cycling vs. running

That's how we know Popeye was ambidextrous.

Well I prefer running. It gives quick result while cycling take a bit longer time to give results.

Result of what?

Whatever specific result you are referring to, have you done both to the extent of seeing certain results and have you measured it to compare? Did you assemble a group of your peers and control for variance and then took measurements of certain aspects of their endurance or strength or something?

Don't mean to pick on you but your statement is useless and I happen to be bored.

It's not easy to decide that which more worthy and effective. Hmm..In my point of view, running is more. In running your all body part and system working and running is effective for all body effective.

what i feel running is much better to get results.in cycling one have to sit on seat.but in running you use your whole body.if its hard for you to go for running then try jogging with short steps or early morning walk.it will help to maintain weight.

Last edited by a moderator:
You get what you put into it. There is a distinct line between running and walking… a minimum intensity level below which you are no longer running. Whereas on a bicycle you can slow down just as about as much as you want and still be riding a bicycle. There is nothing to stop you, however, from pedaling harder unless you are riding a single speed down a hill. I think a lot of people have conditioned themselves to believe that riding a bicycle is a leisure activity and have some kind of psychological block preventing themselves from pushing hard on a bicycle and making them think that cycling is “easy”.

There is nothing magical about a bicycle or a pair of running shoes that sucks the fat out of your body. Whether you are on a bike or a running trail, if you push at the same intensity for the same amount of time, you will burn a very similar number of calories. The nice thing about riding a bike is that if you pace yourself properly and you have the time, you can continue riding until you are out of energy. It isn't abnormal for a cyclist to go ride 6 hours in a day on a weekend and ride an hour or two each day during the week. When I was training for marathons, even on my biggest weeks leading up to the taper, The longest amount of time I was ever able to spend running was about half what I spend cycling on a typical week and my knees and hips ware killing me. The low impact nature of cycling allows you to ride until your gas tank is empty whereas the limiting factor in running has more to do with how much pounding your joints can handle. Of course, if you don’t intend to spend more than a few hours a week on running or cycling, it doesn't matter. Personally I find it a lot easier when I’m short in time or just feeling demotivated just to throw on some running shoes and go. Cycling takes a lot more prep and maintenance time.

In general I would prefer running. It is way cheaper and doesn't require that much time. However I think that cycling is more fun. It is not so exhausting and more joint-friendly but you need a longer time to feel exhausted.

In general I would prefer running. It is way cheaper and doesn't require that much time. However I think that cycling is more fun. It is not so exhausting and more joint-friendly but you need a longer time to feel exhausted.

That pretty well sums it up. I think cycling is a great form of transportation that also entails some excercie, while running is more effective as an overall form of exercise. If you're traveling more than about 5 miles or so, cycling is much more efficient.

If your on a fitness bicycle, just turn up the level of resistance, and keep the rpm's up. If your riding a bicycle outside, try to keep your rate between 15-20 mph.

Cycling and running both are very effective exercise. It’s depending on you that which one is chosen by you. You like cycling so do this because if you don't like running so it will not helpful for you. You can do cycling with your whole interest.

I do both and I prefer cycling. You get to travel greater distances and experience more. I enjoy going through the countryside and stopping off wherever I want. Running tends to get boring real quick.

I am the opposite. I will run just for pleasure but need an aim when cycling. I have set myself some ridiculous destinations when wanting to up my cycling mileage. The one I always remember is 32 hilly miles to get an ice cream then 32 miles back, as you do.
It is more sensible for distance, due to pace and sustainability but I find I see more when at the slower running pace.

I do both and I prefer cycling. You get to travel greater distances and experience more. I enjoy going through the countryside and stopping off wherever I want. Running tends to get boring real quick.

I am the opposite. I will run just for pleasure but need an aim when cycling. I have set myself some ridiculous destinations when wanting to up my cycling mileage. The one I always remember is 32 hilly miles to get an ice cream then 32 miles back, as you do.
It is more sensible for distance, due to pace and sustainability but I find I see more when at the slower running pace.

In a sense I agree with both of you. What I'd often do is combine the two by cycling somewhere for another activity like hiking. I'd take the bus (with my bike) as close to a trailhead as I could get; usually within about 15 miles or so. Then I'd bike to the trailhead and go hiking for a few hours, bike back to the bus terminal.

So for me it really depends on distance. If I'm traveling about 5 miles or less I prefer running/walking. I agree with CrazyOldMan that you generally 'see'/experience more with the slower pace of walking, which is one of the reasons I prefer hiking to mountain biking.

If your journey requires long distances of road-side travel, what is there to see? Urban walking and wilderness hiking offer wonderful scenic variety that's easy to miss at the higher speeds of cycling. But when traveling longer distances between cities/towns the scenery is repetitive/dull, so cycling makes more sense.

Both have their benefits. I do both, running more so. I enjoy running, though. Running is something that if you hate it, it will forever feel like a chore. Everyone should find something they enjoy. Cardio doesn’t have to be a drudgery. The benefits from both biking and running, are similar and different. I’ve trained both for pace, so from a cardio perspective, you can get an awesome workout, depending on how much you wish to push yourself with either sport. The drawback with biking is traffic—stop and go. Sigh

Potential

The amount of calories you burn in either exercise depends on your fitness level, your current weight and the intensity at which you work. A 150 lb. person cycling moderately (about 13 mph) burns about 400 calories in just 40 minutes. Running burns more calories because it requires you to support your body weight. The average 40-minute run for a 150 lb. person will burn about 500 calories. Performing either activity on an incline amps up the calorie burn.
Benefits

Both cardiovascular exercises strengthen your heart and improve your overall health. Both exercises build leg muscles and increase mobility at the hip joint. Running is a weight-bearing exercise and thus helps build bone density. Over time, both forms of exercise can help you maintain weight loss. Keep up an exercise program that burns at least 2,800 calories per week to keep pounds from creeping back on, as shown by participants in the Weight Loss Control Registry, a research group studying thousands who have successfully maintained weight loss.

Running and cycling is my favorite cardio exercise it helps me to have a good breathing and it helps my heart rate up. Cycling helps me to have a toned muscle in my leg and thigh area. These two exercises help me to lose weight, I run 3 times a week and do the cycling 3 time per week too. I love cycling on my stationary bike at home during winter and cycling outside during summer days.

Back