Cate's Diary

Well. Today is my 70th birthday. I don't usually say how old I am because I think it can alter how people view you. So many people are ageist. I do feel a little different. I don't feel much different mentally than I did 30 years ago.
The first time I woke up during the night, I got back into bed & kissed my arm & wished myself a happy birthday. I was half asleep of course, but that will be my tone for the next decade. Loving yourself means looking after yourself as best you can. Part of that will be losing about 17 kg. I will do this in a loving, kind way. I will stop calling myself a fat blimp. I want to only put food & drink in my body that will nourish me.
We are heading for Hobart soon for a couple of days & I won't be in the forum much.
I just wanted you all to know that I value my friendship with you. This is an important part of my life. It's a safe and supportive space & is good for me.
Edit: I have had lots of calls & messages already, including from my older brother. It has been lovely already. 🥰

Last edited:
Well. Today is my 70th birthday. I don't usually say how old I am because I think it can alter how people view you. So many people are ageist. I do feel a little different. I don't feel much different mentally than I did 30 years ago.
The first time I woke up during the night, I got back into bed & kissed my arm & wished myself a happy birthday. I was half asleep of course, but that will be my tone for the next decade. Loving yourself means looking after yourself as best you can. Part of that will be losing about 17 kg. I will do this in a loving, kind way. I will stop calling myself a fat blimp. I want to only put food & drink in my body that will nourish me.
We are heading for Hobart soon for a couple of days & I won't be in the forum much.
I just wanted you all to know that I value my friendship with you. This is an important part of my life. It's a safe and supportive space & is good for me.
Edit: I have had lots of calls & messages already, including from my older brother. It has been lovely already. 🥰
Happy Birthday Dear Lovely Lady! I have never in my life thought much about people's age in regard to wanting to interact, forge a friendship, work with them or how I viewed them. When I was in my 20s and 30s I routinely had friends who were significantly older than I was, I realized that now with some of the people I know that I am the older friend!

I hope you have a wonderful time in Hobart and am glad you are having a lovely day!! ❤️
Loving yourself means looking after yourself as best you can . It absolutely does mean that!

Congratulations, wonderful Cate! You're such a kind, caring, funny person, and you deserve ALL the good things :grouphug:

Good for you! I hope you had a great day.

Oh Happy Birthday Cate!
:party:

The first time I woke up during the night, I got back into bed & kissed my arm & wished myself a happy birthday. I was half asleep of course, but that will be my tone for the next decade. Loving yourself means looking after yourself as best you can.

what a wonderful plan on how to spend the next decade.

I was reading up on your diary of days I've missed...sorry to hear about the stress of the operation. Have you decided for sure not to get it? I guess so much would depend on how much those things are bothering you and what the recovery would look like...
I am the same way with medical stuff so yeah, I understand the stress of it all as well.

Anyways big hugs on your birthday. You are such a lovely supportive presence. I hope the day goes beautifully! (or is it went by now--never sure with the time change)

Have a wonderful birthday, Cate! It's been an absolute pleasure knowing you these past years on the forum. I hope you celebrate in style and you reach all your weight goals over the course of this milestone birthday year! xx

Wow! Thank you, Jen, Tru, Llama, Tom, Liza, Vic & Em.
I have really felt the love these last couple of days. I got so many calls & messages & I had a lovely birthday. I have felt really special.
Liza, I think I have decided to at least postpone the operation as I am not in pain & I do feel it's best to only have necessary operations. After just getting back into golf & loving it I don't want to risk it.
Thank you all for your kind words :grouphug:
It's nice to be back home again.
Tomorrow G & I are playing golf.

Here in Austria if they aren't in pain I wouldn't advise anyone to get surgery on their toes. I hope your doctors are better than the ones here but for the people I've seen (selection bias alert; people who are happy don't come see me) who did it for cosmetic reasons only none of them have been happy. Of course if you're suffering beforehand and nothing else helps it's a pretty good bet even if the pain may not disappear completely.

I'm glad you had a good birthday Cate :)
That sounds like a good call to postpone the surgery. I also wouldn't want to risk having to take a break from golf when you've just really gotten back into playing so much again!

I'm glad you had a good birthday Cate :)
Thanks, Liza 😊
That sounds like a good call to postpone the surgery. I also wouldn't want to risk having to take a break from golf when you've just really gotten back into playing so much again!
I think so. I think it would set me back too much.
It’s cold & windy this morning & I’m off to golf 😊

Thanks, Em (&blue). The conditions were atrocious yesterday morning- very strong winds & cold. I only played 7 holes & abandoned. I didn’t have the surrounds on my cart as it doesn’t work well with a passenger. You can’t get the bags in & out or get into the pockets of the bag. I’m going to set mine up for me & leave it that way until Spring.
I still had a good day.
Starting counting calories again today & concentrating on weight loss.

Cate I am so happy that you had a lovely birthday and that you were reminded about just how special you are by all the folks who care about you! I think you are making a good call with seeing if you can just avoid the surgery all together. You are in a 'good place' and enjoying life. No need to derail that, unless you absolutely have too! Glad you had a good day even though it was cold and windy, seems like you earned a cup of tea, a good book and Archie cuddles! ❤️

Good on you setting up the cart for your own comfort. Wannabe passengers (and Bees trying to gift free rides) can get their own carts.

Cate I am so happy that you had a lovely birthday and that you were reminded about just how special you are by all the folks who care about you! I think you are making a good call with seeing if you can just avoid the surgery all together. You are in a 'good place' and enjoying life. No need to derail that, unless you absolutely have too! Glad you had a good day even though it was cold and windy, seems like you earned a cup of tea, a good book and Archie cuddles! ❤️
Thanks, Jen. I think I will pass on surgery. I am in a good place at the moment & I don't want to risk that. I picked up a slight sore throat from the cold on Sunday morning but I think it won't develop into something more. 🤞 I have a book next to me & Archie on my lap 🐶💙
Good on you setting up the cart for your own comfort. Wannabe passengers (and Bees trying to gift free rides) can get their own carts.
I agree, Llama. Having my buggy set up as it is will be good for me. The way the cover is designed it is almost impossible to
get into the pockets of your golf bag (I have emptied mine) & also hard for someone to get their bag in & out. :D
I am really happy with the cover. It will be much warmer.

This morning I have been going over a job application that R has put together. He is applying for a job in in-home aged care. His application is really good & he has excellent references. It would be 3 full days a week & only between Mon & Fri with no night work. He would be good at this. 🤞
I am going to start logging today properly. G is playing golf today & pool tonight so it's a good day to start officially as it's the riskiest for me.
1600 cals a day. 17 kg to lose to get to my happy weight.
Edited at 4.32 pm: I have had a really good day, food-wise & feel like I'm off to a good start. I'll take today as Day 1.
BF- 2 eggs & avocado on GF mixed grain toast.
Lunch-Tuna salad & an orange.
Dinner will be fish & vegetables, followed by a small bowl of yoghurt & fruit.

Last edited:
Fingers crossed that job will be as good for R as he'll be for it.

Well done on day 1!
Thank you, Llama xo

Back