Cohen's Lifestyle Goodlucktummy starring in Killing off the Kilos

Prefix for Cohen's Lifestyle

goodlucktummy

I've been lurking around this forum for quite some time now, getting inspiration and recipe ideas. I guess it's about time I joined everyone on their weight loss journey! Yesterday was my 1-month "anniversary" on the Cohen diet and boy, is this diet amazing.

I just got my blood test results and I'm within normal range for all of them -- even for my sugar! My jaw dropped and my eyes welled up when I saw the results. Last month, I was devastated when my endocrinologist diagnosed me with Type 2 diabetes (though I'm still largely in denial about this. Not because I want to go on with unhealthy eating but because if I believe it, it might stay forever and I don't want it to.). I'm only 23 and in most of the diabetes articles I've read or forums I've visited, those inflicted with this disease are usually in their 40s! From a whopping 312 mg/dl blood sugar reading, it is now down to 73.87 mg/dl. Now, I see light at the end of the dark road. There is hope, after all and I have to thank Cohen for giving me that.

I wanted to start Cohen's last August but I was initially "rejected" because of my blood sugar level. My consultant suggested that I go on a transition diet to lower the glucose by cutting out carbs and deep-fried food. She also told me to see a doctor because I had to get medicated. I did as I was told and was accepted into the program less than a month after. I haven't looked back since. I actually benefited from going on a transition diet because at least, when I formally started Cohen, most of the cravings and hunger pangs had already been quelled and quashed!

I guess the biggest challenges for me so far have been planning out my meals (I dread 'measuring days' - I weigh my food for the week once a week just to lessen the everyday hassle) and learning how to pack my meals when I go out with friends and family. Pulling out a Tupperware of food while everyone gets to order off the menu was a little hard at first but the benefits of this diet outweigh all the hardships.

Since this is an introductory post, let me share my statistics:

Height: 5'1
Starting Weight: 122 kg
Weight after Transition Diet (3 wks)/Weight Upon Start of Cohen: 117.2 kg
Current Weight: 108.7 kg

Starting Glucose: 312 mg/dl
Glucose Upon Start of Cohen: 136 mg/dl
Current Glucose: 73.87 mg/dl

I'm hoping to get some support from the members here so that I stick to the program and never deviate! I've gone on many diet plans before and always end up quitting after 3 months. I've 2 more months and day to prove to myself that I am committed to this 110%! The holiday season is nearing and I'm starting to get a little nervous! :svengo:

My goodness I'm very proud of you. I also have type 2 diabetes and used to weigh 320 lbs but am down to 195-ish. My glucose is well controlled that I don't even check it anymore.

I've never heard of the cohen diet, what is it?

Hi Jacklinger! Thanks for the support and kudos to you as well for your weight loss!

Was just wondering, do you use insulin injections too or just oral meds?

Re: The Cohen Diet: It's an eating plan developed by Dr. Rami Cohen (hence the name) made specifically for an individual based on their biochemistry (glucose, sodium, etc). To get a program, you have to take an initial blood test and from there, they'll give you your meal options. It relies heavily on weighing your food (for portion control) as well as sticking to specific kinds of food (meats, fruits and vegetables -- but not all types are allowed, like I can't have carrots and broccoli). The food weights vary according to the combination of protein and vegetables (like in my case, one of my meal 3 options is 100g of fish with 120g of veggies). They also vary across people - my meal plan will probably not work for you or anyone else for that matter.

Overall, it's a pretty strict program but it has enough room for you to get creative with the recipes. It's amazing though because you drop kilos off really fast. Plus, it doesn't require physical exercise!

I take metformin.

Is snickers bars and donuts allowed on that cohen diet? I eat those alot. Does it cost money? I can't afford anything.

Hey GLT,

Welcome to the forum :)

Wow you are doing fantastic, especially since you have gotten your glucose down by so much that is briliant, you can only start feeling better.

You seem to have your head in the right space and that is what counts, if you keep at it, before you know it you will be close to your goal. Cohen's isn't easy, and it' has it's ups and downs, but if our heads are in the right place we can do anything!!

Take a peek in my diary if you get a chance. The ppl on the forum are great, not to many Cohenites around still, Cate would be the most regular and then most of us just pop in and out, but if it's support you looking for you have come to the right place :)

Good luck with the road ahead :)

@Jacklinger
Absolutely no donuts or snickers or anything with sugar in the Cohen diet :( but you'll get over it eventually! As for the price, it depends where you're located. I think the US clinic has an online program that goes for about $200? But I'm not sure. Try searching for 1st personal diet.

@Angel_sa
Hey! Thanks for dropping a line! It was actually your blog/thread that inspired me to start my own! Will comment soon! Cohenites, unite! :hurray:

Hi GLT & a big welcome to the forum and to Cohen's. My jaw dropped too after reading how your glucose levels have come down. That is wonderful news. Cohen's is one of the best things that ever happened to me. My tastes have changed & 3 years down the track I don't crave (or eat) chocolate bars or rich fatty food. It feels great to get your eating under control. Well done, you, for making the decision to change your life & to take control of your health, rather than going down the medicine path. On Cohen's food is your medicine & already you have proved that is the case.
Angela is right & you do sound determined. You will gain more confidence in your ability to stick with it as you go. Cohen's works. You will get to your goal weight if you follow it 100%. That's a fact.
It's really exciting to hear what is happening with you. You are doing this yourself GLT. No-one else is doing it for you. Be proud of yourself :) Cheers, Cate

@Cate Thank you so much for the motivation and the kind words. I'm now a big believer in Cohen's. It's truly amazing and with enough determination, I know I will eventually reach my goal weight. :)

---
Had a pretty busy day today, with school and drawing classes. Didn't get to pack my lunch so I had to leave my friends early to eat at home. I should remember to bring my lunchbox with me wherever I go, in case I decide to hang with my friends!

I managed to squeeze in an appointment with my endocrinologist today. She was pretty happy with my progress. "You've lost a lot of weight!", she said with her eyes wide. Then she saw my blood sugar level and said, "Wow. I was actually targeting 80mg/dl. In fact, 73.87mg/dl may be a little too low!" (First it was too high, now it's too low! Poor body, she's getting confused!). Best news of the day or actually the entire process is that I will most likely be able to get off insulin completely. I remember my 2nd or 3rd meeting with the doctor and she couldn't give me a definite yes or no when I asked if I would be on insulin forever. "We'll see, we have to monitor" was all she said. That scared me. Really scared me. So hearing her say that we'll probably get me off insulin was music to my ears (I could hear the orchestra playing). That, to me, is a tremendous achievement, even bigger than losing weight (don't get me wrong, I'm happy I'm shaving off kilos). Truth be told, I really just want to be healthy and I don't want to put my life at risk anymore, especially now that I know that it doesn't have to be like this - that there's a way out.

I'm also starting to consider exercising. Just light, weight training stuff. I'm terrified at thought of having loose, saggy skin so I want to start toning and tightening. My consultant has given me the green light but cautioned me that if I feel too tired, then I should stop. I've been scouting around for a good gym that's not too pricey since I won't do intense workouts. I tried Curves last week but it's too far from my house. Have any of the Cohenites in the forum tried exercising during the program? If yes, what kind of exercise?

Had a yummy fish fillet dinner. I crushed my cracker allowance, mixed it with dried basil, salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper and breaded sole fillets with the mixture. I then fried them in a little olive oil. Served it with lively, lemon-y tomato and onion medley and a side of greens. Super yummy! :) I never liked fish but this was pretty good. :party:

Oh GLT, You must be so relieved re the insulin. I am so happy for you! :D Being healthy is my main concern as well. Without our health life is so much more difficult.
Re: the exercise- I understand your eagerness to get moving & I would recommend walking. It's free and it's a lot less strain on your body and your budget. I love it. You can slowly build it up and it will help tone your body and make you feel good. Leave your arms free to swing naturally. If you find it makes you hungry or dizzy ease off. Don't push yourself.
After you get to your goal weight you can go for it (join a gym, take up swimming, running or whatever) as you will be eating much more. You have the rest of your life ahead of you so take baby steps for now and ease yourself into your new lifestyle :)
xo Cate

Havent been updating lately cos ive been suffering from hyperacidity and diarrbea. I cant function, i feel quite weak. Finishing mycohen portions is really hRd

Get yourself to a doctor & find out what's wrong. Sounds like you have a bug of some sort. When you find out what is wrong you can let your consultant know if you need to take yourself off the program for a little while. Take care xo Cate

Thanks Cate. Less hyperacidity now but still bloated and practically living in the bathroom. Going to a doctor today to see what's up. I stuck to the diet despite this (it'd take my 1 to 1.5 hours to finish my meals)... and thankfully, I've dropped a couple of kilos. I don't know... this isn't normal is it?

No, it's not at all normal. Hopefully you will find out what is causing this. It's natural to assume that it will be the 'diet' causing it, but I think you will find it is something else, possibly just a virus or bug. It does not sound at all pleasant & I hope you are feeling much better very soon. I will not be around much in the next couple of weeks as I will be away from home. Please email your consultant if you have any problems or questions and also advise her if you need to go off the program until you are better again. Take care & get well, xo Cate

Hi Cate!

I am new to these Boards so please forgive me if I ask a question that has already been answered. I am still "finding my way around".

I started Cohen's several years ago and had great success in just two short months... then I went to a family gathering and it was all over. I am doing it again but this time with no help from the counselors since I don't have the money to actually join again.

My question for today is... are we allowed to use "flavored" cooking sprays? I would really appreciate any input you may have! ~IndigoGirl

I'm back! Alive and kicking! I took a 3-day (supposedly 2!) break from Cohen. That coupled with medication did my body right and I'm ready to re-start. I didn't go all out during my little cheat break though I did eat a bit of rice, had a little alcohol (it was a friend's birthday celebration) and McDonalds. Other than that, I just had fish for the most part. I'm not going to beat myself up for it cos it's already done and there's nothing I can do. I haven't stepped onto the scale so I don't know if I lost or gained but right now, I don't really want to know. I just want to focus on the diet.

Surprisingly, the cheats I had didn't feel as glorious as I thought it would. I mean the fries and the nuggets were good but nothing new. I've eaten them a million times anyway. Rice was nice but I think I can live without it.

Had Cohen pizza toast this morning! yum yum!

Hi Indigogirl! You're here too! :) :party:

Hi Goodluck!

Yes, I am here... and finding it a little more difficult to navigate!!! Since I am doing Cohen's without support.... I just don't have the money to re-join... I am trying to figure out if we are allowed to use Butter~flavored cooking spray. Do you know??? So, far I have lost 20lbs since August (and that is with a few cheats). But I am doing much better and SO excited to be in the 30's (230's that is!). How are you doing? ~I

hello hello! doing good! started september and lost around the same!

It's weird though... i'm GAINING weight now. i don't get it. last weekend, i had to go off the diet for 2 days cos I was sick. I weighed myself after, i gained 1kg so fine, understandable. I've been back on the diet for 4 days now and I gained 2 more kg?! I don't understand! What's happening!!!

Frustrated

Is there something wrong with my scale?!
I am not losing weight! I had a few cheats last week but that was because my doctor advised me to.

I know I'm not supposed to weigh myself everyday but I get so tempted, especially cos I don't feel like I'm losing weight. I feel bloated. And a little constipated. Is this normal?

I'm getting a little frustrated. Why am I plateauing? I guess I should be grateful that I'm not gaining anymore (though pre-cheat, I went down to 105kg and now I'm up to 107.5kg!). I hope the weight suddenly comes off cos I really want to lose weight/be healthy.

I'm planning to run a marathon by late this year or early next!

just had a really yummy dinner. Spinach Garlic Chicken Roll Ups with Roasted Tomato Tapenade -- delish!

Back