I have had a Gastric Balloon - looking for support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning! I just wanted to see how everyone is doing? I am getting ready to determine the date of my fitting and I've been reading these posts all night! Any words of wisdom? Of those of you currently in the process, how are you feeling? I've asked on another post but, is it worth it to do it? I am ready to do the exercise and diet, I just would really like a little bit of extra help.

Thank you for your info :)

M

Hi I had my balloon fitted 4 weeks ago and it was no where near as bad as I thought it would be. THEN 2 days later sickenss vomiting the lot. I went 3 weeks eating hardly anything and I couldnt even sip water but I could suck on ice lollies. I have now turned the corner as I havent been sick for 7 days. I am still on soft food even though I should now be on small portions of solid food. Bread is a no no and so is milk. At first I thought what have I done but now I am feeling better and get even better each day. I have lost 18 pounds so far but thats obly because I have been constanyly sick for 3 weeks. I am now losing around 1-2 pounds a week. I am hungry at meal times but the balloon does control the amount you eat. I am not even going to try and pick at anything I shouldnt otherwise I know I will go off the rails. All in all so far I am glad I have had it done. I hope this helps and good luck with your balloon. I am soooooooooooooooooooooo looking forward to being slim.

If you are willing to diet and exercise, why do you need the balloon?
San,
I've lost 100 pounds on my own over the last 3.5 years. I have been the same weight now for over a year and can't seem to get the final 60 pounds off. I believe this might be the way to help me get to where I want to be. I think you've probably read the posts and this is not a magical way to lose the weight, its something that helps, so I wanted to have those who have had the balloon, let me know if they thought it was worth it.

Hi I had my balloon fitted 4 weeks ago and it was no where near as bad as I thought it would be. THEN 2 days later sickenss vomiting the lot. I went 3 weeks eating hardly anything and I couldnt even sip water but I could suck on ice lollies. I have now turned the corner as I havent been sick for 7 days. I am still on soft food even though I should now be on small portions of solid food. Bread is a no no and so is milk. At first I thought what have I done but now I am feeling better and get even better each day. I have lost 18 pounds so far but thats obly because I have been constanyly sick for 3 weeks. I am now losing around 1-2 pounds a week. I am hungry at meal times but the balloon does control the amount you eat. I am not even going to try and pick at anything I shouldnt otherwise I know I will go off the rails. All in all so far I am glad I have had it done. I hope this helps and good luck with your balloon. I am soooooooooooooooooooooo looking forward to being slim.
Janeyoo, thank you so much for your response! I have read a lot and I see there is a lot that you go through at the beginning. I can take up to 2 weeks off work so, if I can be able to go about my life after those 2 weeks (work wise) and it gets better, than I think its something that I want to do. Please let me know how it goes!! I will most likely continue to post on here with my adventures with having the balloon fitted and how I feel afterwards.

Thanks again and I wish you much luck!

Hi, i had gastric balloon in september 2011, initially i lost 7 kgs because of vomiting and all that sickness but after thati start gaining back

i m so depressed now coz my appitite is more now and i m gaining weight, wots the use of spending so much money and pain, its a difficult procedure even though they say its not surgical bt still bad before and afterwards first u r so nervous because of anxiety and after the procedure u r so sick with nausea and vomiting, my procedure was done in Emetits hospital dubai, that Dr. was so careless he even

forgot to give me antibiotic after the procedure when i went for refilling the balloon because it wasnt helping me so i was so sick for 4, 5 days n i call dr again n agin once he called me back and asked me come for emergency i went n they charge me extra money.

afer that once i went to the dr but he charged me full fee for consultation. b4 they told me that after this much amount every consultation

will b free.

i m so disappointed with the balloon as well the hospital charges, i will say to all those people who r thinking to have gastric ballooning

that dont even think if it, its just rubbish, waste of money with 0% result. plz dont waste ur time n money.

i wont recomend it for anybody.

best wishes,

Neena.Dubai.

I Just got my 1000$ down payment back from a Canadian Lap band clinic. I watched U tube videos until the wee hours for 3 nights after I put the money down. My BMI is actually 29.0, but they were willing to fudge the numbers to allow me to fit approval. Anyway ,I got scared because i have a blood clotting issue & I heard of slippages and some people who were successful for up to 4 years, said they have terrible stinky gas. In fact the GAS comes up in many videos as well as 8 week hair loss. I had to go to the Doctor and he had to Fax them a form, saying I should not get this done for medical reasons etc. I am thinking of the Gastric balloon, as I feel like I just need a jump start on the weigfht loss. I know in Canada its done in the Toronto area, and cost 7800$ thats to put it in & take it out (you can have it done within 2 weeks of being approaved, getting approaved takes an hour) Remember, if you go to Mexico, there package needs to say they will take it out. Its has to come out in 6 Months. There is a you tube video, when it was on "The Doctors" that gives some info on it. Apparently there is a blue Dye in the saline balloon (same as a breast implant) and if it ruptures you'll pee and #2 Blue, so you'll know something is wrong, but they have never had one rupture before 6 months(so they say) I dont know why it is so expensive since it takes 10-30minutes for the procedure, and you dont get put to sleep, I know 1 of the biggest cost is the anesthetist. I guess they must be getting it, or they wouldnt charge that amount. The Lap band in Toronto in 16,000$, and little wait, for those of you interested.

Thats a little of my recently learned Lapband/Balloon talk.

1 More thing, keep looking and asking questions before jumping into it . I would love love love to loose 35 pounds, but if I cant leave the house due to stinky gas and bloating and weakness, how can I get on a tread mill at the Gym or join a dance class.. My Doctor did mention, the stomach is very sensitive, if you put something foriegn in it or around it, to squeeze it, its going to get upset when our stomachs upset, it usually does get gassy.. For Canadians there is free Diet counselling clinics in some areas (ask your Doctor).

I'm going to be a little blunt here, but if you're not motivated enough to lose 35 pounds on your own, I can pretty much guarantee that surgery is not going to help you. These surgeries are supposed to be looked at as ONE tool to help you lose weight. Just because you have the surgery does not mean that you will lose weight. You still have to follow a nutrition plan (in fact, an extremely strict one in the case of any gastric surgery) and an exercise plan in order to lose weight. If it's "too hard" to change your diet before a surgery, do you think that following an extreme plan after a surgery will go well? Something to think about...

Ideally, a surgery that is aimed to help someone lose weight will have at least a 3 to 6 month supervised program BEFORE the surgery in which each person is guided in making healthy lifestyle changes and preparing them for the reality of what they'll possibly deal with after the surgery. The program should also consist of at least 6 to 12 months of post surgery support (surgical follow up, psychological support, nutritional support, exercise support, and even group support with others who have had the surgery). If it's more of an "in-and-out" surgery, don't even bother... they just want your money and you'll be left to deal with any consequences on your own.

You're right that the anaesthetist is a large chunk of the cost, but don't forget about the surgeon, nurses, and operating room costs. Also, the pre and post surgery support should be included in the cost. If it's "cheap," like under $15,000, there is probably not much support around the surgery. Make sure to do your homework!

I am wondering who has had the Orbera ballon and who has had duo shape ballon. I had read there were problems with the one ballon moved and ended up in the colon and required surgery. The duo is offered a few hours away from me and the single is only an hour away. So would like some input into deciding which one to try. Thanks

I will be having the Obera in a few weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back