Dave's Diary

nomorecomebacks

It's been a few years and well ... I feel like changing my username. I'll start off with my before pic for this time around and no doubt weight quite some time before I log in an some after shots. The below image is what I am working with. Unfortanley there is not blowing my tummy out to make it look worse than it is. This is me just fully relaxed accepting fully how it is that I have let myself go; yet again. I'm pretty sure my gut biome is complete shot with a lot of full time gas. The rolls of fat are most certainty a red flag for me. For the record:

168cm/5'5 --- 105kg --- Goal weight 74kg --- Current weight 102kg --- 28kg to go

Nothing to hide here:
Daves-Before-shot-2020.jpg

Last time I went from 106kg down to around 70kg with 72-76 being more optimal. What happened? Life I guess. A long drawn out family court battle, a serious scooter accident that ended up with a major shoulder reconstruction, residential relocation and so on and so forth. Oh yea, I've entered into the 50+ category now and seemingly shrunk a little bit as well. My stats are not looking good at all. Last time I was like this I had chest pains. Glad to say I am catching myself just in the nick of time.

Thankfully the life's hurdles I just listed have all come to an end. Although I'm just going to have to gracefully ride out with the aging. I'm all good with that. It's definitely slowing me down and that is not such a bad thing really. Although my shoulder will never be the same (AC separation with artificial ligament, drilled holes and metal) that combined with the 50+ have been a good lesson for me. I have to do things much smarter now lest I end up in pain and quickly back at the starting line.

That said, it's not a race. I am prone to passionate bouts, but I have a camera to slow me down a bit whilst out and about. For now I'll list the numbers:

Right now I have gone from 105Kg to 102kg:
102kg.jpg

Exercise:
Well - I'm no longer the gym type. I fully respect those that do well in the gym! It's a great place to be sure and it worked really well for me in the past. I've become more sensitive regarding my personal space these days. No, Covid19 has nothing to do with that bit of insight into me. About a year ago an X-military guy with an acquired brain injury crashed into my car which resulted in him taking a pick axe out the back of his utility and proceed to hack my to death with it because I had a difference of opinion regarding the crash. I had to beg for my life and change my pants when I got home! He was charged with a criminal offense and my car was replaced via insurance. Oh boy - now wonder I let go. Other factors in the gym include super setting which tends to interrupt my own routine. This facet can also at times, present issues with too much testosterone that I care less to engage with. I also struggle with the loud noise and no control over whatever music. I think that is enough for any normal person to contend with, let alone that fact I am on the spectrum; lvl2. The later being my super power in my own world.

So it was that I decided to purchase a treadmill - this is now getting some attention!
Treadmill-Moving-Forward.jpg

Despite having to take it easy due to my shoulder reconstruction, it has been about a year now. I should be good to get back into the weight resistance on a lighter scale. In fact, I've never really needed to lift heavier weight in order to build muscle. The following I just picked up at the local REBEL sports store and something that I know is more than good enough. I have a barbell rack on it's way as well as a flat bench:
Dumbell-Barbell-Set-2.jpg

I'm also using a mini tramp known as 'The Cellerciser.' I paid a small fortune for it, but wanted something that was going to be easy on my back and last a life time. I researched the bungie corded ones, but decided against it based on the variable weight tolerance I got with this particular patented spring set Vs the cord. Each style of tramp has their pros and cons. Once oiled with the right stuff, my Cellerciser is every bit as quiet as a corded rebounder where the reviews contesting one of the other simply don't reveal the truth as experience by the each user. In short I love my mini tramp and really need to get back on it big time.

Other things I have are foam rollers, medicine balls + a stability ball. I've got way more than enough to approach all of my exercise needs.

Having said all that though, cleaning up my eating is in the forefront of it all. Waking up and getting up straight away is second to my clean eating so that I end up getting some quality sleep. Getting outside to get quality sun exposure and breath in what is left of the fresh air as all things I am sure most people know about. Finding the will has been my biggest issue despite knowing well and having all these things. When in doubt I am now getting on my push bike to just take it easy under the sun for my ability to make melatonin and clean my skin. Increased hygiene care not to be underestimated as too general relations. The latter not to much of a focus other than immediate ones on my house. I'm really just content to fill up my days of late with simple exercising, eating, outdoor exposure and seeing to my and my families basic needs ... then quality sleep and do it all over again.

Is what it is for now. Chuckles to self at my username because here I am back on another comeback.

I log in one last image before logging off before going to get some afternoon rays!

One of my local area on the east coast of Australia. I usually take a camera with my on my bicycle. Helps to keep me outside longer. Getting outside really does help.

These two know what it's all about!
On-The-Rocks-Blogged.jpg

Here's to another weight loss journal and reaching my goal weight. One day at a time.

~ Dave

weight.png

Last edited:
Welcome back

you can do this !

-Cheers from nearby !

Welcome back Dave. Sorry to hear you've been through so much crap in the past couple of years but great that it all seems to be behind you.

Hi, Dave & welcome back to the forum. No more comebacks is akin to giving up & you haven’t done that. We must never give up!
You sound ready to get healthy. I have recently got my mojo back too. Let’s do this :)

Hey Dave, good to meet you! I was not here when last you were.

Congrats on losing the first 3 kg, a solid start. I can relate to anyone who has relapsed and restarted, I have done it too many times to count, and usually with less reason than you... I guess it comes with the problem. I can also relate to the shoulder problem, I have a rotator cuff thing. Lighter weights have really helped mine, hope it does the trick for yours.

Looking forward to following your progress!

Thanks for the support. Much appreciated. It helps quite a lot. I remember you all and glad you guys are still about. Your all quite an inspiration to this forum. It's also nice to meet new people. On that note, thanks for the encouragement also Rob.

Too tired to report much for today. Just that I am still eating clean and I met my exercise goals. I also managed to plant some Kale, Rocket, and add some Lemon Balm to my herb collection. Whilst doing that, I transplanted both my Rosemary & Lavender into larger pots. To do this I had to add a growing table outside. I'm looking to mix the lavender flowers with the lemon balm for herbal tea. That combo used to really help me relax. I should have enough potting mix left for a two chamomile plants. I'd also like one more lavender if I can find the space. As a renter I much prefer to pot everything and use a couple of tables and odd spot around the garden.

Under the patio I have been working on the following:

Snap shot with phone and does not render that well in light box. The latest edition is the bamboo which will need repotting sometime in the next growing season. The grow table I have added is not pictured. I put that next to the herbs two of which I just repotted. I guess I did have something to report. :)
20210615-080616.jpg

Thanks again for the encouragement. Much appreciated.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Very productive garden TDT :)
We’ll done on eating clean & exercising.
Thanks Cate. What does TDT mean? Forgive my lack of knowledge.
I did well again with regards to eating clean & Exercising.

Big day actually. I spent a couple of hours out on my feet walking/ Measure 8km/5mile. Took my time. during part of the walk I took my shoes and shirt off to walk along the beach at low tide. I'm certainly not much to look at, but the winter sun felt too good and I know just how good it is for me and it being a big part of my routine when into these weight loss bouts. To be sure I should be sticking with that program during the maintenance phase as well. The whole bare foot walking works well with me as well. Great way for my sore feet and shins to recoup after the reintroduction back onto the treadmill intervals.

All set for in the morning. Today was cardio and I got up a decent sweat with my treadmill. 1 minute trotting with one minute breaks for 35 minutes with 5 mins either side (within to 35) to warm up and cool down. I love cardio and can't wait till my bones and ligaments adjust as the weight starts to fall.

My bench and squat rack turned up today. - ready for in the morning. Stores pretty well in my bedroom. I don't have much space in my garage. The treadmill takes up enough room in the house and it's too dangerous to leave unattended given my 6year old grandson lives with us. Too cold outside at the moment as well. Tomorrow I got pick up a rug to catch my sweat. I'm just going to have to make it a new chore to clean.

Flatch-Bench-and-Barbell-Rack.jpg

I love my balance ball and all, but using those weight on the ball as a bench was getting a bit much on my neck and back. The rack is just the right height for me to rack the bar after doing squats. Much better than having to lift it off my shoulder when I start going up in the weights; at least for squats. Right now those weights are more than enough for me. I can also bench from that height which means I don't have to change anything between benching and squats. That set up has worked out really well. The bench folds but is good enough to leave up against the wall as pictured.

Right now the weight is coming off pretty good:
I lost another 2kg (Bang on 100kg)
100kg.jpg

That's a wrap from me. Sleep is important. I am working hard on all facets to get rid of the heavy stuff fast so I can eventually get of my treadmill and run outside. My new running shows still in transit.

That's a wrap from me - Next I work on putting together a proper weight routine. Push Pull Mon/Wed & Fri for now - Once I get the gist of that I'll work into a 2 day split and decide how I'll work that.

ZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

weight.png

Induction Pain: I am still into the first couple of weeks of focused attention and commitment to my exercise regime. Like other times I always expect to be stiff and sore for those weeks. Sadly this morning I overstretched the internals of my right shoulder being the one that was reconstructed last year. It's not all bad as my diet is very low inflammatory and high in hydration + No Salt or Processed Sugars. I get more than enough from my fruits and veggies. Perfect for recovery. I miss the days when all I worried about was shoulder impingements. I got a few books on that subject. What I have to nurse atm is more complex my usual a rotator cuff issue. In fact I went into a deep depression when I tore my ligament and smashed my should when I did. I hate surgery of any kind let alone a major should op. I knew it was going to majorly impact my usual copping strategies; lifting weights. So far so good. I checked with the surgeon if I could still do furniture removals and lift like so in general. It's just a wake up call knowing it will never be the same.

My assessment re the pain now shows me is just how weak all the innards have become since my shoulder was drilled, threaded and bolted. Also that I did not put in the work re physio when I should of. Whilst there is still some give with bone serration when under load, it is very much the surrounding ligaments and skeletal muscle that I need to focus on. I'll be pleased if after my next days rest when I go to grab the lighter weights if I can still go through the motion. That means the what I have stretched will come back stronger after the two day break thereafter that attempt. It was when using my dumbbells to do flys. Going to be more mindful of my form as well.

Time to do some stretching. After my morning weights I got in some good UV exposure down at the beach with more barefoot and shirtless walking. It was not low tide but was able to sustain the distraction of others being about. Even manage a nod here and there, although during this induction period such is not my thing. Online I can do - but outside ... not everyone should be forced to participate or play to another's ideal.

Moving on - Before hitting the beach I picked up a rug so as to keep the carpet in my room in good nick. I still need a few more weights and maybe one more set of dumbbells to easy the interchange being spin locks and all.

It was when using my dumbbells to do flys. Going to be more mindful of my form as well.
My first guess would be that you brought a bit of swing into the movement rather than keeping it slow and controlled all the way up?
Even manage a nod here and there, although during this induction period such is not my thing. Online I can do - but outside ... not everyone should be forced to participate or play to another's ideal.
Online is so much easier! Though I'm currently being reminded of how intensely pleasant in-person interaction is when you vibe with people so kudos to you for resisting the stress.

My first guess would be that you brought a bit of swing into the movement rather than keeping it slow and controlled all the way up?

Online is so much easier! Though I'm currently being reminded of how intensely pleasant in-person interaction is when you vibe with people so kudos to you for resisting the stress.

I'm all good with from. Been doing since I was a teenager. But thank you for the tips. I was using too much weight.

I'm glad your having a good time of it LaMaria. For sure such interaction can do wonders for the immune system. The later context of my point is not to do with stress but more about respecting people who simply prefer to be on their own for whatever reason. Sadly we live in society that only focuses on positive vibes with little time, for those content to live with whatever presents. So it is that people tend to negatively imprint upon others who do not shine as they do. Is all good - I think my comment resonates more for people who have difficulties other than weight loss.

Once again very pleased your are chiming well out and about. Today I crossed paths with one of my old support workers. Currently I am working with another person who understands me well enough. My daughter is currently in a psych ward because she tried cut a cord from our iron as a tool to hang herself with. I won't go into the details, but there are families in the community that struggle with this kind of thing from one generation to the next. Most people I know in their mid 50s are done having to parent all over again, but my wife and I do not have that luxury. So it is that I say some people are less stressed when not having to feel they must participate with others whom are feeling so empowered.

Sigh ... Back to losing weight. Yet such things all play their part. My diary like the last must allow the space for said things to be expressed just as much as one's ability to count the numbers, hit the treadmill and pump weights. Covid19 is more an universal example and also playing into things as well. I can 100% say that I am less stressed when not having to deal with people in 2021.

I think I just hang in here. Thanks for the support but don't think I have it in me to continue reciprocating. When it comes to advice what works for one does not always work for another. Gets complicated when sharing opinions. I only talk from my own experiences and very careful when passing on advice.

I apologize that my journaling might not match the external theme to weight loss. All good. My bad entirely.

Thanks again for your replies.

Edit - The fact she had a plan this time has somewhat derailed me. It's nothing you said. Just dealing with some heavy stuff. Again apologies if out of line sharing in here.

I think I had a senior moment, Dave. Pretend it didn’t happen please :blush5:
LOL, I caught it, I caught it, you can't pretend it didn't happen.

Hi Dave, first time popping in over here to say hi. I kind of do a push/pull split type thing too, but do legs 3 times a week. I need to add some more cardio in though. I like what you're doing here.
TDT (the real TDT)

Thank you for you positive feed back LaMaria. I wish to end on a good note, so share my new rug and shoes that arrived today. Major difference whilst out walking! The room looks a little brighter as well.

Rug-and-shoes.jpg

Nice to meet you toodamtall.

Here is to another day of healthy choices. :)

I'm so sorry to hear what you're going through. I understand that changes things completely. Never worry that your diary may not be focused on food/exercise enough though: this is your space and what we eat is about so much more than just fueling the machine.

Back