bowflex owners feedback

we're thinking about purchasing a bowflex for our family and we want to see how satisfied people are with their bowflex equipment versus other strength equipment. also feedback on rowing feature. thinking of purchasing the bowflex extreme II, and the ultimate... your responses would be appreciated.:)

well I have the Bowflex Ultimate. Which I no longer Use.

While I enjoyed it when I first started working out, I've come to the personal conclusion that I prefer use the free weights at my Works gym compared to the bowflex.

What are you looking to do? Just a basic work out? Bowflex is fine for that, but it is alot of money.

I would buy it off Ebay if I were you.

But if you want better results find a good gym with a good plan.

I have a free gym at work so I have been using that.

It's not a bad product, certainly proven, but will you use it?

Not recommended

Just look in your local Craigslist or buy/sell classified site, you'll see tons of bowflexes being sold second hand. Why? aside from poor quality (2 major product recalls with related injuries), and poor design (the bow's resistance curve rarely matches the strength curve for most users and most exercises); the whole "bow" thing just doesn't feel natural. It's the brain, you can't help it.

While progressive resistance can lead to slightly better results, bowflex twists the data from studies to make it sound like their equipment is proven to be more effective than traditional weights, that is just not the case.

Want a good example? a 5 foot 9 inch tall person may find the bowflex adequate for the squat exercise, while someone who is 5 foot 2 inches is not able to get the bows to bend all the way, thus reducing the amount of resistance available. Or someone 6 foot 2 inch may find the resistance gets too hard too fast because of their added height, and a limited range of motion.

Then there are the bows. They do lose strength. I've read on Bowflex owner's forums that they have found the rods weaken, from actually testing them. So while you think you are getting stronger, the rods may just be getting weaker.

those are just a few reasons, go to yahoo groups and search for fitnessfraud, there's lots more info there.

Here's my review, read it carefully, don't listen to those who haven't really used one!:http://training.fitness.com/home/crossbow-bowflex-18923.html
You need a bench model for the best results, don't buy the Extreme or Extreme 2 (no rowing) they are upright models and aren't as versatile. Search the net for the best price, don't buy from Bowflex or you'll pay alot more! You can get an Ultimate for $1400 delivered http://www.homefitnessclub.com/buy/Home_Gyms/Bowflex_Ultimate_XTLU?scope=brand&scope_id=22. I'm 5'10" and it's perfect, range of motion is fine. When doing squats, it doesn't matter how tall you are as the cable for the squat station is only 3' or so long, so you won't bend the rods all the way no matter how tall or short you are, it's impossible. But you'll still get around 300lbs resistance for squats (which is more than any other machine in this price range). As far as the rods losing strength, they do break in a little bit, but after the first couple months I haven't noticed any change in resistance for the past 18 months. And yes, I have been gaining strength because I have a community gym I go to once in a while just to mix things up a bit and I am lifting more everytime I go (my Bowflex Ultimate is by far my main workout tool).

Last edited:
Extreme II

Well I have the extreme 2 and am very very happy with it!
I modified mine to allow for 510 lbs (added one set of 50 lbs rods beyond the rated max of 410 lbs).
I am 210 lbs and use the max weight for standing low back extensions, dead lifts, and leg presses (another easy mod, using the leg press belt and a low seat on rollers).
I have found the unit to be safe, fast, and high quality.
I have no spotter (none needed).
Don't bother worrying over the rods not being exactly the same as the rating, just be progressive!
I don't see the bows as better or worse than free weights, just different.
The machine is fast, smooth, easy to use, and the magic for me is the fact that I DO use it!
I just like working with it better than free weights (I have those too).
You can go to failure on ALL moves safely.
I've used mine for 2-3 times a week for 3yrs so far with no signs of wear and tear as yet.
I have used free weights / total gym / and nordic flex gold, but I am content now with the X2.
This is the longest and best effort I have made to date with no end in sight!

i have a like new bowflex sport for sale at $450 or best offer, paid $899 about 3 months ago. it works good but knowone here uses it, so its just taking up space. located in old bridge, nj. for pick-up, shipping cost is way too much for this thing.

Well I can tell you that for our family it has made a huge difference for us. We were not the type of folks that would go work out at the gym. My wife had a gym membership and rarely used it and I just would not go at all.

We purchased the Bowflex Ultimate 2 this summer and got it in August. We started using it and have been using the machine about 3-4 times per week each since then. After using the machine for a couple of months we wanted/needed something better for cardio so we purchased a Schwinn Recumbant Bike and use that for all of our cardio needs now.

I am sure that you can get better results from free weights, but really, unless you are trying to be a body builder (which we aren't) then really to me, what matters is that you actually workout. Having the Bowflex in the comfort of our basement allows me to work out regularly without ever having to leave the house.

At some point I can see myself getting a gym membership, but that won't be happening anytime soon. If you are anything like me, then having the Bowflex in the house, just might be enough to make you work out.

-Eric

Used2befat

I have a question for you. How did you motify your Extreme 2 to 510lbs? I've found 410 is also a light weight for exercises. Also once motified did you find any problems with the Bowflex? Was it too heavy for the machine? I appreciate you input. Thanks!

My Bowflex Experience

I've been using a Power Pro (one of the older models) for about 8 years. My brother has the Ultimate and really likes it. The advantages of the Bowflex machines are their light weight and fairly compact design, which makes moving them around very easy. They are also reasonably safe and can be used without a spotter (unlike some other machines or free weights).

The biggest disadvantage of the Bowflex is cost. IMO you can also progress faster with free weights over the Bowflex if you are trying to sculpt your body. I really doubt that the guys on the Bowflex commercial got their bodies with the Bowflex alone, but the Bowflex could maintain their shape. The Bowflex is definitely more fun (if you can call it fun) than free weights IMO. The other thing about the Bowflex is that it is technique sensitive, and you have to spend time learning how to use it, but that applies to other machines and free weights also.

If you don't need the portability factor, and you have a spotter handy, you could save some money on another machine or free weights, but used properly the Bowflex (or a couple of sacks of rocks tied on the ends of a pole) will get the job done.:jump1:

I purchased an Extreme 2 roughly two months ago. Though I haven't been using it long enough to be able to give an opinion on long term results, I have been very impressed with the following:
  • Quality of Construction
  • Ease of Moving Between Exercises
  • Quality of Reference Manual
  • Overall Workout
  • Results To-Date

My main goal is to strengthen and maintain my core. I'm not interested in getting ripped or cut, or in bulking up. I'm just tired of paying for days after moderate to rigorous physical activity, and was looking for a tool that would help me strengthen those muscles that I use/need in my day to day life. I believe I've found the right tool in the Extreme 2...along with a good treadmill and a heavy bag.

I have a question for you. How did you motify your Extreme 2 to 510lbs? I've found 410 is also a light weight for exercises. Also once motified did you find any problems with the Bowflex? Was it too heavy for the machine? I appreciate you input. Thanks!
I made a "U" bracket to extend the rod box, notched to hold an added set of 50 lb rods (the 410 lb upgrade set).
Works great, no problems.
I did have to drill and tap the rod box to screw it on.

If you want to get tone and little bit of size > Bowflex
Wanna get big > gym or free weights.
I had bowflex for 2 yrs and never felt like I had good workout, I do the same workouts in the gym as I did on bowflex but after I leave the gym I cant move after I leave there.

I am a bowflex owner and have given some consideration to a few issues. And let me say up top I'm quite happy with my bowflex and people at work are standing in line to buy my old bowflex as I just bought a new Extreme 2 SE and got it assembled yesterday. I had one of the old black power models with lat tower and bench.

Let me address some of the negatives people toss out.

"It's just for toning not body building". Hogwash. I started using my old bowflex after years of doing nothing with it in my basement. Some of the exercises I can now do with twice or three times the resistance I was able to do when I started. Now is that because my muscle is toned? Or is that because I built it up some? Or is it both? And who really cares? Not everyone has the goal of being the gym muscle boy.

The goal of most of us average people out here is to go from being lethargic to in shape. I have a set of free weights under my basement stairs that I'm never going to use. I've got a schwinn recumbant stationary bike I'm using for aerobic workouts and a bowflex I'm using for weight resistance. If these machines help me to get motivated and to get on them and to work this body....then they are worth every Penny I pay for them and I don't really care if free weights are more effective than a Bowflex. Free weights for me are far LESS effective because I wont use them. Get it?

The good Bowlfex Bench models are a bit pricy. The bottom end one, I don't think lets you detach the leg workout attachment. So I went for an Xtreme 2 SE for my new Bowflex. I'm not worried about anything I lose in not having a bench. The Extreme allows you to do a lot of variations on exercises and there are always to do similar exercises using the extreme. The lower cable position allows me to get on the floor in front of the machine and do some of the stuff I have been doing on the bench.

I'm not particularly concerned about being able to do every single exercise one can think of anyway. What I'm concerned about is continuing to lose weight and continuing to exercise my body. I was 308 pounds and doing nothing but sitting on the couch and sitting in cube.

Now I'm down 52 pounds in 7 months. I'm doing 30 minutes every other day on a bike peddling against resistance for 8 miles. I'm using a schwinn recumbant stationary in my living room. So one day it's Aerobic and the next day it's the Bowflex and strength training in the basement. I can lift more, I can run up stairs and down and no longer be gasping for breath. I can walk a fast mile and still be able to carry on. And I'm down 52 pounds.

If you can get motivated to USE your bowflex then it's probably a good buy. If you want to build the perfect body builders body....then maybe you are better off with free weights and the free weight accessories...they are less expensive than many bowflex models.

But for someone like me that wants to build his muscles up a bit and lose weight, and can't get motivated to even pick up a free weight....the Bowflex or similar machine is a good answer.

Quite frankly, I also like the looks and the price tag on those Total Workout machines that compete with the total gym. The total gym 1700 seems a bit cheap to me compared to a similar priced total workout machine.

Its useful, but not for how much it will set you back. If you do use it, you'll need to buy the last set of rods that it doesn't come with (100lb).

I used to use it a lot, but now I only use it for a few exercises. IMHO, some dumbells, a door mount pullup bar, stability ball, a bench, and resistance bands are all you need for a good home gym setup. Barbell and squat rack if you are serious about lifting. All of that can be bought for cheaper than a bow flex and allows for many many many many more exercises, along with giving you better range of motion and natural movements that the bowflex does not offer.

While it does work, the price is simply not worth the benefit. I use it for a whopping 3 exercises and only because I don't own a barbell set.

I have posted on this topic before and won't rehash what has been said allready. The cost is really irrelevant as its not secret and if you are asking about it you are ok with it. People like to say it it to expensive, well I spent 1200 on a bicycle which would have sounded insane to me 2 years ago. To be honest I would recomment the least expensive model, the Blaze. Combine that with a set of spinlock dumbells and you will have a great workout room. The unit IMHO a high quality and effective machine. Certainy it would not replace a full stocked gym for bodybuilding. Yet it is far safer than free wieght when working out alone.

The one thing I caution you about it it's size. You can fold up the Blaze, but it is a pain in the ass and still takes up a lot of room. Second buy the weight upgrade, at least the 100 lbs, right off the bat.

The other comment I will make is that you can do all sorts of excercises with it that are not officially recognized. A little creativity will give you some outstanding isolation excercises. I am not going to give examples as I am not willing to be liable if someone fails to use common sense.

I have been using mine since april, along with my running shoes and road bike, and I have lost over 40 lbs. I feel great, and still have a blast making those bows bend.

Here's my review, read it carefully, don't listen to those who haven't really used one!:http://training.fitness.com/home/crossbow-bowflex-18923.html
You need a bench model for the best results, don't buy the Extreme or Extreme 2 (no rowing) they are upright models and aren't as versatile.

Thanks for the review, but just one correction. I have an Extreme II, and it can absolutely be used for rowing...standard or crossover. Pic below is from the owners manual and shows seated crossover rows.

2862328819_f209f7a553.jpg

Blow Flex Select Tech

Well what can i say bought these new online upon opening and set up one of the plastic coated plates fell off bar ,Ok next one of the selectors always gets stuck called Blow Flex says if you dont buy from them directly ,or one of their retail outlets no warranty policy will be granted, OK<<So I purchased another (plastic made in CHINA handle) after 3, almost 4 weeks of waiting received handle, well this bar was so tight it would not seat in plate base,,, so I called Blow Flex again dude said to take pictures and send I did, no answer I reported this to Better Business Bureau and am waiting for reply, ABSOLUTELY STAY AWAY FROM THIS CHINA PLASTIC GARBAGE, HORRIBLE COMPANY SUPPORT, GOING TO GO WITH GOLDS GYM next time

Back