Cate's Diary

I know what you mean about eating a treat because it really is a treat vs those pesky cravings for the forbidden. So annoying when it really doesn't taste that great either. I did this yesterday, too, so I will vow to do better and stay on track!

With the annoying woman, psychologists say that if a behavior really annoys you, it's probably reminding you of a disowned part of yourself that needs more acceptance and compassion. That said, there are people with behaviors that drive everyone nuts, and no one should be expected to be a saint and get along well with everyone!

Hopefully shopping will surprise you and not be such a bother. I used to like shopping a lot better before Covid. Hopefully when things get back to normal shopping won't be such a pain.

Hi, M. I left Arch at home & went into town & did my essential shopping. This included the chemist, which I usually avoid. I wore my mask everywhere, but I really struggle to breathe in any masks. I had to rest before being able to drive home. When I got home I immediately rang the hospital & postponed my ortho appointment tomorrow. It would have been a big mistake driving in on my own & attempting to then drive home, let alone even thinking I would be able to have a happy shop. It took me a few hours to feel ok again & I read another book. (Richard Osman's The Man Who Died Twice). I took Arch for a walk at 4.30 pm when I felt quite a bit better.
I have had a very healthy eating day.
BF was Ryvitas with 1 egg, some tuna & 1/4 avocado with some rhubarb chutney
Lunch Greek-style yoghurt, 2 bananas, some rhubarb, toasted coconut, almond meal & a few pistachios
Dinner was a venison & veggie casserole with extra veggies.
I have had half an orange, some grapes & cherries since.
I drank lots of peppermint tea.
I missed a call from the local golf club & returned the call with a sinking feeling. They asked me if I could help at their tournament next week & I declined for a few reasons, but mainly my health(perfume/masks/eyesight- not wanting to drive). Last year I relented, but this year I won't. Last time we didn't need to wear masks & there was no Covid in our state.
I think I will try to have an early night tonight.

I'm so sorry to hear the stink knocked you out :grouphug: But if it helped you put your foot down with the golf people maybe it's not all bad. I hope you feel better soon!

I understand you about the annoying women. Maybe you would feel better if writing down everything that bothers you. It hepls me. But sometimes it is not a good idea, it is like adding to the fire.
Great for eating well!

Thanks, LaMa. I felt bad saying no, but you're right it was good in that I know it would be bad for my health. The last time he won me over by the end of the call. Just before the end of this call, he said "But we'll see you on the day won't we?" & I said- "M, I shouldn't be driving at all". I know what would happen if I called in.
Thanks, Milanica. If I started writing down what annoys me with this woman I definitely would get worked up again. I'll do my best to stay away from her & if that is not possible then I need other women around to share the burden!

G will be home by lunchtime today. I have enjoyed a couple of days on my own, but I don't do much different when he's not here really.
BF was my new normal- Ryvitas with a mix of tuna, 1/4 avo, egg, rhubarb chutney, a little low-fat mayo & pepper.
I'll take Arch for an earlier walk this morning I think. I wouldn't mind starting some before breakfast walks. I would love to have our paddocks slashed. I might check out what it would cost.

Hi Cate, I've sent you a message.

Was the Richard Osman book good? I always see them in the book shop but haven't picked one up yet.

Hi, Em. I just replied. I like his books. They are a really good light read. He's a really interesting character I think. Best to read them in order.

That's wonderful you are saying NO to the golf people volunteering you for things. I think they take advantage of your good nature, and it's great that you aren't volunteering somewhere where you don't even get to enjoy the golfing activities now. Plus asking someone to volunteer and then wearing perfume that your volunteer is allergic to is just so inconsiderate. I am really happy you are being firm with them.

Can you get your sons to help and rent a brush hog?

Thanks, M. When G got home yesterday I told him about the call & also told him how sick I had felt after my trip to town & how that had helped me to say no. He agreed that I shouldn't & I was relieved that he isn't disappointed that I said no. I usually don't admit to not feeling up to driving, but I know I shouldn't be at the moment. I can drive somewhere, but not home again after being affected by fragrance.
The people who wear fragrances are other volunteers too. I can't get the rest of the world to change their personal habits for me I'm afraid & people are so addicted to their fragrance. It's not just perfume, it's makeup, hand cream, hairspray or gel, fabric softener, smelly hand sterilizer, smelly dishwashing liquid.....

I spent a long time on the phone with R yesterday. He can talk to me about anything & everything & he does. He has got himself to a really good place & needs to look after himself & do what he can to make sure he stays that way.
I'm glad G is home again. I quite enjoyed having a couple of days on my own, but it's nice to have him back again.

Had a good day today. Ate well, exercised, got stuff done, talked to R again, had one glass of wine & am ready for dinner.
We’re off to town tomorrow for lunch with good friends & if I don’t manage to get a haircut in the morning I may just scream!

I just realized that ever since changing jobs I have had way fewer scent troubles at work. Another point in favor of the current job!
So glad to hear R is doing better and fingers crossed you'll be able to get that haircut!

Thanks, LaMa & Em. I had an awful night's sleep & was awake for hours from about 2 am. I felt too tired & cranky to post in the forum, but just had a quick look & was cheered up a bit. Thank you xo
I'll come back later today, hopefully with short hair :)

I am always amazed how many people have really strong smelling detergent - that alone can bowl you over. Glad you are taking care of yourself and getting a break from fragrances. I really love hearing about how well you and R connect. It's so heartwarming, and good to hear he is doing so well. How is the puppy doing? I had a similar thing having J gone 10 days was nice having time to myself, and nice to have him back, too. Happy short hair, hopefully! :) 🧑‍🦳 :)

Hi Cate, just checking in. I have been worrying about how you are doing with catching up on sleep and with the allergies and things. It seems like you've had both a lot of good news and also a bunch of things changing health-wise lately. I think you're doing wonderfully navigating things so you stay healthy and on track!!! Hope you got a really nice comfy hair cut!

I am always amazed how many people have really strong smelling detergent - that alone can bowl you over. Glad you are taking care of yourself and getting a break from fragrances. I really love hearing about how well you and R connect. It's so heartwarming, and good to hear he is doing so well. How is the puppy doing? I had a similar thing having J gone 10 days was nice having time to myself, and nice to have him back, too. Happy short hair, hopefully! :) 🧑‍🦳 :)
Almost everyone seems to use strong smelling detergent & deodorant. It's impossible to avoid unless I stay home all the time. R & I are really close. The puppy is adorable but a little terror & a big responsibility. It will be good when R gets his house better organised. The pup runs off with everything & is a real chewer. It looks like R will have to organise someone to look after him when he starts work. For the next few weeks, he is only working one day a week, but then it will be three.
Hi Cate, just checking in. I have been worrying about how you are doing with catching up on sleep and with the allergies and things. It seems like you've had both a lot of good news and also a bunch of things changing health-wise lately. I think you're doing wonderfully navigating things so you stay healthy and on track!!! Hope you got a really nice comfy hair cut!
I was too tired last night to post & we had left early in the morning & spent all day in town. I got my haircut first thing & yes, it is really short! I paid the eye surgeon yesterday as he offered $500 off if paid early. Happy about that saving. I drank too much wine yesterday at lunch. It's a bit of a trap catching up with some friends. I think I'm better off having none when we go anywhere & just having some at home occasionally. I love having really short hair.
I think I have been almost talked into going to Townsville in June with the social golf group. I can't stay home forever & I would most likely enjoy it. I do want to see how I go with all of my March appointments(eyes, heart & knee) first, but we are all meant to make a decision before the end of this month.
There is free live music happening this afternoon less than 5 km from where we live so we will make ourselves go I think or we'll kick ourselves. It's outside & limited numbers & I "purchased" online tickets. I feel really tired again today.

Ha, funny R got a really spirited puppy! I hope he finds him nice things to chew on while teething and hides his shoes and things. It sounds like a good thing that R won't be working so much while training the puppy!

I have the same problem of eating too much of food I shouldn't when out with friends. I need to just stick to salads when going out with them, I think. Too hard to socialize and keep track of calories at the same time!

I hope all goes well with all your appointments. I think you will be so so much happier having your eyes taken care of, and I really hope the cyst on your knee will be something that can be removed and not come back. Sorry you are going through a bunch of health stuff like that. No fun.

Have a lovely time out listening to music. We'll be doing the same here.

Enjoy the music, Cate! I like the idea that the puppy might be training R at the same time R is training him.
If you have a relatively low-scent option for going with the social golfers I'd say go for it. But I suppose you never really know until you get there.

Hi, M. It is funny that R got a pup. The people he got him off also run a really nice kennel & the woman's daughters were really attached to him & they almost kept him. They are going to dog sit him on Monday at their house, so he will be with his sister for the day. R will hopefully be able to buy a car soon. It's hard to go looking when you don't have a car to go look in. I hope one of his friends who really know cars will go with him. Meanwhile, he is trying to get his house pup proof.
Hi, LaMa. The music was really good & the venue was excellent. It was their first night trying something like that & I think they will do more. How wonderful to have a live music venue within 5 km of our house!
I hope that R can get better at not leaving stuff all over the place, but somehow I doubt it. The sooner he gets a car & can take him to puppy school the better.
Finding a mask I can breathe in for hours & hours before then will be important. I think I will go. At least with so many people wearing masks now, I won't stand out. The people who don't play golf go on bus trips doing touristy things so I'll make sure I wear a mask when in a confined space with them.
I think I have decided against buying a new car & we'll make do with what we have for now.
My weight held over the last few days, even with the wine & eating out, so am hoping for a good weigh-in this week.

Maybe starting out wearing a mask at home, or even outside, regularly could help. Half an hour a day or so? I felt restricted by the masks at first but now I often forget to take them off if my ears don't hurt. In your case I think just being in public in the current circumstances might cause a bit of anxiety, which could make a mask feel extra restrictive and wearing it in a safe space could possibly help with that.

Back