Free Exercise

joshd_1973

I see comments posted about not having the time or funds to join the gym. I used that as an excuse for not exercising til I started running. I used to be a member of a gym and when my daughter was born my wife needed my help and I wanted to be around in the evenings to feed, bathe and put my daughter to bed. I now have 2 daughters and still no gym membership and instead I go out and run on the street. I do between 30-50 mins at a time 3-5 times a week - it's free, no extra travel required and I can do it in and around the time the kids need to be fed or put to sleep.

Just make sure you have a good pair of comfortable running shoes.

Unless somebody has already lost a considerable amount of weight, running is a bad idea - it's very high impact, putting enormous amounts of stress on the joints. Walking might be an alternative, but even that can cause trouble for some.

I agree San, my hubby has had feet pain due to running.

He used to come home from work then run but now we have kids also, to save time he runs home from work.
Now I'm not the typical nagging wife although I've nagged at him constantly to go out and purchase a proper backpack that's made for runners.
I don't like the one he has and running that far with his gear in that bag cannot be good for him.
Note to self: nag some more tonight about it. If nothing changes by the time baby arrives, go buy him one.

If you had said walking instead of running I would have agreed with you... I must agree with the others that a lot of people with weight problems could not run... The vast majority of people can walk though and it is very effective for weight loss...

My point is not being a member of a gym is no excuse not to exercise - run, jump, walk, glide :)

That's certainly true. Nobody 'needs' a gym membership - plenty of stuff that can be done without any kind of equipment at home. Loads of exercises right here on the forum as well, a lot of them without equipment. So nope - no excuse whatsoever. :)

Back