High Protein Vegetarian Soup?

samanthaleigh

Hi everyone.

I have a kilo of sweet potatoes and I would like to use at least half of them before they go weird.

I was hoping people could post their favorite soup recipes involving potatoes (anything with chicken stock I can easily just substitute for vegetable stock).

I'm looking for more tomato-ey based soups.

I used to make the recipe below quite a bit and it had a good consistency. Lst time I tried to experiment and make my own soup it turned out too watery (I had added WAY too much liquid). I'd like to incorporate canned tomatoes into this but am wondering would I substitute some of the water for the tomatoes so that there is a similar amount of liquid? Or would that impact on the cooking time of the lentils? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Here is the recipe I was refferring too:

Red lentil and sweet potato soup
Serves 4
2 tsp oil
4 spring onions, finely chopped
½ clove garlic, chopped
½ tsp cumin
1 cup dry red lentils
700g sweet potato, chopped into small cubes
2 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped into small cubes
2 tsp salt-reduced vegetable stock powder
4 cups water
1 cup skim milk
1. Heat the oil in a pan and sauté onions until transparent. Add garlic, cumin and lentils to the pan and stir over heat for one minute.
2. Add sweet potato, potatoes, vegetable stock and Vitasoy Oatmilk. Bring to the boil and then simmer gently for 30 minutes.
3. Process with a hand blender for a smoother consistency, or leave chunky if desired.
4. Garnish with extra spring onions to serve.

Does anyone have any thoughts on adapting this to incorporate canned tomatoes and/or tomato paste? Or does anyone have a recipe for a non-spicy soup that is similar nutritionally?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.