Feel like posting your self-made-and-likely-inefficient split? Maybe Read this first

Alot of people who are new like to post some BS routine that they themselves made and ask how it is. Usually, some mor experienced members like evo, mreik, karky etc. get around to telling them how it should be done.

Before you make your own routine, why not try something tried-and-true by world class trainers? I can speak personally that following the programs of renowned trainers (such as, but not limited to Alwyn Cosgrove) helped me lose 55 lbs. (from a starting weight of 205 lbs. so about 25% my bodyweight) in about a year. increase deadlift by 75 lbs. in 2 months, and squat by 50 lbs. in 2 months. This considering that I am naturally unathletic and not naturally able to gain mass or lose weight easily, means quite alot as to the quality of these programs.

Take from this what you will. Here is a list of programs, their purposes (cut, bulk, etc.) and a link to the program.

*Note: Beginner is no weight training or about 3 months of weight training. Intermediate is 6 months to 4 years of weight training (this means real training). If you're advanced you more than likely are not looking at this thread for educational or purposes, but what the hell check out what I've put there. Do not jump into advanced programs after an injury, after a long break from lifting, or if you don't think the squats and deads are ridiculously important in any kind of routine.

Beginner

Rippetoe's Starting Strength
Rippetoe's starting strength
Strength/hypertrophy/Intro
It's supposed to be from Starting Strength (there is a new version out as well). I don't have the book so i don't know if the information here is correct. Looks good to me though. There may be even three programs on this one page. I encourage you to read the extensive overview of squats and power cleans etc.
I'd invest in the book as well.

NROL- Break-in, Fat Loss I and II, Hypertrophy I and II
Intro/Fatloss/hypertrophy
Start with the break-in, work your way up. Do not go straight to strength programs.
This program comes in the book New Rules of Lifting. Get it.

From Malkore
Waterbury Total Body Training
Harbinger hypertrophy
Hypertrophy/Strength
"Its a full-body workout by Chad Waterbury. Beginners can do it and ignore the 'antagonist' training days, just keep it simple. Intermediate trainees can incorporate the antagonist days."

Intermediate

Bill Starr 5x5 Madcow Intermediate
Bill Starr 5x5 - Madcow Intermediate or Linear Version
Strength/Hypertrophy
bulking. make sure you read the whole page. this is not a 9 week program. Make sure you follow the progressions to ensure that you can meet them each week. Don't get overzealous.

Waterbury Method 10x3
10x3 method
Hypertrophy/Strength
Again, follow parameters, increase based on the progression preset for you. 2.5% a week. This will make sure that by week 4 you can actually achieve another 7.5% from original week.

Waterbury ABBH
ABBH
Hypertrophy/Strength
again, follow directions.

NROL (New Rules of Lifting) Fat Loss III, Hypertrophy III, Strength I and II
everything
in my opinion, Strength I and II are best.
Unfortunately you have to buy the book, and the progressiosn aren't made out for you.

Waterbury 10x3 for fat loss
10x3 for fat loss
Fatloss
again, follow directions.

20 rep squats
20 rep squats
HYPERTROPHY
Involves taking your 10 rep on squat and doing it 20 times. Not for the faint of heart.

Cosgrove's Complexes for Fatloss
Complexes for Fat Loss
Fat Loss

From Evo
Westside for Skinny Bastards III
DeFranco's Training - Articles
Hypertrophy or Strength There are multiple templates here. One for hypertrophy and strength another for speed and strength

From Karky
Olympic Lifting
Olympic Weightlifting - QWA - Training Programs - Intermediate
"The intermediate QWA program, similar to the advanced one. and for this too you should know the oly lifts :)"

From buzz
HST
Hypertrophy-Specific Training : : Official Home of HST
Hypertrophy
"HST recomends fullbody workouts doing mostly compounds,it is a set of principals not a routine as such,so anything set out is an example ."
Note: I would not do leg presses or leg curls. I am against all machines, especially non cable machines in general. I'd replace leg press with squats whenever possible, and leg curls with SLDL or RDL. If it switches from squat, to leg press, to squat again on workout days, may as well do deadlifts, since I don't see deadlifts anywhere.

Advanced

NROL Strength III
IMO, this is advanced... 3, 2, 1, 3, 2, 1, sets etc. Would probably do Strength I and II first.

Pendlay 5x5, Periodized
Pendlay 5x5
hypertrophy/strength

Olympic Lifting
Olympic Weightlifting - QWA - Training Programs - Advanced
Strength
Don't do this unless you can actually do olympic lifts...

20 rep squats
20 rep squats
Bulk
There are advanced variations involving squatting 2 days a week only. I have also included this in both because it can be done as an intermediate lifter but also it requires alot of dedication. If you don't like to hurt, don't do this.

Important Links

I feel these stickies spread throughout this forum will help you, and I suggest you give them a thorough read. A few minutes now will save months in the future.
Nutrition
Weight Training Basics (Half of the people asking for advice at all need to read this)
Fat Loss TroubleShoot
Proper form and Technique (Please, do yourself a favor and check out squats and deads in this one)
Cosgrove's Hierarchy of fat loss I encourage you to read this if you plan on losing some weight. Could save you some pain and effort.
Weight Loss Intricate

Anyone else that can put routines here for people who need them please do.

Thanks.

Note: I did not come up with any of these nor have I personally tried all of them. I make no intellectual claim as to the creation of these routines.

Edit: Updated as to whether or not it is an intermediate, advanced, or beginners program. Also added important links and user contributions. Indivated bulk/strength/fatloss.

Last edited:
Didn't see this on in the list: TESTOSTERONE NATION

Its a full-body workout by Chad Waterbury. Beginners can do it and ignore the 'antagonist' training days, just keep it simple. Intermediate trainees can incorporate the antagonist days.

I don't know about the HST thing... I just don't think we should be encouraging the use of machines, especially non cable machines such as the leg curl and leg press.

Nothing wrong with ab it of isolation, IMO, specially if your goal is mass gain. The program includes. Now I see that site does the typical "squat or leg press" which I hate, you could just put a note next to it saying to not go for machines where it is optional whether to use machine or weights.

i dont' dislike isolation, just leg curls and leg presses. meh w/e, i'll go with you on this one.

maybe it's time for an FAQ setion, for questions such as "I'm 15, I'm 5'10 and I weigh 134 lbs. should I cut?"

I don't know about the HST thing... I just don't think we should be encouraging the use of machines, especially non cable machines such as the leg curl and leg press.

HST recomends fullbody workouts doing mostly compounds,it is a set of principals not a routine as such,so anything set out is an example .

Leg curls rule if coupled with RDL's or GM's. It's like doing a GHR broken up into two stages.

I think this thread should explain the Westside method.

I've heard about Doggcrap training, I just never bothered to read like 20 friggin pages that explains it. Is there a short version somewhere?

well this was posted a while ago, but I have some input on the reason the thread was started.

see OP,

you just provided an enormous list with workouts that can be radically different, in fact I am sure some of them contradict each other on key points.

Immediate search results often don't yield complete routines but simply pieces of advice such as how many times per week one should train what muscle and which workouts should be done on the same/on different days, etc.

so eventually most people piece something together that goes with their goals and their schedule, and their personal preferences, and I think it's valid to post and ask if anything needs to be changed or if it should work fine.

well this was posted a while ago, but I have some input on the reason the thread was started.

see OP,

you just provided an enormous list with workouts that can be radically different, in fact I am sure some of them contradict each other on key points.

Immediate search results often don't yield complete routines but simply pieces of advice such as how many times per week one should train what muscle and which workouts should be done on the same/on different days, etc.

so eventually most people piece something together that goes with their goals and their schedule, and their personal preferences, and I think it's valid to post and ask if anything needs to be changed or if it should work fine.

Sure it's valid, you won't get banned for doing it. The thing is that most people who post their own routines here have no idea what they are doing. And the advice we often give is to do a basic full body routine at first.

Sure it's valid, you won't get banned for doing it. The thing is that most people who post their own routines here have no idea what they are doing. And the advice we often give is to do a basic full body routine at first.

I have done a few routines before and i have recently got a new routine from bodybuilding.com and i have changed a few exercises a lil bit to suit me equipment needs...It goes for 4 days a week and its split. Should i stay with split or change to full body...?

Back