Heat/Cold

Any physical therapists or docs out there?? Correct me if I'm wrong.

My understanding is the only thing ice is good for is to control swelling. If you have an injury where swelling isn't an issue (sore back etc.) go straight to the heat. Heat increases blood flow to the area and blood carries the nutrients to help healing. Ice can actually retard healing, but if you have something such as an ankle sprain, take care of swelling first with ice.

That's what the coaches and trainer tell me at my high school.

Ice can actually retard healing

Ice is great for healing. We have an ice bath at the gym, a lot of the guys take one after every workout. It really aids recovery.

The interesting thing about recovery is that it is a lot like working out. You need to vary the methods that you use in order to get the max result.

That means sometimes using ice, sometimes using heat, sometimes using both, sometimes mix in recovery workouts in the pool, Sometimes mix heat with dynamic or static stretching. Or mix heat with massage or foam roller.

There are a million combinations.

So do some experimenting, you will find combinations that will work best for you.

Heat almost always works best for me, so that's part of why I kind of adopted that theory.

I'm not an expert and I'm not saying it doesn't, I just can't understand how ice can cause it to heal. Blood is the great healer in our body, that's why things like massage and heat which increase circulation to an area will aid in healing....that makes sense to me. Ice decreases circulation to an area which won't allow more fluids to flood in hence, it controls swelling.

So for me, if I have an injury on an extremity I might ice it first since it is likely to swell, but otherwise, I go for heat

Ice can cause vasodilation following vasoconstriction due to nerve signal suppression, which means that it can do both. Also, with an acute injury, even if there's no swelling initially, introducing heat too soon can lead to acute haematoma formation from the heat, which would make it worse (especially intra-compartment swelling). 10 minutes on of cold (not freezing) 2-3x over the first 24 hours is almost always a good choice.

Healing isn't a "one size fits all" formula: sometimes being able to stop/suppress one reaction (swelling and inflammatory cytokines, pain, reduction of lyphatic vessel permeability, etc, etc) is more important than producing blood flow at different points in the process.

Gooch!!! I've been reading your stuff, and i'm guessing you are getting the "twang" in your lower back.

hamstrings baby! Stretch them every night before you go to bed. 5 breaths on each leg,, make that stretch for real. Soon you will feel it go beyond your hip and into your back.

I started this over 5 years ago due to chronic lowe back trouble,... and the hammys were doing it. today i can put my hands flat on the floor, and I have a very "confident" back.

if I'm wrong about your back, you will still be better of for haveing well stretched hamstrings. I no longer buy epson salt by the pallet!-- HA

FF

Gooch!!! I've been reading your stuff, and i'm guessing you are getting the "twang" in your lower back.

hamstrings baby! Stretch them every night before you go to bed. 5 breaths on each leg,, make that stretch for real. Soon you will feel it go beyond your hip and into your back.

I started this over 5 years ago due to chronic lowe back trouble,... and the hammys were doing it. today i can put my hands flat on the floor, and I have a very "confident" back.

if I'm wrong about your back, you will still be better of for haveing well stretched hamstrings. I no longer buy epson salt by the pallet!-- HA

FF

I just had it once last week. It generally isn't a problem for me, but I think my form suffered a little bit and I got a spasm. I actually stretch like crazy and I totally agree this usually does the trick....I haven't missed a scheduled workout day ion over a year

Sometimes, however I do get a stiff neck, but I think that has more to do with sleeping in an odd position more than lifting

...and thanks bipennate, that is some food for thought

Back