bypass buddy's wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.

moomin girl

hi people I live in the uk and i am 30 and have just met with my surgeon this week to discuss which op to go for ie: band or bypass would love to hear from anyone who has been through a bypass or in the same stage of waiting for a date.
thanks xx

hi, i'm in uk and saw my surgeon last mon (5 oct) luton & dunstable. he gave me a date 7 jan for sleeve gastrectomy, that means milk diet over xmas. i had to do milk diet for 4 weeks about two months ago so i'm not that bothered about it.
my daughter is having bypass but hasn't got her date yet.
we live in northamptonshire is that anywhere near you?
sue.

hi, i'm in uk and saw my surgeon last mon (5 oct) luton & dunstable. he gave me a date 7 jan for sleeve gastrectomy, that means milk diet over xmas. i had to do milk diet for 4 weeks about two months ago so i'm not that bothered about it.
my daughter is having bypass but hasn't got her date yet.
we live in northamptonshire is that anywhere near you?
sue.

hi sue thanks for your reply I am in cornwall, South West so other end to you but its still refreshing to hear from someone in the uk and ruffly the same stage.

I am waiting to meet with another surgeon as they dont offer the bypass at my hospital to i have to be refered to taunton now.
xx

Well for once something has happened quickly I have my date to go to Taunton and its a week wed 28th oct!!
will post more when i have been

Sorry not to have answered you befor now, i was away at the weekend and at work today, so only just got home.
It's good to have a buddy to talk to. (so many questions!)
that's great news about your app. Your well on your way now.
I'm at luton & dunstable hospital tomorrow (20th oct). Its my daughters app, she should be put on the 4 week milk diet to loose 5% of her body weight. It's a very hard diet but i lost 1st 8lb's on it and i'v got to keep it off untill my opp.
Any time you want a chat! Sue.

Sorry not to have answered you befor now, i was away at the weekend and at work today, so only just got home.
It's good to have a buddy to talk to. (so many questions!)
that's great news about your app. Your well on your way now.
I'm at luton & dunstable hospital tomorrow (20th oct). Its my daughters app, she should be put on the 4 week milk diet to loose 5% of her body weight. It's a very hard diet but i lost 1st 8lb's on it and i'v got to keep it off untill my opp.
Any time you want a chat! Sue.

Thanks sue I hope all goes well for your daughter tom. i havent heared of the milk diet before?
its gonna be strange when i meet the surgeon as his name is mahon which was a dodgy cia cop in prison break and me n hubby was mad on prison break im sure im gonna end up staring!
I can't pm yet untill i have posted 5 messages but when i can i will pm you my email
tc kerry x

Hi kerry, i didnt know you have to make 5 messages to pm.
My surgeons name is mr date (pronounced dart-ay) so i had a date to see mr date for a date. Yours sounds a bit irish, mine is from some exotic island some where.
My daughters app was not to good, they say she has a eating disorder (binge eating) so she has to see a theropist to sort that out before they will opp.
The milk diet is to shrink your liver, you will have to do this just before your opp.
Are you going private or are you nhs funded?
I'l try to pm you in a min (i'm not very good on the comp, so it may take a while) sue.

hi all went very well mr mahon turned out to be very non irish and pronounced man!

i have been accepted for the bypass and should hope to be in by feb at latest.
best bit is no conditions as i have allready lost nearly 2kg not sure where from!!!!!!!!!!!!!:smilielol5:

really nice surgeon felt like i got on with him which helps me to feel comfertable.

will add your email susan

Hi, Ladies!!

I'm in the US, but I'm pretty much at the same stage as you both are! I have been in the process since September and hoping to have surgery at the very beginning of April. I finally got on the band wagon two weeks ago and have started the weight loss process!! Can't wait to have the added tool of the smaller stomach!!!

I'm in the US, but I'm pretty much at the same stage as you both are! I have been in the process since September and hoping to have surgery at the very beginning of April. I finally got on the band wagon two weeks ago and have started the weight loss process!! Can't wait to have the added tool of the smaller stomach!!!

Hi thanks for your message,i have been in the process for "2 1/2 years" and finally have my date and fingers crossed its full steam ahead now for march 15th
i found all the little non important appointments take longer once i saw surgeon and had pre op assessment i had my date within about 2 weeks.

I agree it will be so nice to have the chocie of how much to eat taken away and not have to rely on willpower alone.
hope to hear from you soon. xx

Hi Moomin Girl, Hope all went well with your surgery.Did you have it done on the said date? And how are you?
I live in UK as well,i'm age 37 and just started the process to see if i am able to have the Gastric Bypass done.Even the thought of being able to have this done gives me much hope for my future,after having struggled all my life going from diet to diet to try and lose weight.A little light at the end of a very dark tunnel so to speak.
Good luck :waving:

Hi Moomin Girl, Hope all went well with your surgery.Did you have it done on the said date? And how are you?
I live in UK as well,i'm age 37 and just started the process to see if i am able to have the Gastric Bypass done.Even the thought of being able to have this done gives me much hope for my future,after having struggled all my life going from diet to diet to try and lose weight.A little light at the end of a very dark tunnel so to speak.
Good luck :waving:
hi rosabel thanks for your messege yes my surgery went very well and on the 15th of march as planned.
it was a very positive expierience and not nearly as bad as expected.

I arrived at the surgical lounge at 07.30 mon morn and b4 8oclock i was walking to surgery. remeber them getting me settled and telling me the aneshetic was gonna go in now and next thing i was in recovery didnt even feel any pain majorly just discomfort and a tad queasy. that evening i was up and using the bathroom and wed morning i was aloud home.

getting used to the whole new eating regime takes a bit of getting used to but little and often is the key.

i was 145kg before
142kg morning of surgery and today i am 133kg

hope to hear frm you soon x

hi rosabel thanks for your messege yes my surgery went very well and on the 15th of march as planned.
it was a very positive expierience and not nearly as bad as expected.

I arrived at the surgical lounge at 07.30 mon morn and b4 8oclock i was walking to surgery. remeber them getting me settled and telling me the aneshetic was gonna go in now and next thing i was in recovery didnt even feel any pain majorly just discomfort and a tad queasy. that evening i was up and using the bathroom and wed morning i was aloud home.

getting used to the whole new eating regime takes a bit of getting used to but little and often is the key.

i was 145kg before
142kg morning of surgery and today i am 133kg

hope to hear frm you soon x

Hi Moomin Girl, WOW!!!!!!! Well done and congratulations on the weight loss so far. It is a very scary thing to go through i am sure i will be the same,but due to your post,i'm more positive than even before,and hoping it goes as well as its gone for you. We are of similar weight so i know how miserable it is to live like that.Good for you for changing it!
Best Wishes xxx

hi, i'v not posted for a while, but i'm back now with the story of my sleeve gastrectomy.
my date was 7 jan 2010 but was cancelled due to the weather. my new date was 16 feb 2010. iwas first to go down for opp, i can't remember anything from then to when i woke up in h.d.u. apparantly i had an elongated stomach so surgery took longer than expected and i had to spend 3 days in h.d.u. then 2 days on the w.l.s ward.
at home i was on soup and yop drinks for the first 3/4 weeks. then on sloppy food for another 3/4 weeks. i'v just started to eat soft lumpy food.
my weight loss since the opp is 2.5 stone so in total thats 4.5 stone gone forever.
no hunger pains it's fantastic.
i was back at work 3 weeks after opp.
i feel fitter than ever before, and my clothes are droping off me.
it's the best thing thats ever happened to me, a new lease of life.
sue.

hi, i'v not posted for a while, but i'm back now with the story of my sleeve gastrectomy.
my date was 7 jan 2010 but was cancelled due to the weather. my new date was 16 feb 2010. iwas first to go down for opp, i can't remember anything from then to when i woke up in h.d.u. apparantly i had an elongated stomach so surgery took longer than expected and i had to spend 3 days in h.d.u. then 2 days on the w.l.s ward.
at home i was on soup and yop drinks for the first 3/4 weeks. then on sloppy food for another 3/4 weeks. i'v just started to eat soft lumpy food.
my weight loss since the opp is 2.5 stone so in total thats 4.5 stone gone forever.
no hunger pains it's fantastic.
i was back at work 3 weeks after opp.
i feel fitter than ever before, and my clothes are droping off me.
it's the best thing thats ever happened to me, a new lease of life.
sue.

Hi Sue,
WOW thats fantastic news,good for you! These posts are really making me look forward and cant wait to have my surgery done. I can imagine just how good you must be feeling,like a new lease of life and the thought of never gaining that weight back that you have lost must be brilliant.
Well done! :hurray:

hi basketcase

I'm in the US, but I'm pretty much at the same stage as you both are! I have been in the process since September and hoping to have surgery at the very beginning of April. I finally got on the band wagon two weeks ago and have started the weight loss process!! Can't wait to have the added tool of the smaller stomach!!![/QUOTE

hi basketcase, i had gastric bypass surgery 13 years ago, and although i am not recent, i would be happy to be your gastric buddy. i am in michigan. i lost 214 pounds from my high point.
i am not that great with a computer and don't know what pm'ing is or how to do it, i know it stands for private messaging but that is about how far i get. if you can explain to me how to go about it, i would be happy to talk to you and be your gastric buddy. i not only reached my goal but then some.

i was made to feel this was the easy way out and was ashamed to admit it to many but my closest friends. it is NOT and easy way out, in fact the opposite is true. it was a last ditch effort to save my life, and it did, but not without it's problems.

anyone who wants to talk about it, feel free to contact me. i would be happy to meet you. if you haven't gone through it yet, i know several things they don't tell you beforehand and you should be aware of in your decision process, questions to ask your doctor.
also, after 13 years i have started to slowly put weight back on. nothing serious but i can also use someone to help me! hope to make some gastric friends here.
[email link removed]

Last edited by a moderator:
hi people I live in the uk and i am 30 and have just met with my surgeon this week to discuss which op to go for ie: band or bypass would love to hear from anyone who has been through a bypass or in the same stage of waiting for a date.
thanks xx

hi moomin my doctor has just sent the letter to see if i can hav a band fitted,could you tell me how long you waited to hear from them,i live in manchester area thank you and hope everything goes well for you

Hi I live in south yorkshire and had my bapass in Feb 2008 weighing 31st i now weigh 13st and can only tell you this has saved my life but it is tough and I still have problems on many days when eating,a price you have to pay I'm afaid
good luck here if you want to caht
Graham

Hi, I am a new member also from the UK, London...I am just starting out on the road to gastric surgery, I have my first appointment on the 13th December, can I ask, how are you getting by with so little amounts of food, does that hunger go away and more importantly, does the need to look for food all the time, you know, when going out for an evening I would look forward to whats on the menu rather than anything else, does that feeling go away?

Hi ...Hope you don't mind me joining you all?

I was finally accepted onto the waiting list on the 1st Sept 2010...I have been told should be done within 9 months..so for me 2011 truly is my year.....It was not an easy descision (well it was for me) but I have seen doctors and dieticians for 2 years (I jumped over every hurdle they asked me too)...I went to see the surgeon hoping for a Band but he has recommended me to have a bypass as my BMI is over 42...

so glad I found you all as although I have a wonderful husband its is not fair for me to expect him to understand everything...

I am more than happy to have many buddies...looking forward to hearing from you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back