling it in different areas today than I usually do. No doubt due to going shoe-less. I'm excited to go up another 5 next week.

Cardio Like every work needs dedication and practice, Weight loss needs dedication and pain as well. If you're desperately trying to fit squeeze in workouts and avoid your favorite high-calorie treats, it can seem like there's nothing pain-free.

If you aim at loosing weight, then you have to put in some hard work. It might seem difficult in the beginning but slowly you will get used to it. With time, you will also start seeing the results of your hard work.

Exercise make you fit and strong check out the link below it will definitely help you to make your self fit and strong.

Back