How much can I do at home with just a set of dumbbells?

jacobfrey121

Hello,
I am completely new to any kind of strength training, and pretty new to exercise in general to be honest!
I have a sports membership with my university which gives me access to the gym but I have found it be very crowded at any time of the day.
I am wondering how much I could do at home with just a set of dumbbells; so I have a few questions:
  • I can't lift much weight at all so would I be particularly limited by just dumbbells at this early stage?
  • Would I need any other equipment, like a bench?
  • Finally; are dumbbells like this adjustable in any way? From the pictures they look like they are but then I search for "adjustable dumbbells" and they're all advertised as such, with much higher prices!
This is just a temporary thing; I am hoping to just use this to introduce me to weight lifting; then I could start going to the gym.
Thanks!
EDIT: Went ahead and bought a 20kg set of cast iron dumbbells; hopefully these will do me for a while and after that I can hopefully buy some additional weights to add. Thanks for all the help!
Summary of answers from the people in the thread:
Would I be limited by dumbbells? No, not really. There are good programs for dumbbell only training such as this and this from the wiki.
Would I need any other equipment? A bench is preferable but not necessary. Exercise balls are a good alternative.
Are these dumbbells adjustable? Yes.

Back