Favorite Exercise/Activity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pharinet

I'm a little nervous to post this, as I fear some of the responses. I'm not an 'active' person. I would much rather read a book or watch a movie than ride a bike or take a walk...

but, I need to get up and move!

I like to dance, but can't seem to follow the steps on the video I have. :( Do you think just dancing around to music you like is worthwhile/good exercise? (I know, a bit silly, but I really really like music!)

I'm currently doing Tae Bo three days a week, but honestly, I find it boring. :(

So, I come to ask what your favorite exercises/activities are that do not require a gym membership or expensive equipment (by expensive, I mean anything upwards of $30)...

Thanks in advance for any of your responses!

dancing can be very good exercise!! my favorite exercise is using free weights or machines...and swimming, but i guess those second two require membership to something. but using free weights does not. :D

I really like to swim, too, but am too self-conscious to get into a suit in front of others just yet. Maybe after a drop in weight. :blush5:

I'll also check out the vid you mentioned to me. (Sorry, can't PM back yet, apparently I haven't been a member long enough, hehe).

I really like to swim, too, but am too self-conscious to get into a suit in front of others just yet. Maybe after a drop in weight. :blush5:
not one person is going to care about what you look like i your swim suit... If you wait to do something until you reach a certain point - that point might never happen.. if you like to swim - go swim and who cares... you're improving yourself... that's what matters...

not one person is going to care about what you look like i your swim suit... If you wait to do something until you reach a certain point - that point might never happen.. if you like to swim - go swim and who cares... you're improving yourself... that's what matters...

While I completely understand and appreciate what you're saying, I'm not comfortable bearing that much skin in public. When I feel more comfortable with my body, I'll do it. I can't wait to wear shorter skirts and sleeveless tops again, but I'm not ready for it. I know how to dress for my size and look good. Bathing suits just don't fit into my wardrobe. Hehehehe. I don't want to spend my exercise time feeling uncomfortable or awkward. I need to associate positive things with this experience.

When summer rolls around, I swim with my fiance and his family. That's because they know me, love me, and don't judge me. While it sounds self-centered to say that other people would look and care about my size, I know that it does, indeed, happen (all I have to do is remember my last trip to the ocean). I'd like to be able to say that I don't care what other people think about me, but I do. Unfortunately, I haven't reached that point.

The Dance Dance Revolution DVD game is less than 30 at Best Buy, and it's a really fun way to exercise, especially if you already like to dance!

I LOVE DDR. I am like..a ddr junkie:p

Basically, you can buy it for xbox and ps2, maybe others, someone else will have to confirm that though.
It comes with a dance mat, and you can buy several games for it. I've had mine for a year and i'm not really even tired with the songs on it yet. Definitely worth investing in. And it doesn't matter if you can dance or not, trust me.

If you don't own a game console, they make a DDR DVD game. Basically, it's the same concept as the console, it comes with mats so you can jump on the arrows.. but beyond that I don't know if it scores you or not. I have an XBOX, so I play DDR on that. The DVD game is like 26.99 or something. If you already have a console, the games are anywhere between 25 and 60 dollars, depending on whether or not you buy it used and which version you buy.

I LOVE DDR. I am like..a ddr junkie:p

Basically, you can buy it for xbox and ps2, maybe others, someone else will have to confirm that though.
It comes with a dance mat, and you can buy several games for it. I've had mine for a year and i'm not really even tired with the songs on it yet. Definitely worth investing in. And it doesn't matter if you can dance or not, trust me.

You can buy it on XBOX, PS2, Gamecube (though there's only one DDR game for that system, called MarioMix or something, and it's incredibly rare), Wii, PS3, XBOX360, and the original Playstation. You can also buy plug-n-play versions of the game, and a DVD version. They make a keyboard version for PC but obviously that's not much exercise. :jump:

..In case you were wondering, I work at Gamestop.. haha.

:coolgleamA:

yeah, can be fun, theres some pretty cool songs, but not a whole lot of burnin going on haha.
I forgot all about marioDDR, i remember wanting to play it a lot but didnt have a gamecube!

yeah, can be fun, theres some pretty cool songs, but not a whole lot of burnin going on haha.
I forgot all about marioDDR, i remember wanting to play it a lot but didnt have a gamecube!

Good luck finding it now, and if you do find it, good luck finding it for less than 50 bucks!

(I just checked Amazon, they have a bundle for 80, the game and dance pad.. heh heh)

I know you said you're not big on walking, but honestly, it's hard to beat for being inexpensive and easy to do. I don't know if you live in an urban, suburban, or rural area, but if you get creative, you can probably find some interesting routes to walk. I like to take in the sights and sounds while I walk so I generally don't use my iPod, but if it would motivate you to have music, go ahead and do that. Or while you're walking, plan your day, think through a dilemma, visualize your goals, whatever. Take a camera along and capture interesting scenes, people, or animals. Another thing that really makes the time fly is listening to an audiobook. You'll be done before you know it.

I know you said you're not big on walking, but honestly, it's hard to beat for being inexpensive and easy to do. I don't know if you live in an urban, suburban, or rural area, but if you get creative, you can probably find some interesting routes to walk. I like to take in the sights and sounds while I walk so I generally don't use my iPod, but if it would motivate you to have music, go ahead and do that. Or while you're walking, plan your day, think through a dilemma, visualize your goals, whatever. Take a camera along and capture interesting scenes, people, or animals. Another thing that really makes the time fly is listening to an audiobook. You'll be done before you know it.

I never thought of using photography as a motive for going on a long walk, but that's a great idea. I'll definitely try using this to get myself motivated.

Dumbbell Exercises

I've found exercising with dumbbells are one of the best forms of exercise. They're pretty inexpensive, and you use support muscle groups to aid the main muscle group you're focusing on.

You can work your core on almost any exercise that you do standing up.

Good luck!

More and more, I think walking might be my best bet. We actually have a great place to walk locally...when the weather is nice. My issue with walking has always been the weather. But, we're moving into Spring now. Temps are rising and snow fall is slowing down a bit.

I'm still going to use Tae Bo about 3 days a week, but weather permitting, I'm going to walk at least 2 days a week.

I haven't given up on the DDR idea yet, either. That just sounds like sooo much fun! :)

I bought a step for around $30 at Target, and use it at home... its a pretty decent workout, however, if you've never been to a step class I'd recommend a DVD to go with it, so you can mix up your routine.

My favorite activity is running... well, in my case you might call it more of a shuffle at this point- I'm just getting back into it and am pretty out of shape, but was a runner for quite a few years before. I started back breaking it up with walk/run intervals, but I'm to the point now of being able to run 2.5 miles with out stopping (though I'm very slow, but whatever). I also don't like walking.. I couldn't tell you why, I just don't. I prefer to run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back