Good Reads

well as I thinkit was Groucho that said - OK i won't drink any more....

but...

Iwon't drink any less either...

hey you could be the poster boy for alcoholism - 5 drinks a day and look like steve :)

Hahahaha.....

Steve the drunk.

That would be good for business.

Functional Training by Matt Perryman

Matt has an excellent website found at . Kind of the hard-head of the fitness industry, he has a writing style that is gritty and clear to the point. My kind of guy, actually.

What does the word “functional” mean to you?

If you've had any sampling of the modern fitness industry, “functional” will probably mean doing exercises that have a high carryover to the motions and actions found in most team sports.

It could just as easily mean standing on a wobble board doing one-handed dumbbell presses, in order to improve “core stability”.

Have you ever stopped to think what “functional” really means, though?

The word itself should give you a hint. A more appropriate definition of functionality would be “the way the body's systems work in order to create motor output”, to paraphrase the late Mel Siff.

In other words, functional training is a formal way of saying “training to improve how the body works in order to perform in specific ways”.

When somebody says that something is “functional”, the response should be “functional for what?”. Functional training is not just a discrete thing you can point to. It's not a style of training, as much as people like to quantify training in this way.

Rather, what seems to be happening is that people are conflating the concepts of sport-specific and instability training with functionality. Both of those approaches certainly have utility, but they are only “functional” for a limited set of activities.

The actual degree of functionality for any given exercise is highly dependent on many aspects of the sport motions in question. Too often people take the idea of specificity to the extreme; but specificity to a movement or action does not require simulation of that action.

Different exercises will have different degrees of carryover. What matters is not necessarily trying to simulate all aspects of the sport, but rather to pick and choose the exercises and methods that can best develop any of several abilities.

As an example, squats and leg presses could be considered relatively nonfunctional for a distance runner. Yet, we know that these exercises have a clear benefit. Why?

They prepare the legs for the absorption of forces. They help to develop and maintain muscle mass. They assist in force production. The list goes on; even though a squatting motion isn't involved in running, squatting still has a degree of functionality for distance running.

Some would even argue the point of the squat being “more” functional than the leg press; but really, considering that both exercises are general development to the runner, how can this be the case?

Functionality is entirely contextual. An exercise or training method can be functional for one activity, and nonfunctional for another.

Bodybuilders and those of you only interested in looking better, you can get away with just about anything. For the purposes of muscle hypertrophy, resistance is resistance, and tension is tension.

The difference is between general and specific training methods. Ideally a training program will be some blend of general training, which develops the overall “fitness” of the athlete, and specific training, which directly improves the sport performance.

Just how this comes to pass is up to the strength coach and the programming s/he chooses to use; but that's a whole separate article.

Exercises don't have to be sport-specific in order to have value to anyone. Further, if you're a recreational lifter or a gym rat only interested in improved health and fitness, your choice of exercises aren't that critical.

Yes, you most certainly do need to take care of basic movement abilities, such as squatting, pressing, pulling, twisting/rotating, lunging, and so on. However, it's a strawman argument to say that simply using these allegedly “nonfunctional” exercises will somehow interfere in that, or that the two can't be used together in a program.

Functionality is entirely context-dependent.

375 views - someone's reading - not everything requires a comment - though i tend to like having the last word - so I comment more than i should (explains my post count :D

Well it's nice to hear thoughts. I post them not only to share some of the stuff that 'comes across my desk.' I like discussion too.

Picking a trainer from Lyle I

Here is a Q&A from Lyle McDonald's newsletter. If you don't read his newsletter, I highly recommend it. It's the best out there I've seen:

I have a question for you that I've never seen you address. If you get a chance to post about this somewhere, I'd love to see it:

How to find a reliable trainer...

Every time I read something by you explaining how to lift a weight (e.g. the great bench press posts) and how most people do it wrong...it just scares me to use any old trainer at the gym. We can't all hire you (and w/ your speed skating I guess no one can right now...) But I would think that some trainers have better certification than others...so a little guide for relative newbies like me would be much appreciated....

Lyle's Answer I

This is actually a good question and one that come up fairly often. In my experience, after being in and out of commercial gyms for nearly two decades (and working at many over that time as a trainer myself), my general experience is that most personal trainers are glorified rep counters. They can count to 8 (in-between looking around the gym or talking on their cell phone), make sure the client shows up, collect the check once per month and act primarily as salesmen more than doing anything related to training per se.

In fact, one gym I worked at in Austin, Texas had regular meetings for the trainers where their head 'expert' would come in. Was this to keep us up to date with the cutting edge of fitness science? Nope, it was to teach us how to close the deal and get people to sign up for more sessions.

Since most of what a personal trainer is going to do is handle what goes on in the weight room (you don't really need to spot a treadmill workout although many trainers will keep their clients company during cardio), I'm going to focus on that aspect of training in this article.

In my experience and in my opinion, most personal trainer certifications in the US are basically a joke. Generally requiring no more than a three-hour test (the NSCA CSCS exam is six hours) with no testing of hands-on competency in the weight room, it simply isn't that tough to get certified. While there are differences between them to be sure, the letters after someone's name would be one of the last things I'd look at in terms of determining if a trainer were any good.

At the end of the day, all of the letters in the world after someone's name don't mean jack squat. You can carry every national certification in existence and still not known a damn thing about how to train people in the weight room and you can be uncertified and be a true expert on weight training technique (e.g. my mentor).

Honestly, having been out of that aspect of the field for quite some time, I don't have much more to say about certification, I'm simply not up to date on what the individuals are doing (although a quick glace at the websites tells me that not much has changed).

Almost any trainer you'd approach will probably carry one or more of the major certifications but that guarantees, at most, very basic competency and the ability to have passed a written test at some point.

So what else can you use? A lot of people pick their trainer based on the trainer's physique. The logic seems to go that if the trainer is in shape, that they can get the client into shape. Sometimes true, all too often not.

In my experience, big male bodybuilders usually know how to train one person one way and that's themselves for bodybuilding. They'll put a beginner/general fitness client straight into hardcore advanced bodybuilding training and kill the person (I'll come back to this below).

True story: I had a client one time, older female who had had a double mastectomy. Had gotten a personal trainer at Gold's gym prior to working with me who put her through a 20 set chest workout on her first day; she couldn't lift her arms for like a week. Cuz, you know, you gotta bomb and blitz those pecs. This happens far more often than it should.

Yes, certainly, a trainer should work out and be fit. But looking solely at the trainer's physique is usually a mistake. It certainly shouldn't be the only thing that goes into a decision.

So if certifications don't tell you what you need to know and arm size doesn't, what can you use? One of the single biggest indicators that I personally pay attention to is what kind of form and technique a trainer has their client using. Is it good, horrible, a little bit sloppy or what?

In 15 years in commercial gyms, I can honestly count the number of trainers I've seen teaching proper form on anything on maybe one hand. Maybe not even that. Of course, when I see most of these guys train themselves, I see why: they don't know what good form is in the first place. Much less how to teach it to someone else.

Even if they do use semi-proper form themselves, it's clear that they either can't teach it or simply don't care to bother. The stuff I've seen clients put through by personal trainers just makes me cringe.

But that's probably the primary way that I'd generally determine if a trainer had their head up their ass or not, look at the kind of form they're teaching on key exercises. Yes, other stuff (program design, motivation) is clearly hugely important but unless someone can actually teach the exercises right, none of the rest will make much difference.

But that doesn't really help out beginners, who may or may not know proper form themselves, in terms of what to look for. Of course, there's endless information on the web about exercise technique. Most of it is shit mind you (Youtube is a never ending source of amusement in this regards, especially for powercleans), but there is some good stuff to be had. Some resources (e.g. exrx.net) are about half good and half bad. There's some rotten form on that site on some movements.

One thing I've suggested to folks before is to get a hold of the book "The Insider's Tell-All Guide to Weight Training Technique" by Stuart McRobert. It's an excellent book and examines technique for the majority of productive movements (squat, deadlift, bench press, etc).

Another excellent book in this regards is Mark Rippetoes "Starting Strength" which addresses proper technique for only 5 exercises (bench, squat, deadlift, powerclean, shoulder press) but does so in excruciating detail. I'm told the second edition describes a lot of other exercises but I haven't gotten round to buying it yet.

Lyle's Answer con't

A client looking for a trainer would be well advised to become familiar with proper form through one of those two books and then see if their potential trainer is teaching something that at least approximates it. At the very least, they probably don't have their heads completely up their asses if they know proper form. They might not be good at any other aspect of training but at least they probably won't get you hurt with bad form.

Beyond that, clearly things to look at would be if their clients are seeing results. Now, I'd note that sometimes a lack of results have nothing to do with the trainer. A lot of personal training clients are flat out lazy, they won't adjust their diet, they won't do anything the trainer asks, and nothing happens.

They figure that once they've signed their check for the month their responsibility is done. Now, we might criticize the trainer for not being able to get the client to change their habits but that isn't always the case. I had clients who simply weren't going to do anything I asked. Why didn't I just fire them? Often when starting out, you can't afford to turn anybody away, even if they are complete screwups so you end up training people who simply aren't going to do more than show up twice a week for an hour and goof off. Then, of course, they blame you for their lack of results 8 weeks later but I'm getting off topic.

But if the trainer is doing things right, at least someone should be seeing results and moving towards their goals (whatever they may be). If nobody is, odds are he's an expensive rep counter and very little else.

On that note, something to look at (and this can be hard to tell) is whether the trainer actually trains people with different goals differently. Or does everybody get the same workout (usually a bodybuilding oriented thing)? This goes into my comments above about many trainers only knowing how to train themselves; they've gotten into great shape over years of hard training and assume that their current workout (usually a high volume bodybuilding approach) will be suitable.

But what if they are working with a 35 year-old female with no previous exercise background. How about a 16 year-old male? Or a 50 year-old male with a back problem. Thinking that all three of those clients should get the same workout (which is almost always a bodybuilding body-part split) is idiotic. Yet that's a lot of what you see in commercial facilities, the trainer knows one way to train and everybody is doing the exact same thing regardless of their goals get more or less an identical workout

As a quick note on this, I would mention that beginners almost always get and need extremely similar workouts (unless there is some specific injury or conditioning issue that has to be dealt with). Yeah, when I was a trainer, everybody got the spiel about getting an individualized workout. But the reality is that beginners need basic training in a bunch of things and their workouts will look more alike than not.

Related to the above, one very serious consideration is whether the trainer has any experience with beginners in the first place. A lot of people who have been training for many years forget about what they did themselves when they started. So they take brand new clients and just put them through the wringer.

An hour of intense exercise on Day 1 and the person is too sore to move. I've heard horror stories. At one gym I lifted at in Austin, they killed a guy; put him through an intense one-hour workout without having done the proper health questionnaires and he had a heart attack.

What about during the workout, is the trainer going to explain why certain things are being done a certain way (teaching the client as they go) or just say "Do this"? My goal as a trainer was always to get my clients to be independent of me as soon as possible. I wanted them to be able to continue training (by knowing not only what to do and also why they did it) if I left, went out of town, changed jobs, they moved, etc. To me, training was as much about teaching them about proper exercise as it was training them effectively.

Related to that, will the trainer actually adjust the program if it's not working? Or does he have the right program and if it doesn't work, it's your fault? Admittedly, this is usually more of a problem with a coach and athletes than personal trainers and clients but it is a consideration.

I'm sure I could keep going, stuff I'd personally take into account when evaluating whether or not a trainer knew his stuff (it would probably entail me grilling him for 2 hours with detailed questions, as I did before I hired my speed skating coach) but a lot of it wouldn't be applicable to a client trying to find a suitable trainer. The above should get folks at least started finding a good trainer.

Good luck with your muscles.

You haven't tried.

And there are progressions to dynamic mobility from easy to hard.

You can do the easy stuff. If you can't, that means you can't walk either.

Just wanted to say thanks for the info about personal trainers. It was really helpful and makes me feel a bit more confident about my decision.

Well I don't think I can say that with 100% confidence...if I could why would I need the trainer so to speak. One thing that was mentioned that stuck out with him is I get explainations. He doesn't just say hey do this especially when we do something new there's an intro to it. He's also helping me work around old injuries which is something that wasn't happening with a couple other trainers I tried before him.

Your articles are helpful though. I've been sitting here being a nonproductive person in the office haha. Although now I'm half wishing you had posted more to read through lol so thanks again.

A trainer who

a) listens to you

b) develops an individualized routine based on what he's listened to and what your goals are

c) knows the basic sciences dealing with human fitness and mechanics

and

d) educates you

is aok in my book.

And don't wish more reading from me. I could flood ya!!! LOL.

I can swim...so flood away

Back