cycling vs. running

I think the cycling is the best because the calorie consumption you get rid of while riding are slightly higher than when you walk. A 160-lb. individual uses up 292 calorie consumption riding 10 mph for 60 moments. A 200-lb. individual uses up about 364 calorie consumption riding at the same intensity for 60 moments. More intense bike trips will cause you to get rid of a greater number of calorie consumption. The American Council on Exercise states that a 160-lb. individual that trips at 10 mph will get rid of about 384 calorie consumption per 60 moments, and if you're 200-lbs. you will get rid of about 438 calorie consumption during your 60-minute workout.

Cycling and walking are pretty comparable in terms of calories burned, the difference walking tends to be a more consistent workout. With cycling, sometimes you're working really hard (inclines), sometimes you're only working a little (flat), and sometimes your not working at all (hills). With walking, since you're always standing and moving, you're always doing a little bit of work.

In terms of running vs cycling, running burns far more calories than cycling (again, this is because your standing). Even when you're running downhill you're still burning calories.

And all you all you cycling advocates still aren't addressing the issue of bone density. Cycling does little or nothing to maintain skeletal health - something very important as we get older.

I like running than cycling.

=> Calories Burned Biking

Biking usually provides greater calorie expenditure than walking. Over the course of a half-hour, a leisurely 12- to 13.9-mph bike ride burns 298 calories for a 155-pound individual. At 14 to 15.9 mph, that number climbs to 372 calories. Biking at a serious pace of 16 to 19 mph facilitates the loss of 446 calories. At a race-worthy pace of greater than 20 mph, a 155-pound person stands to lose 614 calories each half-hour. Harvard notes that BMX or mountain-style biking results in 316 calories burned for the average 155-pounder.

=> Ideas

If you have time, walking and biking are effective forms of exercise. As Jennifer Dill, a professor of urban planning at Portland State University, points out, 60 percent of all personal trips are 5 miles or less, while almost 40 percent are shorter than 2 miles. Consider commuting by bicycle to work. If that is not feasible, assess appointments you have on a frequent basis. You might be able to leave the car at home and walk or bike to some of them. For instance, leave a few minutes earlier in the morning, so you can walk the kids to school. Small grocery store runs might qualify as well.

=> The Goal

To maintain a healthy weight, lead an active lifestyle. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends adults get 150 minutes of moderate-intensity aerobic exercise each week. This includes walking and cycling. The CDC also suggests two or more days a week of muscle-strengthening activities. Walking and biking neglect some muscle groups, but they also work muscles in your legs, back and other areas.

Last edited by a moderator:
=> Calories Burned Biking
Biking usually provides greater calorie expenditure than walking. Over the course of a half-hour, a leisurely 12- to 13.9-mph bike ride burns 298 calories for a 155-pound individual. At 14 to 15.9 mph, that number climbs to 372 calories. Biking at a serious pace of 16 to 19 mph facilitates the loss of 446 calories. At a race-worthy pace of greater than 20 mph, a 155-pound person stands to lose 614 calories each half-hour. Harvard notes that BMX or mountain-style biking results in 316 calories burned for the average 155-pounder.

Where did you get this info? I'm not calling you a liar or anything, I'd just like a link so it can be validated. I'm curious because this contradicts what I've read: Overall running burns far more calories than cycling. The link below provides a good chart to illustrate calories burned cycling, running and swimming. Only when you get into higher speeds to cycling approach running in terms of calories burned. Besides, how many fitness or commuting cyclists are going to spend an hour biking at a consistent speed of 25 mpg? Most will probably bike sporadically -stopping for traffic lights, stop signs, etc.- at about 10-20 mpg. It's generally much easier to run or walk at a consistent pace. While walking doesn't burn as many calories per hour, you'll have to walk much longer to go the same distance as cycling, so I'm not sure your point is germane.

To maintain a healthy weight, lead an active lifestyle. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends adults get 150 minutes of moderate-intensity aerobic exercise each week. This includes walking and cycling. The CDC also suggests two or more days a week of muscle-strengthening activities. Walking and biking neglect some muscle groups, but they also work muscles in your legs, back and other areas.

Cycling works your back? Again, that contradicts everything I've read. Since cycling is primarily a seated activity, most of your core muscles are inactive. And, like everyone else, you still aren't addressing the issue of bone density: Again, cycling does little or nothing, while running and walking are good for your skeleton since they're weight-bearing exercise (because you're standing up).

A lot of the later posts on this are looking at calorie consumption.
The best average measures use body weight and distance covered. This would mean walking is on average less calorie consuming than jogging or running.
These average measures should only be used as a guide. Comparing cycling, walking and running on this is difficult for a number of reasons. Some are listed below.

Terrain is not usually considered in these calculations, neither is gradient etc. Off roading will usually burn more energy than on road or track etc.

Energy used cycling per mile can depend on the bike you are riding, top notch road bike doesn't compare to a knobbly tyre off roader.

The body uses less energy when within the aerobic threshold than above it. The additional energy is always carbohydrate burning as fat needs oxygen. This means someone breathing freely for an hours run covering 7 miles could use less energy than another who ran 6 miles but kept going above their aerobic threshold and then recovering. The first will have burned more fat in the workout, both will burn more in recovery.

Personal efficiency. I am genetically designed to run distance and find it easy to run at a reasonable pace without rest. I am able to do so at least in part because I run efficiently and smoothly, and this means I use less energy than others running at my pace.
In contrast I am only respectable as a cyclist due to the time I have spent in the saddle. Compared to many I am quick, but when a real cyclist comes on the scene I am shown as the hack I truly am. I have watched a number glide past me evidently using very little more energy than I am, and I know I will not catch them.

As far as which is best. That depends totally on what you want. If you intend to take part in next year’s marathon, doing all of your training on a bicycle will not help vice versa the tour de France.
If you suffer badly with impact or are excessively heavy, muscle or fat, cycling or walking can be the best option to avoid damage to your joints.
If you want to commute and the majority of your route is on road, the bike will be faster, if it is winding paths with gates, running could easily be quicker.
If your hate one or the other, I shouldn't have to tell you which is best.
They are both good aerobic activities at steady pace and can be good for health related fitness when varied.

In conclusion, they are both better than the other.

I think running is more hard but first if you have problems in your legs of course it is better cycling but also we have to remember the important here is that we have to keep doing for long time and like many say it is best what you like it

I prefer both. Each of every day i like to run 2 miles in the morning. More importantly i really enjoy the fresh air of morning which is extremely good for the health. As we know that each of every day does not bring the same atmosphere in our life. Some morning after wake up from the bed i saw lots of snowfall or heavy rain in outside. But keeping regular routine is very very important to me. That's why i prefer cycling also.

What a junk thread. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised due to the general (as opposed to specified) nature of the population here but there is some pretty junky information and opinions posted. I would estimate that over 90% of the posts have misinformation. It’s probably due to ignorance of either one or both of the activities, and some are plainly because of the lack of fitness knowledge in general. Let’s take a few ridiculous ones that immediately come to my mind…

The calories burned that people mention are not at all precise. First it varies with effort, second it varies by individual, third (and probably most important) is that the vast majority of tools people use to calculate calories burned are wildly inaccurate – leaning towards more rather than less. Most of the tools people use are garbage and notoriously imprecise so be very wary, it can flattering but also be off by hundreds.

Cycling is a hell of a lot easier than running? That’s news to me, and most everyone else that has participated in the activities any more than as simple unsystematic recreation. That person should try riding something other than a beach cruiser and going more than 10 mph while sipping beer from one of those baseball caps with the tubes that carry liquid into your mouth and clap when you pull the string.

Cycling affects sperm count? That’s just an ignorant and irresponsible thing to say. Hey, BTW, I heard that running makes women’s breasts sag too. I wonder why it is that pro cyclists (who ride mongo hrs/day) are still able to have kids? Hmmmm, maybe their wives just used a sperm bank I guess. Or perhaps they all get penis transplants when their own inevitably falls off?

Riding 20 miles in a spin class? Wow, that’s a cool trick. You’re riding 0 miles. See it’s a stationary bike, emphasis on the “stationary” part. Next your going to tell me what your avg mph is on the stationary bike.

Cycling is a very anaerobic exercise? Have I landed it Backwardville? Yup, and weight training really builds my slow twitch muscle fibers.

Cycling is a mindless activity? That person has obviously never raced – or even less, simply ridden in a group or on the road, or most other places, other than the boardwalk.

In cycling you don’t pedal going downhill? Does the crank seize up or something.

The fact is that these are two different activities and that makes it hard to compare them – it’s not an apples to apples thing. It’s obvious that many people here never really rode – or know much about the sport. It’s widely known and accepted that cycling is a dangerous, grueling sufferfest of a sport – don’t let the spandex and shaved legs fool you. Go out with any real cyclist on a fitness ride and you will quickly see how un-easy it is. The sport is for people who enjoy torture.

I’ve done a few sports semi seriously. In my youth I competed as a weight lifter and placed 2nd in NY College Regionals. I also dabbled in hockey in high school, my team won the city championship in 1988 I believe (maybe 89). I am now primarily an avid cyclist who races (I still weight train and do other things for cross training purposes). I run but never truly ran competitively, other than numerous amateur races like 5k’s, half marathons, etc. – but not anything that counts towards real placings. And let’s not forget that I was the jump rope champ of all the 3rd grades in my school, even beating all the girls! And I won’t even get into all the sleep away camp medals and ribbons I got.

Here’s the very simple deal – you can make either activity harder or easier. Either can be better for you depending on how you go about them or what your goals are. If you think running burns tons more calories, then simply up the effort of your cycling. An easy way to burn tons of calories, get stronger, get fitter, etc. when riding is to go climb some mountains. See how far you get on a 10% grade before your lungs explode or your legs fall off or your vomit comes up. People who haven’t really ridden for sport are psychologically stunted when it comes to getting and staying in that pain cave and understanding what suffering as all about. It is far and away #1 in terms of suffering when I compare it to weight training or running. The suffering involved in running will be limited because the joints can only take so much and that’ll limit you. If you ride for a few seasons and get into it, you will understand and it will help you break plateaus with other sports.

So, if someone backed me in a corner and put a gun to my head and made me answer, I would say that if you disregard some other factors and make some risky assumptions, running offers the better fitness results. Yes, that answer is very much and very purposefully qualified. People knock other sports because they don’t understand them.

Cycling is a hell of a lot easier than running? That’s news to me, and most everyone else that has participated in the activities any more than as simple unsystematic recreation. That person should try riding something other than a beach cruiser and going more than 10 mph while sipping beer from one of those baseball caps with the tubes that carry liquid into your mouth and clap when you pull the string.

Cycling affects sperm count? That’s just an ignorant and irresponsible thing to say. Hey, BTW, I heard that running makes women’s breasts sag too. I wonder why it is that pro cyclists (who ride mongo hrs/day) are still able to have kids? Hmmmm, maybe their wives just used a sperm bank I guess. Or perhaps they all get penis transplants when their own inevitably falls off?

It depends on the riding position, but the hunched over position of competitive road cyclists is not good for the male genitalia. This position puts excessive pressure on the perineum, and can reduce circulation to the genitals.

This isn't nearly as much of an issue with a more upright-riding position. This puts the pressure on the sit-bones, where it belongs. So overall, the genital issues are related more to the seat position and ergonomics than the activity itself.

Cycling is a mindless activity? That person has obviously never raced – or even less, simply ridden in a group or on the road, or most other places, other than the boardwalk.

In cycling you don’t pedal going downhill? Does the crank seize up or something.

I've never cycled competitively, but have done several 100K group events. Sorry, but after awhile it's becomes pretty mindless, like so many other repetitive activities.

When on a steep decline, peddling will only help you go marginally faster, and this requires minimal effort.

The fact is that these are two different activities and that makes it hard to compare them – it’s not an apples to apples thing. It’s obvious that many people here never really rode – or know much about the sport. It’s widely known and accepted that cycling is a dangerous, grueling sufferfest of a sport – don’t let the spandex and shaved legs fool you. Go out with any real cyclist on a fitness ride and you will quickly see how un-easy it is. The sport is for people who enjoy torture.

It's great cardio, but I never really found it that torturous in terms of burning out my muscles. I got in great cardiovascular shape, but now that I run, I find it to be much more challenging. There's a reason someone can cycle for hours, but very few can run for that long: the latter is much more difficult than the former.

Here’s the very simple deal – you can make either activity harder or easier. Either can be better for you depending on how you go about them or what your goals are. If you think running burns tons more calories, then simply up the effort of your cycling. An easy way to burn tons of calories, get stronger, get fitter, etc. when riding is to go climb some mountains. See how far you get on a 10% grade before your lungs explode or your legs fall off or your vomit comes up. People who haven’t really ridden for sport are psychologically stunted when it comes to getting and staying in that pain cave and understanding what suffering as all about. It is far and away #1 in terms of suffering when I compare it to weight training or running. The suffering involved in running will be limited because the joints can only take so much and that’ll limit you. If you ride for a few seasons and get into it, you will understand and it will help you break plateaus with other sports.

Dude, exercising until you're in agony and puking is not healthy in the long-run. That's actually a problem with excessive cycling: It's a cardio overload. There's an over-emphasis on the legs, but since you're sitting you aren't using core muscles much. Walking and running are far more natural than cycling. What makes you think exercising until you're sick is a good idea? Seriously. :confused4:

So, if someone backed me in a corner and put a gun to my head and made me answer, I would say that if you disregard some other factors and make some risky assumptions, running offers the better fitness results. Yes, that answer is very much and very purposefully qualified. People knock other sports because they don’t understand them.

As I said, I was once an avid cyclist. But since I have a complimentary employer-provided transit pass, it's just not cost-effective or efficient for me to maintain my bike anymore, so I gave it up. I think it's great that you do strength training in addition to cycling, but this is an area many cyclists neglect.

This isn't just my argument; I've read several articles that, as long as you don't have joint issues, running is a better overall workout: It's weight-bearing (cycling is NOT); consequently some core-muscles are used, whereas with cycling the focus is almost entirely on the legs. In terms of overall cardio fitness, I agree you can make either activity as difficult or easy as you want. But the fact that it's weight bearing, more natural, and involves some core muscles makes running a better form of exercise.

It's also much, much, much less expensive.

It depends on the riding position, but the hunched over position of competitive road cyclists is not good for the male genitalia. This position puts excessive pressure on the perineum, and can reduce circulation to the genitals.

This isn't nearly as much of an issue with a more upright-riding position. This puts the pressure on the sit-bones, where it belongs. So overall, the genital issues are related more to the seat position and ergonomics than the activity itself.

Thanks for the lesson, it was really advanced – friendly sarcasm.

I’m a road cyclist as my primary exercise and I know many many others one’s at both much higher and some lower levels than myself, from casual recreational riders up to some domestic pro’s. The fact is that the above is very incorrect information – very incorrect. If you are experiencing loss of blood flow in the perineum area it’s because your fit is incorrect or your saddle is not a good fit for you – both are easily remedied. If you get sore joints when running, does that mean your leg will fall off or become of no use? No, it just means you need to do something different. We road cyclists ride on our sit bones, it’s a basic. We don’t hunch so much as we bend at the hip. Believe you me, our sit bones are on the saddle, not the soft tissue.

Not good for the male genitalia? Simply outrageous. For anyone reading this, they should know there is absolutely no danger to your genitalia when riding on a road bike saddle. I feel silly just having to say that. When on a properly fitted bike with a regular saddle, you will get as much blood flow as your little guy can handle. Use your common sense everyone, there are many cyclists out there riding on road bike saddles all over the world and it’s been going on for generations. How are all these cyclists having babies! Maybe their wives are boinking the milkman? If it affected their ability to get it up, would the sport be as popular as it is (yes, on a world scale, it’s very popular)? Heck no. Do you think we are all impotent? Or maybe we’re all asexual? Just crazy, use common sense.

I've never cycled competitively, but have done several 100K group events. Sorry, but after awhile it's becomes pretty mindless, like so many other repetitive activities.

OK. We’re all entitled to experience our own levels of excitement so whatev. I suspect the reason those group events become mindless after a while is because you are puttering along at a semi relaxed pace, chatting for most of the time, with maybe a couple minutes of effort now and then when you get bored but with no real purpose. You also have dozens of others around so motorists are not as high of a concern. When I ride my senses are alert, even on slow recovery rides. The only time it feels mindless to me is on the trainer. Same thing with running, I am alert outside but dislike the treadmill.

When on a steep decline, peddling will only help you go marginally faster, and this requires minimal effort.

Depends on what “marginal” means to you I guess but we weren’t talking about speed, we were talking effort. And to that I would say if the grade is steep enough for your highest gear (usually in the ratio of 52/11 on a standard road bike setup) to not help much with speed then I would argue that your heart will be beating fast enough due to the high speeds you’re already travelling down that mountain descent. And your brain will be working overtime. If you’ve descended at 50+ mph for any length of time, you’d know it qualifies as a pretty fine workout.

It's great cardio, but I never really found it that torturous in terms of burning out my muscles. I got in great cardiovascular shape, but now that I run, I find it to be much more challenging. There's a reason someone can cycle for hours, but very few can run for that long: the latter is much more difficult than the former.

The reason is called gears, click up a couple while trying to maintain the same cadence. Or find a hill of any consequence to your current level of fitness. It’s not difficult to roast your muscles in short order, quite the opposite - the hard part is to not go into the red. I’m really surprised you have trouble with it. Most cyclists (non newbs) experience limitations in their legs rather than their lungs (i.e. the legs give out first). The sport is commonly regarded as one of the most suffer-filled one’s out there.

My advice to you is to shift out of your granny gear. And then go on a group training ride with some real cyclists and see how long you can keep up after their warm up. You’ll quickly see it is anything but mindless and anything but not torturous – no your joints probably will not hurt, rather your muscles will swiftly fill up with lactic acid and burn as if someone injected a 99% solution of alcohol directly into your veins. Make sure to bring your cell phone so you can call your wife to pick you up when you are too exhausted to get back to the parking lot after you’re dropped.

They don’t call it a sufferfest for nothin’. It’s grueling. Watch “The Hell of the North” on you tube – great flick, very well done and entertaining film, even for the casual or non cyclist.

Dude, exercising until you're in agony and puking is not healthy in the long-run. That's actually a problem with excessive cycling: It's a cardio overload. There's an over-emphasis on the legs, but since you're sitting you aren't using core muscles much. Walking and running are far more natural than cycling. What makes you think exercising until you're sick is a good idea? Seriously. :confused4:
Let me clarify. High intensity interval training is, well…high intensity. When you get to a plateau, you need to push the limits of the body. It’s not like I go out every day and puke my guts out. But yes, a couple times during the season, a little vomit comes up because I stress my body to the point of overload – not the kneeling and hugging the toilet type vomit though. You need to stress the body to experience gains, and the body will adapt. If you go at the same pace all the time you’ll get really good at going at that same pace all the time. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not nearly on the gas pedal for every ride. I like my slow easy rides too and do plenty of those. 2-3 hard rides a week with interval training, 1-2 steady rides, 1-2 recovery rides. Last season the overloads came after 2 races (very hard races for me) and once during a hill climbing training ride.

So pushing your body until its last fiber is a good idea in certain circumstances and on a very infrequent level. It’s not an attempt to get sick, it’s an attempt to get stronger and many athletes go that far and further. It’s not uncommon or anything to be surprised at.

You may be going to easy if you haven’t at least come close to something like that. I am sure that even many a recreational weekend warrior has experienced exercise induced nausea.

Your right of course that cycling is a sport where the legs are emphasized. But so what? So is running and rowing emphasizes different muscles, as do other sports. But yeah, I hear ya and recognize it and do some cross trainer (to the detriment of my cycling actually). Many others prioritize cycling because they are younger and have more of a chance than me to get into higher categories. And you are also absolutely correct that it doesn’t work the core much at all but is a sport where a strong core is essential. Core work is a basic with cyclists – it’s one of the few things that pro’s do off the bike (in the form of concentrated core work, yoga, etc.), most everything else is bike work.

As I said, I was once an avid cyclist. But since I have a complimentary employer-provided transit pass, it's just not cost-effective or efficient for me to maintain my bike anymore, so I gave it up. I think it's great that you do strength training in addition to cycling, but this is an area many cyclists neglect.

True, many neglect it. That’s because their goal is to be a better cyclist and the best way to get better at an activity is to spend the time you have doing that activity. But most very serious cyclists arms are comparable to a street urchin. I always enjoyed weight training (it was my first love) and am too old and with too many responsibilities to even dream of any sort of pro cycling career – heck, I’m happy I can maintain not getting dropped in races in my category. I try to balance more but I do emphasize cycling still, just because I enjoy it. And people think cyclists have strong legs, only to a certain and very specific extent. Get a cyclist to do some squats and they’ll be feeling it pretty bad the next day, especially in the hams.

I get a discount for a transit pass from my employer but I don’t use it often anyway. I’m only 4 miles from work so I either run to and from, or I ride in if the wife is nice enough to pick up our boy after work while I go for a ride. These days (winter here in Boston) I run a good deal more because the daylight limits my riding. I often wish I lived further away so I can commute in by bike. It’s not worth the effort to put on the layers for a 4 mile ride ya know? So I save it for the weekend and just do the trainer in the morning or evening.

Consider getting that ride of your tuned back up. It would be less $ for me too but yt’s not about financial cost, it’s about the health cost. I can rest my blubber on the seat of the train or I can get more fit. But we each have our own circumstances that allow us to do what we can. If you can’t ride in every day, do it 2 or 3 times a week.

This isn't just my argument; I've read several articles that, as long as you don't have joint issues, running is a better overall workout: It's weight-bearing (cycling is NOT); consequently some core-muscles are used, whereas with cycling the focus is almost entirely on the legs. In terms of overall cardio fitness, I agree you can make either activity as difficult or easy as you want. But the fact that it's weight bearing, more natural, and involves some core muscles makes running a better form of exercise.
In a very reluctant and qualified way, I would agree with some of that, most importantly that running is better (again, very reluctant and qualified). I’d have to make some big assumptions though. I just want to add here to anyone reading the above that running is not nearly enough to actually provide much benefit to the core and is also an activity that (in case it’s not clear for some reason) emphasizes the legs. So don’t think that running is enough to develop your core, it’s not. Kind of like cycling uses the triceps but doesn’t develop them in any meaningful way.

It's also much, much, much less expensive.
True dat. But so is dating! I can stay at home and use my hand or I can spend some $ and go out on a date with a gal. Both will get me where I want (if the gal is game whereas my hand never says no) but one will be a much better ride…so to speak. I’m way too married to remember some of that though.

Yeah, running is less expensive for sure. Many sports are more $ than running though. Part of the appeal is the bike, the gear, etc. I’d much rather spend my $ on that than the upgraded BMW.

Da Troof & Apathizer
If you two don't play nice I will take your toys away and send you to the showers with no workout!
There is a lot of truth to a number of things you both say, with research to back it up.

Cyclists can easily end up with lower sperm count than non-cyclists, hardly an issue since we produce far more of it on average than we need and less than 5% of what we do produce will acutally be any good anyway. Basically the amount you produce is largely irrelevant as long as some of it is healthy, and steps can be taken to avoid this.

Running can give you bad knees, if you run badly, or spend 20 years on the sofa then try running a marathon almost guaranteed in fact. I had form that could have caused issues with my knees, and corrected it. Subsequently despite the damage I have caused on many activities never had any knee problems from running, despite being around a third of my original weight heavier and usually running with a rucksack, because it's my commute.

Cycling is not as effective at challenging your aerobic system as running for over 90% of the population, because we didn't evolve to ride bicycles. There is a catch and it's a big one, virtually none of us can run as long as we can cycle, due to impact etc. this means even though an hour of cycling is not as good for improving your heart and lung health as an hour of cycling, but most of us could easily go out on a bike ride for 3 hours, while many would stuggle to run over 1, and you guessed it, 3 hours of cycling is far better for heart and lungs than an hour of running at the same level. This is why the lowest resting pulse rates, a good indicator of cardio fitness, are held by clyclists not marathon runners.

When I ride or run I use every muscle I can upper and lower body, in order to be as quick and efficient as possible. Anyone thinking neither can recruit upper body hasn't tried hard enough. I am by preference a runner, genetic help here, then road biker, where pulling with arms, twisting torso etc. are normal, and lately a straight bar rider, where i have adapted technique to still use upper body and lost very little speed compared to road bike.

Running vs. cycling is a crazy argument. We all find different activities beneficial and enjoyable. I run because I love it, I cycle because only a total moron would think being strapped into a cage in rush hour is fast, and sometimes things are too far away to make running practical.

Now both of you kiss and make up, and we'll all go back to play in the sandpit.

hardly an issue since we produce far more of it on average than we need

Pfffft, speak for yourself!

Now both of you kiss and make up, and we'll all go back to play in the sandpit.

But he still has my toy!

I didn’t feel like I was arguing…just discussing. My statements are just my cynical and sarcastic way, don’t mean anything insulting or aggressive by them. My kitchen tends to run hot.

And Mr. CrazyOldMan, although I was tempted to pick at some details in your post related to a couple cycling statements, I decided that horse has sailed (see, I killed 2 birds with that statement! I am efficient at not only riding but writing as well).

Lastly, I’d like to thank you for backing up everything I said.

My arrogance is a joke – lighten up people.

If anyone needs any extra sperm, feel free to PM me…ladies only please.

If I hadn't seen at least a little humour in your post I would have left you to the mods.
I am openly arrogant, aggresive and occasionally sarcastic myself. We will get along well.

If he still has your toy, then I guess the ladies only section is proven moot.

I always back up people who are right, that's why I supported both of you.

Kind of looseley related joke. If inappropriate the moderators will remove it.
What's the difference between lust, love and showing off?
Spit, swallow and gargle.
Any not understanding why it's approriate, please ask your parents for guidance, they will be thrilled to tell you.

Da Troof & Apathizer
If you two don't play nice I will take your toys away and send you to the showers with no workout!

OK, OK, fair enough. I do want to make one point about cycling and male anatomical health. This is one of many studies I've read that indicates cycling can cause issues with male genital and urinary tract health. I think there's probably much individual variation. Another reason I gave up cycling was because it was giving me a bit of incontinence. :(

I'll let it go. No hard feeling, OK Troof? :)

Here's probably the best article I could find related to potential health issues for cyclists:

Oh, and I like to reiterate what a I wrote earlier: Ideally, it's best to alternate between running and cycling; that way, you'll get the benefits of both, while minimizing each activities' weaknesses.

Your diplomacy does not suit me.

Your humor does.

I do love the irony of that. I have to be diplomatic for a living. In real life I am anything but.
I learned the hard way that sarcasm on forums is hard to pull off without knowing the people you are dealing with. The abuse I received let me know I had not as much overstepped the mark as downright upset people, not the aim of even the darkest humour.
My nature is generally to say some of the most shocking, but obviously false things totally straight faced as if they are absolute truth and watch people try and figure out how to deal with it. In my home town this was common so there were no issues. When I went travelling I had to temper it a little to avoid having my face re-aranged, diplomacy lessons aren't always as pretty as I am, and I aint pretty.

One thing ironic with cycling, especially road cycling. The lycra gear generally means your genitals are virtually on display, ironic that they are apparently what cycling damges.
Personally I haven't found any issue with this and do remember riding to work a few years ago to hear comment of 'Nice bulge!'
Reponse was obviously 'Must be why I'm so happily married.' I am not easily shocked or embarassed, a trait that has embarassed many others including them.

Another reason I gave up cycling was because it was giving me a bit of incontinence.

Not sure this can be right. As a cyclist and runner I often get told I am coming out with a load of ...
Maybe not.

Sexual problems if not choosing the right bike. Basically meaning you never get a good ride, tragic. Is it relevant to say that I don't have the testes for real off-road riding, but that others who do have watched me commuting and said theirs aren't big enough for what I do?

Not sure this can be right. As a cyclist and runner I often get told I am coming out with a load of ...
Maybe not.

Sexual problems if not choosing the right bike. Basically meaning you never get a good ride, tragic. Is it relevant to say that I don't have the testes for real off-road riding, but that others who do have watched me commuting and said theirs aren't big enough for what I do?

Err, OK, not sure what you're saying here. But, if you read the link on my previous post, cycling inherently places pressure on the perineum; while it's possible to mitigate this (upright riding position, anatomically appropriate seat), there's no way to avoid it entirely.

I think it much of it is about individual differences: Some people can cycle consistently for long periods of time and not have issues, while some of us just aren't as well suited for it.

I think it much of it is about individual differences: Some people can cycle consistently for long periods of time and not have issues, while some of us just aren't as well suited for it.

I think that sums it up best...I just have extraordinarily strong muscles in my sexual area.

Back