Floater's diary

Exercising in water would be so good for you. Is the pool heavily chlorinated?
It seems to me that you have come such a long way since you started your diary in here, Floater. Do you feel the same? You really take the time to look after yourself. Your food sounds good, your exercise seems well balanced, your mental health seems much better.....You keep going from strength to strength :grouphug:

It seems to me that you have come such a long way since you started your diary in here, Floater. Do you feel the same? You really take the time to look after yourself. Your food sounds good, your exercise seems well balanced, your mental health seems much better.....You keep going from strength to strength :grouphug:
Thank you so much Cate! I do feel like I've made significant progress, yeah, unlearned bad habits and re-equipped good old ones. Slow and steady wins the race! Of course, my mental health will probably be like an old car forever, a fixer upper, but focusing on diet and exercise most definitely helps. As well as having the overarching goal of transitioning and the hopefulness that comes with it. *hugs*

Yeah the pool is chlorinated to the level other public pools are, so it's drying my hair and skin somewhat, but I'm not particularly sensitive to the stuff (unless I dive with my eyes open lol). Hydration and lotion go a long way!

I dozed off for a bit but woke up super hungry, made myself a couple of rye sandwiches and will take Nera out so I can sleep in longer tomorrow!

This community has been so lovely and welcoming, it's been a huge part of my progress, and helped me stick to making small sustainable changes. Thank you all for that <3

I would love to have some hydrotherapy but really struggle with chlorine. I'm glad you can tolerate it well. I'm also glad you feel that our community is supportive & welcoming. We all work at keeping it that way, but it seems to work well. I'm about to try walking Archie xo

Of course, my mental health will probably be like an old car forever, a fixer upper,
:D Classic cars do need a bit of extra care but they're much cooler than new car number 4726490.
This community has been so lovely and welcoming,
I'm glad you feel that way too. I was honestly freaking out a bit when the forum went down so long and I was having to contemplate life without this place.

:D Classic cars do need a bit of extra care but they're much cooler than new car number 4726490.
*revs motor delighted* :D

Just took the dog out, I think I'll try to sleep some more, I had a hard time falling asleep. I have nothing else to do today other than going to the gym, so I can afford the luxury of taking it easy.

My Google account showed me a picture from five years ago when I was in Uni and still a vegan. I looked tiny - and even back then I saw myself as fat and lumpy. But seeing the pic felt good in a way, because while I'm bigger now, I'm also more muscular and if I keep this exercise routine up, it will start showing eventually. And when I look at that picture, I see an anxious and insecure person dressed in a [HIDEOUS] dress my mom had bought for me, trying to find my place in the world by playing pretend and myopically focusing on my studies and career, treating myself as an afterthought.

@Cate I'm sorry you are sensitive to chlorine :( Give Archie a scratch for me, please?

Breakfast: leftover beans and rice formed into patties and fried in sesame oil, butternut squash, alfalfa sprouts, and creme fraiche.

In my vegan years I ate a lot of veg and bean patties, they hold together well by adding a bit of corn starch which I didn't do this time, but I will have to get back to that habit. I still have one portion of the beans and rice left, I think I'll eat it today either wrapped inside cabbage leave and baked, or if I'm feeling lazy, as patties like just now. I can't take a third day of bean and rice burritos in a row lol.

I think my midriff has gotten a little bit slimmer since I started to work out consistently. Could be that I'm just not carrying as much water weight after the water jogging yesterday, but even so it's motivating to notice little differences when I'm sitting down and moving around. I'm sure my gut pouch will be significantly reduced by spring if I can keep this good thing going.

PS: I was still hungry after finishing my meal, so I made myself a fruit salad: apple, banana, creme fraiche, maple syrup and cinnamon, and drank a protein shake. I'm now making myself a second cup of coffee, took my meds, will eat the salad, then walk the dog and go to the gym!

Last edited:
I had a banana before leaving to the gym, had a great workout despite my pants being soaking wet from the rain. Had my porridge, will now walk back in the rain.

BTW, I don't follow any sort of gym regime because I want to keep it as free of pressure and as much fun as I can; movement is the main thing, gains are a happy side product. This is all about reconnecting with my body and making it my home. This approach seems to work very well for me, I feel like a child moving and testing and developing their strength out of the pure joy of being alive.

As you @Cate pointed out, there has really been a significant shift in my mental health and overall vibe. I'm glad you said it, makes me stop and appreciate my progress even more <3

After taking a shower, I had soba noodles and peanut butter tofu from yesterday and a bowl of miso with fresh chopped cabbage, a handful of frozen peas and wakame as a starter. For proper dinner I'll have two cabbage rolls filled with lime and blackbean rice. One roleld up nicely, the other one looks like a monster, but whatever. I'll slam them in the oven in a minute, they take a while so the cabbage turns out soft and sweet. I didn't blanche the cabbage leaves because the cabbage was so small and soft, so let's hope they turn out ok!

Last edited:
The cabbage rolls turned out surprisingly good. I changed the sheets, am washing some laundry, and dyed my hair. I'm not sure I like how the neon orange fades, but this was the last of the jar, and I have never had orange/ginger hair before so it was an interesting experiment. Annoyingly, as I have some greenish blue stuck in the tips of my hair, those turn into a super odd mousy brown with green undertones after a few washes lol. From now on I can slowly work the tone back to pink and from there to purple/lavender (which is the nicest and easiest color to bleach back to blonde, as purple toner is used to color correct yellowish bleached hair anyway).

Hm, I will probably still need to eat before bed. I have three tortillas left that are starting to get a bit dry, so I could make pumpkin and cheddar quesadillas! If I feel hungry for protein, I can pan-fry some tofu as well, but most likely I'll be feeling carbs-y. Besides I've gotten plenty of protein today so it's not an issue. We'll see.

Tomorrow I'll make a big batch of bean, cabbage and tomato soup with bacon. I think I'll make it without a carb component so that I can eat it during the following days with different carbs added in (like potato on day one, pasta on day two and so on).

BTW, I don't follow any sort of gym regime because I want to keep it as free of pressure and as much fun as I can; movement is the main thing, gains are a happy side product. This is all about reconnecting with my body and making it my home. This approach seems to work very well for me, I feel like a child moving and testing and developing their strength out of the pure joy of being alive.
That makes me so happy yo read. I wish more people would approach movement that way. Also: quesadillas are delicious: enjoy.

FUCK! FUCK! Guess who washed their gym card along with the gym pants in 60 degrees? I really hope the card didn't die, because the physical card costs - not a lot, but I'm super strapped for cash until 3.11. Oh well, I sent the gym an email and I'll go check if it works during reception hours ASAP. At least it stayed in the pocket, so the magnet strip doesn't look too busted up, but I'm worried about the heat!

Oh no! Fingers crossed.
Thanks!

Quesadillas are good, at least. I filled them with yesterday's roasted butternut squash, cheddar, thinly sliced cabbage, and creme fraiche mixed with Scorpion hot sauce. Oh and smoked salt. Today has been fantastic in terms of veggies and I think it contributes to my positive mental state. I have said this before, but there's nothing more important than eating a lot of fruits and veggies especially on the days I take my ADHD meds, because the fibers and extra fluids help keep the side effects away.

Give Archie a scratch for me, please?
A few hours after I read this I gave him a scratch behind the ears & said "this is from Floater". :)
As you @Cate pointed out, there has really been a significant shift in my mental health and overall vibe. I'm glad you said it, makes me stop and appreciate my progress even more <3
I'm glad too. If we use our diaries to offload, which is what I do, we are actually showing others our true selves. I often have epiphanies while typing or get things pointed out to me or asked pointed questions, which can be revealing. I love seeing how you are changing your attitude towards yourself. We get to follow your progress
there's nothing more important than eating a lot of fruits and veggies
:iagree: whole-heartedly.

This post will contain a positive/neutral part and a triggering part that has to do with my bigger picture and life journey. As always, I'll put a content warning before the rough stuff. I have therapy on Friday, so that's why the poison floats to the surface so to speak.

Happy news first: woke up tired and with cramps, but in a good mood. I have noticed that doing deadlifts with heavy weights sometimes gives me cramps the next day - they feel a lot like menstrual cramps. Should not be an issue about form, I think that I'm just probably utilizing muscles that have been left on their own for quite some time and that's why they act up the next day. I haven't eaten yet but I have two liters of soup/stew in the oven. Recipe:

Chop a shallot and a silver onion into slices, sautee in oil with salt, add two cloves of garlic. Cut a pack of bacon into thin strips and stir in, add spices (I used my fall time favorite of nutmeg, white pepper, cinnamon, star anice and bay leaves) and 3-4 dl of roughly chopped cabbage. After cooking the cabbage down on high heat for a bit to make room in the pot, add in 200g of cherry tomatoes and a couple of spoonfuls of concentrated tomato paste and a splash of soy sauce. Next, add in two cans of well rinsed beans and 1,5 dl of dry soy mince. Stir everything in and fill the pot with hot water. Put in the oven, 200 degrees for 1-2 hours.

I plan to eat this with different carbs over the next days so there's some variety to the soup. I also like the philosophy of flexibility in this dish - it's mostly plant based protein, but the bacon gives it some extra oomph, and on the other hand the plant based proteins balance out the saturated fats and processed nature of the bacon.

Now for the triggering part. Proceed with caution.

TW/CW shitty parents, homophobia, sexual and emotional abuse, et cetera
Something clicked yesterday, and I feel angry.

I started dating in high school. The guy was a high school dropout I had a common friend with and I just kind of drifted into that relationship because I needed to get out of home and needed to be loved. It went horribly south, some of the traumas I have from that relationship will never heal, but that's just the way it is. He is filth and I'm sure he'll make his own life a living hell, if he's not dead already.

But this isn't about him, this is about my parents.

When I was 15, I fell for a girl. Hard. It was super cringey puppy love, she was just a year older than me but way less sheltered and I was an autistic, closeted trans egg (fun fact: the term "egg" is used by trans people about trans people who have not yet come to the self realization, which is referred to as "egg cracking", and I think it's cute and accurate). I filled my diaries about my feelings about her and talked to my friends online about her; and of course my parents read my diaries and emails because I had no privacy. They confronted me and told me I'll ruin my life and didn't talk to me in two weeks. They literally didn't talk to me at all. I wasn't even allowed in the same table.

Well, when I started to date that guy in high school my parents knew he was dangerous. They saw bruises and they saw how broken I was. But they could not let the opportunity to make me straight pass by, so they asked the guy to LIVE IN THEIR HOME so they could both keep me in their control and "protect" me from this sadistic predator. For the life of me I can't understand what kind of a parent would have their child go through emotional and physical torture rather than just let them be queer.

It's not an exaggeration to say that my parents wanted me dead rather than gay. It's quite something.

Autism assistance helped me by driving me to the city center to check if my gym card works - it does, yay! - , to visit an optician to get my glasses adjusted (they were leaving grooves in my temples), and to fetch a copy of "The Wisdom of the Enneagram" from the library. It's just a silly self help book, but Laura Crone has recommended it as a tool for writers when working through hard spots of character-driven stories, and I feel a bit land locked about my character's current motivations, so it doesn't hurt to try!

I'll meet a friend for a walk with Nera in 20 minutes, and the rest of the evening is going to be all about relaxation 🥰

I had a banana and a flatbread with marg before the walk, we walked 1,5 hours in the freezing rain so I'm hungry like a wolf! Ill need to buy some groceries tomorrow... Banana, eggs, marg, carrots I think. But only 5 days on a super tight budget, I can do this!

Back