Good Reads

What are you interested in primarily? I'm not saying I'll have an aritcle for it... but possibly.

Well I'm definitely in the begining stages of building a foundation of knowledge in this area. I have my set goals of what I want to accomplish personally etc but one thing I learned a while back after recovering from a knee surgery is I need to know the why and the how. I can't accept something at face value because it's so easy to disregard. The more you know about a process the harder it is to just dismiss it. I think my physical therapist hated me a bit. I wasn't asking why every two seconds because I didn't want to do certain things but I genuinely wanted to know the logic behind it. I suppose with this topic it's a bit difficult because there's such an influx of information, a lot of it conflicting, that it seems like you spend more time cross referencing something than actually learning. That might sound a bit crazy lol but that's just me.

No, not crazy.

1) Though some people disregard the fact, the fitness field is very immense and tough.

2) You're right, there's a lot of conflicting info out there.

Both make it not so easy to 'pick up' relative to most other subjects. Reading a book isn't enough.

I've always been a fan of breaking things down into the basic fundamentals. These are hard, but once understood, you can use this knowledge to filter the rest of the information.

Ah well that's what I'm trying to work on. Any books you would rec. that are basic enough while still being informative? ie I won't have to read the same page 3 times

See that's just it.

I hate to make it a comparison between health professionals and doctors... but you can't expect to go out and become a doctor or have the same level of expertise without reading the messy stuff.

The same can be said about being educated to the extent of a health professional.

I've built my base by reading text book after text book.

There are certainly easier ones than others, but the fact remains that the information isn't easily digestible for most.

And to be honest, I'm not sure there are entry level books worth reading. I haven't come across any, personally. I used to be into bodybuilding so I'd read dietary and workout books written by bodybuilders. From there I learned the basics like the importance of protein or the difference between a 20 reps sets and 5 rep sets, etc, etc.

But I learned a lot of bullshit too. At least I learned that is was bullshit once I got my hands dirty.

Guess what I'm trying to say is not until you get your hands dirty can you decipher BS from quality.

Does that make sense?

I bought my first college level text on exercise physiology when I was halfway through college. If I didn't understand something, I researched it more, outside of that book, and I didn't move on until I felt comfortable.

But it's my passion so it was worthwhile.

To be honest, I think your average person would learn more by subscribing to blogs of those in the industry who are worth listening to and reading their articles on the web.

Yea, there is more bullshit on the web than on the bookshelves... but that's simply b/c the barrier to entry is much smaller.

A good intro book, depending on what you know so far, is Tom Venuto's ebook titled, "Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle."

Some of it is outdated and he is a bodybuilder but he knows his stuff and packaged a ton of info into one book. Not enough to be an expert but enough to get a broad exposure.

It makes sense. Luckily for me I've had practice at cross referencing haha but I'll definitely take a look at the ebook and if I can't find answers to questions after doing my own research (I'm warning you in advance) I might bother ya.

I highly doubt it. I've been answering questions since I got here. Most of them the same damn ones I was answering when I first became active here, lol. It's my passion to discuss this stuff.

Hm too bad I couldn't just hire you lol It's refreshing to see someone passionate about something though and from the looks of it you seem quite helpful around here.

Haha... one of about two.

To be honest, I'm real behind on my reading right now. I'll post soon though!

Here's a nice article from Kelly which I forgot about until now. I recommend all his products and articles if you're interested in sport... primarily power and jumping.

That was pretty interesting....got a little carried away with the link clicking...I'll definitely have to read it over a few more times the picture comparison was a bit distracting lol but it proved a point

good stuff there...

I think...

I must be reading challenged becuasse I never understand that stuff fully first time around...

The wall side exercise was interesting... One of the things Trixie the Trainer had me doing as part of my "fitness assessment" was a Wall Angel- which was like a wall slide intead of the arms going up youo were making snow angels against the wall.. with your arms.. it seemed easy to me - and it's suprising that people would find it challenging -but i guess if you're really muscled up - then that kind of mobility owuld be challenging

Exercises on hip flexibility/mobility would be beneficial

It's not a matter of being muscled up as much as it is about screwing up your mechanics via 'dysfunctional anatomy' we'll call it from things like poor programming or inactivity.

[No message]

Back