Being a Princess and all...

M2M

...and having a tiara to wear occasionally, I had to post in this brand spanking new forum :)

I think I'm going to like this forum. I had considered asking Sean for a corner specifically for the "professionals" where people could post their questions but hadn't gotten around to it.

So - I have a question.
My calories have been too low - I know that, and have been struggling to get them up. There's a psychological wall from having been losing weight for a year that makes it very hard to push the envelope of my caloric range.

I'm willing to start changing that.

I also know my exercise routine could use some work - and I don't know where to start.

This is what I have to work with:
Trails for walking inter mixed with jogging
Park bench for exercising
3lb hand weights
about an hour and a half a day to devote.

I don't plan on giving up my walks (5mph), I love them, but I'm willing to change things around to incorporate other stuff.

Any suggestions?

-What is your current diet in detail (caloric intake, sample menu)?
-Are you willing to purchase more hand weights or equipment?
-How long have you been in a deficit?
-What are your current stats?

Hi Leigh,

First I want to explain "psychological wall". I got a PM from someone this morning conerned about that.

I don't consider myself having an eating disorder - I've just gotten very comfortable eating pretty much the same things and I know how many calories are in what I eat. It's just very rare that I ever hit the higher end of my caloric range - when you're used to eating a specific amount, it's hard to remember, imagine and implement something new (like the fact that we need to eat more sometimes to lose weight.

I'm getting closer to my goal - and my goal has always been to be fit and healthy and being thinner has been the side effect of that goal - if I'm not doing it 'right' I'd like to learn - especially, considering I think a lot of people around here do it very similarly to me.

So...my stats...
-What is your current diet in detail (caloric intake, sample menu)?

This Week:
(1st set of numbers is suggested range by sparkpeople)
Calories Range (1370 - 1720) 1,291, 1,059, 1,185, 1,260, 1,457, 918, 1,037
Fat: (30 - 67) 25 23 33 39 55 30 24
Carbohydrates: (154 - 280) 212 161 126 170 148 128 142
Protein: (34 - 150) 80 76 102 67 98 49 77
Sodium, (1200 - 2400) 1,658, 2,435, 2,245, 2,201, 2,903, 3,079, 2,351
Fiber, total dietary: (25 - 35) 39 26 12 21 18 25 23
Potassium, (2000 - 3500) 4,706, 2,092, 1,286, 2,164, 1,141, 1,456
Cholesterol: (0 - 250) 52 97 222 80 138 69 72

-Are you willing to purchase more hand weights or equipment?

I am - but not right away - probably closer to Spring.

-How long have you been in a deficit?

One year, 2 days :) Although for the month of December, I stopped tracking calories.

-What are your current stats?

41 y/o/f
SW 257
CW 182
GW 155 (or thereabouts)
BF% - No Clue, I've always been strong and have had lots of muscle.

Last edited:
Thank you for the informed response.

Diet: You need to up your calories that is for sure. The problem comes in that if you do this the wrong way then yes weight regain could be a possibility.I am not going to lie or sugar coat it. I have specific methods I use with clients to do this and make it all work for them where they either maintain weight during the increase or lose it. It can be a long process and it takes a lot of work on their part. This is not something you can do while walking with 3lb hand weights. Raising your metabolism to a whole new level and shocking the system (in a healthy way) is what needs to be achieved to get your metabolism rolling again.

See you can slowly increase you caloric amount, but if you don't as well increase your energy output the body doesn't play catch up fast enough to make up for it. You have been in a deficit for so long that your BMR has dropped to reserve energy. The goal is to raise it to a normal level so that a higher amount of calories is still a deficit and you are working within a normal range.

Routine: Everyone does yes work at their own pace. Though you may not be looking at entering a triathlon, the power walks aren't going to cut it anymore either. You need to find a increase that you feel comfortable with doing, but that will produce the result you need. You need to get that heart rate up more, it is a good thing! You need to throw in some solid resistance training in there. A core ball, a few good hand weights and you are set to go. With those items you can make a solid routine that will push your body to the new level it needs to be at. Include lots of compound exercises. Hit it 2 days a week starting off then up to 3. Do a full body work out with the right rep and set scheme.

Overall: If you really want to change, if you want to take your body to the next level, have it be a lower weight but healthy, have strength in your bones, avoid the pit falls of a slowed metabolism it really is as simple as training smart, eating smart, and resting smart. I think the only physiological wall that you really have to break down is how hard you are willing to work and what kind of focus you can put through towards it. If you stay the way you are then you will stay exactly how you are. IF that is what you want then hey thats great, but if you want to change then you are going to have to change.

...and having a tiara to wear occasionally, I had to post in this brand spanking new forum :)

I think I'm going to like this forum. I had considered asking Sean for a corner specifically for the "professionals" where people could post their questions but hadn't gotten around to it.

So - I have a question.
My calories have been too low - I know that, and have been struggling to get them up. There's a psychological wall from having been losing weight for a year that makes it very hard to push the envelope of my caloric range.

I'm willing to start changing that.

I also know my exercise routine could use some work - and I don't know where to start.

This is what I have to work with:
Trails for walking inter mixed with jogging
Park bench for exercising
3lb hand weights
about an hour and a half a day to devote.

I don't plan on giving up my walks (5mph), I love them, but I'm willing to change things around to incorporate other stuff.

Any suggestions?

Have you hit a plateau?

Hi Leigh, Thank you for your response - I'm going to go over it again and will get back to you in a bit - I have to get a few things done around here before I can do a long reply, but I wanted you to know I appreciate your time in responding to me.

Steve, I haven't hit a plateau per se. Although I bounced around a bit in November & December.

On 21 Nov I hit 185-6 and was still there on Dec 1st, and around 187 on Dec 31st (I did not count calories in Dec)

I'm currently bouncing between 182-184 (this morning 183.6 before walking 182.3 after walking).

I think what has gotten to me is that I know my calories are too low especially with the amount of cardio (I've heard one of the fitness guys call it "crappy cardio - but it's been my cardio nonetheless).

It's hard to go from KNOWING I should eat more, to actually doing it. I do not want my metabolism to get slower - I need all the support I can get from it, so I know I should make changes to it before I hit a serious stalling point.

I'm in this for the long haul, I WILL get fit, and if I'm not doing it the 'right' way, there's no better time like the present to change that :)

Diet: You need to up your calories that is for sure. The problem comes in that if you do this the wrong way then yes weight regain could be a possibility.I am not going to lie or sugar coat it. I have specific methods I use with clients to do this and make it all work for them where they either maintain weight during the increase or lose it. It can be a long process and it takes a lot of work on their part. This is not something you can do while walking with 3lb hand weights. Raising your metabolism to a whole new level and shocking the system (in a healthy way) is what needs to be achieved to get your metabolism rolling again.

OK - so I originally thought that I would increase my calories slowly over the next couple of weeks, maybe this week shooting for 1200-1300, and go up a bit every day.

What I would be interested in knowing is how to figure the right levels of protein to carb to fats...

It was mentioned that I might need up to 140g of protein a day - I managed to get 100+ once last week.

See you can slowly increase you caloric amount, but if you don't as well increase your energy output the body doesn't play catch up fast enough to make up for it.

So - while raising the calories, I might have a short term weight gain if my exercising isn't enough to expend those new calories...? (Just clarifying for my head) :)

You need to find a increase that you feel comfortable with doing, but that will produce the result you need. You need to get that heart rate up more, it is a good thing!

That I have been trying do by increasing the speed of my walks - lately, 3 days a week I go longer at a steady pace and every other day, I walk:run every 2:1 (minutes wise).

You need to throw in some solid resistance training in there. A core ball, a few good hand weights and you are set to go. With those items you can make a solid routine that will push your body to the new level it needs to be at. Include lots of compound exercises. Hit it 2 days a week starting off then up to 3. Do a full body work out with the right rep and set scheme.

OK, then, this is something I will have to shoot for Spring when I have more expendable income. What size hand weights do you recommend?

I think the only physiological wall that you really have to break down is how hard you are willing to work and what kind of focus you can put through towards it.

No, I don't think that's an issue - I'm willing to do the work and stay focused. I've proved that to myself this past year.

The psychological wall I was talking about was getting past the idea of low calories and lots of walking/jogging was going to do what I needed it to do :)

If you stay the way you are then you will stay exactly how you are. IF that is what you want then hey thats great, but if you want to change then you are going to have to change.

I'm willing to make changes as my goal is to be healthy & fit
:)

Again, many thanks for your response & time!

Total calorie intake is very important however what is also important is macronutrient timing. What does a typical day of dieting look for you M2M?

Be specific with foods consumed and the time of day they are consumed. This will help us better critique your approach. :)

Be specific with foods consumed and the time of day they are consumed. This will help us better critique your approach. :)

OK - I'll try to be specific...
A typical day (a little on the full day actually, but not far off from a typical diet)

7:30 Pria Complete Nutrition Bar: 1 serving 170 Cal 22 Carbs, 5 Fat, 11 Protein
9-10:30 - Walk (generally) 5 miles in one hour and about 15 minutes of exercises I've pulled out of the hat and a park bench
10:45 Banana, fresh, 1 extra small 75, 19, 0, 1
Kashi GoLean High Protein & High Fiber Cereal, 1 cup 140, 30, 1, 13
Milk, nonfat, 0.5 cup 43, 6, 0, 4
12:30-1:00 Tuna - Starkist Albacore In Water, 6 oz 140, 0, 2, 30
Best Foods, Reduced Fat Mayonnaise, 2 tbsp 50, 4, 4, 0
Peppercinis & dill pickle relish tablespoon of each, cals not counted
Pears, fresh, 1 pear, small (approx 3 per lb) 82, 21, 1, 1
3:00 Baby Cut Carrots, 6 oz 80 18 0 2
6:00 Laughing Cow Light Creamy French Onion 1 wedge, 2 serving 70 2 4 5
7:30-8:30 Romaine Lettuce (salad), 1.5 cup, shredded 12 2 0 1
Cucumber (peeled), 0.25 medium 6 1 0 0
Apples, fresh, 0.5 medium (2-3/4" dia) (approx 3 per lb) 41 11 0 0
Croutons, seasoned, 0.25 cup 47 6 2 1
Red Ripe Tomatoes, 0.5 medium whole (2-3/5" dia) 13 3 0 1
Hidden Valley, Fat Free Ranch Dressing, 2 tbsp 30 6 0 0
Chicken Cordon Bleu (Antonelli's), 0.5 serving 210 1 12 25

Total cal 1209
Carbs 143
Fat 31
Protein 95
H20 - anywhere from 64 to 96 oz per day.

(I hope this comes out legible)

Last edited:
Was there anything else I should add?

And fwiw, on days I lack in green vegies, I try and make up for the next day or so. I also typically have ground up carrots & broccoli that I sprinkle on salads - I don't add it to the calorie count since I don't know how to break down the the quantity.

Can the pro's post a resume because I really don't want to talk to someone that has never had a weight problem in their life and just went to school because it was a cool way to make money................. It's kinda like the person talking to you on the other end of the internet... You just don't know anything about them. Do they know what they are talking about or just sitting on the net typing what they read on another site.

Signed

untrusting.................

Hi Randy,
I think what I appreciate, is hearing the different input, getting advice and seeing where and how it can work with what I'm doing.

Quite a few of the "professionals" around here have been offering pretty sound advice (sound being advice that makes sense to me of course) ;)

I also don't think it's necessary for everyone to have been on the high end of the scales to understand what bodies need. I think some of these guys have spent a great deal of time learning about fitness and nutrition and I'm interested in what they have to suggest.

It's all good :)

Can the pro's post a resume because I really don't want to talk to someone that has never had a weight problem in their life and just went to school because it was a cool way to make money................. It's kinda like the person talking to you on the other end of the internet... You just don't know anything about them. Do they know what they are talking about or just sitting on the net typing what they read on another site.

Signed

untrusting.................

This, and I kid you not, is the most utterly ridiculous statement I have read on an internet forum based on fitness in my entire life.

So someone who understands the human body and how it works, BIG or SMALL, can only give YOU advice if they, themselves, were big to begin with. I feel bad for you.

This, and I kid you not, is the most utterly ridiculous statement I have read on an internet forum based on fitness in my entire life.
Hummm I bruised an ego......

I don't speak for everyone giving advice. I'm sure the good ones are here but some of the "pro's" I have met around this forum tell you exactly what you need to do and to make it easier just buy my book or plan or pill for 19.95. This has sent my guard way up....... It's kinda like the don't eat a skinny chefs cooking. Most of the people I have met that have never been on the high end of the weight just talk like it so easy and just do it. It gets me wondering if they were throwing up every other meal or using the steroids option to be as they are. It kinda makes you wondner if they never had a problem; where did the advice come from? I guess a few bad people around just make it rough to take new advice..... The good thing I can say is most of those that you aren't sure about aren't around very long....

Hummm I bruised an ego......

I don't speak for everyone giving advice. I'm sure the good ones are here but some of the "pro's" I have met around this forum tell you exactly what you need to do and to make it easier just buy my book or plan or pill for 19.95. This has sent my guard way up....... It's kinda like the don't eat a skinny chefs cooking. Most of the people I have met that have never been on the high end of the weight just talk like it so easy and just do it. It gets me wondering if they were throwing up every other meal or using the steroids option to be as they are. It kinda makes you wondner if they never had a problem; where did the advice come from? I guess a few bad people around just make it rough to take new advice..... The good thing I can say is most of those that you aren't sure about aren't around very long....

So, if you, God forbid, got cancer.... you would not get treated by a doctor unless he/she had cancer him or herself?

Bruised ego? You would have to try a lot harder.

Just trying to understand your logic.

You know, one of the most important lessons I have learned in my life so far, is making generalizations based on past experiences can lead you into a heap of trouble. Not saying you could get in trouble with me, or this forum, but I think your logic is a little off. OK, a lot off. But who am I to judge.

Last edited:
Steve none if this directed at you, you're just the one my statement seemed to offend. More people have gotten into trouble taking advice from the internet. Does a doctor have to have cancer to understand it????? no; but I would like them to have had experience first hand with it. A chapter in a text book is open to the interpretation of the individual. Do you have the experience and knowledge? yea probably. Do you act like a "pro"? Not really seeing it.....

Steve none if this directed at you, you're just the one my statement seemed to offend. More people have gotten into trouble taking advice from the internet. Does a doctor have to have cancer to understand it????? no; but I would like them to have had experience first hand with it. A chapter in a text book is open to the interpretation of the individual. Do you have the experience and knowledge? yea probably. Do you act like a "pro"? Not really seeing it.....

Are you paying me for my advice? NO. Do I owe you any level of respect because of this? NO.

Do I care about what you think of me? Absolutely NOT.

But it is people like you that make me not want to hand information out for free on the web. If you really want help with your fitness/nutrition, and you want to have faith, go to a freaking "pro" that you can sit down with face to face and you pay for their service. If that makes you feel better, fantastic.

I really do wish you luck.

And sorry for the hijacking of this thread.

Do you act like a "pro"? Not really seeing it.....

Not that I agree with this, but I would think that the behavior expectations of a professional trying to get money out of you in person would be just a tad bit different than the same guy giving free advice on the internet. :D From what I have seen, Steve hasn't exactly tried to get you to pay for his services has he? So what's the problem? Why can't you just be thankful that somebody is volunteering their personal time for your benefit? If you don't like the advice that you see, just ignore it. Problem solved. This is the internet, you're going to see opinions that cover every single possibility, and it's not person to person, so rational people would take everything they read with a grain of salt anyway, regardless of who it comes from. Are you having a problem with this or something? Most of your statements I could care less about, but I really see no need for Steve to have to feel like he should defend himself at all.

You know, I was actually going to delete my last post. I am in a bad mood, hence my posts toward you. So I apologize.

For future reference though, I would not be demanding of "proof of knowledge" when you are not being charged for the advice. Possibly, I would not have taken offense to what you originally posted, had you privately messaged me. That would have been a little more "professional" IMO.

And, I know that you were not directing your question directly toward me. That said, I have spent the last week really "trying" to make a difference on this site. Many have been great, and I love it here. But the few who "question" intentions really irk me. Hence my response.

So it was an accumulation of the doubters, not you directly.

Good evening.

OK - so I originally thought that I would increase my calories slowly over the next couple of weeks, maybe this week shooting for 1200-1300, and go up a bit every day.

What I would be interested in knowing is how to figure the right levels of protein to carb to fats...

It was mentioned that I might need up to 140g of protein a day - I managed to get 100+ once last week.

So - while raising the calories, I might have a short term weight gain if my exercising isn't enough to expend those new calories...? (Just clarifying for my head) :)

That I have been trying do by increasing the speed of my walks - lately, 3 days a week I go longer at a steady pace and every other day, I walk:run every 2:1 (minutes wise).

OK, then, this is something I will have to shoot for Spring when I have more expendable income. What size hand weights do you recommend?

No, I don't think that's an issue - I'm willing to do the work and stay focused. I've proved that to myself this past year.

The psychological wall I was talking about was getting past the idea of low calories and lots of walking/jogging was going to do what I needed it to do :)

I'm willing to make changes as my goal is to be healthy & fit
:)

Again, many thanks for your response & time!

Okay (and I also looked at you food intake). Basically it breaks down something like this...

Your BMR (if bed ridden) SHOULD be roughly 1500 calories. Since you aren't engaging in heavy activity, your activity+BMR bring you to about 2025.
Now since you have been eating so low you have likely dropped your BMR as well as altered some other weight loss factors (leptin and so forth). The overall goal should be to up that BMR level to where it should be, allowing you to take in more food, adding in better and more focused exercise, thus all allowing your to be more fit and lose the weight you want.

Raising calories does not have to come with weight gain, but it will if you do follow the right structure to use this to your advantage. It involves resistance training, interval training (not HIIT, just interval training), and the right ratios.
Whether this people think we are "professionals" or not this is what I work with 70% of the time in my field right now. I wish I got more over eaters that have been chowing down on KFC, that makes it easy.

The simple of it is eating more will yes help raise your metabolism but yes you could gain weight in the process. If you want to do it the best way and in a way that keep the weight off or even helps you lose weight then let me know. You stated spring as a start time so that is why I am not sure how much further I can take this at the moment with your given materials and abilities. In short not exactly sure what you are wanting and willing to do. I am also not aware if you have any medical issues or concerns and so forth. In general our guidelines are basic. It would be unethical (not cost efficient) to give exact plans laid out for you.

On you own behalf ask yourself
What am I able to physically do?
What kind of boundaries am I willing to push past?
Can I give into eating more calories?
What is holding me back from doing so?
Can I add aggressive strength training?
Can I turn the walk/jog into jog/run?

Back