Feel like posting your self-made-and-likely-inefficient split? Maybe Read this first

I can't answer that without knowing a lot more. Your goals, what the routine actually consists of, your stats.

I can't answer that without knowing a lot more. Your goals, what the routine actually consists of, your stats.

I have my journal in the journals section that should provide most of the information

well this was posted a while ago, but I have some input on the reason the thread was started.

see OP,

you just provided an enormous list with workouts that can be radically different, in fact I am sure some of them contradict each other on key points.

Immediate search results often don't yield complete routines but simply pieces of advice such as how many times per week one should train what muscle and which workouts should be done on the same/on different days, etc.

so eventually most people piece something together that goes with their goals and their schedule, and their personal preferences, and I think it's valid to post and ask if anything needs to be changed or if it should work fine.

the reason this thread was started is because a bunch of people simply came onto the board posting their 6 day split routine consisting of curl day, and bench day, alternating, and they want to know why they don't get any better. Waste of time for them and us.

I wouldn't say those workouts "contradict eachother" so much as they have different methodologies for the same goal. I mean, Waterbury wants you doing 10 heavy sets of 3 for what Cosgrove wants you doing 5x5 3x10 2x20 or some other combination for.

I put those up there so people can choose what they want to do whether it be split or FBW, high volume/low volume, highintensity/low intensity, and still know that the program they are doing has been tested and made by someone with alot of experience.

so eventually most people piece something together that goes with their goals and their schedule, and their personal preferences, and I think it's valid to post and ask if anything needs to be changed or if it should work fine

it would be great if people posted stuff based on goals, preferences, and above all KNOWLEDGE&EXPERIENCE

I asked to have the title changed to List of Programs (read before you post your own) but no mod changed it... or perhaps i forgot to ask.

Last edited:
Any programming followed with complete dedication will yield superior results to the perfect programming done with half-effort.

Generally.

I'm glad this is here. I was looking for a good way of bulking up all around (really just gaining strength). I like the Waterbury 10 x 3 method. It looks like it hits a little of everything and will help raise my 1RM and increase strength all around.

I have about 45 minutes at the gym each day. I think I can fit the lifting in with that time frame. On the off days, what is GPP work and would it still make sense to add some other weight training?

On Saturday I do a boot camp class that is about 40 - 45 minutes long - that would be on one of the days that this program reccomends doing 15 - 20 minutes of jogging/GPP work. I love the class and I don't see any reason not to keep that up - Sound about right?

Build muscle and burn fat through strength training

For anyone who wants to do the 2008 version of stronglifts 5x5 you can the pdf and spreadsheet. The 5x5 has progressed from the 70s and the stronglifts 2008 is only one of many versions.

Week 1:

Monday - Workout A
Wednesday -Workout B
Friday - Workout A

Week 2:

Monday - Workout B
Wednesday - Workout A
Friday - Workout B

Workout A
---------
Squat 5x5
Bench Press 5x5
Barbell Row 5x5
Dips 3xF

Workout B
---------
Squat 5x5
Overhead Press 5x5
Deadlift 1x5
Pull-ups/Chin-ups 3xF

Read the attached PDF and spreadsheet. This version of the 5x5 has 8 exercises Squat, Bench Press, Overhead Press, Deadlift, Barbell Rows, Pullups & chinups and Dips.

The Exercises.
StrongLifts 5×5 Beginner Program includes 8 exercises. You’ll do 4 of these every workout to hit all muscles.

Squat. Squats are key to the program. You’ll do them 3x/week. You’ll quickly experience they work your whole body, not just your legs.
Bench Press. The most popular exercise in the gym. The Bench Press works your chest & triceps muscles.
Overhead Press. Push weight overhead while standing. The Overhead Press works your shoulders, triceps, back & abs.
Deadlift. Besides working the legs, the Deadlift builds a strong back by teaching you to keep your spine rigid against a load.
Barbell Row. Pulling weight from the floor against your lower chest. The Barbell Row works your back & biceps.
Pull-ups & Chin-ups. Pull-ups are done palm facing away, Chin-ups palm facing you. Both work biceps & back muscles.
Dips. Last one, Dips work your triceps & chest muscles.

Do this program till you can Squat 1.5 times your bodyweight. After that progress to intermediate 5x5 versions.

Last edited:
Waterbury Total Body Training
Harbinger hypertrophy
Hypertrophy/Strength
"Its a full-body workout by Chad Waterbury. Beginners can do it and ignore the 'antagonist' training days, just keep it simple. Intermediate trainees can incorporate the antagonist days."

Anyone know if this one works well?

German Volume Training

GVT is pretty much old school and the splits may not appeal to everyone but the idea of 10 sets of 10 is one everyone should try at some point. I did try 10x10 chest and squats and I sang in German for a few days after that.

Overload Mechanism: Once you're able to do 10 sets of 10 with constant rest intervals, increase the weight on the bar by 4% to 5%, and repeat the process. Refrain from using forced reps, negatives, or burns. The volume of the work will take care of the hypertrophy. Expect to have some deep muscle soreness without having to resort to set prolonging techniques. In fact, after doing a quad and hams session with this method, it takes the average bodybuilder about five days to stop limping.

I love this forum because of the passion that you guys put into it.

Thanks for all the inspiration and education!

Topknife

Thought this could fit here too...

Minimalist StrongLifts 5×5: Strength Training with Minimal Equipment
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Posted: 01 Oct 2009 04:00 AM PDT
You’ve found out about Stronglifts 5×5. And after reading all the success stories you’ve decided to follow the program too. But:
 Your gym doesn’t have the necessary equipment, e.g. no Power Rack.
 You don’t have enough space for a home gym.
 You don’t have the cash yet for home gym equipment.
 You want to try the program before making an investment.
The solution: Minimalist StrongLifts 5×5. This strength training routine requires only 1 Olympic Barbell set. It will keep you busy for 2-3 months and prepare you for StrongLifts 5×5. Read on for the details.

Equipment You Need. Buy new gym equipment or go 2nd hand. Read the home gym guide for more info. Here’s what you’ll need for Minimalist StrongLifts 5×5:
 Olympic Barbell. Any bar will do, but an Olympic one is best. 45lbs/20kg weight, 7ft/2m20 length, 2″/50mm sleeves, 28mm grip, knurling, …
 220lbs/100kg Plates. Round iron plates work best. With the weight of your barbell, you’ll have 265lbs/120kg total weight.

The Minimalist StrongLifts 5×5 Program. The routine takes about 3×45mins per week. Most people train Mo/We/Fr. Alternate workout A & B each session. Read the free StrongLifts 5×5 eBook and the FAQ for detailed info.

Workout A
Squat + Steinborn Lift 5x5
Floor Press 5x5
Power Cleans 5x5
Reverse Crunch 3x12

Workout B
Squat + Steinborn Lift 5x5
Overhead Press 5x5
Deadlift 1x5
Prone Bridges 3x30sec

Exercises in Minimalist StrongLifts 5×5. Most exercises are the same as for StrongLifts 5×5. Again: read the free StrongLifts 5×5 eBook for detailed info. Differences in Minimalist StrongLifts 5×5:
 Squat. Get the barbell on your back using the Steinborn Lift. Although it isn’t practical, you can get to a body-weight Squat for 5×5 using it.
 Floor Press. Press while lying back on the floor. Knees flexed, feet flat on the floor, elbows in, chest up, shoulder-blades back & down. Video.
 Overhead Press. Clean the bar from the floor on your shoulders on each set. This actually makes the Overhead Press easier.

Results from Minimalist StrongLifts 5×5. Same as with StrongLifts 5×5: more strength, more muscle, fat loss, stronger joints & bones, increased flexibility & cardiovascular fitness, etc. Differences:
 More Core Work. The Steinborn Lift will work your abs & obliques hard. Great to get 6 pack abs, but less optimal for your Squat technique since getting the bar on your back is a pain with heavier weights.
 More Triceps Work. The Floor Press works your triceps more than the Bench Press but your chest less. You will, however, build your chest muscles nonetheless: this is a full body training program.

Limitations of Minimalist StrongLifts 5×5. Without Power Rack you’re limiting your progress. Minimalist StrongLifts 5×5 only works for 2-3 months.
 Stalling. The Steinborn Lift will limit your Squat. You’ll start stalling once you’re Squatting your body-weight for 5×5 (200lbs if you weigh 200lbs).
 Technique. The Steinborn Lift makes it hard to get the bar in proper position for Squats, which can cause problems further down.

Download Minimalist StrongLifts 5×5 Spreadsheet. This file includes tips and reminders of what you need to do to achieve your goals and tools to track your progress. Some things you’ll find:
 Exercises & work weight prefilled for 12 weeks
 Strength goals based on your body-weight & gender.
 Graphs showing progress in strength, body-weight & body fat
to download the spreadsheet (right click — save as). The file is 20kb and takes less than 1min to download. Unzip the file using 7-Zip (free) and view it with OpenOffice or Microsoft Excel.

Questions? Go to the free StrongLifts.com forum and post your questions in the official Minimalist StrongLifts 5×5 thread.

Is Danger_Dave still around? I couldn't find him on anything recent with the search function.

I wanted to follow one of the programs he listed but wanted to ask something. Maybe someone else here can help.

The program is: Waterbury ABBH here is the link:

Just wanted to know - at the end the day 23. Do you start over again from day one but lifting heavier at each exercise?

Cheers
Ben

If you are been looking for the most complete, total program that meets all of your fitness goals—your search stops here. The P90X Workout Plans is a home fitness and nutrition. system that took more than a year to develop by leading fitness experts.

Someone open a tin of SPAM!!

Yeah i've actually got a few of those programs good selections mate. Thanks for all the tips mate. You can never stop learning.

I posted this in the young athletes development section earlier this week, and it's since been stickied. Thought it'd be worth posting here, too: Young Athlete Development Program.

Cliff's on the program:

Day A: Squat 3x6-8, Press 3x6-8, Power Snatch 5x3-5.
Day B: Squat 3x6-8, Dips 3x6-8, Pull Ups/Chin Ups 3x6-8.

Train 2-3 non-consecutive days per week.

For each exercise, start out with 3x6 (or 5x3) sets across at the one working weight, after warm ups. Next time you train that movement, move up to 3x7 (or 5x4). Time after that, move up to 3x8 (or 5x5). Then increase the weight by 2.5kg/5lb and return to 3x6 or 5x3. Starting weights should be light. About 10-12RM for squats and presses, to give you an idea. Consequently, the first few weeks of the program should be easy. For dips and pull ups, just start with what you can do, even if that's only 10x1, and work you're way up. Once you can do 3x8, add 1.25kg/2.5lb onto a belt, return to 3x6, and work back up.

If you train 3x/wk, you should be able to add 2.5kg onto your squats most weeks, 2.5kg onto your presses and snatches every other week, and chins/dips will tend to be a wildcard, due to fluctuations in bodyweight.

Back