5x5 Deadlifts!

Looks like a good split. As long as you are careful what goes in on legs day. I do remember having tired arms on legs days before and suffering so they get used a bit.
The set up I have is in my profile and is ideal for me. The cage has cable set up and chins bar attached. No dumbells, I use discs and kettles instead. Not being in the UK will mean it will be a lot cheaper too, they extract the urine over here.

I like that setup. I'll have to look into an all-in-one cage setup.

Maybe not a big rack of dumb bells, but I love dumb bell presses. They give you a completely different feel than a flat bench. I'll switch it up with them every once in a while. 70lb - 100lb would be ideal.

I like the title of this thread. It's very...you.

There's a new gym opening up around the corner from my house and they're having a "soft" opening this week. One of those "sipping a frappuccino watcing hd tv on the tredmill" chains., but they claim they will have a good selection of free weights. I got a free day pass in the mail I might use tonight, but it's leg day, and I'm going to be disappointed if they don't have a squat cage. I could use the Smith if need be, but I really don't want to. It's worth a look though. I could jog there.

Never got my leg workout in this past weekend. I'm pretty upset about that, but family comes first.

I'm about to head out to my chest workout, but I'm going on another one of my "Five hours of sleep last night" days and I have nothing in the tank. If my girls keep waking me up at 4 in the morning like this, I'm going to start having to take advantage of it and going for a jog in the morning before I leave for work at 5:30. At least then, I won't feel like a disgusting load when I can't lift for crap that day. Here goes nothing...

Have a good run.

You know what sucks? I woke up at four this morning as well, but not because of my girls. I just woke up for no reason. I went right back to sleep, thankfully, but I looked at the clock and was like "You've got to be kidding me". I needed that extra hour though. Especially after my chest day yesterday.

Chest and Tri's 7/22

Bench Press - 135x8 - 135x8 - 170x6 - 170x6 - 190x4 - 190x4 - 205x2 - 215x1

Neck Press - 135x6 - 135x6 - 135x6

Incline Bench - 115x8 - 115x8 - 115x8

Dumb Bell fly(Weight of both dumb bells) - 40x8 - 60x6 - 60x6 - 60x6

Two-Handed Dumb Bell Tricep Extension - 60x6 - 60x6 - 60x6

Cable Overhead Tricep Extension - 60x8 - 60x8 60x8

One-handed dumb bell tricep extension - 20x8 - 20x8 - 20x8

I surprised myself today considering I only slept five hours Sunday night. Added 5lbs to my bench. I only got one rep out of it though, which I'm ok with seeing as I had zero energy. Everything else was basically the same. Went up in weight on the neck presses, which really put a burn into my upper chest. If that weren't enough, I finished it off with some light incline and flys. I would have liked to get some heavy reverse grip bench in, but I just didn't have it me. Still happy with what I did, though.

Some of my best sessions have caught me by suprise. I occasionally wonder if the body didn't have energy to apply the brakes and let me just get on with it.
Great when that happens.

My gym not being very close to my house is starting to get on my nerves. If I'm not going there on my way home from work, it's just a pain to drive there. On top of that, they have two separate rooms, and the cage I use to lift in is in the corner of the room where classes are held. This room is closed at 4pm and no one is allowed in for the rest of the day, so if I'm in there after 4pm, I'm s**t out of luck. The rest of the gym is crowded and mostly machines, which I don't use. Up to this point, I've made it work because I get off at 2:30, and am there by 3 and out by 4, but now, it looks like my job is being relocated across town and my hours are going to change from 6-2:30 to 7-4, as soon as Monday. I also can't just go out and change gyms, because there no more "real" gyms around here. There is one, but it's tiny with too much equipment and too many guys in there. When crowded, you barely walk through the place, and that's not an exaggeration. Besides that, all the other "gyms" around here are cookie cutter chain gyms(American Family, Golds, Planet Fitness, ect) with little to no free weights. There is one opening around the corner from my house that claims they will have a good free weight selection, but they are taking forever to set up. Let's put it this way, in December, they said would be open in February. In February they said April and in April they said June. They are "open" now, but they aren't rushing to get their free weights in there, because that's not where they're making they're money. They're making their money from everybody who wants to watch HD tv while they're on the treadmill. My main problem is the lack of space to set up a home gym so I don't have to depend on anybody else being open to get my workout in. I won't be in the market for another house for at least 2 years. It's really quite annoying, as you can see by the aforementioned rant.

I finally got a chance to get down to the new gym by my house, and for the most part, I retract the negative things I said about it. One the one hand, it is a cookie cutter gym with a "cardio cinema" and tv's on the treadmills, but the free weight area is more than adequate. I made a mistake when going there today though. I went a little more than an hour before dinner. In one aspect that's good because when I walked in the door roughly 10 minutes after my workout had ended, I had wheat spaghetti with home made sauce and meatballs. All the right carbs and protein I need, post. The bad part about going to the new gym when I did was that my back days tend to go a little longer than an hour because of my dead lifting, so I rushed it a bit and had some bad form with my deads. My lower back is telling me all about now. Anyway, today went as follows..

Dead Lift - 135x8 - 135x8 - 235x6 - 235x6 - 300x4 - 300x4 - 320x2 - 320x2

Barbell Row - 140x6 - 140x6 - 140x6 - 165x4 - 165x4 - 165x4

Close Grip Cable Pull-Down - 130x8 - 130x8 - 145x6 - 145x6 - 175x4 - 175x4 - 175x4(Extra Set)

Reverse Dumb Bell Fly(Weight of both dumb bells) - 60x6 - 70x6 - 70x6 - 90x4 - 90x4 - 90x4

Dumb Bell Curl - 70x8 - 70x8 - 70x8 - 90x6 - 90x6 - 90x6

Dead's went up another five pounds, which is always good, but at the cost of bad form. I also need to up my warm-up weight for my dead's. 135 is too light now. I could have done a bit more bicep work, but I was running late for dinner as it was. As I said, I was surprisingly pleased with the selection of free weights. They had 2 complete dumb bell racks, a squat cage, a smith, a flat bench, an incline bench and a decline bench. A couple rolling benches were in front of the dumb bell racks and they had quite an impressive cable cage. I don't use the cable cage for anything really besides tricep work and lat pull-downs, so this one is more than accommodating. They also have a plethora of machines. More than any gym I've seen. I won't get any use out of them, but they're still nice nonetheless. I will be canceling my membership at the gym I have been going to and will be joining this one at the beginning of next week, at a third of the monthly price I'm paying now, by the way. It will also be nice to be able to jog to the gym and back home. That will help with the cardio I have been missing out on as of late.

I would get in trouble jogging to my gym, running in the house is not allowed.

Looks like you have found a perfect spot.

Seems so. It's funny to because the guy working up front was apologizing because "they don't have all of the free weight stuff yet", so it seems there's going to be even more back there.

Last week was pretty hectic for me. My office is moving across town, so I was moving all week on top of my back bothering me still. I only got in a chest day on Thursday.

Decline Bench - 155x8 - 155x8 - 165x6 - 165x6 - 185x4 - 185x4 - 200x2 - 205x2 - 225x1

Incline Bench - 135x6 - 135x6 - 135x6

Dumb Bell Fly(Weight of two dumb bells) 50x8 - 50x8 - 60x6 - 60x6 - 80x4 - 80x4

Skull Crushers - 50x8 - 50x8 - 50x8 - 70x4 - 70x4 - 70x4

Overhead Cable Tricep Pull - 80x6 - 80x6 - 80x6 - 100x4 - 100x4 - 100x4

Cable Chest Fly - 60x6 - 60x6 - 60x6

I'm going to try to get back on my schedule this week, but as I said, my back still hurts, believe it or not. When I tweak something, I tweak it right.

Just finished getting over hurting my back. Really annoying, but I accept occasional injury as the cost for my chosen intensity. There is a limit to how often you can be over 95% of max before injury without misjudging it.
You are used to strengthening your back so will recover quicker than you expect and slower than you want. I think anything left of mine now is purely mental, wanting to be sure all is safe and worrying if not totally sure, that will wear off in about a month.

I never actually stopped doing the deadlifts etc. Just dropped to pathetic weights and built back up slowly, loved every minute of it as you will understand.

Get well soon. Hope the new office, hours and gym are good for you.

Thanks. It should be good for me(The move). The new office is closer to the highway, and I go in at 7 instead of 6 now, so I don't have to be in bed by 10 to get a decent nights sleep anymore, which I love. Going to bed that early drove me nuts. The only thing I don't like about it is that instead of leaving at 2:30 in the afternoon, I leave at 4 now, so now I'm going to have to be in and out of the gym in an hour to get home in time for dinner.

Back