Alexis: The Next Generation

Ouch on the car, indeed! The car I just bought off my sister-in-law is a 2009 Toyota Camry, that has done about 214K km. Our mechanic says you can keep them going forever.

Ouch on the car issues: let's hope it isn't as expensive as you fear.
Oy... It's gonna be a fat bundle... but still cheaper than buying another car.

Oh no, sorry to hear about the car. Hope you get it sorted.
It's still in progress, but just a hassle all around. Thankful for a good mechanic though!

Ouch on the car, indeed! The car I just bought off my sister-in-law is a 2009 Toyota Camry, that has done about 214K km. Our mechanic says you can keep them going forever.
It's true! I've driven this car for close to 4 years and 50k miles. No car payments, maintenance only. All costs factored in (including maintenance I'd need to spend on any car - oil changes, tires, brakes, etc) I spend about $120 per month. It's definitely cheaper than a car payment.

I've officially passed the half way point! 20 weeks on Monday and so far, so good. No cause for concern on any of my tests so far, which is a miracle.

Food is what it is. I'm trying to make an effort to focus on protein and veggies. It's a challenge to prioritize healthy food because I'm traveling between three different locations (NJ, Manhattan, and Delaware) and feeling like I'm always in flux. Just today, I made up a "protein counter" for myself with a list of foods and their protein count so that I can us that as a quick reference.
My daily goal is 89 grams of protein.

Protein Counts:
Eggs, 1 each = 6g
Cottage cheese, 1/2 cup = 6g
Yogurt/Kefir, 1/2 cup = 6g
Cheese, 1 oz = 7g
Turkey, 1 oz = 8g
Beef, 1 oz = 7g

Tonight's dinner is Saladworks Fiesta Salad (Protein = 38 g) and a roll with butter (Protein = 4g)
Total protein for today is around 60 grams. It's a struggle to get to 89!

21w 1d today... Wt = 155
Had an ultrasound appt and was able to bring my husband. Cool that he was able to see the kiddo on the big screen. Also went out for diner breakfast afterwards, which was my favorite part.

Got told that I need to drink more water, which is true. I carry around a giant 72 oz Hydrojug, but I haven't actually been drinking as much as I ought.

Exercise has been pretty consistent at 30 mins cardio and about 30 mins of strength.

Watching the ultrasound together would have been lovely :beating:
Google tells me that "When you're pregnant, you need more water than the average person in order to form amniotic fluid, produce extra blood, build new tissue, carry nutrients, enhance digestion, and flush out wastes and toxins." That makes sense & if you think of it that way it's an incentive to drink more water.
It's a challenge to prioritize healthy food
Make it a priority, hon. I'm sure you're up to that challenge.

Watching the ultrasound together would have been lovely :beating:
Google tells me that "When you're pregnant, you need more water than the average person in order to form amniotic fluid, produce extra blood, build new tissue, carry nutrients, enhance digestion, and flush out wastes and toxins." That makes sense & if you think of it that way it's an incentive to drink more water.

Make it a priority, hon. I'm sure you're up to that challenge.
OMG it's true... all about having a strategy. I fill up my 72 oz water bottle the night before, then the following day I pour and drink one glass an hour while I work. It's 1PM and I've drunk 50 ozs so far. This works pretty well for me.

Congratulations on reaching the halfway point and that all tests are good. It's such an exciting journey for you. You seem to be coping exceedingly well. I'm sure if I was pregnant, I would be complaining most of the time on here, haha.

Congratulations on reaching the halfway point and that all tests are good. It's such an exciting journey for you. You seem to be coping exceedingly well. I'm sure if I was pregnant, I would be complaining most of the time on here, haha.
lol - Speaking of complaints... oh my goodness. Probably the number one thing to NEVER EVER SAY to a pregnant woman, especially one who's tired, is "better sleep now because you know, once the baby comes..." STFU! SLEEP DOESN'T WORK LIKE THAT! And just never say that. Ugh... /rant over.

And it stands to reason that I WAS TIRED so definitely did not need to hear that... AND I, you know, had work to do, so it wasn't like I could just take a nap... bleh. But as soon as I could, I took a nap and felt better.

At my last doc appt I clocked in at 156. Doesn't feel great to be gaining weight, but I've landed somewhere between "It's bound to happen" and "stay as active/healthy as possible to keep it to a healthy minimum."

I log my food every day in MyFitnessPal and I'm eating about 1700 - 1800 cals per day. Sometimes more, rarely less.
I aim to move at least 30 mins or more per day. I'm also doing strength training moves to tone my core and try to prevent diastasis recti, if possible. My mom had it pretty bad so I wouldn't be surprised if I ended up with it too but will do what I can to stave it off.
  • Saturday I went for a 4 mile walk with gym time and logged 1554 cals. I hunkered down at my desk and did some work for my personal business. Husband was working too, so it was nice to have the company.
  • Sunday was a recovery day for both of us. I took a leisurely 2 mile walk and logged about 2035 calories
  • Monday (today) I was fairly busy at work, so didn't make time to get to the gym. Logged 1,740 total calories.

Calories are fine, I suppose. I try to stay away from processed food as much as possible although I am definitely eating too much sugar. I feel so much better when I train at the gym regularly, so I am aiming schedule in more exercise.

Now chilling and watching Better Call Saul.

Still drinking about 72 oz of water a day. I constantly feel like I'm going to burst! lol. But I'm getting it done.

Tuesday cals = 1718
Exercise = 30 mins walking / 2 miles
Toning

It sounds like you are doing well trying to be as healthy & fit as you can. I hadn't heard of diastasis recti before. I wish someone had told me when I was pregnant to make sure that I didn't get constipated when I was due. I suffered agony afterwards & it could have been easily rectified. Everything gets so squished inside. Well done on drinking all of that water. I'm sure that will help in lots of ways.

Thanks, Cate. It's true: there are so many helpful remedies to common ailments. In order to stay regular, I'm taking close to 2,000mgs of Magnesium and it seems to be doing the trick!

Happy Monday - I'm 23 weeks today. Feeling enormous. The past two weeks my weight has shot up.
Spent the weekend in my childhood home cleaning out the basement from my eBay inventory. I have a small store (about 314 items listed) and I'm drastically downsizing and moving all my inventory into Manhattan. I unlisted and donated about 200 items over the weekend and it felt wonderful to free up the space in my mom's basement. The downside is that spending all the time in that dust and damp did NOT play well with my allergies. I woke up feeling stuffy and swollen.

Thankful for an understanding workplace. I messaged my boss when I woke up to let him know that I was feeling terrible and his first response was to rest up if I needed it. So I did. Just had a totally slow day and now feeling much better for it. Only downside is that I ended up eating close to half the fridge as part of my "resting". I took my vitamins: prenatal, Iron, D, and probiotic, had a cup of coffee, then at the following:
  • grapefruit
  • ¾ cherry danish
  • English muffin toasted with butter
  • 1 hard boiled egg
  • 1 cannoli
  • 1 light and fit yogurt
  • ¾ baguette
  • Bite of Levain oatmeal raisin cookie
  • 2 servings cheezits extra toasty.

That’s about 1600 cals of food in about 3 hours.

It felt like an old fashioned binge and I kinda scared myself a little bit. I definitely don't want to return to that pattern, so I'm aiming to draw a line under that and move on.

Triggers were certainly feeling groggy and clogged from allergies, but not sure why that led to bingeing. We also had a good deal of delicious food in the fridge, so that didn't help much either.

Plan of action = Meditation before eating anything first thing in the morning. It's a huge help when I stick to this habit. Must remember how good I feel when I meditate first thing.

Finished yesterday with some raspberries, popcorn, and a half slice of pizza. To set myself up well this morning, I put out my gym clothes and wrote out fitness affirmations.
  • I enjoy meditating before I eat
  • Food fuels my life
  • I decide what foods I eat.
  • I eat healthy, living foods high in protein and fiber.
  • I love the feeling of exercise.

Then woke up this morning, said the meditations, and drank about 30 oz of water.

So far today food has been the following:
  • Breakfast = 2 hard boiled eggs, English muffin, Blackberries
  • Snack = Carrots + yogurt
  • Lunch = lettuce wrapped burger with cheese, tomato, and hot peppers + Pickle
  • Snack = Cheezits Extra Toasty

I’ve noticed that little decisions build up. I’m much more likely to succeed with food if I do the right things first: stay off my phone, get dressed right away, give myself plenty of time to get ready for work. These are all things I know to do… I just gotta actually do them!

Me too. Breakfast is all-important for me. I love your fitness affirmations :)
Thank you!!! I used to do an intermittent fast in the morning because I noticed I ate more throughout the day... but being pregnant, I get nauseous if I don't have something in my stomach first thing.

I tested positive for the dreaded virus on Tuesday. At first I thought it was just reeeally bad spring allergies over the weekend, but a bunch of people from A's office tested positive, so most likely he brought it home. He grabbed a bunch of free at home tests from sites around the city and I tested positive. He then took us both to a mobile clinic for confirmation and sure enough, I again tested positive. He tested negative for both PCR and rapid antibodies. lol - RUDE! We'll both take tests on Saturday (tomorrow) to see if we are out of the woods and testing negative.

Spent the rest of the week laying around the house not doing too much. I avoided the gym (obviously) and just wasn't up to much. So I moved a lot less and ate a lot more, sadly. Never lost my appetite, which was annoying. All I wanted to eat was junk food. (hit the Sour Patch kids pretty hard)

Now that I'm feeling better, I'm aiming to get back to healthy eating and moving more. I love reading about delicious healthy food for inspiration!
I stocked up on canned tuna and frozen veggies to have on hand. Lately we've been buying steak and fish and cooking at home more, which is delicious. Favorite meals are porterhouse or filet mignon with fresh asparagus.

An ideal day looks like this:
  • boiled eggs + english muffin + fruit; oatmeal
  • tuna + mayo, spring mix, blueberries
  • steak/ fish + asparagus
treats are things like Halo Top mango sorbet... omg delicious!!
Snacks are cheese and crackers

Sorry to hear about the Covid. Your ‘ideal day’ food plus snacks sounds delicious. Hope you get back into the groove again now that you are over the worst of it.

I'm glad that you are bouncing back so quickly from having covid. You'll soon be right back on track. It pays to eat well at home & be well-stocked. I must buy some frozen veg as we are 11 km from the nearest shop & I can't handle a day without veg, especially greens.

Apologies for the long absence! I'm now 32 weeks (ish) and getting really close...

Blood sugar has been fantastic this whole week (under 99 fasting every morning) feel like I've got it dialed. I aim for at least 120g of protein each day. If I want a higher carb/higher sugar treat, I have it in the morning and with fat and protein. So far it's been working for me!

If I thought I was big in May... heh... I'm much bigger now. Still haven't bought much of anything for the baby. We finally got a car seat/stroller combo, so at least we can take the kiddo home from the hospital. I have a whole list of things in my wishlist, but I'm trying to only buy what I absolutely need.

My weight has also stabilized around 165. I started out around 145/147 so I'm satisfied with that with about 6-7 more weeks to go.

Sounds like you're doing great: all the best for the home stretch!

Back