Dandelioness's diary

Lists really help me when I'm feeling overwhelmed.
I procrastinate on really weird things though. Things that aren't hard to tackle at all. Don't know why!
that's interesting. Some of the things I procrastinate on are pretty easy too, if they're associated with something difficult. Sometimes it helps to break things down into steps in my mind, or at least come up with a few steps that will be good to start with. Not always, but sometimes.

So I have two days worth to type in today.

Today:
Egg 70
milk 20
chicken sausage 45
oil 25?
veggies w egg ~10

plum 30
egg salad sandwich 200
carrots and radishes ~40
strawberries ~50

turkey burger 200
mashed potatoes 110
zuchinni 10
oil ~25
fake ice cream 330
=1165

on Friday after I wrote on here I had
170 cereal
~100 something else I forgot
=1630 calories for Friday

On Saturday

1 1/2 waffles 130
syrup on the 1/2 50?
1/2 very small grapefruit 20
fake meat sandwich 200
1/2 apple 50
leftover ice cream cone 250?
pizza 130
rice 140
lentil soup 300?
brocoli 40
plum 30
frostin 70
cupcake 140
=1650

think I ate a 170 cal bowl of cereal after I recorded everything
=1820

This was high but since my calories have been better than usual this week, I don't mind.

Today
bran flakes, skim milk, blueberries 200
cheerios 100
choc cereal 170
salmon avocado sushi roll 250
turkey 100
candy 360
pb&j 200
tuna sandwich 200
brocoli 40
mango 100?
plum 60
1/2 cup cereal 85
=1865

Oh dear, high again. I'm sure I eat a lot more sometimes when I'm not counting though.

Very likely. Calories can really sneak up on you. Will be interesting if you lose this way regardless this week; if you do maybe you can up your calorie goal a little bit.

Bleh, I didn't keep track yesterday. I tried to add it up today, and from what I could remember eating it was only 1350 cal, but I'm 99% sure I ate a lot more. I was in a down mood about things in my life I can't change.

Here's todays
cereal and berries 200
vegetarian bacon 90
yogurt 130
cheese 50
peanutbutter sand 200
salad 35
veggie burger 210
waffles 170
turkey 4 oz 200
more salad 25
baby tomatoes 40?
potatoes 6 oz 120
butter 50
a few french fries ~30?
crackers 130
=1680

Not great.
Since I started posting on here, my weight was 4lbs down from the highest I've seen it (which inspired me to start on here). Then this morning it was up 1 again. I don't remember the tenths of a pound, so this could be more accurate than it is. Also my scale sometimes varies a bit if I move it around the floor, and I haven't got space to always keep it in the exact same place.

from what I could remember eating it was only 1350 cal, but I'm 99% sure I ate a lot more.
That's interesting. I do have days sometimes when I feel like a greedy bitch even though I eat normally and it's usually when I'm bloated. Sodium could be the culprit, as Cate suggested, or maybe a hormonal swing?

Not great.
Have to disagree, I think you are doing great. Weight bouncing around is just part of the process, I know it can be hard but you should ignore the short term gains. If the longer term trend is down that's the best you can expect, some small gains and plateaus are normal. As Cate and LaMa say it could be salt related, but you can be sure that so long as you are eating fewer calories than you are burning you are losing fat. It just may take a little while for that to show up on the scales, but it will. And its the fat that really matters, more than the water.

Not sure who first said it here, but wise words to remember are something along the lines of: "perfect is the enemy of good". You are doing very good, try not to measure that against perfect. And keep on trying to track your calories, being a little off now and then is no big deal, just keep trying and all will be well.

Keep at it girl!

Is there much sodium in your diet? I know I hang onto water easily if my salt levels are up a bit.
Well, I always ate a lot of sodium. My blood pressure is fine, and I've read experts aren't sure sodium is always a problem, so I figured I'd worry about it if I knew it was a problem for me. It makes it a lot easier to eat lower calorie if I can be flexible about using salt to flavor things.

Then, a little while before I got on this website I found out sodium can contribute to kidney stones, and from some random test I know I have one of those lurking in me. So I started paying more attention to sodium. I buy crackers instead of baked chips or popcorn. I'm trying to eat more fish and poultry instead of vegetarian fake meat that has a lot of sodium. I still use salt on the table to make veggies and meat taste good, but I think that contributes less sodium than the other things.

Anyway, I don't know if sodium contributed to the higher weight I saw on the scale that motivated me to get on here. Whatever the reason, I still want to lose some weight.

Have to disagree, I think you are doing great. Weight bouncing around is just part of the process, I know it can be hard but you should ignore the short term gains. If the longer term trend is down that's the best you can expect, some small gains and plateaus are normal. As Cate and LaMa say it could be salt related, but you can be sure that so long as you are eating fewer calories than you are burning you are losing fat. It just may take a little while for that to show up on the scales, but it will. And its the fat that really matters, more than the water.

Not sure who first said it here, but wise words to remember are something along the lines of: "perfect is the enemy of good". You are doing very good, try not to measure that against perfect. And keep on trying to track your calories, being a little off now and then is no big deal, just keep trying and all will be well.

Keep at it girl!

Thanks for the encouragement Alligator. Where did your user name come from anyway?

So two days ago (Thursday) I had a really high calorie day. 3,100 calories is my estimate. It was already high (1900) after dinner and then I got into I-don't-care mode with some cake that tasted really good.

Yesterday I did better than that. Unfortunately I didn't write it down. I added it up on my phone's calculator before dinner but then lost it.

cereal & bb 200
2 plums 60
pb sand 200
carrots 50?
5 or 6 lifesavers and cough drops 50?
crackers 130
cake 240
ravioli 250
greens and lt. dressing ~15
ate the pineapple left on the core after I cut it up, and a few chunks. 25?
chocolate 220
=1440

I think I forgot some things. I remember when I was adding it up thinking it would be at least 1600 and that wasn't including the chocolate.

That's interesting. I do have days sometimes when I feel like a greedy bitch even though I eat normally and it's usually when I'm bloated. Sodium could be the culprit, as Cate suggested, or maybe a hormonal swing?

Unfortunately I'm pretty sure I really ate a lot more that day and didn't keep track of it. I am usually adding it up in my head that day, so I have a reasonable idea of how high it was, but just forget what I ate by the time I write it in here. I've tried various systems for tracking over the years, but I think it's just inherently a hassle. Jotting it down on paper and then typing it in here later seemed to be working last week, but now I keep losing the paper, or sometimes not even getting it onto the paper. I'm going to try putting more pads of paper in fixed places in my apartment, so I can count on it being on one of them, hopefully. If I don't want to spend time writing down the food, at least I can write down the total calories and the time of day.

I really, really appreciate your attempt to be encouraging anyway though:).

Today's food
1085 calories before dinner
dinner was chicken Bibimbap, which I ate a little over half of, plus some appetizer dishes, mostly veggies.
ice cream bar I'd estimate 150
pineapple 112
=1347+ Korean food, I'll take a wild guess of 400 cal. =1747

It all sounds delicious, lioness. I haven't eaten much Korean food. Was it good? The only reason I asked about the salt was my weight can vary a lot & if I have much salt I retain fluid.

I would say that if you focus on getting full off low-calorie-density foods like veggies and keep an eye on your protein intake you may not have to count calories to lose weight. But if your dislike of calorie counting comes from disliking calorie restriction in general it may be something you'll have to learn to deal with.

Todays food
cereal & bb 200
Munchkins 300
subway veggie delight w cheese 250
carrots 50?
yogurt 130
bok choy 10?
oil 25?
butter 30
6oz potatoes 125
4 oz turkey 210
veggies 20
1/2 oz goat cheees 52
low sugar ice cream bars 260
=1667

I would say that if you focus on getting full off low-calorie-density foods like veggies and keep an eye on your protein intake you may not have to count calories to lose weight. But if your dislike of calorie counting comes from disliking calorie restriction in general it may be something you'll have to learn to deal with.

Yes, that makes sense. Having enough habits and motivation to not need to count would be awesome, but I'm not very close to that I don't think.

My complaint about calorie counting before was just about the hassle of tracking it, but I definitely dislike the fact that I can't eat as much cake, cookies, etc. as I'd like without gaining weight too :p. Anyway, I got some paper around my apartment so I won't lose it, while I'm working from home at least. I also got Google sheets on my phone, which I used today to track. Maybe that'll be better, especially when I go back to work.

Back