Help me stop binge eating my favorite snacks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

orangelilly

For the past year I have been struggling with binge eating.

I have gained some weight and I have been obsessing over losing it plus I haven`t been into the best mood do to other things going on. I am constantly thinking of what I am eating, what should I eat etc.

My main meals are mostly healthy – vegetables, lean protein, not fried, etc. But I started eating way too many sweets and snacks. I used to never have cravings, eat small and often meals and eat whatever I wanted in decent amounts but not because of a strong craving. I didn`t eat chocolate daily or feel the need to like I do lately.

Now I always feel the urge to snack on something when I work, am bored, stressed or watch movies. Even if I just ate a meal and I am not hungry, I still crave something.

My go to snacks are certain chocolates, ice cream , nuts/ peanut butter, biscuits ( like belivta/ oreo/ tuc), tortilla chips. I can`t anymore eat only a bit from them. I have to finish the whole bar/ pack/ eat 3 ice creams instead of one….
I have tried separating them in smaller packs but failed. For examples I tried (twice) to split a 200g pack of nuts into 5 smaller packs and hid them in different cupboards in the kitchen to eat them in different days. Same day though, I went 4 extra times in the kitchen and ate all of them….

I tried keeping a food diary, count calories….Didn`t help much. I tried being more active and started workout challenges but failed those too. Lack of motivation, time, energy…I managed to not eat sweets for 1 month but when I tasted chocolate again I ate even more than before. Whenever I say I will stop eating certain snack, I eat even more of it in preparation to give it up….

I don`t know what else to do…I feel so unmotivated and powerless with these cravings and so annoyed at myself for being weak. I never used to be like this. I could still be considered slim but this makes things even harder cause I just think : “One extra ice cream won`t be too bad, after all I still look slim enough”. But I just want to stop as this is so unhealthy and it feels bad. So any advice and encouragement will be much appreciated! I really need it. Thank you!

Hello orangelilly,
Sounds like you're doing great with your main meals. Congratulations with that. It's a good first step. I hear your frustration with cravings. Isn't it interesting that we crave the most what we can't have? Seems to be human nature with that. You're not alone. So I guess my first piece of advice would be to be more gentle with yourself. You're perfect just as you are.
Now, on to your cravings. I'm going to level with you. If there was a simple cure to eliminate cravings and I knew it, I would be a very rich man.
You've developed a new overeating habit. Sometimes, new habits seem to appear almost out of thin air. But there are reasons for all of them. They all offer some kind of a reward. So my next piece of advice would be for you to ask yourself what that reward is (other than the yummy food!).
Chris

The single best weapon I use to fight cravings is "juicing." Specifically, vegetable juices. I get home from work around 6 pm, and I get out my Juiceman and run things like celery, cucumber, carrots and beets thru it. Other times, actually most times now, I juice just watermelon, rind and all. I sip on this (more than a quart) all evening, and I have absolutely zero hunger or cravings. Some juices are an acquired taste, so add apple, or some apple juice, but try this if you want to eliminate cravings.

Yes, I agree with carlinannarbor. Vegetable juices especially are a great tool against cravings. I can't get anyone in my family to eat Kale but put into a green smoothie with some slices of apple and a few grapes and even my 5 year old loves it. Focus on ones that you actually like the taste of so that you are not feeling deprived. Find some great recipes online. Big thing to watch out for is sugar content. You want that as low as possible while still being enjoyable to your particular taste buds.

I hear you! I'm a sugar addict. I'm so fed up with myself. I need sugar fixes all the time. It's making me put on weight. I need to stop it.

I wish there was a sugar anonymous kind of thing.

I eat healthy, but then I destroy my good work with sugar.

Hi orangelilly: I want to watch my desire to over eat, binge or eating beyond what I would really need to live.i would like to think I can feel comfortable with my thoughts about eating.

Maybe having chocolate at one hour of the day will help you, like having 2 squares of chocolate at night. Or, let's say, low kcal ice cream (2 spoons, for instance) or something like this.
I never was that much of a "sugar person", but I love salty food like some bacon. For the last few days I have a tiny tiny half a slice of bacon before dinner, after workout. its sooooo goood i make it last forever in my mouth hahaha, it helps.

You can't think "think is the last time im eating this" otherwise that will hunt you down like crazy.

Hello Orangelilly,

Eliminate sugar from your diet completely, and I mean COMPLETELY. Sugar is calorically dense, provides NO NUTRITIONAL value whatsoever, and is ADDICTIVE. Research has shown that sugar is as addictive as Heroine. This is fact, not FICTION.

Between 70% -80% of store-bought cereals, sauces, salad dressings, crackers, biscuits and fruit juices contain sugar because of this fact. My advice is to read product labels before purchasing goods, and if sugar is in the top six ingredients of any product, don't consume it. But BEWARE, manufacturers are very clever and they have come up with approximately 56 alternative names for sugar, e.g. ~ Fructose, Corn syrup, Beet sugar and High fructose corn syrup. It's all SUGAR AND ADDICTIVE!!!

Another good reason to stop consuming sugar is that it blocks Leptin. Leptin is a hormone that signals the hypothalamus in the brain that you are either satiated or starving.

We have to start understanding our own physiology to get a grip on weight loss and obesity. Our bodies are intricate machines and have to be treated naturally and holistically.

I hope you find this information valuable and helpful. Good luck!!!

Way to be Rosmary! I too have gone Zero Sugar. When you make a commitment to ZERO sugar, it opens up an entire new world of food. Fruits, vegetables, meat, eggs...you know...real food.

Now, when I go to the grocery store...aisle after aisle after aisle of things that all contain sugar. So, I just don't even need to go down those aisles.
And what I do eat actually tastes better. Another overlooked fact is that most of the things that contain sugar also have a high sodium content.

Hey @orangelilly

I love chocolate, and I eat every day, without having any problems. But it wasn't always like that.

The best example I can give is one of my friends. He used to eat 1/2 jar of Nutella on bread, every evening. He did like this every day for almost a year. Until one day when I took him to my mentor.

My mentor suggested that he eat whatever he craves at breakfast, with one condition.
No more of what he craved, until next breakfast.

In this way, he made his brain happy every day while trained him to wait until next day to get what he craves for.

In the beginning, it's not that easy, but with time it will become second nature.

It can help even losing weight if binge eating is the only problem. When you eat sweets in the morning(or whatever you crave for) your body has all day at disposal to burn those calories, because you're active in the daytime, compared with eating sweets in the evening, and in a few hours go to bed.

Give it a try, and let me know how it's working.

I use this method for years and works perfectly.
And eating sweets at breakfast has many other benefits.

Why fight against it when you can make it work for you?

Hey @orangelilly

I love chocolate, and I eat every day, without having any problems. But it wasn't always like that.

The best example I can give is one of my friends. He used to eat 1/2 jar of Nutella on bread, every evening. He did like this every day for almost a year. Until one day when I took him to my mentor.

My mentor suggested that he eat whatever he craves at breakfast, with one condition.
No more of what he craved, until next breakfast.

In this way, he made his brain happy every day while trained him to wait until next day to get what he craves for.

In the beginning, it's not that easy, but with time it will become second nature.

It can help even losing weight if binge eating is the only problem. When you eat sweets in the morning(or whatever you crave for) your body has all day at disposal to burn those calories, because you're active in the daytime, compared with eating sweets in the evening, and in a few hours go to bed.

Give it a try, and let me know how it's working.

I use this method for years and works perfectly.
And eating sweets at breakfast has many other benefits.

Why fight against it when you can make it work for you?

Hey, thank you. I have some problems with it. So i think i should try out it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back